Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wolfk88  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2010 20:06:25(UTC)
wolfk88

Greetings, I've lostCrying the tiny cylinder that slides inside the smoke generator of my old locomotive 3048. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement. Thanks.
Grusse, ich habe den kleinen zilinder vom rauchsatz meiner lokomotief 3048 verlorenCrying . Wie kann mann ersatz dampfrohr(e) in USA besorgen? Vielen dank.

Offline spitzenklasse  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2010 21:16:15(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Yes Wolf, the Walthers catalogue/website has them. I think they are by Suethe. Sometimes, they are included with the generator kits.
Offline Lollo  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2010 22:12:30(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi,
The replacement Seuthe part is, No.200. They come in a pack of five needles. Should cost under $10.00 US dollars.
Available here, Eurobahntrains sells them individually as No.200EA
http://www.eurobahntrain...and=Seuthe&gauge=All
Or just contact any dealer selling Seuthe & they should be able to order them for you.

Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2010 22:41:46(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Lollo wrote:
Hi,
The replacement Seuthe part is, No.200. They come in a pack of five needles. Should cost under $10.00 US dollars.
Or just contact any dealer selling Seuthe & they should be able to order them for you.

Brian.

Hi Brian...Excuse the ignorance....what do the "needles"do?/what are they for?
M track Joe
Offline wolfk88  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2010 02:38:36(UTC)
wolfk88

spitzenklasse wrote:
Yes Wolf, the Walthers catalogue/website has them. I think they are by Suethe. Sometimes, they are included with the generator kits.

Thank you spitz, I checked Walthers and indeed they have the kit, but it is pricey if I only need the tube.
Offline wolfk88  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2010 02:44:06(UTC)
wolfk88

Lollo wrote:
Hi,

Brian.

Thank you Brian, your link led me exactly to the part I want. It is a tough website to navigate as I would also like to get tires for the same engine. If you could send a link I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Offline Lollo  
#7 Posted : 05 December 2010 06:55:22(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Joe Meiring wrote:
Lollo wrote:
Hi,

Brian.

M track Joe

Hi Joe,
The needle is where the smoke oil is vapourised through. The tube in the smoke unit is only to house the needle and is part of the heating element. With out the needle, you get hardly any smoke at all.
I hope that's accurate enough.
Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline BR01097  
#8 Posted : 05 December 2010 07:16:04(UTC)
BR01097

United States   
Lollo wrote:
Joe Meiring wrote:
Lollo wrote:
Hi,

Brian.

M track Joe

Hi Joe,
The needle is where the smoke oil is vapourised through. The tube in the smoke unit is only to house the needle and is part of the heating element. With out the needle, you get hardly any smoke at all.
Cheers,
Brian.

I have similar confusion here: is there a filament inside the needle? From the outside, visibly is the smoke unit housing and a hollow tube, which is presumably being referred to as "the needle". But the smoke unit kit contains a pin for cleaning the tube and some kind of long, thin wire for an unknown purpose. Please explain in greater detail.

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 05 December 2010 10:11:59(UTC)
H0

BR01097 wrote:
But the smoke unit kit contains a pin for cleaning the tube and some kind of long, thin wire for an unknown purpose.

The kits contain a long thin wire for cleaning the tube and a spare tube for replacements.
The Märklin kits include a pin that could be used to open and close the small plastic thingy with smoke fluid that used to come with the Märklin kits; they took the smoke fluid out, but still include a pin.

Kits from Seuthe are more expensive, but they include smoke fluid and a syringe to apply it. No obsolete pins included here.

Here's a picture of the kit with the smoke fluid plastic thingy:
http://www.reynaulds.com/images/Marklin/7226.jpg
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 05 December 2010 18:43:50(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#11 Posted : 06 December 2010 22:29:06(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Lollo wrote:
Joe Meiring wrote:
Lollo wrote:
Hi,

Brian.

M track Joe

Hi Joe,
Cheers,
Brian.

Thanx Brian.....that explains why I'm not getting smoke - I have no needle in the "chimney" - it does smoke when I operate the reverse unit a few times vigorously, but not when the engine is running normally. So is the needle actually a very small "hollow tube" thru which the smoke comes out?
Thanks for the trouble taken to reply! M track Joe