Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline audiopip  
#51 Posted : 23 March 2010 07:01:39(UTC)
audiopip

Hi again,

Sorry just reading the trail above I noticed a comment about how to remove the gears from the motor.

This bothered me too, as obviously you cannot get the motor apart with the gears in place.

I tried a small puller without success.

However I assumed they were probably Loctited in position or a shrunk fit. Either way some cautious application of heat from a temperature controlled soldering iron allowed both gears to be removed without damage, so I hope that is a useful tip. Just be careful not to apply too much heat as the end caps of the motor and the bearings supports are plastic.

Best regards

Jon Pippard
Offline xxup  
#52 Posted : 23 March 2010 10:56:33(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks Jon,

I was off the air for 24, while I got the new computer up and running...

Anyway the pictures are here..

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Anyway - the next step, I hope, is to find a suitable candidate to replace the old motor..

Cheers
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline audiopip  
#53 Posted : 24 March 2010 08:46:19(UTC)
audiopip

xxup wrote:

Anyway - the next step, I hope, is to find a suitable candidate to replace the old motor..

Cheers

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have sent you some suggestions by email, but the issue is the short shafts on the standard motors. We might get a run out problem as only around 3-4mm of shaft will be inside the gear/flywheels.

Still a standard motor should be a more sensible price than these Marklin specials and so it might be worth a try.

As discussed suitable candidates are the A-max 16 1.2W 110054 or 110055 which straddle the 'Marklin spec' motor in terms of specification or possibly the RE-max 17 pt numbers 215991 or 215992 if you would like to try a slightly more powerful 2.5W option. This is a very similar motor to the A-max 16, but with a rare earth (RE) magnet and an uprated magnetic return, hence the 1mm larger OD.

BTW I would like to assure you that all our motors are still 100% Swiss made, despite the many target applications. maxon achieves this by using robotic assembly lines whilst many of the competition have addressed this issue by moving off shore. Quality is still our number 1 concern. However, as I said in the previous posts, these model motors are made to meet a customer spec and a price point, so unfortunately there are limits.

Best regards

Jon Pippard
Offline xxup  
#54 Posted : 21 April 2010 00:56:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The replacement motor arrived on Thursday 15 April (last week). (Thanks Jon ThumpUp ) The shaft looks to be the correct length, but the motor looks massive compared to the original.. Personally, I think that this is a good thing as I am hoping this means a stronger motor for this loco..

As soon as the forum is behaving again, I will post some pictures of the conversion - success or otherwise. Smile

p.s. I have not tested the cleaning car's load as my FD who loves fishing does not have a set of fish scales.. Guess what is on the birthday list for FD!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline audiopip  
#55 Posted : 21 May 2010 09:40:40(UTC)
audiopip

Hi Adrian,

Hows it going?? Did you manage to fit it in, or do you have a DMM with a 'power bulge' now?

Just time to fit the mags and the fluffy dice.LOL

Cheers

Jon P
Offline xxup  
#56 Posted : 23 May 2010 14:43:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Hello Jon,

I am ashamed to say that I have been so busy lately with a new project at work, "the list" at home and the Girl Guides (just got home from a weekend conference) that I have not had a chance to get back to the challenge of installing the motor.

The project at work goes to the end of June so I am reluctant to provide a date for when I will get back to the motor install project.. I realise that I have my priorities wrong here and work should come last, but these are such difficult times that I might find myself with lots of free time in July..

Cheers

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#57 Posted : 23 May 2010 18:16:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Adrian. Didnt know you were in the Girl Guides. Sounds good though and hope you will enjoy the summer camp with the sing song round the fire in the evenings.

Dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline xxup  
#58 Posted : 24 May 2010 01:03:53(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Ah well... Crying I was roped into the local parent support group (fund raising) by Miss 10 for 24 stickers.. I don't go on camps with the Girl Guides, but this weekend I went on "camp" with the (much) older past Girl Guides / Support Group mums... There was only one other male there. At one stage I went up to get dinner from the serving area and I declined the offer of carrots - have you ever tried to decline carrots in a room full of mothers! (It was not pretty!).. Scared Scared Scared Scared

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline muzza  
#59 Posted : 24 May 2010 02:23:16(UTC)
muzza

Australia   
xxup wrote:
Ah well... Crying I was roped into the local parent support group (fund raising) by Miss 10 for 24 stickers.. I don't go on camps with the Girl Guides, but this weekend I went on "camp" with the (much) older past Girl Guides / Support Group mums... There was only one other male there. At one stage I went up to get dinner from the serving area and I declined the offer of carrots - have you ever tried to decline carrots in a room full of mothers! (It was not pretty!).. Scared Scared Scared Scared

Amazing what daughters can get their fathers to do. Did you eat all your crusts as well?

regards

Murray
Offline audiopip  
#60 Posted : 24 May 2010 03:46:33(UTC)
audiopip

Hi Adrian, no worries that is quite understandable!

Back when I was in the UK my best mates brother got volunteered to drive the scout/guide troop around as he was a truckie. Then he put his back out, so I had to do it as he volunteered me. So my claim to fame was to try to drive a 7ton truck with a 4m roof clearance under a railway bridge (in the dark...my defence) with a 3.5m clearance. Very embarassing, but it got me out of a job next year!

Cheers

JonP

Offline xxup  
#61 Posted : 24 May 2010 12:46:16(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
audiopip wrote:
...truck with a 4m roof clearance under a railway bridge (in the dark...my defence) with a 3.5m clearance. Very embarrassing, but it got me out of a job next year!...

Yep that will do it!LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline audiopip  
#62 Posted : 24 May 2010 13:20:29(UTC)
audiopip

Hi Adrian,

Actually it was even worse because it was a brand new truck, when we hired it the guy said 'scouts and guides, that will be alright, you can take this brand new truck' 'cause he knew we had a light load (although bulky, scout cart etc) and we were going about 450kms on mainly Freeway type roads, and we were old and sensible RollEyes so a nice running in cycle for his 'new toy'.

Needless to say I was not fortunately going very fast and the insurance covered it...boy did I have a red face Blushing

Offline biedmatt  
#63 Posted : 12 December 2015 13:48:15(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Did anything happen with the motor you got from Maxon AU?
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline xxup  
#64 Posted : 12 December 2015 21:45:59(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The motor was too big for the chassis, so it sits in a box somewhere in the train room.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline waorb  
#65 Posted : 14 December 2015 15:04:31(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline xxup  
#66 Posted : 14 December 2015 21:52:13(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yep, but it does not look like it ships to Australia.. I will ask anyway..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#67 Posted : 15 December 2015 03:58:17(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Wwwooooooo Hhooooooo.. The guy from Italy will send it to Australia - so it is all paid for and ready to go... Fingers are crossed that it actually gets here..

A big thank you to Walter for spotting this for me.. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline RayF  
#68 Posted : 15 December 2015 10:43:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm a sucker for a happy ending! BigGrinThumpUp
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline xxup  
#69 Posted : 15 December 2015 11:19:40(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Well don't jinx me.. Crying It isn't here yet and most likely will not be here until January sometime..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline RayF  
#70 Posted : 15 December 2015 12:50:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sorry Adrian! You're right, I should have wriitten, "Don't bother. It'll never work. It'll probably break again anyway!"

Is that better? BigGrin
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline xxup  
#71 Posted : 15 December 2015 13:26:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
RollEyes Ah.. No.. Not really.. I think.. Woot
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#72 Posted : 15 December 2015 14:57:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
With your experience and my own regarding the motor in my Kof III, I'm seriously thinking about getting a spare motor for some of my locos while they are still available. Some of them are only 20 - 30 euro and it would be a worthwhile investment. I'd have to think carefully about the more expensive ones though.

In the case of my Kof III I guess it was easy to get a spare, but if it had failed in 5 years time I'm not so sure.

Adrian, what are they putting in the current models of the Mak diesel? Is it not compatible with the older version? I have a 37627. Is the motor for this one still available?
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline waorb  
#73 Posted : 15 December 2015 18:01:22(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello Adrian!

Good to know that the motor is on the way!

Down there as down here, is pretty difficult to acquire/buy/receive packages from overseas. When you (and I) want something, mostly like we need several weeks to wait...

Well, I'll be looking forward this (happy) ending!!! Woot Laugh

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline xxup  
#74 Posted : 04 January 2016 10:43:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yeee haa.. Almost seven years after I started this thread, I finally have a new motor in my hot little hands..

UserPostedImage

Now I just have to find the time to install the new motor.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline xxup  
#75 Posted : 04 January 2016 10:45:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
...Adrian, what are they putting in the current models of the Mak diesel? Is it not compatible with the older version? I have a 37627. Is the motor for this one still available?

This is a good question.. When I go to install the new motor, I will pull the lid off the 37627 and post some pictures..

I think the ides of stockpiling spare motors is a good one, but using motor-less locos in a consist also works..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline xxup  
#76 Posted : 11 October 2017 09:47:47(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Finally eight and one quarter years later the 37643 SBB Am 842 rides again on the layout.

Once again, a special thank you to Walter for helping me to find the replacement motor. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup