Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Purellum  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2010 21:53:17(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

In another topic it was advised to use car batteries as power supply for your controllers,
due to their ability to hold a constant voltage.

Trying to keep topics separated, I've started this topic about the dangers of using car batteries indoors or as power supply for MRR controllers.

1: Car batteries can explode if accidentally shorted with a strong enough wire or tool.
My friend Arne Petersen has a glass eye because of dropping a spanner on a car battery, it exploded.

2: When charged, a car battery produces an explosive gas mixture of hydrogen and oxygen, which under normal conditions dissipates.
If the battery is kept in a closed box, the explosive mixture will fill the box, and a spark can ( Will !!! ) make it explode.

3: A 60 Ah car battery are build to deliver > 600 Amps current for starting the car, this current is delivered so fast and strong that most electronic
current limiters don't react fast enough, which in the case with a MS, CS or 6021 / 6015 / 6017 will cause the device to let the expensive smoke out.
Older devices such as Delta 6604 or 66045 has a bimetallic fuse which is far too slow for the current from a car battery.

http://www.google.dk/ima...ql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2049030
http://forums.x-plane.or...ndex.php?showtopic=14377
http://en.wikipedia.org/...ry_(electricity)#Hazards
http://en.wikipedia.org/...tery#Exploding_batteries

Google can give you many more examples Wink

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2010 22:16:57(UTC)
H0

In another topic it was said that UPSs also contain batteries. True.

But those batteries feed an AC generator that will provide 230 V AC (or other household voltages) to your computers. Those AC generators do not support the full power of the battery.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dntower85  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2010 22:32:18(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
There are several companies producing equipment for off grid applications, that use car batteries with solar, wind and hydroelectric generators.
Some have cabinets for outside or garage storage, and come with some type of power inverter for AC applications. Some have 12V, 18V, and 24V DC outputs So there are ways to run a controller off a battery, I plug my cellphone in to my car all the time, it and draws as much amps as needed but has a fuse in the adapter in case of a short.
I would just have a fast acting 2amp fuse in place, that would keep the smoke in and not weld the Wheels to the track if the train derails.
Even better would be a Current limiting circuits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_limiting
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline arconell  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2010 23:08:09(UTC)
arconell

Hi Purellum,

You are absolutely right, all these things can happen! What I don't understand is that you don't plea for a total ban on all batteries world wide. My advice: don't ever come close to any car, lorry, airplane (they have batteries too), mobile phone, camping (people use solar panels there with batteries), caravan, computer, torch...

By the way, search for exploding gas tanks, laundry washers, TV sets, tires, airplanes, stoves, ovens, mobile phones, want more?

I don't want to be pedantic but this is ludicrous, nobody, not I even said that you should use a battery, I said you can use one.

By the way, my stepmother died today, may she rest in peace. At the blessed age of 98 years and as a result of falling out of her bed (this is true). I think I will go to bed now or do you think that that is too dangerous?

Ps: if the forum administrator wants to delete this message, fine with me, please do. If he wants to ban me from the forum: fine also.
Ps2: let's keep this a model railway forum, not a place to vent your fears, panics and what not...

Wishing you a good nights' sleep without nightmares, Robert
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2010 23:08:11(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Edit: This was written while Arconell was posting and not an answer to his post:

You are both right; but in these cases the equipment are build for that purpose, Märklin controllers are not.

Most household UPS batteries are sealed and much smaller than a car battery, and much more suitable for controllers.

The wind turbines I work in also have UPSs, and even though the batteries last much longer,
they are changed every 3rd year for safety reasons, meaning that I have lots of those "in stock" BigGrin

No matter how fast a "normal" fuse is, it is not fast enough when it comes to protecting electronics.

I also wrote in the other topic where this came up, that current limiting circuits are the way to go, so I agree completely;
but it should be a separate device designed for the task, not the internal circuit in your Märklin controllers.

( It is possible that the current limiter in a MS2/CS2 can handle power from a battery; but in that case they are the only Märklin controllers that can. )

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2010 23:18:14(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

@ Arconell:

I'm only trying to describe the dangers of indoors use of CAR batteries with controllers not designed for them.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline GSRR  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2010 23:29:47(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill. I understood Robert using the battery as illustrative of what can be done, not what has to be or should be done. If someone wants to haul a battery into their house and connect it directly to their layout without any safeguards, so be it, their choice.

The seperate threads the last few days dealing with track feeds, transformers, etc. have been informative and engaging, as it should be. Keep it coming. I'm always happy to see people post about their layout or pictures of their rolling stock, but I also want to learn.

Robert,

Sorry for your loss. I see no reason for you to feel you have stepped out of bounds.

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 27 October 2010 23:56:13(UTC)
Webmaster

Robert, sorry to hear about your stepmother. May she rest in peace after a long and hopefully rich life.

No need to delete/ban anything - we are human here...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 28 October 2010 01:48:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Webmaster wrote:
...we are human here...

Well, I think most of us are! Not sure if anyone has registered with 'Alien' in their profile yet....although I do wonder about some of those members from the West Island! WinkWink

Offline arconell  
#10 Posted : 28 October 2010 02:20:15(UTC)
arconell

Webmaster wrote:
Robert, sorry to hear about your stepmother. May she rest in peace after a long and hopefully rich life.

No need to delete/ban anything - we are human here...

Thank you and the others here for your words, she´s had a great and very fulfilled life, not always easy to say the least. Then again she never chose the easy way out. She went with a smile,

Best wishes, to all of you, Robert
Offline nevw  
#11 Posted : 28 October 2010 04:07:47(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Bigdaddynz wrote:
Webmaster wrote:
...we are human here...

Well, I think most of us are! Not sure if anyone has registered with 'Alien' in their profile yet....although I do wonder about some of those members from the West Island! WinkWink

You east Islanders are upset because we are the main land and are superior in all things except maybe Mobile Wrestling where the All Balacks (Mainly white) may for a short period of time may win the odd game through Bribery and corruption. RollEyes Blushing Blushing

(Into the trenches, flak jackets on) ThumpUp Razz
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline mvd71  
#12 Posted : 28 October 2010 12:01:25(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
You tell'em Nev. We all know the grass is browner on your side of the fenceFlapper

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline kariosls37  
#13 Posted : 28 October 2010 23:53:54(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
in other news, hostilities on the Tasman fromt have resumed

A big Flapper from clean, green New Zealand (aka paradise)
Offline john black  
#14 Posted : 30 October 2010 04:53:51(UTC)
john black

United States   
Thanks, Per - most reasonable advice by you ThumpUp

And don't be surprised, my friend. Cemeteries are full with non-believers ... LOLLOLLOL
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline xxup  
#15 Posted : 30 October 2010 07:03:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
mvd71 wrote:
You tell'em Nev. We all know the grass is browner on your side of the fenceFlapper

Cheers....

Mike.

Actually it is VERY green at the moment.. We have had more rain in the last month than the last five years... How long can you tread water??

You gotta love those greenies - when there is no rain it is global warming and when there is rain it is global warming... LOL They seem to forget that the plant life needs Carbon Dioxide to survive.. Razz
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 30 October 2010 13:46:02(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
We always have rain on big sporting events and when car washing or gardening or having a picnic or barby or anytime we want to go outside. The sun always shines when indoors watching TV or playing trains. Taking trains outside means more rain. It is also cold so I am off to buy a car battery (several in fact) and use them to supply power to not just the trains but the whole house. The resulting explosion may stop the rain and will certainly make things warmer.
Marklin are now including a car battery in their catalogue with smaller ones as boosters. You can of course still buy the usual transformer/power supply etc which they recommend but heck why not live dangerously (and give up our warranties)

dave

Edited by user 30 October 2010 19:59:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline john black  
#17 Posted : 30 October 2010 18:08:46(UTC)
john black

United States   
TongueTongueTongue
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide