Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2010 01:42:58(UTC)
H0

Hi, folks!

On the HAG forum I found the following link (German only):
http://www.nexusboard.ne...2408&threadid=313771

Long story short: EU regulations require switching power supplies instead of transformers.
Märklin follows this requirement: no more transformers in 2010 starter sets!

The sets with a CS 2 include a 60 VA switching power supply.

Bad news for owners of CU 6021, Intellibox or Delta Control: these items will only work with AC, so keep your transformers.
Transformers will still be replaced. Dealers can still sell the transformers they have on stock.

CS 1 reloaded works much better with stabilized power supply. New CS 2 owners will also enjoy this benefit.

Edited by user 21 May 2010 00:51:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline old toot  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2010 04:15:29(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
that makes sense the one thing old transformers were known for was that their voltage was
always variable and over stated voltage. digital stuff is very critical so far as power needs which is why digital layouts need power input every 2 meters so a constant and even supply is available over all the layout, which makes for happy runningBigGrin BigGrin
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2010 04:49:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I can't see any downside to this decision! Now all M has to do is to up the CS2 current output to 4 amps to match the CS1 Reloaded.
Offline jeehring  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2010 18:57:42(UTC)
jeehring

old toot wrote:
that makes sense the one thing old transformers were known for was that their voltage was
always variable and over stated voltage. digital stuff is very critical so far as power needs which is why digital layouts need power input every 2 meters so a constant and even supply is available over all the layout, which makes for happy runningBigGrin BigGrin

Voltage is one thing.
Digital signal is another thing.
Or not ?
I'm not sure the "input" every 3 or 4 meters was for electrical power rather than integrity of digital code...Unsure .
Voltage may vary with load.
Digital signal may vary with distance
What about electrical resistance of the track ?
What about connections between pieces of Tracks ?
What is a "floating output" ?

(too many questions on my mind)

Unsure Unsure Unsure

Offline jeehring  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2010 19:02:54(UTC)
jeehring

Unsure Unsure Unsure

Offline gachar001  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2010 19:18:30(UTC)
gachar001

India   
What is a Switching Power Supply?
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Rinus  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2010 19:20:01(UTC)
Rinus

H0 wrote:
Hi, folks!

Bad news for owners of CU 6021, Intellibox or Delta Control: this items will only work with AC, so keep your transformers.
Transformers will still be repaired. Dealers can still sell the transformers they have on stock.

Can't imagine this is bad news for most non-CS 2 users. There are plenty transformers on the market (Viessmann, Uhlenbrock etc... ) often more powerfull an less expensive.
Offline rhobson1968  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2010 19:22:07(UTC)
rhobson1968

Supply and demand. Maybe the 12 or so Blue transformers I have will now sell on EBay for decent amount...Laugh
Never quit building.
Offline gundamman  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2010 21:36:36(UTC)
gundamman

That include everything, such as the 60055? Like I stated eariler, just jumpped into the hobby feet first within the past few months... And are there universal transformers that would work with the CS1?
I'd rather let 1000 guilty men get away, than chase after them.
Chief Wiggum
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2010 21:41:18(UTC)
H0

gundamman wrote:
And are there universal transformers that would work with the CS1?

You can buy switch-mode power supplies that take anything from 100 through 240 volts.
Or buy the ESU upgrade ("CS1 reloaded") that includes such a power supply.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2010 22:22:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
So what happens to analogue users? Is there no more facilty for running analogue unless you go second hand?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Breitenfurt  
#12 Posted : 29 January 2010 23:11:36(UTC)
Breitenfurt

gachar001 wrote:

A unit to convert one voltage (ac or dc) to another (dc). The unit contains a constant frequency oscillator followed by variable pulse width modulator followed by a heavy duty low pass filter. The wider the pulse (12V) (and, thus, the narrower the space (0V)) the higher the smoothed output voltage will be. Not sure though how to build an ac output one. Transformers are so simple in comparison.

Chris.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 29 January 2010 23:57:05(UTC)
H0

RayPayas wrote:
So what happens to analogue users? Is there no more facilty for running analogue unless you go second hand?

Wait and see.
Märklin's decision is based on EU regulations.
I had a short look at that regulation, but gave up as my Legalese is not too good.

Maybe this regulation does not apply to analogue model railroad, so transformers like 6647 may still be available.
And spare parts to replace existing items are allowed for 10 years (so maybe the 60052/60055 will be around for some more years).

The regulation applies to items that include a separate power supply.
The regulation definitely applies to starter sets - and those are all updated by M*.

I found no official information about this topic on the M* website.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline gachar001  
#14 Posted : 30 January 2010 00:19:24(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Chris Manvell wrote:
A unit to convert one voltage (ac or dc) to another (dc). The unit contains a constant frequency oscillator followed by variable pulse width modulator followed by a heavy duty low pass filter. The wider the pulse (12V) (and, thus, the narrower the space (0V)) the higher the smoothed output voltage will be. Not sure though how to build an ac output one. Transformers are so simple in comparison.

Chris.

Thanks.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline xxup  
#15 Posted : 30 January 2010 01:53:30(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
gachar001 wrote:

Thanks for asking this question...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline xxup  
#16 Posted : 30 January 2010 01:55:17(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Chris Manvell wrote:

Chris.

Thanks for the answer, but I am still not sure of the difference... So in goes 240V AC and out comes 17V DC.. Are the power supplies of the eCOS and CS1 already switching units?? Confused
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 30 January 2010 10:53:46(UTC)
H0

xxup wrote:
Are the power supplies of the eCOS and CS1 already switching units?? Confused

ECoS and CS1 reloaded come with stabilized power supplies (switch-mode power supplies).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Breitenfurt  
#18 Posted : 30 January 2010 11:00:49(UTC)
Breitenfurt

xxup wrote:
Thanks for the answer, but I am still not sure of the difference... So in goes 240V AC and out comes 17V DC.. Are the power supplies of the eCOS and CS1 already switching units?? Confused

No problem, though not the clearest of explanations. Switching power supplies are ideal for analogue train. In fact a friend of mine has been using a bespoke switching supply for low speed running (remember, the 'spike' voltage is the maximum voltage - gets round dirt) for while now. On the other hand I am not so sure how it would apply to AC. It may be a read herring.

Chris,
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 31 January 2010 12:54:26(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I tested my CS1 with power supply vs. transformer.
See here:
https://www.marklin-user...m=230786&#post230786
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#20 Posted : 16 February 2010 15:35:40(UTC)
jeehring

Don't you think that Brushless motors like Marklin SDS motors have better behaviour with switch mode power supply than with transformers ? (switch-mode power-supply is more suited to these motors)
Don't you think that those brushless SDS motors are more "sensible" than ordinary motors to the change of power unit ?
-Specially if running with a new kind of controler implementing "switch-mode power supply" instead of classical transformer with potentiometer
- Also under "digital regulation" ( with MS2 or CS2/CS1) ?

Also : in the future this new "swith mode" power supply will allow -probably- to add more accurate electronic devices on digital layouts ...(or not ?)

PS End 2008 I remember Trix France saying that Trix planned to produce a new kind of "transformer" more suitable for "SDS-motors" than old tranformers , to run them on analog 2 rails layouts. After 2008, 2009 came with restructuring...we haven't seen anything yet.
Offline Hi4ever  
#21 Posted : 16 February 2010 16:48:01(UTC)
Hi4ever

Hi!

I read in the Märklin Magazine nr 1/2010, that they would manufacture switching power supplies in 18VA, 32 VA, 60VA and 110VA.

/Anders

Offline john black  
#22 Posted : 17 February 2010 20:05:51(UTC)
john black

United States   
H0 wrote:
EU regulations require switching power supplies ... no more transformers

Thanks for information, Tom.
... bananas, cucumbers, light bulbs - and now MRR transformers Scared
Totally decadent bunch of gangsters. Throw 'em out of town.

For your relief, my friend - UserPostedImageours aren't better the least ...
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline RayF  
#23 Posted : 17 February 2010 20:35:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
If I'm reading this correctly, we will end up controlling analogue marklin trains with variable DC supplies. No longer will we be able to describe them as AC trains.

This is the end of an era.
Ray
Offline john black  
#24 Posted : 17 February 2010 21:04:52(UTC)
john black

United States   
You're right, Ray - it's the end of an era, alas (surely M isn't that unhappy about with the outlook of selling new controllers).
Luckily I've bought lotta starter sets in the past thus being well equipped with spare transformers for years to come UserPostedImage
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Hemmerich  
#25 Posted : 18 February 2010 17:19:42(UTC)
Hemmerich

RayPayas wrote:
If I'm reading this correctly, we will end up controlling analogue marklin trains with variable DC supplies.

Easy answer: YES! (most older Märklin models are equipped with an "all current motor"). BigGrin

Edited by user 21 February 2010 15:18:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline hxmiesa  
#26 Posted : 18 February 2010 17:30:26(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hemmerich wrote:
RayPayas wrote:
If I'm reading this correctly, we will end up controlling analogue marklin trains with variable DC supplies.

Easy answer: NO! BigGrin

Thank you for this clear and usefull information.
A really in-depth explication of the subject at hand.
Impressively enlightening!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline john black  
#27 Posted : 18 February 2010 18:06:07(UTC)
john black

United States   
Comment removed by Webmaster 2010-02-21 20:29.

Though there never a question was asked by us - statements it been Ray and me had made. Oh well ... RollEyesLOL

Edited by moderator 21 February 2010 21:29:33(UTC)  | Reason: triple-avatar added

Offline RayF  
#28 Posted : 18 February 2010 18:53:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hemmerich wrote:
RayPayas wrote:

Easy answer: NO! BigGrin

Glad to hear it. Would you like to elaborate? How will they generate the AC?
Ray
Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 18 February 2010 21:37:05(UTC)
H0

RayPayas wrote:
If I'm reading this correctly, we will end up controlling analogue marklin trains with variable DC supplies. No longer will we be able to describe them as AC trains.

I don't think so.
Digital locos can also be used for analog operation - but old locos won't run on DC, so there must be some sort of AC to use all locos.
Analog transformers will be available for a few more years as replacements (I'm not even sure if they are affected by the EU regulations if sold separately).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#30 Posted : 19 February 2010 00:27:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
H0 wrote:
RayPayas wrote:

I don't think so.
Digital locos can also be used for analog operation - but old locos won't run on DC, so there must be some sort of AC to use all locos.
Analog transformers will be available for a few more years as replacements (I'm not even sure if they are affected by the EU regulations if sold separately).

Tom, you are mistaken. A traditional Marklin analogue loco will run perfectly well on DC. Try it!

Of course getting the reversing pulse requires a higher voltage.
Ray
Offline H0  
#31 Posted : 19 February 2010 00:44:44(UTC)
H0

RayPayas wrote:
Tom, you are mistaken. A traditional Marklin analogue loco will run perfectly well on DC. Try it!

You got me wrong, pay attention to the first half of my sentence: old digital locos won't run on DC.
New digital locos will run on DC and will change the direction if the polarity changes (if DC is enabled).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#32 Posted : 19 February 2010 00:51:23(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
H0 wrote:
RayPayas wrote:

You got me wrong, pay attention to the first half of my sentence: old digital locos won't run on DC.
New digital locos will run on DC and will change the direction if the polarity changes (if DC is enabled).

Sorry Tom, I misunderstood you.

I would have thought an old digital loco would still run in one direction on DC, but I must admit I haven't tried that.
Ray
Offline klinge-germany  
#33 Posted : 19 February 2010 17:29:53(UTC)
klinge-germany

hmmm,seems to me that 'real' analogue operation with of M items is no longer possible, but as said earlier there should be thousands of trafos available second hand at ebay or others. but.... the 'charity' action of M from the last year(s) 'exchange your old blue transformers' for 'little' money becomes a 'stock clearance' behaviour for me... another marketing trick of them...
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
Offline john black  
#34 Posted : 19 February 2010 18:48:31(UTC)
john black

United States   
klinge-germany wrote:

... the 'charity' action of M from the last year(s) 'exchange your old blue transformers' for
'little' money becomes a 'stock clearance' behaviour for me ... another marketing trick of them ...

Hi Alfred, excellent UserPostedImageUserPostedImage - great comparison !!!

Reminds me a bit of them bastard clowns crawling out of the woods, nowadays,
and talking sheep into giving their precious gold for toilet paper "money" ... UserPostedImage

And of course I agree with your view re the end of classic analog operation. At least for those not in the know.

Hope you're fine, my friend !
John

Offline Piggy  
#35 Posted : 19 February 2010 20:21:11(UTC)
Piggy

Australia   
I'm would like to know exactly what the EU rules says, regarding operating toys/equiptment requireng an AC power source in order operate. Not just what I read in the Marklin Magazine.
Regards
Kenneth
CS1 update - K & C tracks - German Era 3B & 4, with some Swiss and Austrian visitors. - My Layout
Offline David Dewar  
#36 Posted : 19 February 2010 20:38:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
For a start here in the UK all transformers etc should be fitted with a UK three pin plug but nobody seems to bother when it comes to German model rail. Retailers should ensure that what they are selling conforms to the laws of their country but most Marklin sellers here are clueless even about what they sell never mind if it is dangerous.
However I reckon nobody died so it is ignored.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline H0  
#37 Posted : 21 May 2010 00:49:57(UTC)
H0

Märklin write on their home page that the 32 VA transformers for analog operation (6646, 6647, ...) will still be available as the new EU regulations do not apply to them.
Nothing changes for analog drivers.
The German text can be found here:
http://www.maerklin.de/d...fos/schaltnetzteile.html
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline DamonKelly  
#38 Posted : 21 May 2010 13:45:56(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Since this topic has been livened-up, I'll add some comments.

1. The banning of transformers is for safety reasons: if you connect the output of a 240V to 16V transformer to the output terminals of another 240V to 16V transformer, you get 240V on the mains plug of that second transformer. Not safe. Also impossible to prevent with a simple transformer.

2. It is quite possible to generate low-voltage AC using a switch mode supply. A battery to mains invertor does something just like that -- it converts 12Vdc for 240Vac. Imagine the same thing, but 240Vac input to intermediate Vdc to 16Vac (or variable Vac). It's true that I don't know of any off-the-shelf unit that does that, but it's not fundamentally difficult.
Hmmm, a possible niche market...Wink
Cheers,
Damon
Offline RayF  
#39 Posted : 21 May 2010 14:58:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
DamonKelly wrote:
Since this topic has been livened-up, I'll add some comments.

1. The banning of transformers is for safety reasons: if you connect the output of a 240V to 16V transformer to the output terminals of another 240V to 16V transformer, you get 240V on the mains plug of that second transformer. Not safe. Also impossible to prevent with a simple transformer.

2. It is quite possible to generate low-voltage AC using a switch mode supply. A battery to mains invertor does something just like that -- it converts 12Vdc for 240Vac. Imagine the same thing, but 240Vac input to intermediate Vdc to 16Vac (or variable Vac). It's true that I don't know of any off-the-shelf unit that does that, but it's not fundamentally difficult.
Hmmm, a possible niche market...Wink

Hi Damon,

I think the safety problem of connecting the two transformers back to back had already been addressed by Marklin in the white transformer, hence their free swap offer a couple of years ago.

These latest EU rules relate to energy efficiency, in particular regarding equipment that has a "standby" mode. As an analogue trainset has no such standby mode the Marklin analogue transformers are exempt from this EU directive.
Ray
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#40 Posted : 21 May 2010 15:50:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Marklin will publish some more info on this issue in an article in an upcoming edition of the Marklin Magazine.
Offline H0  
#41 Posted : 21 May 2010 16:20:28(UTC)
H0

DamonKelly wrote:

Märklin solved this problem years ago with a TRIAC on the 230 V side.
Therefore 60052/60055 and current 6647/6647 do not have this back-transformation risk.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline DamonKelly  
#42 Posted : 21 May 2010 18:55:22(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
H0 wrote:
DamonKelly wrote:

Märklin solved this problem years ago with a TRIAC on the 230 V side.
Therefore 60052/60055 and current 6647/6647 do not have this back-transformation risk.

Thanks Tom, yes a triac is an obvious (in hindsight) solution! Blushing
My experience with Märklin AC is the old ('60s) variable transformers, so I never considered such a simple solution.
In my defence, I did say "a simple transformer" Blushing Blushing Blushing
My electronic design career is low voltage, data acquisition and microcontroller stuff...

And Ray, I agree, an analog variable transformer would surely have an extremely low "standby" current. So if the analog transformers are exempt, why are Märklin abandoning them (if they indeed are)?
Cheers,
Damon
Offline H0  
#43 Posted : 21 May 2010 21:53:07(UTC)
H0

DamonKelly wrote:
So if the analog transformers are exempt, why are Märklin abandoning them (if they indeed are)?

I wrote in #37 that 6647 and 6646 are kept in production because they are not affected by the new EU requirements.

It seems there are currently no analog starter sets in their programme.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage