Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2010 07:07:08(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
On my new layout I have a few tracks that will be hidden and I will want to determine when a train is getting close to the end of the track so it doesn't hit the bumper. I am running my layout using the Mobile Station. I was planning on simply cutting one of the outer rails and making an isolated track and then wiring a small light bulb between the broken track and the center rail. When a wheelset rolls over the isolated track the circuit will be completed and the light bulb will turn on and I will know that the track is occupied.

I have a couple questions concerning this.

1) Will this cause any problem with the Mobile Station?

2) What is the current flowing through the rails with the Mobile station?

3) What kind of LED / Light bulb and circuit could I use that would take the current from the track and reduce it so that the bulb wouldn't burn out and it wouldn't impact train performance.

4) And finally, if I only use say 2 or 3 of these circuits will that cause current drain that would be significant enough to cause any performance problems?

Thanks for the help on this.

Chris
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2010 09:51:14(UTC)
H0

The Mobile Station can deliver 1200 mA or 1900 mA (depends on the version) to the track.
An LED consumes 20 mA (normal LED) or 2 mA (low-current LED), so this should have no impact.
Light bulbs typically consume 20 mA through 100 mA, depending on their type.
Three LEDs won't have an impact.

When using LEDs: you need at least a diode to protect the LED; use a bridge rectifier for flicker-free LED light; you need a resistor (value depends on the type of LED used). 1000 Ohm (1k) and 0.5 W is a good value for a standard LED (20 mA).
With light bulbs no diodes or rectifiers are needed; try light bulbs for 24 V with low current.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Online David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2010 12:38:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If you use the Marklin contact track and connect a bulb (ordinary type bulb for lighting buildings etc will do) when the loco runs through the track the bulb will light then go out again and you can stop the loco. This way you do not have to have bulbs constantly on. This will stop the loco hitting the bumper but you would need to remember that the track is occupied.
I use this for trains in tunnels so I know which part of the tunnel the train has reached.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Writhdar  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2010 16:46:19(UTC)
Writhdar

you might be interested in this post https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=16403 . I believe Martin has the system functioning. I haven't tried it as I was already building over hidden track when I first learned about it - if I were starting at the beginning, I would definitely try it out.

Another possibility is wireless control so you can walk around to the area in question - this is what I may do if I can find an economical, satisfactory system for running Marklin locos wirelessly .
Offline Chris6382chris  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2010 17:06:23(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Everyone thanks for your response. I think I am going to go the LED route. Tom is there a schematic which shows how I should wire the LED, diode, resistor and bridge rectifier together? My guess is I will visit my local Radio Shack to find the parts.

Thanks again everyone.

Chris

H0 wrote:
The Mobile Station can deliver 1200 mA or 1900 mA (depends on the version) to the track.
An LED consumes 20 mA (normal LED) or 2 mA (low-current LED), so this should have no impact.
Light bulbs typically consume 20 mA through 100 mA, depending on their type.
Three LEDs won't have an impact.

When using LEDs: you need at least a diode to protect the LED; use a bridge rectifier for flicker-free LED light; you need a resistor (value depends on the type of LED used). 1000 Ohm (1k) and 0.5 W is a good value for a standard LED (20 mA).
With light bulbs no diodes or rectifiers are needed; try light bulbs for 24 V with low current.

Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2010 20:58:44(UTC)
H0

Chris6382chris wrote:
Tom is there a schematic which shows how I should wire the LED, diode, resistor and bridge rectifier together?

Here is one:
http://www.standlicht.rn.../images/SchaltplanAA.gif

Leave away C1 and R6.
B1 is the bridge rectifier - A is plus, B is minus.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Chris6382chris  
#7 Posted : 07 November 2010 02:12:22(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks Tom, I will give this a try.

Chris
Offline Chris6382chris  
#8 Posted : 29 June 2011 08:14:16(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
I know it has been a while since I posted on this topic but I am finally building my new layout and am ready to make some contact tracks and wire the LEDs up. Using the method I described above, I am simply going to wire the LED with the correct resistor to the contact track I have made. If I do not include a bridge rectifier will I really get alot of flicker in the LED?

Thanks for the help.

Chris
Offline jørnet  
#9 Posted : 29 June 2011 13:52:27(UTC)
jørnet

I just need space, money and time - That's all
Offline dntower85  
#10 Posted : 29 June 2011 14:33:11(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
I know it has been a while since I posted on this topic but I am finally building my new layout and am ready to make some contact tracks and wire the LEDs up. Using the method I described above, I am simply going to wire the LED with the correct resistor to the contact track I have made. If I do not include a bridge rectifier will I really get alot of flicker in the LED?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

You can get a small bridge rectifier chip form a good electronic shop. It will cost less maybe as low as 50 cents and will be smaller than 4 diodes.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline efel  
#11 Posted : 29 June 2011 14:37:10(UTC)
efel

France   
If I do not include a bridge rectifier will I really get alot of flicker in the LED?

Chris

Hi,
You will get flickering.
Now, it's up to you to decide if it is really annoying. The best is to test it and make up your mind.
Nevertheless, if you don't use a bridge rectifier, you should protect the LED with a diode, for reliability.
So, why not use a bridge rectifier? It's hardly more expensive.
(As H0 said, a capacitor is not needed.)
Fred
Offline Writhdar  
#12 Posted : 29 June 2011 14:51:07(UTC)
Writhdar

if you simply want to be aware of occupancy, see http://www.azatrax.com/detector-installation.html

I use these for my hidden stations and they are very effective, inexpensive, and simple to install
Offline Chris6382chris  
#13 Posted : 29 June 2011 19:14:33(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: dntower85 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the help.

Chris

You can get a small bridge rectifier chip form a good electronic shop. It will cost less maybe as low as 50 cents and will be smaller than 4 diodes.

Ok, so a bridge rectifier, resistor and LED. The bridge rectifiers I have seen have multiple prongs, how do I wire that? I mean I know how to wire a resistor and LED together and to the track but where does the bridge rectifier fit in? I am not great on reading schematics so I apologize for the ignorance and thanks for the help.

Chris
Offline efel  
#14 Posted : 29 June 2011 21:06:09(UTC)
efel

France   
you're welcome
Offline Chris6382chris  
#15 Posted : 30 June 2011 04:55:36(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Good news, went to radio shack got the parts I needed and I know have my first contact track working. Thanks for the info everyone.