Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2011 15:18:52(UTC)
James

Canada   
Hello All:

I was surfing the Marklin web site lately and under the technical information page I saw the new switching power supply that Marklin is introducing to replace their transformersHuh.

My German is not very good, and the translation service for this page is, as usual, a mell of a hessConfused.

This is not the first time I have heard "rumors" of this device, however, from what I can discern, this item has not arrived on our (Canada) shores.Cursing

My question is this. Would anybody on the forum be able to explain to me the need for such a device and to just how such an item would benefit my system? Failing that, would anybody be able to direct me to a site or previous forum post where this item was discussed? As this item is not currently available, my dealers have no information about this item.

As well, from what I could discern from the web page, Marklin was offering replacements of these items for older trafo's?
Is this true, and if so, what is/was the deal?

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...BigGrin
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2011 15:30:06(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi James,all,
From what I've heard the EU wants to phase out transfo's,hence *I think* the introduction of the new power supply,...

Dr D
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2011 17:39:19(UTC)
H0

Hi, James,
EU requires power supplies to me more efficient. Normal transformers do not comply with the new requirements.

Bad news: so far M* offer 230 V versions of the power supplies only.

Other threads:
https://www.marklin-user...question.aspx#post257987
https://www.marklin-user...Reloaded.aspx#post230786
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2011 18:17:01(UTC)
H0

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline James  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2011 22:12:21(UTC)
James

Canada   
Hi Tom, Dr.D:

Thanks for the update. Is there any real advantage to using these new power controllers, or is this just an old girl with a new dress? I mean, I seem to recall Wolfgang L from the Eisenbahn Clinic mentioning them once. Do they offer anything of importance over and above the current transformers? I'll go to the sites that you mentioned Tom, hopefully they will enlighten meBigGrin

Sincerely

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2011 23:40:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: James Go to Quoted Post
Do they offer anything of importance over and above the current transformers?

In my humble opinion they do: they give you stabilized DC feeding the controller which leads to a very stable track voltage.
Some locos vary their speed if the track voltage varies, and stabilized power makes a big difference for them.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kbvrod  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2011 23:51:15(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
If you have transformers to power your layout(and other devices),not to worry to green police will leave you alone.

Dr Dirt
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2011 01:14:22(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
If you have transformers to power your layout(and other devices),not to worry to green police will leave you alone.

For now... Carbon tax is coming! Cursing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2011 02:53:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
For now... Carbon tax is coming! Cursing

The backward Aussies are just catching up to the rest of the world. Don't you just love your Julia?? Love Flapper Flapper