Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Online xxup  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2009 04:41:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I really like this loco. When I started to have problems with the V60 class locos, I decommissioned them and started to use this one. It is a real utility loco that pulls the track cleaning car around the layout before each session. If it has been a while since sessions, as is the case these days, it may round around the layout for 30 minutes at a time. It is the only loco that does not run under computer control these days.

Until this morning it was running beautifully. The lights would switch on and off, but it would not move forward. After a while I managed to remove the motor and noticed that I can not turn it by hand - it appears to be seized.

UserPostedImage

Needless to say the two year warranty expired in April this year - story of my life! My best guess is that it had less than 10 hours of service - perhaps a lack of use is a contributor here?

Before I order another one from lokshop (A$120 inc shipping), can someone please confirm that you should be able to turn the motor by hand after it has been removed from the loco?

Thanks

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2009 04:50:00(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Yes, I would expect so, its just a dc motor and I'd be very suprised if you couldn't turn it normally,

Cheers,,,,

Mike.
Online xxup  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2009 05:03:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Oh well.. I guess that Swiss made isn't what it used to be... The bad news, of course, is that lokshop don't have one in stock..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2009 05:49:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Can you turn the gears on the loco OK by hand?
Online xxup  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2009 06:06:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />Can you turn the gears on the loco OK by hand?

Yep - very easily... But I can't turn the motor at all...[xx(]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2009 06:30:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Are you able to power the motor by other means (in case the problem is an electronics failure)?

What happens if you apply 12v DC to it?
Offline Hoffmann  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2009 06:51:01(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   
Hello Adrian,

Don't give up yet:

Two things I would try: First remove Motor from Locomotive completly second lubricate both end bearings with a little WD 40 ( Do not use the whole Canbiggrin ).
Now for the hard Part wait ( if nothing better to do drink Beer[:p] ) after a half hour try to move motorshaft if Motorshaft starts to move run motor with a 9 volt Battery ( used in smoke detectors ).
If Motor runs you need to lubricate it with proper Oil ( WD 40 is not a lubricant ).
If all above does not work get a bigger Hammer[B)].

Martin

P.S. Have you tried taping the Motor a little bid ? Oh and by the Way the only thing Swiss Made on that Motor is the Stamp which is stamped on the Housing.
marklin-eh
Online xxup  
#8 Posted : 28 June 2009 07:09:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks Martin.

I did give the motor a gentle bang on the desk after I removed it, but it made no difference.. The WD40 is a good idea - I had not thought of that one.. I reassembled the loco a little while ago - so I will have to wait for a while before I find the energy (and courage) to disassemble it again.

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Online xxup  
#9 Posted : 03 October 2009 10:36:35(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Hello Martin. It took me a little while to get around to having a go at the motor. The WD-40 and a very gentle tap worked, but it is drawing A HUGE mount of current. I added oil at the two ends of the motor, but I feel that the problem is inside... Any thoughts?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 03 October 2009 11:57:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Order a new motor!

In my previous job we used Maxon motors in TV equipment, and the motors would always fail at the bearings. You can keep it going by lubricating it but the end is near.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Online xxup  
#11 Posted : 03 October 2009 12:16:06(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks Ray.. They are insanely expensive motors too...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#12 Posted : 03 October 2009 18:22:14(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
You can probably try and ask Sb-modellbau first to see whether they got any replacement motor for this model.
(Doesn't seem to be on their website, but doesn't hurt to ask!)

It seems to be a Marklin policy to make a kill with "less common" spare part. Judging from the pricing level of the new variants of this model, it would seem that the actual price of the motor is far less than what M* listed.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline pa-pauls  
#13 Posted : 03 October 2009 18:32:14(UTC)
pa-pauls

Motor = spare part # 209 219

Märklin price £ 79,95, in stock.

At Bahnhöfle they also have it in stock for price € 49,55 wink
See this link : http://www.bahnhoefle.de...owdsearch209219:11000100!0,5312335360,209219
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 03 October 2009 18:53:31(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by pa-pauls
<br />At Bahnhöfle they also have it in stock for price € 49,55

They have it in their database (no way to tell if it's in stock).

I placed two orders at Bahnhöfle.
They fulfilled the first order (no problems).
They ignored the second order and several e-mails I sent.

Bahnhöfle pops up regularly on Stummi's Forum - it seems they still have the habbit to ignore some orders.

If you're not in a hurry, you can still give them a try ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline john black  
#15 Posted : 03 October 2009 19:28:49(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup
<br />They are insanely expensive motors ...

Of course they are - and I'm sorry [:(] for you, my friend. Chances are high only the brushes
are worn so a replacement (50cents) would do they trick - if we only could change them ... [xx(]

Remember a few years back when I criticised M's move towards those welded-shut $$$ motors confused
FAT MONEY for them - but I been almost crucified for daring to p*** on holy M [xx(][xx(][xx(]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by john black
Offline Hoffmann  
#16 Posted : 03 October 2009 20:15:08(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   
Good Morning Adrian,

This is what I would do: Take Motor out, send Motor to Maxon Australia (they have an office there).
Tell them how unhappy you are with their Product maybe they will do something for you ( it will not cost you a lot in shipping )
According to Maxon these Motors come with a five Year Warranty.

Regards Martin

P.S. I think one of the Armature winding is burnt out

Australia
maxon motor australia Pty Ltd
Unit 4 / 22 Leighton Place
AU-Hornsby NSW 2077
Telefon: 61 2 9476 4777
Fax: +61 2 9476 4866
www.maxonmotor.com.au
sales.au@maxonmotor.com
Austri
marklin-eh
Online xxup  
#17 Posted : 03 October 2009 22:58:01(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks Martin.. For A$140-$200 it is worth a try.. Marklin is 79.95 Euro plus 49.95 Euro Shipping.. And they don't take off the VAT.. 130 Euro or A$219... [:0][:0][:0]

Do you think there is any change of pulling off the worm gears and the mounting bracket? They seem to be a unique part...

Is there anything on Stummi about replacing these motors with something else??
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline pa-pauls  
#18 Posted : 04 October 2009 00:55:30(UTC)
pa-pauls

Adrian Smile

If you get no luck at the Maxon office in AU you can try at Bahnhöfle
as I suggested as he should at least take of the 19% VAT on the motor wink
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline TimR  
#19 Posted : 04 October 2009 03:05:43(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Quote:
<br />Adrian Smile

If you get no luck at the Maxon office in AU you can try at Bahnhöfle
as I suggested as he should at least take of the 19% VAT on the motor wink

Bahnhöfle price for the motor is actually very good - this is almost about as expensive as all the parts needed for a DCM motor.

I think I've come across their website before; but I can't find any information of whether they do international shipping (particularly to outside Europe)?
Online xxup  
#20 Posted : 04 October 2009 04:14:31(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks Guys.. I will try Bahnhöfle as I am not optimistic about my chances of a replacement from Maxon in Australia..

It highlights a big issue for us.. How are we going to fix locos like this in 20 years??[xx(]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#21 Posted : 04 October 2009 04:29:58(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />Thanks Guys.. I will try Bahnhöfle as I am not optimistic about my chances of a replacement from Maxon in Australia..

It highlights a big issue for us.. How are we going to fix locos like this in 20 years??[xx(]

try a phone call to Sydney, If as Martin said there is a 5 year warranty it may only cost you $6.00 in postage.
(If you get lucky)
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline TimR  
#22 Posted : 04 October 2009 06:59:57(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Quote:

For the two types of Sinus motors - I think unless you really have a very nasty accident, it's almost sure to last a hundred years as there is no part to wear off.. Smile

The now third generation of motor driver looks to be quite reliable too so far; no nasty burnouts or anything.

For specific products like this maxxon, I don't think availability is the issue.. it's the price.

Marklin really got itself partly to blame;
with almost a dozen types of motor in use, means the economic scale of each type of motor is greatly reduced (thus price is higher). I see no reason why they can't just settle to just one or two standard motors; and only other specific motors on a few really 'special' models.

Other manufacturers got around this by settling on - usually - a DC 5-pole skewed motor as standard - this is a lot cheaper as opposed to DCM or any other types that Marklin used.
Online xxup  
#23 Posted : 04 October 2009 08:33:24(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yep.. I love those old C-sine motors... Do any of you remember a good diesel with one of those motors??

I have placed the order for two of the Maxon motors with Bahnhöfle... They are asking for a cheque, but I have sent a reply e-mail seeking their account details so that I can do a bank transfer.. Even with the bank fees I am well ahead of the prices in the Marklin online shop - which is unfortunate...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline john black  
#24 Posted : 06 October 2009 18:58:20(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />Yep ... I love those old C-sine motors ...
Do any of you remember a good diesel with one of those motors ??

Such is mission impossible, my friend ... Smile
Since M never made a heavy Diesel (PA-1, NOHAB, F7, V200) with the BIG C-SINUS MOTOR [:(]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline john black  
#25 Posted : 06 October 2009 18:59:50(UTC)
john black

United States   
But there's always a Gator in a cinema nearby ... biggrin[}:)][^]Cool

Offline tekin65  
#26 Posted : 06 October 2009 21:43:16(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />
Quote:
Originally posted by xxup<br />
Remember a few years back when I criticised M's move towards those welded-shut $$$ motors confused
FAT MONEY for them - but I been almost crucified for daring to p*** on holy M [xx(][xx(][xx(]

... It highlights a big issue for us.. How are we going to fix locos like this in 20 years??

Adrian hi,

I'm most sceptic about long-term faith of can motors and drive electronics of sinus motors. I'm sure we will have a hard time replacing them [xx(] ... in 20 years ...

Cem.

Edited by moderator 15 December 2015 04:54:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not enough [/quote]

3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Online xxup  
#27 Posted : 07 October 2009 00:18:50(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Maxon Australia were not interested and suggested that I contact Marklin.. The best I could get out of the person was that Maxon make do motors to a specification and these motors are not part of their "normal" inventory..

I suspect that if I was a regular customer, I might have got a better response.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Online xxup  
#28 Posted : 07 October 2009 00:20:26(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
Originally posted by xxup<br />

... It highlights a big issue for us.. How are we going to fix locos like this in 20 years??

Adrian hi,

I'm most sceptic about long-term faith of can motors and drive electronics of sinus motors. I'm sure we will have a hard time replacing them [xx(] ... in 20 years ...

Cem.

I agree.. However, when (and if) the replacement motors arrive, I will see if it is possible to remove the worm gears from the old motor. If this is possible, then a future replacement may be possible.

Edited by user 15 December 2015 04:55:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Online xxup  
#29 Posted : 07 October 2009 00:24:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by H0
<br />
Quote:
<br />At Bahnhöfle they also have it in stock for price € 49,55

They have it in their database (no way to tell if it's in stock).

I placed two orders at Bahnhöfle.
They fulfilled the first order (no problems).
They ignored the second order and several e-mails I sent.

Bahnhöfle pops up regularly on Stummi's Forum - it seems they still have the habbit to ignore some orders.

If you're not in a hurry, you can still give them a try ...

To be honest I am a little worried.. I placed the online order and they sent me an automated e-mail with the final cost and asked for a cheque.. I sent a reply e-mail, in both English and German, asking for bank transfer details, but got no response. It is possible that the invoice e-mail does not accept replies.

Anyway I got a (very expensive) bank cheque and sent it off with a copy of their e-mail to me in a (very expensive) International priority envelope. It should reach them in two working days.

Only time will tell now... [:(]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline john black  
#30 Posted : 07 October 2009 00:55:24(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />Maxon make do motors to a specification and these motors are not part of their "normal" inventory

There you have it - no choice - all this is part of New M's money plan ...

Those investment bankers [xx(][xx(][xx(] surely know how to fix customers !!!
Yer brushes down confused - Buy complete motor, here only. Or get out ... biggrin[}:)]

Offline john black  
#31 Posted : 07 October 2009 01:02:43(UTC)
john black

United States   
Well, well ... after having put this bastard Madoff behind bars
now we should get our hands on those Kingsbridge clowns [:p][:p][:p]

Offline Hoffmann  
#32 Posted : 07 October 2009 01:06:49(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hello Adrian,

I am just a bit curios why you would purchase this Motor from someone who wants a Check.
Lokshop sells this Motor for EURO 65.17 and you can pay with Credit Card.

Martin
marklin-eh
Online xxup  
#33 Posted : 07 October 2009 14:49:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Unfortunately Lokshop don't have any in stock... I tried them first and I have one of those notification set too...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Online xxup  
#34 Posted : 07 October 2009 14:54:57(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
<br />Well, well ... after having put this bastard Madoff behind bars
now we should get our hands on those Kingsbridge clowns [:p][:p][:p]

Go get 'um..

In this month's Equire, I was reading about JP Morgan and Barklay's in the aftermath of the Leeman brothers collapse.. (Sorry about the spelling - I have a headache and I need to get to bed).. These guys operate on a complete different set of values to you and I.. The implication seems to be that it is okay as long as you don't get caught! What's more it isn't even their money!! It could be yours!!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#35 Posted : 07 October 2009 15:01:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Come the revolution...

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline john black  
#36 Posted : 07 October 2009 15:55:00(UTC)
john black

United States   
Gentlemen - please see John River's topic at NMR ...

Online xxup  
#37 Posted : 18 December 2009 12:54:48(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Well it looks like I have done my dough.. It is 18 December and still no sign of the motors... [:(][:(]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline audiopip  
#38 Posted : 12 March 2010 12:38:50(UTC)
audiopip

xxup wrote:
Maxon Australia were not interested and suggested that I contact Marklin.. The best I could get out of the person was that Maxon make do motors to a specification and these motors are not part of their "normal" inventory..

Just as a follow up on this, somewhat after the event, maxon AU are not always allowed to sell motors which are developed especially for a third party ie Marklin by our Swiss parent. Marklin hold the rights to 'their' motor design and hence the monopoly on spares. As they would have put up the engineering money I guess they are justified, but it doesn't help you or us for that matter! That is probably what the person you spoke to was trying to say, although not that tactfully!

What we can sometimes do is to sell a standard motor, which is similar, for example, might require a small modification like a flat grinding on the shaft etc etc, but will not have the Marklin part number.

In the case of the small 16mm single ended motor Unit #286229 (formerly 212527) we have been advised that we can now supply these in AU, and indeed we should be holding a small stock in Sydney from May 2010. See thread 'BR gone crazy' from DaveB.

I hope you got your problem sorted, if not you are welcome to contact me and I will take a look for you. The fact that the motor siezed would suggest it was overheated in some way, distorting the winding.

Please be assured that we do try to treat all out customers equally, big and small.

Best regards

Jon Pippard
maxon motor Australia
jonathan.pippard@maxonmotor.com

Online xxup  
#39 Posted : 12 March 2010 15:11:01(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
audiopip wrote:
xxup wrote:

Just as a follow up on this, somewhat after the event, maxon AU are not always allowed to sell motors which are developed especially for a third party ie Marklin by our Swiss parent. Marklin hold the rights to 'their' motor design and hence the monopoly on spares. As they would have put up the engineering money I guess they are justified, but it doesn't help you or us for that matter! That is probably what the person you spoke to was trying to say, although not that tactfully!

What we can sometimes do is to sell a standard motor, which is similar, for example, might require a small modification like a flat grinding on the shaft etc etc, but will not have the Marklin part number.

In the case of the small 16mm single ended motor Unit #286229 (formerly 212527) we have been advised that we can now supply these in AU, and indeed we should be holding a small stock in Sydney from May 2010. See thread 'BR gone crazy' from DaveB.

I hope you got your problem sorted, if not you are welcome to contact me and I will take a look for you. The fact that the motor siezed would suggest it was overheated in some way, distorting the winding.

Please be assured that we do try to treat all out customers equally, big and small.

Best regards

Jon Pippard
maxon motor Australia
jonathan.pippard@maxonmotor.com

Wow this is fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to look into the problem for us. It clearly demonstrates to me that you are listening to your small customers.

Unfortunately, my problem remains unresolved because the German firm to whom I sent the cheque never supplied me with the motors, so any assistance that you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I will be happy to remove the motor and send it down to you for your people to do an assessment - and pay the return postage if there is nothing that can be done. I will need the old motor back even if you can't supply a replacement as I will need it to try and match some other solution in the long term as I hate having a $450 loco (plus $202.13 for the two motors that never arrived!) sit on the shelf.. I hope that you can match an EC motor, as mentioned in the other post, as replacement for this loco - the cost, within reason, won't bother me..

So I will take up your kind offer and I will send you an e-mail soon.

Thanks again

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#40 Posted : 12 March 2010 18:48:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Adrian. Just a thought but was the cheque you sent them cashed. If the cheque was not cashed or has been lost by contacting the Bank you may have a good chance to get your cash back.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Online xxup  
#41 Posted : 13 March 2010 01:06:23(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
David Dewar wrote:
Adrian. Just a thought but was the cheque you sent them cashed. If the cheque was not cashed or has been lost by contacting the Bank you may have a good chance to get your cash back.

dave

The chance is very slim, but it is a good idea and I will talk to the bank on Monday.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline audiopip  
#42 Posted : 14 March 2010 23:39:27(UTC)
audiopip

Hi Adrian,

Firstly I have asked the factory if they can supply your exact motor as a spare. It may be possible, depends on their postion with their customer on this point which obviously I have no control over Cursing . We do not have stock of this motor so it would have to be built which would take 4-6 weeks approximately. Price TBA, be back to you on this.

As far as I can tell the motor is very similar to our standard Amax 16 1.2W part number 352829 (110056 with pigtails), details of which you can find on the maxon web site. That might be another option. Try here..Amax 16 110056/352829 and click on the pdf link.

Unfortunately the forum still refuses my attempts to post attachments and pictures otherwise I would put the pdf on here.

Hope to have some more info for you tomorrow.

If you want to drop me a email at jonathan.pippard@maxonmotor.com I will send you the mailing address. I would be interested to see the problem at first hand. The bearings are sleeve bearings as a standard with ball bearings as an option. Sleeve bearings can dry or wear out of course, but siezeure is not common in my experience, particularly as inside the loco the motor is well protected. The ball bearings are very hard wearing unless contaminated. Not sure which type your motor will have.

BTW, I notice the worm gear/flywheel is very close to the bracket on the motor. Could you check this is not touching?? Or the bracket screws have backed out and jammed the motor? Are the flywheels secured with set screws? One possible isssue is that the motor shaft collars have moved during transit and the clearance has reduced. The collars are a pressfit, and if the armature has substantial added mass this might cause it to move if the box containing the loco was dropped. We are aware of this issue on the larger motors and the collars are laser welded in place. Just a thought.

Best regards

Jon Pippard
maxon AU
Offline nevw  
#43 Posted : 15 March 2010 00:14:29(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Jon, attachments, PDFs photos etc MUST be less than 200K otherwise they are rejected.
nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline audiopip  
#44 Posted : 15 March 2010 00:32:57(UTC)
audiopip

nevw wrote:
Jon, attachments, PDFs photos etc MUST be less than 200K otherwise they are rejected.
nev

Hi Nev,

Never lets me get that far, always put up red banner saying my username and password are invalid.

I have tried changing my password just to be sure i am not going crazy, and also tried another PC that does not have company 'spyware' on it, but the result is always the same.

Also I tried to change my avatar, but it just reverts to the picture of Dave Bs motor.

Could be it doesn't like the server I go through here, we live on an estate with fibre to the houses, so the IT front end is quite heavy duty.

They may think the forum is a phishing site or something..I'll look into it this end a bit more.

Thanks!
Online xxup  
#45 Posted : 15 March 2010 11:50:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks Jon.. I have just sent the e-mail to you.. Exciting times are ahead.

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Online xxup  
#46 Posted : 17 March 2010 10:00:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
David Dewar wrote:

Great idea David..

Well I went to the bank today and they checked it out for me.. The good news is that they have not presented the cheque/bank draft so I can cancel it and get some money back.. The bad news is that when I got the bank draft A$1 was 0.58770 EURO.. Today A$1 is 0.6668 EURO... So I paid $177.13 for 104.1 EURO, but I will only get $156.09 back, less $35 cancellation fee.. So in summary:

My order cost:
$177.13 for 104.1 Euro
$25 for the bank draft
$20 for the overnight international express post.
$35 for cancelling the cheque/bank draft
less:
$156.09 at current exchange rate

$101 for absolutely nothing not even a courtesy e-mail from them to say that they changed their mind about providing the goods.. Needless to say they have lost my business - forever.. I should have read between the lines of wise Tom's message last October.. Anyway it is a life lesson and I can be grateful that I did not order a Big Boy off them..

The bank suggested that I not rush into cancelling the cheque as there was a (slight) chance that the EURO would improve and my losses would be minimised... Crying

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Online xxup  
#47 Posted : 17 March 2010 10:06:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
*** Update ***

Last night I sent Jon a photo of the motor as it sits in the loco (see below - I love this new camera - nice sharp pictures).. This might provide some opportunity for alternate high torque Maxon motors..

UserPostedImage

This morning I sent the old motor to Jon.. It should get there Thursday or Friday and hopefully they can have a prognosis sometime in the next few weeks.. I am not in a hurry and certainly don't expect this one to take precedence over their other work, after all this problem has been going since the middle of last year..

Exciting times are ahead. Watch this space... Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#48 Posted : 17 March 2010 18:18:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Adrian. I expect the usual 10% is in the post. (Ideas dont come cheap these days !!!)

Flash.

PS just ignore Flash .. he has so much cash from the Cave he will never be able to spend it all. dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline David Dewar  
#49 Posted : 17 March 2010 18:27:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I know I keep saying this but if your seller wont accept a credit card then dont deal. If the card firms dont trust them then why should you.
Many here use Ebay and Paypal to save a few $ but a large percentage can get caught in the end.
If Adrian had bought from a reliable source he would have his part and probably saved cash and hassle.
Not your fault Adrian it happens to most folk at some time.
Anyway looks like you could have a happy ending.

dave
Offline audiopip  
#50 Posted : 22 March 2010 09:19:08(UTC)
audiopip

Hi Adrian,

I have managed to dismantle your Marklin motor without too much damage.

The issue is due to overheating of the winding. This is not severe but the winding should be a perfect 'drum' shape and as you can see from the photos the winding has taken on a very slight 'diablo' contour, which is a sure sign that the winding has started to collapse, typically this might occur at around 140C.

As a result the inside of the winding is touching on the outside of the magnet assembly (which runs up the centre of the winding) and this explains why the motor is so stiff to turn, yet the shaft can be moved axially reasonably easily.

It also explains why lubricating the motor has little effect, the lubricant can't reach the area which is in contact, and that area is relatively large and has a high friction coefficient.

Unfortunately once this has happened the motor is scrap, you need a new one...sorry!

Otherwise the bearings, commutator and brushgear etc are in excellent condition.

Would you like the corpse returned??

BTW I have sent the pictures to your email account, but I still can't post, so you might like to. Not that much to see, the damage is light, but terminal.Crying

Cheers

JonP
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by audiopip