Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline walters48  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2011 22:34:27(UTC)
walters48

United States   
About a year and a half ago I bought the above from a reputable US eBay dealer and had no problems w/ it until I moved my layout from the 2nd floor to my dry finished basement. Last night when test running a new (to me) 3005, the loco would stall when I turned the transformer dial beyond "150". I replaced the 3005 w/ my old reliable 3000-- same thing. I was able to replicate the problem on the bench w/ a volt meter: as I turned the dial up to around "150", the voltage would increase gradually from around 3.5 to between 10 to 12.5 VAC at around "150" then immediately drop off to around 1.5 VAC. The accessory voltage is normal at a steady 18 VAC. Any ideas?
Offline arconell  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2011 00:23:33(UTC)
arconell

Hi Walters,

The transformer is a variac, with a slider running across the secondary windings when you turn the knob. Looks like that part of the windings where the problem occurs are either dirty or roasted/oxidized. To solve it you´ll have to take the housing off and clean the windings and the slider. Alternatively you can try to just take off the red knob, if you can see the slider through the opening of the casing use some contact cleaning spray, turn the knob several times and hope for the best.

Robert

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by arconell
Offline walters48  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2011 01:42:48(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Thanks Robert.
I tried pulling the red knob off, but it didn't want to budge and I didn't want to force it and break something. Is there a trick/ method for taking it off w/o breaking anything?
Another question. Unlike the older transformers w/ the wound wire rheostats, I thought maybe these newer ones might have a newer technology that more resembled a sealed potentiometer. Have you ever seen the inside of the newer "white" transformers? Is there an "exploded view" available anywhere?
Chas
Offline arconell  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2011 16:39:37(UTC)
arconell

Hi Chas,
Had a quick look at my 6647, which is probably the same except for the primary voltage. You will have to take it apart, on the left and right side top half you´ll find 4 small plastic plugs. It looks like they hold the two halves together. How to get them out I don´t know, I would try to drill them out carefully. I don´t have access to any further information as to how the transformer is constructed but judging from the outside I think that once you have removed the top half, the knob will come off with it, freeing up the actual slider mechanism. I pretty sure it is the old type of slider mechanism, when turning the knob you can feel the contact scraping across the wires of the secondary coil. To put it back together again you´ll have to replace the plastic plugs with fitting self-tapping screws taking care that they are of the right lenght so that only the casing is held together without them touching any metal parts inside. Hope this helps you to get it going again,

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by arconell
Offline LA2019  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2013 04:44:41(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
This is an older thread but I was having the same problem as walters48 with my 32VA transformer; no power below 150 on the scale. I wanted to figure out what was going on and maybe how to fix the transformer.

Getting into the transformer was not exactly easy but I did do it with my handy Dremel tool. I used the cut-off wheel and cut the transformer in half along the seam that bonds the top and bottom.

The problem with the transformer (and I suppose most with the same problem) is the white wire that goes from the wiper arm to the top right corner of the board. It is a very fine wire (24-26 gauge?) that (I believe) over time gets pinched in such a fashion that continuity is lost when the wiper is used below 150 or so.

The fix was just to remove the old wire and solder in new piece. I used 20 gauge wire. I taped the transformer back together and all is well!

The first picture is with the old wire while the second picture shows the new wire....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
LA2019 attached the following image(s):
IMG_8575.JPG
IMG_8576.JPG
Ken
USofA
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LA2019
Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2013 16:29:19(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: LA2019 Go to Quoted Post

Getting into the transformer was not exactly easy but I did do it with my handy Dremel tool. I used the cut-off wheel and cut the transformer in half along the seam that bonds the top and bottom.

I still have yet to try this with my spare tranfo as we discussed in the old thread. Once you got the cover off, were you able to see if there was an easier way to get it opened? To me, it looks like it's a one-way assembly, I don't' think there is any way to open it once it's put together...so a cutting method as you suggest is required. It looks to me like there are four "posts" that hold the cover on, I was thinking about carefully drilling out the holes where the posts connect to the top cover to remove it. Based on your experience what do you think?

-Brandon
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 05 December 2013 17:12:43(UTC)
H0

See post #4 for instructions on opening that thing. The four "posts" are the way to go.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline LA2019  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2013 23:40:51(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
"Houston, we have a problem!"

I went to start up the transformer the other morning at it was dead!

I took the unit apart and the copper wire I used broke at the solder joint from too much flexing. It just fell off. The tech in the back had some multi-strand stainless steel wire that he soldered in and the train was back up and running.

I should have known that the copper was going to fail sooner or later. Eventually, I'll find another piece of solid core stainless (like the original) and solder that back into the transformer.
Ken
USofA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LA2019