Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LaurryG  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2011 07:59:47(UTC)
LaurryG

I have recently purchased the 12 tin-plate coach set. 00796
They do not have current conducting couplers, however interior lighting can be installed with lighting kit 7077 or 7320.

I have two questions..

First and foremost, it was suggested to me that if I were to purchase 12 of these lighting kits (and Im not 'too' concerned about cost, because I got the coach set at a good price) that all the pick-up shoes would produce alot of noise and drag.. But, that it would also drain alot of power from the system (more than a carriage set with current conducting couplers?)
How much of a concern is the above?

So, therefor, the second question is; can a person purchase current conducting couplers for such a set to ad it on and lose some of the problems inherit with the above question (ie. increase in drag, noise and power demand).

Thankyou very much for any help.

Lawrence
Offline Piggy  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2011 10:09:18(UTC)
Piggy

Australia   
Hi Lawrence, and first of all welcome to the forum. You are right about the drag and noise from all the pick-up shoes, but the power consumption would be the same as if you had current conductive couplers. The lighting kit you will install are with traditional bulbs so will need more power than newer LED based ones. But I think the old lighting set like 7320 would be perfect for those reissue tinplate cars.
Regards
Kenneth
CS1 update - K & C tracks - German Era 3B & 4, with some Swiss and Austrian visitors. - My Layout
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Piggy
Offline jsp  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2011 14:53:26(UTC)
jsp

I have four coaches from the 00796 tin-plate set (00796-01, 00796-02 and 00796-03) I thought that the 7320 lighting kit would work, but alas, it does not fit in these coaches. Just yesterday I fitted the 7077 lighting units, which work fine. The coaches and pick-up sliders are quite noisy on M-track, but I expected that!

Cheers to all.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jsp
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2012 18:23:56(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have a bunch of tin plate cars that I am lighting up too.
I am only having 1 or 2 sliders running per set. I am currently going to run wire throughout the rest of the trainset. I have an idea about using circuit board connectors but in individual male, female connections so that it looks like brake lines. This way I uncouple the cars easily. I will also use the LED light kits on a couple of cars (73400).

Once I find PN's of these connectors, I will let you know and send some pix. THe connectors I have in mind fit on the end of the LED boards.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 29 February 2012 02:08:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Lawrence,

You are absolutely right what you are saying and the 2 issues you've pointed out are a concern, a.) power consumption and noise.

The only other solution I could find is a.) find an interior lighting set (led's) that has a rectifer and b.) use a single wire right through the coaches and connect them that way but you would have to comprimise to have a train you can't separate.

an other option but a more radical, to cut off the coupling at a certain point and replace it with a NEM coupling shaft and superglue it to the remaining coupling, you than can use an electrical coupling.
Before doing so you have to make sure the coupling or bogy movement would not be restricted in any way and the buffers would not interfere with each other, if I remember correctly are part of the bogy and set back considerable.

a more remote option is: using the overhead system (not everyone has one), using a different power supply and a dining car with an overhead pantograph but you still would have to use a wire going right through all the carriages making it again a permanent train consist using the lighting kit you've mentioned.

What surprises me thou, Maerklin produces these sets, (12 coaches) but give no thoughts how on earth can you add a lighting set into all these coaches.
A railcar was produced, (3028, 3428) whereas the interior light for any additional carriage you had connectors inside of each carriage and the motorcar and you inserted a wire into these to be able to use the interior light in all the other carriages and by using this method again you had a permanent connected train because the connectors were inside.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#6 Posted : 29 February 2012 22:01:30(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: jsp Go to Quoted Post
I have four coaches from the 00796 tin-plate set (00796-01, 00796-02 and 00796-03) I thought that the 7320 lighting kit would work, but alas, it does not fit in these coaches. Just yesterday I fitted the 7077 lighting units, which work fine. The coaches and pick-up sliders are quite noisy on M-track, but I expected that!

Cheers to all.

Must admit the 7077 kits work well....just be careful that the sliders are aligned correctly (straight ahead!); the 7320 fits in the "old" dining cars-and really looks GOOD....as you say the noise, even on c track, is a bit bothersome...but when I switch on the sound effects of the locos.....the noise strangely disappears!! Laugh
I like the idea of a single slider, with "permanent" wire connections thru the coaches; just have to decide about not being able to uncouple the coaches tho....Unsure
Offline witzlerh  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2012 01:53:29(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have completed the addition of wire through the cars and have small connectors inbetween them. See this form for more details and pictures.
Running Power through Cars
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2012 02:06:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Lawrence,

welcome to the Forum. One quick question, you posted your question in the digital section of the forum. The older lighting was not designed for digital operation and the bulbs may get too hot with the continual voltage. You may have to add a rectifier and other circuitry.

The suggestion of running a cable connecting coaches is a feasible solution. The advantage of the metal coaches is that you only have to run one cable, as the ground can be taken from the coach body. If you want to digitally control the lights, you would have to run a dual cable from the decoder to the lights.

There are several manufacturers of LED lighting panels with variable lengths. These can be affixed to the coach roof using two sided tape and will allow you to install modern LEDs instead of the classic bulbs.

One other thought. I had a few problems with the Maerklin slider and wiring on some older coaches. The solution that I found was to use a Hag brand AC slider, which is mounted on two clips which anchor to the inside of the bogie, with a soldered cable that you run inside the coach. This slider pops in and remains straight, much like the sliders in the most recent locomotives. The Hag item number (old catalog) was 518.

I am currently using these Hag sliders to power the tail light on my 348/1 (4015) SBB coach and the interior lights (7320) on one of my 4066 SBB coaches.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2012 04:26:03(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
[....] The coaches and pick-up sliders are quite noisy on M-track, but I expected that!

Cheers to all.
[....]
I like the idea of a single slider, with "permanent" wire connections thru the coaches; just have to decide about not being able to uncouple the coaches tho....Unsure

Was thinking about the same idea myself, and using tiny bulbs, instead of kits.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 21 March 2012 08:15:48(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The coaches can easily be connected/disconnected by either using wires with miniature male-female connectors. Hag has had such a system for it's lighting kits since the 1960s at least. The Hag system involved standard Maerklin male/female plugs which would be pushed through the open end window of one of the coaches, leaving only a length of wire visible.

The other alternative would be the lighting system marketed by Rapido which involves battery powered LED lighting switched on and off by a magnetic wand
http://www.rapidotrains.com/light_ho.html
http://www.rapidotrains.com/light_n.html

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 21 March 2012 09:09:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I just thought of another option,

http://wwww.trainaidsa.com.

have bajonet Led's so using them, you would reduce the power consumption a lot.

John

Edited by user 21 March 2012 17:51:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline jeehring  
#12 Posted : 21 March 2012 09:48:52(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post

Cheers to all.

...(...)...
...I like the idea of a single slider, with "permanent" wire connections thru the coaches; just have to decide about not being able to uncouple the coaches tho....Unsure

Joe
with the "ETS" type of conducting couplers, we can uncouple them : 1/ manually(easy), 2/with the "electrical uncoupling track" too....However you need to install the NEM socket
Those couplers are different from the connecting bare...
TYPO ERROR :you should read "RTS" instead of "ETS"

Edited by user 22 March 2012 14:38:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline dntower85  
#13 Posted : 21 March 2012 17:52:59(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
You could try a lighting kit sold by Walthers called the "EZ-Pesi" lighting kit I think. It has a circuit board with leds and a reed switch connected to some button stile batteries.
The kit comes with a magnetic wand to activate the reed switch.

Some where i have the kit but never got around to installing it, I was going to have to modify (shorten) the circuit board to fit marklins shorter coaches.
it was an inexpensive kit.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline kskato  
#14 Posted : 22 March 2012 03:24:21(UTC)
kskato

I've used the N-scale EZ-Pizi light kit. [ The quantiy and quality of the lights in a car is a personal opinion thing ]

The N scale kit just lays in the 'cradle' of the tinplate cars frame under the roof.. Lights 3/4 of the length of the car.
Your right abought the length of the HO lite kits. I bought one of each in HO.
They are longggg for other HO passinger cars, not just the M* tinplates.

I tried to take a pic of my lit car but my chepo camara wont take a pic in the dark or I'd show you.
Howard