Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vtt  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2010 09:54:52(UTC)
vtt

hi

i have just taken my first step into the world of model railroad buying the following model by roco.

i know that this is a marklin forum but my question is about era and period rather than make.
after reading a lot of information about Swiss locomotives and about the sbb i'm am still confused.

the starter set i bough depicts era II typical Swiss express train.
as i understand Swiss locomotive were painted green from 1928 and on.

my questions are:

1. does this set depicts an express train from 1924-1928 (the loco being brown) ?
2. were there any brown Ae 3/6 II after 1928 ?
3. what would be a typical freight stock for this locomotive ?

thanks and sorry for the long post.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 04 October 2010 20:06:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2010 11:50:41(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi vtt,
Welcome.
I unfortunately know nothing about Swiss railways, but many users of Märklin trains do.
So I hope someone here can answer your question.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2010 14:40:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Welcome to the forum vtt. I'm sure there will be someone who can answer your questions. A couple of our members - Unholz and MikeC - are very knowledgeable regarding Swiss trains, and I'm sure they can help.
Offline Loadmaster  
#4 Posted : 03 October 2010 01:58:25(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
Vitt,

May I also welcome you from the Left Coast of the USA. Your engine is an Ae 3/5 but I think the cars are more modern than the engine. It doesn't mater because there are many older engines pulling more modern cars. Gee, you don't many trains in Iseral ! !
I flew into Ben Gurgarian (sp) airport several times during my years in the USAF.
I do model Swiss, primarly SBB & BLS. I just received a HOm Ge 4/4 FO engine from a friend who didn't know what to do with it and gave it to me since I love trains. Now, I guess I need to purchase some HOm track and a few cars for it to pull.

Regards,

Robert
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline DavidG  
#5 Posted : 03 October 2010 18:32:00(UTC)
DavidG

Israel   
Hello new member. I am also a new member and live in Israel too! It would be nice to contact each other. My email: davkumi@netvision.net.il

Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 03 October 2010 18:47:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Vtt,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 03 October 2010 19:31:16(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi vtt,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 03 October 2010 19:39:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Is there a name we can call you? It's so much easier to talk to a name than a set of initials!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Renato  
#9 Posted : 03 October 2010 20:19:01(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Welcome to the forum from me too, vtt.

Renato
Offline petestra  
#10 Posted : 03 October 2010 20:25:34(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Welcome vtt! I love swiss trains too. I have 3 maerklin swiss e-loks. I must admit though that I don't have much knowledge of swiss rail history. As you probably know, it's a great country for trains and train-watching with all that beautiful scenery. Cheers, PeterSmile
Offline Caralain  
#11 Posted : 03 October 2010 21:32:50(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
Welcome to the forum! If I am not mistaken, this is an Ae 3/6II. This means there was a total of six axles whose only three were powered. On your picture, the powered axles are easily distinguishable by the size of the wheels and the bars linking the three main wheels. The non-powered axles are the small ones. The designation II indicates the type.

60 locomotives were ordered by the SBB and placed in service between 1923 and 1926. They were used on the main lines of the SBB, after the completion of the electrification of the Gotthard line. At the same time were also in service Ae 3/6 I, Ae 3/5 and Ae 3/6 III.

Brown is the original color. Most of them were repainted in SBB standard green in the late twenties.

As for the passengers cars I am not totally sure. You have two 3rd class cars. As far as I know, the 3rd class (the least comfortable) was abandoned in the late forties, earlier fifties. Thus my best guess these cars must have been in service around 1945-1955. It's not impossible that an Ae 3/6II pulled such a convoy, but most likely they would have been pulled by a more recent locomotive such as Re 4/4I or Ae 4/7.

Such cars can still be seen in Switzerland, but only in historical special trains.

Pierre

Offline vtt  
#12 Posted : 03 October 2010 22:22:46(UTC)
vtt

thanks for the warm welcome and answers.

Pierre . thanks for the complete and knowledgeable answer.
i though that if you buy a set you get an accurate representation of a typical train.

is there a way to get more accurate composition of trains from the 20's-30's ?

thanks
Tal
Offline Caralain  
#13 Posted : 04 October 2010 02:18:34(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
Hey Tal:

I have made a few searches on the Internet. You will find interesting results if you go to Google.ch. Type for example Ae 3/6 and you will received many hits.

The only problem is that most of the info are in German, some in French. I am sure you can find what you need. SBB was founded in 1902 from different small companies and when the company commemorated its hundred years of existence in 2002, I am sure a few books must have been published.

Look at this website for more info: http://www.1902-2002.ch/...4_history/default_d.shtm and . Click especially on the link "Start History Channel". You will have in a few pictures a panorama of their history. Also have a look here: http://www.sbbhistoric.c...048F1C3F&o_lang_id=8

You can look also have a look to the website of the Transportation Museum in Lucerne: http://www.verkehrshaus.ch/en
If you have the chance to go to Switzerland, it's a MUST to visit it. Here is probably one the best source of information about trains in 1920-1930. You can see in particular the legendary Crocodile (Ce 6/8III and Be 6/8) and a model train of the Gotthard line.

To my knowledge, there were three axles passengers in service in 1920 - 1930. See this model car for a pretty good representation: http://www.roundhouse.ch...afik/Ruco/Ruco_15006.jpg , http://www.roundhouse.ch...ik/Ruco/Ruco_15003-M.jpg and http://www.roundhouse.ch...Ruco/SBB_D3-Eigenbau.jpg

There were also more modern coaches like this set produced by Marklin in 2001 http://archiv.maerklin.d...mp;wishednumber=00790-03 . It's not produced any more but you can find it for sale on Ebay.

I hope it helps a little bit.

Pierre

Edited by user 11 January 2011 03:17:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline AJ  
#14 Posted : 04 October 2010 18:14:20(UTC)
AJ

Welcome Tal ... you have come to the right place with your questions. I collect swiss trains as well but era III and V only so cannot be much help. There are many here on the forum who can though as you can see already. I make the hobby work thanks to the people on this forum.

Alok
Online H0  
#15 Posted : 04 October 2010 18:56:40(UTC)
H0

Hi, Tal!
vtt wrote:
i though that if you buy a set you get an accurate representation of a typical train.

That's what I would expect from a train set.

Train compositions from Märklin starter sets are not always accurate. But I can't say anything about Roco.

SBB is not my area of expertise, but in Germany it takes decades until all locos get repainted with the current paint scheme.

I don't know if the train is prototypically correct.

Maybe more SBB experts will look at this thread if you change the title of your first post to something like "Is Roco SBB era II trainset prototypically correct?"
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Guus  
#16 Posted : 04 October 2010 19:02:28(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Tal,

Welcome to the forum!

In addition to what Pierre already mentioned:
The Ae 3/6 II most certainly pulled 4 axle passenger trains in it's time. Whether still in brown livery or not remains a question for the experts, but from 1929 onwards more and more were painted green after a Revision.
The RoCo coaches are good examples of the coaches in use at that time (roughly from 1926 and onwards), although I doubt whether the trucks are prototypically correct. Most of them had the leaf springs mounted perpendicular to the coaches's axis and not like it's shown on the picture.

Some of the sources I used:

- LOKI Spezial 23 Faszination Ae 3/6II
- LOKI Spezial 31 Vierachsige Reisewagen der SBB
- Die elektrischen und Dieseltriebfahrzeugen der SBB Band I 1904-1955 ISBN 3-907 014-22-7
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline vtt  
#17 Posted : 04 October 2010 21:46:08(UTC)
vtt

a lot of useful information and fast reply .
I'm glad i found this forum.

Pierre. i appreciate the effort you take into answering my questions.

Guus. the books/magazine references are great. I'll try to get a hold of them.

thank you all for the help.

Offline Unholz  
#18 Posted : 04 October 2010 21:56:32(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Guus' answer is correct: The electric mainline locos of the SBB were generally painted brown until 1929. Then the switch to green began, but of course only gradually. Most locos were green by 1952, with the exception of Ae 3/6 I no. 10714 which was the last one to turn green in 1956.

Thus, Roco's combination shown in the picture is in fact possible, but nevertheless not very typical, because the RIC passenger coaches for international service with gangway on one side were not characteristically used behind Ae 3/6 II. Coaches with two, three or four axles for domestic service would match a train hauled by an Ae 3/6 II better.

However, there is a big mistake on the loco itself, because no. 10408 (like the entire sub-series of 20 machines with the running numbers 10401 - 10420) only had two ventilation grilles beneath the outmost windows on both sides. Marklin also overlooked this difference on some of their models. Additionally, the little "hoods" above the cab windows are also out of place for loco no. 10408.
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 04 October 2010 22:13:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
vtt wrote:
hi

i have just taken my first step into the world of model railroad buying the following model by roco.

i know that this is a marklin forum but my question is about era and period rather than make.
after reading a lot of information about Swiss locomotives and about the sbb i'm am still confused.

the starter set i bough depicts era II typical Swiss express train.
as i understand Swiss locomotive were painted green from 1928 and on.

my questions are:

1. does this set depicts an express train from 1924-1928 (the loco being brown) ?
2. were there any brown Ae 3/6 II after 1928 ?
3. what would be a typical freight stock for this locomotive ?

thanks and sorry for the long post.

Tal,

Let me begin by welcoming you to the forum.

Your Roco Set depicts a historical train. The locomotives were painted brown until 1928/1929. After that point, newly delivered loks were painted green and older loks were repainted at their next scheduled major revision (R3). The coaches are UIC coaches from the mid to late 1930s to 1940. The logos on the coaches are more modern, most likely from the early to mid 1960s. After 1964, these coaches would have received their UIC numbers 51 85 XX - XX XXX-X underneath the SBB + CFF logo.

Lok 10408 was initially based in Olten. The next year, it was transferred to Rorschach and was likely used for Express trains to Zuerich and back. By 1939, the lok was once again back in Olten, where the lok was likely used to pull passenger and freight trains to Zuerich, Biel, Bern, Basel or Luzern. The loks continued to operate out of the Olten depot until the early 1970s.

The appropriate coach for a 1930s consist would be Roco's 44200B/44466
see: http://www.bahn.hfkern.de/Roco_Wagen/SBB_ric.html
You can also choose other coaches with Era (Epoch) II or III markings.
The 45916 Set contains four historical coaches that are type appropriate for a SBB domestic train in the 1930s.

If you want more information about Swiss loks and coaches, there are the books SBB Lokomotiven und Triebwagen and SBB Reisezug und Gepaeckwagen which were published by the SBB. The book on loks is still available from SBBHistoric.ch (Shop). The book on coaches can likely be found on eBay and in some used book shops and dealers. It gives the date of production and other details for most rolling stock of the SBB.

There was a special edition magazine/book about the Ae 3/6 II from loki. Check loki.ch (Shop). There are Loki Spezials on Ae 3/6II and on 4 Axled Passesnger Coaches 1912-1929 to name a few. Text is in German, but the photos are universal.

Freight stock could be any Swiss or international car from the 1920s/30s. As the Ae 3/6II was used for regional traffic, most likely it would have pulled domestic cars with maybe a few international cars that were going to their local destinations or returning to the larger freight yards for forwarding to their foreign destination. Brawa, Liliput, Roco and others have a wide selection of older freight cars. There are also specialty manufacturers like AKU/Born and Friho who alter models to reproduce classic variants or make small production models.

I presume that you are modelling 2 rail DC or digital DCC. There is also a Yahoo Groups Roco Forum, a Swiss Rail and a Swiss Rail Modelling Forum that may be of interest to you. This forum is mainly about Maerklin (3 Rail AC) but many of us also have other brands, especially coaches and cars which can easily be adapted for use on either system. My forte is 1965 to the present, but there are members who have more knowledge about earlier periods. The info I referenced comes from Wikipedia and other web sources and from the books mentioned above.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Hemmerich  
#20 Posted : 04 October 2010 22:21:44(UTC)
Hemmerich

-

Edited by user 19 November 2010 01:31:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 04 October 2010 22:34:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hemmerich wrote:
PS: The model is also offered by ROCO.

Lutz,

I don't want to get into an argument in this thread, but since Tal referenced the Roco Set in his initial post, I am sure that he is aware the model is from Roco. He may not know that similar models are also available from Maerklin (3 Rail AC) and Trix (2 Rail DC).

Maybe you know where Tal can find some prototypical Era II/III coaches that would allow him to reproduce a train from the 1930s?

Regards

Mike C
Offline nevw  
#22 Posted : 05 October 2010 02:30:14(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: HemmerichFor further information, questions and pics don' Go to Quoted Post

Lutzie Really I think that if he has any questions and you have answers and Photos they should be posted on the forum not in your secretive and usual thing of not sharing good information with other members of the forum Angry Confused Cursing

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 05 October 2010 13:27:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
nevw wrote:
Originally Posted by: HemmerichFor further information, questions and pics don' Go to Quoted Post

Lutzie Really I think that if he has any questions and you have answers and Photos they should be posted on the forum not in your secretive and usual thing of not sharing good information with other members of the forum Angry Confused Cursing

NN

Agreed Nev. The forum is being used in a manner which I am sure is not acceptable to members.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline river6109  
#24 Posted : 05 October 2010 15:29:12(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Vtt, Tal,
Welcome to this forum.
I too enjoy SBB locos and have several versions of this Ae 3/6II.

I think everything has been said about the loco and its passenger wagon range.

Enjoy your hobby.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline TimR  
#25 Posted : 06 October 2010 01:43:06(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Very good informative thread overall, but for a single errant post..

Era II and III Swiss has started to catch my interest.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline MarioFabro  
#26 Posted : 08 October 2010 20:05:07(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
I love this loco. I have a Marklin 3151 (converted to full digital) and a 3456 (from a starter set) and a 37513.

The three colors are different (lighter brown, green, darker brown). Mike, can you tell me where does the 37513 stand, era-wise?
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline Caralain  
#27 Posted : 26 October 2010 03:57:43(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
After this discussion about the Ae 3/6 II, I couldn't resist to buy one with the appropriate cars.BigGrin

Here is the Ae 3/6 II made by Marklin #37513. It has a Mfx decoder but with limited functions though: it whistles and has a station announce in Swiss German dialect. Despite that, it's a beautiful model that runs smoothly.

UserPostedImage

Details of the wheels mechanism:

UserPostedImage

Following the advice of Mike C, I also bought the historical set from Roco #45916 containing 4 coaches appropriate to this era. I personally like the restaurant car: the interior looks very detailed. Only figures are missing now to recreate the impression of reality.

3rd class coach car:

UserPostedImage

Restaurant car:

UserPostedImage

Restaurant car: interior details

UserPostedImage

Detail of a 3rd coach car and the Concertina. If the car is used as a tail-car, a enclosed narrow concertina can be used.

UserPostedImage

PS: thanks Nevw. I couldn't remember the pictures links. So I had to reload them.Glare

Edited by user 11 January 2011 03:17:34(UTC)  | Reason: I remove the trailing blank spaces after the .jpg

Offline nevw  
#28 Posted : 26 October 2010 04:09:33(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Caralain wrote:
After this discussion about the Ae 3/6 II, I couldn't resist to buy one with the appropriate cars.

Here is the Ae 3/6 II made by Marklin #37513. It has a Mfx decoder but with limited functions though: it whistles and has a station announce in Swiss German dialect. Despite that, it's a beautiful model that runs smoothly.

UserPostedImageDetails of the wheels mechanism:

UserPostedImage

R So fixed as I typed and posted.
S they are not required anymore I will delete the big one.

NN
UserPostedImage

Edited by user 26 October 2010 11:27:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Ranjit  
#29 Posted : 26 October 2010 10:25:03(UTC)
Ranjit

Welcome to the forum, Tal.

Nice looking locomotive with nice looking coaches.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline intruder  
#30 Posted : 26 October 2010 21:13:10(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Welcome to us, Tal.

I have been a member of this forum for a while, but I am still impressed of different member's knowledge about certain subjects, like Mike C's about Swiss railway.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline charles Sharpe  
#31 Posted : 26 October 2010 21:30:48(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Welcome to the forum, Tal.

Very knowledgeable bunch of people.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Charlie  
#32 Posted : 26 October 2010 22:53:00(UTC)
Charlie

Good looking set Caralain BigGrin
Offline steventrain  
#33 Posted : 26 October 2010 23:00:22(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice, Caralain.Smile

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline steventrain  
#34 Posted : 26 October 2010 23:01:56(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Vtt,

Welcome to the forum.Smile
Offline Caralain  
#35 Posted : 26 October 2010 23:31:22(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
Thank you Charlie and Steventrain.ThumpUp. I love this set.

I just saw lately that Roco has released a shunting locomotive build during the same era Ee 3/3 #68688 but shown as it was in the sixties. It would just matches perfectly my new Ae 3/6 II. Fortunately Christmas is coming in a few months! LOL

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 11 January 2011 03:18:25(UTC)  | Reason: I remove the trailing blank spaces after the .jpg