Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TomB  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2010 11:07:53(UTC)
TomB

Märklin did not manage to make the models run syncronously.
Olli from Hamburg has made a perfect trimming of the decoders.

Files for ESU LokProgrammer

Edited by user 15 April 2010 21:26:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tom Blikstad
HO, german/swiss trains, Märklin K+C, ECoS I+II,
Viessmann, Kühn, MBTronik, WinDigipet 2012, WinTrack 11
Offline Hemmerich  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2010 20:51:18(UTC)
Hemmerich

-

Edited by user 21 November 2010 02:07:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Sander van Wijk  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2010 21:13:54(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Tom,

Thanks for this interesting link! Even though this isn't exactly my cup of tea in terms of era's, I do know at least one person who is going to benefit from this. As I'm working part time at a hobby store, I do know of at least one set we have tested which didn't consist of two locos running perfectly synchronous out of the box.
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2010 21:47:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
As the operation of the motor is dependent on many factors, including the settings of the decoder, it is normal that not every set will have the same operating specs. I found that one of my Re 4/4IIs had too much pressure exerted by the spring on the brushes. Once this was adjusted, it worked as expected. I have not as yet received my 37320, but I will test it when it finally arrives on this side of the pond.

Regards

Mike C
Offline TimR  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2010 02:01:54(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
mike c wrote:
As the operation of the motor is dependent on many factors, including the settings of the decoder, it is normal that not every set will have the same operating specs.

This is true, as has been discussed recently in the "double-heading" thread.
This setting might work for some, but obviously will not be everyone. In fact, none of my duplicate models (MFX or otherwise) actually have exactly the same speed and speed curves - even if they have the same decoder and/or settings.

I don't think any manufacturer in today's MRR world can honestly claim that they can make an out-of-the-box super-precise, perfectly synchronized double header in H0 scale.

If I recall from Steventrain's photo of the 37320 manual, Marklin advises their customer to properly adjust the settings of both locomotives to try and get them synchronized, before double heading them. To put simply, they had never claimed or guaranteed that the two loks would run in perfect synch for double header use.

Edited by user 14 April 2010 05:57:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline Hemmerich  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2010 21:19:59(UTC)
Hemmerich

-

Edited by user 21 November 2010 02:08:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TomB  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2010 22:40:13(UTC)
TomB

The manuals, page 9:

Both locomotives are designed to be operated together. If problems arise when running the locomotive togetger in multiple unit operation,
we reommend that you set up the m.u. combination from the beginning again so that the locomotives are syncronized with each other.
You can achieve this by adjusting the V-max and V-min for one locomotive to the behavior of the other locomotive.
Tom Blikstad
HO, german/swiss trains, Märklin K+C, ECoS I+II,
Viessmann, Kühn, MBTronik, WinDigipet 2012, WinTrack 11
Offline TimR  
#8 Posted : 15 April 2010 01:59:16(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Hemmerich wrote:
Simply wrong! The correct Märklin statement can be found in the #37320 user manual (chapter "Information about operation").

My post above is simply my intepretation of the statement that Marklin put in the manual, as TomB posted it:

TomB wrote:

The manuals, page 9:

Both locomotives are designed to be operated together. If problems arise when running the locomotive together in multiple unit operation,
we reommend that you set up the m.u. combination from the beginning again so that the locomotives are syncronized with each other.
You can achieve this by adjusting the V-max and V-min for one locomotive to the behavior of the other locomotive.

Doesn't change the fact that the above statement is a disclaimer.

Marklin simply says "are designed to be operated together" - this can be literally translated that both models share the same drivetrain (gearing), motor, and decoder (settings) - ie: they share exactly the same drive characteristic from one another.

The rest of the description from the beginning of the words "If problems arise..."
seems to stand up to my earlier intepretation about it. Customers may need to make manual adjustment - that doesn't sound like a guarantee.

Now OTOH if the manual says,
"Both locomotives have been syncrhonized perfectly at the factory to be operated together."

Now we're really talking...

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, Lutz... if this is really your experience.

Anyway, rather than simply saying that my opinion is wrong,
why don't you post your settings or the techniques that you used to guarantee how two models with DCM motors will be able to run in synch for hours without any adjustments needed?

Because in my experience, even if you managed to get even exactly the same models in synch, one or both loks would soon began to "drift" from the original setting. One would began to run slower, or faster. So the distance between the two running models would always change over time.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 15 April 2010 02:23:13(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Lutz says that his locos "worked fine simultaneous right out of the box".

One wonders whether he was able to hand pick the samples he has! Wink Wink

Unfortunately, the manual for 37320 is not available for download from the Marklin website (at least not when I looked).
Offline intruder  
#10 Posted : 15 April 2010 02:35:39(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
The prototyical max. speed of both Re6/6 and Re4/4 is 140 km/h.

I first adjusted the Re6/6 to speed setting 175 (of 255). 140,2 km/h on a straight track section.
Then I adjusted the Re4/4 to 167. Also just above 140 km/h.
Both locomotives were initially set to 255.

I have set both the acceleration and decelartion time to 7,5 seconds on both locomotives.
They run perfectly in a double heading.

The adjustments are done with a CS1.

See my excel sheet:
http://www.saebonet.com/Svein/Tog/images/Swiss/37320/37320.xls
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 15 April 2010 13:28:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If a manual mentions problems may arise then you can be sure they will as appears to be the case in the above posts.
For enthusiasts it can be enjoyable getting things to work properly but not so good for those who expect a model to work straight out the box. Nice set though.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mascagni  
#12 Posted : 15 April 2010 20:25:33(UTC)
mascagni

My red HAG Re 10/10 set has always run great together.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline Hemmerich  
#13 Posted : 16 April 2010 13:20:17(UTC)
Hemmerich

-

Edited by user 21 November 2010 02:08:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 16 April 2010 13:38:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
"Beide Lokomotiven sind optimal aufeinander abgestimmt." = "Both engines are perfectly matched." (according to Mr Google)
Offline TimR  
#15 Posted : 16 April 2010 14:50:08(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Bigdaddynz wrote:
"Beide Lokomotiven sind optimal aufeinander abgestimmt." = "Both engines are perfectly matched." (according to Mr Google)

Do we not believe Marklin's own English translation in their own manual? BigGrin

I think it's still the same meaning to what is written in the English manual..

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 16 April 2010 14:56:14(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
TimR wrote:
Bigdaddynz wrote:

Do we not believe Marklin's own English translation in their own manual? BigGrin

I think it's still the same meaning to what is written in the English manual..

Probably, but then I haven't seen the English manual......Wink
Offline river6109  
#17 Posted : 16 April 2010 17:25:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
TimR wrote:
Bigdaddynz wrote:

I think it's still the same meaning to what is written in the English manual.

optimal does'nt mean perfectly, close to perfection, there is the same word in german: perfekt.
If the loco runs perfectly at the same speed, they've could of used this word: "perfekt".
There are too many friction points in a Märklin loco to run perfect at the same speed at all times.
Even with Roco locos having wurm gears their identical running characterists may be closer than Märklin locos but not perfect.

# 1.perfect
# 2.perfekt ...........

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline nevw  
#18 Posted : 17 April 2010 01:14:07(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Now who is telling Porkies,
Lutz or the rest of the participants in this topic.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 17 April 2010 01:52:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
What we need is somebody who has a set that worked straight out the box. I dont suppose that there is anything wrong with having to do a bit of work before the set runs properly but this should be stated on the box or by the dealer etc before purchase as not everybody wants to fiddle with a new model.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 17 April 2010 05:38:19(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
nevw wrote:
Now who is telling Porkies,
Lutz or the rest of the participants in this topic.

NN

Unless Märklin quality controllers match each loco set to its nearest optimal, almost perfect, marklin enthusiasts: perfect running speed, I have my doughts.
The easier way out would be setting the CV's on the same par.

Any Märklin motor (except the C-Sine) has too many obsticles to run perfectley all the time, at the same speed and there is nothing Märklin can do about unless they change the:
1.) Brushplate
2.) Gearing
3.) add Ballbearings

End of story.

I personally would'nt like to run 2 locos as a double header with 2 motors all day.
Another failure is if you leave the Acceleration & Breaking delay "ON".
In my opinion it would put more strain on both loco motors if the speed is not perfect.
Both loco motors would react in the opposite direction of pulling and pushing, with other words if the front loco is going faster it would automatically trying to increase the power and the second loco is getting pushed would decrease its power.
With the breaking & Acceleration delay "OFf" it may limit the push pull friction.

The german interpretation has for some reason allowed some members to assume the word "optimal" means perfect or have been misguided by some cheap translation error.

Unless you have sensors monitoring the motor constantly of its speed and power output you will never, never, never and I say it once more, never achieve the same speed of both locos for a long period of time.

Sofar, who is telling Porkies, if you believe everything is said on this forum on its face value, you are a besotted believer and your path into heaven is granted.

John

Offline nevw  
#21 Posted : 17 April 2010 06:58:39(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Thankyou John, I am a true believer, but as not true, besotted or one eyed as someThumpUp ThumpUp Scared Scared
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#22 Posted : 17 April 2010 07:29:38(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
nevw wrote:
Thankyou John, I am a true believer, but as not true, besotted or one eyed as someThumpUp ThumpUp Scared Scared

I always tried to be a true believer, but than, so many lies are told.
When you find the absolute truth, what do you do with it ? Every body thinks you're telling lies or porkies.
Is it worth telling the truth ? and if you're not, are you a true believer ?.
I like to stick to what I know and I know very little and this makes me almost a true believer.ThumpUp Scared.
What I say, hear, smell and see are 4 different believes and I can't tell you, if any of them is worth the truth. OhMyGod

John

Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 17 April 2010 15:18:20(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
May the Force be with you. Live long and prosper.
Offline intruder  
#24 Posted : 17 April 2010 21:55:00(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I have tested a little bit more.

My earlier mentioned settings works very well at 80 km/h, with very small individual speed difference.
When changing the speed to 90 km/h the individual speed difference gets bigger.

This means that it will be very difficult to adjust the speed of the two locomotives to be accurate at any speed level.

Anyhow, I think the consist runs very well.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Goofy  
#25 Posted : 17 April 2010 23:19:45(UTC)
Goofy

I prefer to run locomotiv alone puffing alone with cars avoidance of the.
If i want run doubleheaded locomotiv,i prefer instead two of the same locomotivs.
With difference roadnumbers!
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline river6109  
#26 Posted : 18 April 2010 10:10:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
David Dewar wrote:
May the Force be with you. Live long and prosper.

May the Force be with you. Live long and prosper, amen.