Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Upperdecker  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2011 23:51:11(UTC)
Upperdecker

It only works on power settings above 1/2. Any idea what's wrong or how to open it up?
I'm pretty handy with electronics but I have no idea how to open it!
Please help.
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2011 01:08:44(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello Upperdecker,

this is not the first post regarding problems with the current Maerklin transformers. I presume that you have tested the transformer and that it is providing voltage from the brown and yellow sockets. You indicate that there is little or no voltage from the brown and red leads unless the dial is past the halfway point.

Maerklin's transformers have been sealed units for many years now. Many people have repaired their transformers by opening them up and then replacing the clips with other forms of fixation to keep the transformer closed after repairs.
You can consult the other topics for hints and details on how to open the transformer and get at the innards:

https://www.marklin-user...Transformer-Problem.aspx
https://www.marklin-user...ormer-problem--6667.aspx
https://www.marklin-user...sformer-Repair-Quiz.aspx

If the transformer is still providing full voltage via the yellow and brown sockets, it may be possible to use the transformer to power a 6021 digital control from it.
If your transformer is recent, I would contact your Maerklin dealer.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Upperdecker  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2011 02:15:40(UTC)
Upperdecker

Thanks Mike,
That’s exactly the info I was looking for. Looks like I have a dead spot on the variostat just like so many other people with this model. This was my first Marklin purchase in almost 30 years. I'm trying to get into the hobby again with my kids and bought some C-track too. The c-track is so nice for my temporary layouts but I had one track break already. I'm getting the feeling that Marklin quality is not as bulletproof as it used to be back in the day. I'm thinking about going digital and using this transformer with a mobile station but I’ll post about that later. Thanks.
Offline Upperdecker  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2011 04:15:00(UTC)
Upperdecker

I took the transformer apart and found the white wire from the red dial (aka the rheostat wiper) was broken under the wire insulation, possibly from metal fatigue or perhaps it had been pinched during assembly. I’m a little surprised that the broken wire gave such a consistent dead spot between the transformers indicated 50-150 power level and didnt just fail to work completly. Taking the transformer apart does not appear to be possible without drilling or using brute force to separate the halves. Marklin assembles the transformer using four little plastic dowels and I can’t see any way to separate the halved without drilling these dowels out or shearing them by prying the halves apart. For the re-assembly I used short #8 machine screws in the dowel holes. Hope this helps the next person who has the dreaded 6646 dead spot.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Upperdecker
Offline White Buffalo  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2018 15:19:58(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
I did the same, I drilled out the 4 plastic dowels on the sides (2 on each side) and the cover popped right off. Experienced the same issue with one of my 6646 Transformers, the wire connecting the control slider broke as soon as I applied a little bit of pressure.

Can I replace this with a copper wire or is that not a good idea?

Rich
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2018 19:29:40(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Rich

I don't have a 6646 but I have repaired a 278 Transfo of 1953 based on the same principle: the secondary winding is coiled very precisely so a slider get various voltages from 7 V till 14 V.

You may replace the wire with a flexible, insulated wire suited for 1 Amp minimum if there is no doubt were to solder it.
Check the overvoltage contact and cabling
Make a resonnable length loop so there will be no stress on the wire after a long usage and the the loop will not get caugt somewhere while turning the knob.
Also, make sure to verifiy the power cord is not damaged especially if used by children.
Bonne chance

Jean
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 12 October 2018 22:55:54(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Upperdecker Go to Quoted Post
Marklin assembles the transformer using four little plastic dowels and I can’t see any way to separate the halved without drilling these dowels out or shearing them by prying the halves apart.

Too late for you now; but for everybody else wanting to take these dowels out:

Drill a 1,5 or 2 mm hole in the center of the dowel, and find a small screw meant for wood.

You can now screw the screw ( Confused BigGrin ) into the hole and then pull the dowel out by pulling the screw.

After fixing the internal problem in the unit, the dowels can be used again, now just with a tiny hole in them.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline PJMärklin  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2018 08:08:32(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Upperdecker Go to Quoted Post
It only works on power settings above 1/2. Any idea what's wrong or how to open it up?
I'm pretty handy with electronics but I have no idea how to open it!
Please help.

https://www.marklin-user...ra-controller#post554872
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 14 October 2018 09:51:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
......find a small screw meant for wood.

The C-track mounting screws are ideal for this purpose.

Offline Eurobahnfan  
#10 Posted : 15 October 2018 05:00:12(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Although I've yet to experience this issue, I have often wondered: are there any Maerklin compatible transformers to consider when operating older, analog equipment?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 15 October 2018 12:05:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes of course, the Marklin 66470 is the currently available analog transformer.

You can also find plenty of the older but similar 6647 transformer on eBay.

I don't know if there is a 120v version of 66470, but 6646 is the 110v version of 6647.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 15 October 2018 15:46:47(UTC)
H0

Märklin 66471 is the current transformer for 230 V and it's available at the factory (66470 is sold out at the factory).
6646 is the current transformer for 120 V and it's available at the factory.

I assume the question is about third-party transformers. I don't know if Titan are still in business.
There are many third-party transformers for fixed voltages like 16 V, 15 V, 17 V, 18 V, but I'm not aware of current makers with adjustable voltage and the over-voltage pulses to reverse the direction.

This dealer shows Titan 907 as "in stock":
http://www.roundhouse.ch.../titan_transformator.htm
I don't know if they also offer products for 120 V.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Danlake  
#13 Posted : 15 October 2018 22:01:56(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I had a look on Stummi forum and was unable to find any systemic issues with the newer type Marklin transformers?

I wonder if this only relates to the older 6646 and 6647?

The 66471 is slightly different with a seperate on/off switch and I believe manufactured from 2017 and onwards. Could be that Marklin have improved the wiring on newer models, or at least we could hope so. That of course still leaves it open why there is not a newer 66461 model for the US market...

Best Regards
Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 16 October 2018 08:14:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
That of course still leaves it open why there is not a newer 66461 model for the US market...
The EU has requirements for stand-by power. A physical switch on the 230 V side ensures very low stand-by power.

US requirements are different.

It looks as if the 6646 vanished from the catalogue years ago and they only sell the remaining stocked items. Maybe a new production run (if any) will have the switch, too.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0