Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TomB  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2009 20:44:28(UTC)
TomB

<u>Hi.</u>

There are a lot of rumours in the market this winter. I don't know what could be true ....

One Märklin seller in Germany told the customer that a update would not come from Märklin !!!

In Zürich, Switzerland another Märkliner was told the same and was advised to wait for an ECoS 2.

Earlier it qwas another rumour that the leader of the CS2-programmers was fired with the advisers.
Tom Blikstad
HO, german/swiss trains, Märklin K+C, ECoS I+II,
Viessmann, Kühn, MBTronik, WinDigipet 2012, WinTrack 11
Offline davemr  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2009 21:26:22(UTC)
davemr

If another update does not come I will feel badly let down and that will be the end of my Marklin purchases.
Hopefully all will be well but it is about time we heard from Marklin themselves on this matter.
davemr
Offline dntower85  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2009 21:26:47(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by TomB
<br /><u>Hi.</u>

There are a lot of rumours in the market this winter. I don't know what could be true ....

One Märklin seller in Germany told the customer that a update would not come from Märklin !!!

In Zürich, Switzerland another Märkliner was told the same and was advised to wait for an ECoS 2.

Earlier it qwas another rumour that the leader of the CS2-programmers was fired with the advisers.

Lets hope they kept the CS2 programmers, that has got to be a rumor, unless they plan to contract them back in or have them outsourced from another company.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline DasBert33  
#4 Posted : 26 March 2009 21:44:28(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
It is known that CS2 was at least partially made by a consultant firm. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to terminate the contract with those consultants as a cost saving measure. Whether it will be permanent or not remains to be seen and depends on those who take over Marklin.

I'm quite certain an update containing more than just bugfixes will not be for the near future.

Bert
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2009 00:42:05(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
ANd I Have been thinking lately "Will I order a CS2"?? . Now thinking on hold and I will be waiting a lot longer now to see what happens.
In the meantime I have an upgrade Kit ordered from ESU for the CS1.

N

PS: Maybe Lutz will have some definite news and will share it here.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Olle3770  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2009 00:56:29(UTC)
Olle3770

Sweden   
I don't know if I'm really correct here, but it looks as if the CS2 is running linux. If it does, I can't see why Märklin couldn't release the source-code and the protocol-specifications to the public domain right now or in some future. The way I see it they could still make money out of the hardware and let the community do the software part. I mean, it's frigg'n 2009 and we are a lot of people who could contribute - for free or as an enterprise. I have a CS2 (and I'm very happy about it), but it really hurts that I can't tune the software in it to my own needs. I have the skill, I have the tools, but I don't have the sourcecode...

Look at what the modding community is doing for computer games these days, just project that to the CS2...

What I'm trying to say is that no matter which way things turn out in the future, there is a fair chance the thing will either get reverse engineered, or the source code will leak/be released so that the community will be able to continue development. If Märklin plays their cards right, they would have a lot to gain. They supply the hardware, the basic software, and we supply the bells and whistles. A win-win situation. Development for free. It works for computers, phones, embedded systems, media players etc. Why not for Central Stations?

Just my opinion and hopes.
Offline TimR  
#7 Posted : 27 March 2009 01:05:07(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Olle3770
<br />I don't know if I'm really correct here, but it looks as if the CS2 is running linux. If it does, I can't see why Märklin couldn't release the source-code and the protocol-specifications to the public domain right now or in some future. The way I see it they could still make money out of the hardware and let the community do the software part. I mean, it's frigg'n 2009 and we are a lot of people who could contribute - for free or as an enterprise. I have a CS2 (and I'm very happy about it), but it really hurts that I can't tune the software in it to my own needs. I have the skill, I have the tools, but I don't have the sourcecode...

Look at what the modding community is doing for computer games these days, just project that to the CS2...

What I'm trying to say is that no matter which way things turn out in the future, there is a fair chance the thing will either get reverse engineered, or the source code will leak/be released so that the community will be able to continue development. If Märklin plays their cards right, they would have a lot to gain. They supply the hardware, the basic software, and we supply the bells and whistles. A win-win situation. Development for free. It works for computers, phones, embedded systems, media players etc. Why not for Central Stations?

Just my opinion and hopes.

The answer is probably the same reason why they won't release the licensing of MFX protocol outside Marklin system.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline Olle3770  
#8 Posted : 27 March 2009 01:14:49(UTC)
Olle3770

Sweden   
But it's still stupid. It's old thinking. They can make money out of hardware, they can supply the thing we can't make at home. We can produce everything else.

The first hardware manufacturer to recognize this will be the winner. Why spend money on things other people will do for free?

Go figure...
Offline TimR  
#9 Posted : 27 March 2009 03:22:35(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Yes,
I too feel that at heart, Marklin is still a rather an enthrenced "old thinking" company. The company sees itself as No 1 in MRR, and closing the door on outside parties for their system is one way they think will protect their position. This can be positive or negative depending on how you want to look at it.

The original Marklin digital firmly placed the company at the forefront of digital technology in MRR when it was first launched.
However, since the old 6021 control system was blindsided by IB (signs that the rule of the game has changed), in some ways, Marklin had never recovered.

Marklin system, arguably, is still the leader in MRR technology, but there are worrying signs that they are trying to bite more than they can chew (financially) by going at it alone.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 27 March 2009 04:13:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Marklin reminds me of the IBM of the 1980's!
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#11 Posted : 27 March 2009 09:56:01(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
I wonder who will take the financial cost if someone creates the same problem with the latest update that crashed some device.
Don’t think Märklin has the money for that because they let their customer to pay transportation cost back to repair and replace some device.

Personal I don’t trust what individual seller gets their information from but I know that many of them don’t has the knowledge about the new digital equipment.

This is only showing how BAD Märklin communication and relationship with their end customers!

Their homepage suck with important support information and statement!

Do they only has old gentleman over 50+ with suit how driving this company then I understand why this business is going not well.

<u>But this is wonderful news then we have the rights to return our equipment to the store and get the money back.</u>

What can you update with USB stick [:X] Oops! think what them can come up with these days ......

But WOW baby smell it burning? [B)] oh no it's just the smell of burned CS2 new for this year they celebrate 150years with knowledge..... you can order your own fire-extinguisher with Art No 60666

But darling, [:I] place hold my hand until CS2 has booted up clear so I don’t have a nervous breakdown when all locomotives starts in full speed, HELP HELP HELP Help help place turn OFF the POWER the STOP button doesn’t WORK [}:)]
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#12 Posted : 27 March 2009 11:36:27(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
I think he find it on this forum

http://translate.google....l=en&history_state0=
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline Olle3770  
#13 Posted : 27 March 2009 12:15:42(UTC)
Olle3770

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Olle3770
<br />I don't know ifI can't see why Märklin couldn't release the source-code and the protocol-specifications to the public domain right now or in some future.

Olle, did you ever see this? wink
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/pr...S2_can-protokoll_1-0.pdf

PS: I'm quite confident that it will also be maintained in future.

I have seen it, (thanx anyway). Problem is that when I listen to the device (on the network) it transmits undocumented messages. The CS2's own polling of S88-devices are not transmitted either. There is as far as I see no way to get data from the internal database of the CS2 to see what locos are registered etc. I am currently able to control locos from my computer using the "serial" protocol reverse engineered from the StEG-application (I talk to the device directly using sockets, but the message layout is fetched from StEG). Thing is I would like to do this from inside the CS2, that would surely rock! An example - I'm toying with the "shuttle" function. I have a magnetic detector (in swedish it's called a "tungelement") and a small magnet on the loco. The layout are two parallell oval tracks so I only use the middle contact point for the shuttle. The effect is that the train stops at a station for a while and then continues. When I change the speed of the loco in the shuttle definition I must move the magnetic sensor to compensate, that sux big time. I would like to add a trigger-delay to the signal detection so I can have the sensors permanently attached to the layout and fiddle with speed and trigger-delay to make the train stop where it should. I guess more people would like that feature. I bet my ass I could do it and I'd give it away for free if and only if I got the chance. Sure, I could do it with my attached computer, but I already got a computer - the CS2.

I'm rambling, excuse me.
Offline davemr  
#14 Posted : 27 March 2009 12:23:40(UTC)
davemr

Hi Lutz. If you have spoken to the CS2 people can you tell us what they said. I have the link you gave for mobalec but as I dont speak German I am not sure what I am looking at and why.
My CS2 is great and I am telling everybody here how good it is but if there were no updates then I woulds feel badly let down.
Any positive information which is more than rumour is what we need just now.
davemr
Offline pa-pauls  
#15 Posted : 27 March 2009 15:44:43(UTC)
pa-pauls

Quote:
<br />Tom,
Can you also provide something substantial besides those rumors,,,
Agree, a link or something to where he get's it from would be nice Smile
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline pa-pauls  
#16 Posted : 27 March 2009 15:45:45(UTC)
pa-pauls

Quote:
PS: I'm quite confident that it will also be maintained in future.
Me too ! wink Smile
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline supermoee  
#17 Posted : 28 March 2009 00:55:49(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

may I add a rumour?

Märklin will present the update during the fair in Dortmund, the 22th April 2009 biggrin

rgds

Stephan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 28 March 2009 02:26:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes Lutz, but IBM then was very much into proprietary solutions, which almost led to their downfall. However, like IBM, I'm sure Marklin can be turned around to be profitable again.
Offline sudibarba  
#19 Posted : 28 March 2009 06:57:33(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by supermoee
<br />Hello,

may I add a rumour?

Märklin will present the update during the fair in Dortmund, the 22th April 2009 biggrin

rgds

Stephan

Stephan,

I can 100% confirm this "rumor"!!! winkwinkwink

I am glad you can confirm because that will be good for all of us that have a CS2. Of course, it was first going to be available several months ago, then in April. Being an optimist, I thought the first part of April. Now it is the later part. As you said, I guess, it will be when it is.
Eric
Offline davemr  
#20 Posted : 28 March 2009 13:39:36(UTC)
davemr

If its 22nd April then that is great but I just hope it is not put back again as at this time Marklin need to show they can deliver.
davemr
Offline Goofy  
#21 Posted : 29 March 2009 11:41:15(UTC)
Goofy

It´s not sure that Marklin will giving out update at that date...!

Goofy
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#22 Posted : 29 March 2009 11:46:43(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jonas_sthlm

This is only showing how BAD Märklin communication and relationship with their end customers!

Their homepage suck with important support information and statement!

Do they only has old gentleman over 50+ with suit how driving this company then I understand why this business is going not well.

<u>But this is wonderful news then we have the rights to return our equipment to the store and get the money back.</u>

Money back...???
But hobbystore needs money back from Marklin company anyway too about CS2.
Money back for those hobbystore...???
Hmmm,i wonder...

Goofy
H0
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#23 Posted : 30 March 2009 20:58:27(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Dear Märklin customer, thank you for your e-mail.

At the modellrailway exhibition in Dortmund we will present the new software update for our central Station 60213. We hope, that this information will help you.

Sincerely yours, Your Maerklin Customer Service
Offline davemr  
#24 Posted : 30 March 2009 21:47:02(UTC)
davemr

Jonas Thank you. That is what I want to hear from Marklin.
davemr
Offline laalves  
#25 Posted : 30 March 2009 21:59:11(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by davemr
<br />Jonas Thank you. That is what I want to hear from Marklin.

That is the best piece of Märklin news in quite sometime. Fingers crossed. I want my boosters back, to proceed with my layout.
Offline Goofy  
#26 Posted : 30 March 2009 22:04:47(UTC)
Goofy

GOOD LUCK...! wink

Goofy biggrin
H0
Offline Webmaster  
#27 Posted : 30 March 2009 22:28:42(UTC)
Webmaster

Off-topic
Goofy, if you have nothing sensible to say - don't!
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#28 Posted : 31 March 2009 18:58:38(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Anyone who know why the discussion about CS2 upgrade is removed behind password restriction?

http://stummi.foren-city...amp;t=33468&start=75
Offline bibihest  
#29 Posted : 31 March 2009 20:22:24(UTC)
bibihest

UserPostedImage
Offline TomB  
#30 Posted : 23 April 2009 16:51:49(UTC)
TomB

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jonas_sthlm
<br />Dear Märklin customer, thank you for your e-mail.

At the modellrailway exhibition in Dortmund we will present the new software update for our central Station 60213. We hope, that this information will help you.

Sincerely yours, Your Maerklin Customer Service

Now, I really don't understand anything of Märklin's informations. Do you ?? What can be trusted ? Did they mean Dortmund 2010 ?? [}:)]

Yesterday we were told from Märklin in Dortmund that the Upgrade for CS 60213 will come end of May, 5-6 weeks after 22.th April.
And if that wasn't enough, they told that a new Central Station 2 should come in the automn. Today it is ready for the shops (yellow light).
Tom Blikstad
Offline davemr  
#31 Posted : 23 April 2009 17:53:04(UTC)
davemr

I agree Tom. Marklins treatment of their customers is one of the reasons the firm is bust. The days when prople will buy Marklin because of their name are now gone.
davemr
Offline Davy  
#32 Posted : 23 April 2009 18:27:44(UTC)
Davy

Quote:
<br />I agree Tom. Marklins treatment of their customers is one of the reasons the firm is bust. The days when prople will buy Marklin because of their name are now gone.

That is really bullsh-t.

Al others firms thread their customers al lot worse.
But the mfx story has be done wrong by Marklin from the beginning.

M-track with a CS2.
Offline TomB  
#33 Posted : 23 April 2009 20:32:27(UTC)
TomB

<u>Mr. Lutz Hemmerich.</u>

As you know Märklin Service did not only promise to present an update for CS2. For steventrain and davemr it was an available update.

I do not know if I would make a joke of this matter. There are so many customers waiting. They are very disappointed.

Nevertheless, you do a splendid job and a modelltrainer is always a jolly good fellow ! Smile Smile
Tom Blikstad
Offline jeehring  
#34 Posted : 23 April 2009 21:23:16(UTC)
jeehring

A lot of evangelists on this forum sometimes .
Due to the global sense of some messages , I'm sure they are not modeltrain enthusiasts .
Indubitably a new kind of evangelist who works hard .
Offline steventrain  
#35 Posted : 23 April 2009 22:01:20(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have email from Marklin.

Dear Mr. ########,

thanks for your question.

The next update for the Central Station 60213 will be published in May.
We hope, that this information will help you.

Sincerely yours,

Your Maerklin Customer Service Gebr.
Maerklin & Cie.
GmbHCustomer Service
P.O. Box 960D-73009 Goeppingen
Phone: +49 7161 608-222Fax: +49 7161 608-225
E-mail: Service@maerklin.de
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline davemr  
#36 Posted : 23 April 2009 22:01:47(UTC)
davemr

Received a reply from Marklin by email saying the update is now May. No actual date given ..just May. We shall see.
I presume this is a statement from them but no apology for the delay or any reason given.
It is difficult to understand why a firm who relies on the goodwill of their customers are happy to act this way. The three German dealers I buy from are all very good and if anything goes wrong they are quick to apologise and put things right. In fact i had a phone call from one yesterday saying they had forgotten to include a catalogue I had asked for with my order but it had been posted to me along with another which they thought I may like and no charge made for either.
This shows that German firms do know how to treat their customers and it is appreciated.
As I have said before I like the CS2 and enjoy using it but the product is spoiled by the poor back up service.
Anybody looking for a new controller in this forum may well now look elsewhere which is shame as we need Marklin to be successful.

Tom I agree with your views however I have to say that Lutz was very helpful with a problem I had and I hope that he would not joke about something which others find disappointing as this would only make things worse.
davemr
Offline jeehring  
#37 Posted : 24 April 2009 01:21:09(UTC)
jeehring

Marklin is crossing a period of restructuring ...Some events may be delayed , it's understandable for any adult person
1 or 2 or 3 months are nothing when I see how it is with other MRR manufacturers in normal time.!!!!
I have seen some huge delays of 6 months or a year about updates with Uhlenbrock , what about the IB !
ESU usually had enormous delays about avaibility of items.

What about those pieces that have been made available 3 or 4 years after they were announced...
etc...etc...
Marklin is usually known to be the most serious and the most punctual for deliveries , more than any other manufacturers on this market.

The fact they have announced a new multiprotocole reference with DCC is a good new for some owners ( personnally I don't care about DCC , one protocole is enough for me biggrin )
As they bought it few months ago , many CS owners didn't even think dcc could be implemented one day
( I know there was a problem with the update, it just occurs at the bad moment)

Offline Piper  
#38 Posted : 24 April 2009 01:26:29(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />The next update for the Central Station 60213 will be published in May.

Which year?????

Pieter
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
Offline jeehring  
#39 Posted : 24 April 2009 01:52:08(UTC)
jeehring

I have noticed some changes on Marklin website , it seems V 1.05 is not directly visible from my PC , is it normal ?
Offline RayF  
#40 Posted : 24 April 2009 01:58:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring
<br />Marklin is crossing a period of restructuring ...Some events may be delayed , it's understandable for any adult person
1 or 2 or 3 months are nothing when I see how it is with other MRR manufacturers in normal time.!!!!
I have seen some huge delays of 6 months or a year about updates with Uhlenbrock , what about the IB !
ESU usually had enormous delays about avaibility of items.

What about those pieces that have been made available 3 or 4 years after they were announced...
etc...etc...
Marklin is usually known to be the most serious and the most punctual for deliveries , more than any other manufacturers on this market.

The fact they have announced a new multiprotocole reference with DCC is a good new for some owners ( personnally I don't care about DCC , one protocole is enough for me biggrin )
As they bought it few months ago , many CS owners didn't even think dcc could be implemented one day
( I know there was a problem with the update, it just occurs at the bad moment)

Roland, I totally agree with you. What we need is a bit of patience and allow Marklin to get back on it's feet. I also think they've done very well to get these new products to market so quickly. As with everything, there will be teething problems and delays are inevitable.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline hjmo08  
#41 Posted : 24 April 2009 02:39:54(UTC)
hjmo08

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring
<br />... Marklin is usually known to be the most serious...

In a certain way, I cannot agree with this text. And I explain why. For example, reading some lines about the Marklin's excuse in saying that they do not produce new software developments for CS1,... (from technical notes 4/2008)...« As an example, it is necessary more and more that a central controller includes a track diagram control board in order to simulate prototypical railroad operations. But, this can be achieved only with a high resolution color display. For this reason the new Central Station has a color display with four times the resolution of the previous unit.»… «Märklin continues to stand by the compatibility of our products…Numerous new developments and new functionality that we have planned in the future for the new Central Station (60213) can no longer be supported by the older Central Station (60212) in terms of hardware
Like computers, new central stations are built with fast processor and more memory capacity, which is understandable, but ESU will give a new breath in a certain way to CS1(less then a year), with a new software update (the 3.0.0 version), which includes the track diagram control board and much more, providing the same features included in ECOS 50000. ESU did and Marklin did not. I hope Marklin don’t make the same mistake with Cs2 like they did with CS1. In my opinion, I think Märklin has some difficult to tell the true story to their costumers and all the concerns with Märklin's CSs can represent that some Marklin costumers may shift to another solution, different from 60213 or 60214.
Regards,
Henrique
Offline steventrain  
#42 Posted : 24 April 2009 10:28:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Piper
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />The next update for the Central Station 60213 will be published in May.

Which year?????

Pieter

This year 2009.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline steventrain  
#43 Posted : 24 April 2009 12:02:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
<br />Today it is ready for the shops (yellow light).

Not ready yet as as light change.
Offline TomB  
#44 Posted : 24 April 2009 12:10:40(UTC)
TomB

Hello Steven.

It takes in Germany usually 1-2 days until a "yellow" modell turns up in some shops.

Maybe it will be different with the CS 2.2 ??
Tom Blikstad
Offline Goofy  
#45 Posted : 24 April 2009 13:23:31(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
<br />Hello Steven.

It takes in Germany usually 1-2 days until a "yellow" modell turns up in some shops.

Maybe it will be different with the CS 2.2 ??

Maybe update will been arrived at the same time,when CS2 60214 will been arrived out at the same time...?

confused
H0
Offline steventrain  
#46 Posted : 24 April 2009 13:34:26(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
<br />Hello Steven.

The Marklin database have point out error yellow light, It is now dark orange light 'Article not yet in stock'.

M said the 60214 is due in shop by August.
Offline davemr  
#47 Posted : 24 April 2009 13:46:42(UTC)
davemr

Hi Ray. I dont agree that we need patience. We have been patient for the past months and Luis still cannot use his boosters. My main problem here is announcing a new CS2 before sorting out the bugs in the current model. I dont know if you own a CS2 but if you did I am not sure you would be happy with the treatment of customers in this respect.
I have no interest in DCC but I would like my English alphabet sorted so that in order to get the letter 'm' I dont have to press 'n' etc. When receiving an email from Marklin I would also like to hear that they are sorry for the delay.
davemr
Offline RayF  
#48 Posted : 24 April 2009 14:12:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Quote:
<br />Hi Ray. I dont agree that we need patience. We have been patient for the past months and Luis still cannot use his boosters. My main problem here is announcing a new CS2 before sorting out the bugs in the current model. I dont know if you own a CS2 but if you did I am not sure you would be happy with the treatment of customers in this respect.
I have no interest in DCC but I would like my English alphabet sorted so that in order to get the letter 'm' I dont have to press 'n' etc. When receiving an email from Marklin I would also like to hear that they are sorry for the delay.

Hi Dave,

I don't mean to be confrontational, but patience is a virtue we all need, all the time. I understand we are eager to play with our toys, but at the end of the day, that's all they are.

I don't have a CS2, or a CS1, for that matter. I've always been aware of the dangers of buying something which is very new, and I prefer to wait (patiently) for the product to mature, and let the bugs get ironed out.

I feel sorry for Luis, but perhaps he "jumped the gun" slightly when he downloaded an update that wasn't ready for release yet? Anyway, if the next update is now due in May, I hope that will fix his booster issue.

I would just like us all to enjoy our hobby without letting it become a major issue over delivery delays.

Ray
Ray
Offline laalves  
#49 Posted : 24 April 2009 15:03:57(UTC)
laalves

I did not jump the gun.

When I received my CS2, it was v1.0.3. Upon reading the manual, it referred the update options: Internet and USB. So I tried Internet and it imediately updated to 1.0.5. Smooth as silk. A couple of weeks later, 1.0.5 was also updated to 1.0.5.(2) and then to 1.0.5.(3).

Everything went fine, and no word ever came out from Märklin that Internet updates were beta. Updates were by then not available in the Märklin webpage.

Then my first CS2 burned and got another one that updated itself to 1.0.5(3).

Weeks later, 1.0.7.(2) came and all was also fine, DCC worked, short circuit protection worked.

Then came the first 1.0.7.(3)... short circuit protection disappeared

People protested and Märklin's reply was that it was a beta version. I can only say that this is a clear manifestation of bad faith from Märklin: when all worked, they were updates, when they failed, they were "beta" and it was the user's fault. Beta updates were not mentioned anywhere before, manual or web, much on the contrary. Then the "official" version, 1.0.5(3) was published in M's homepage.

Then the second 1.0.7(3) came, annoounced and advised by the Hotline. Short circuit protection came back, although in a weird fashion, and my boosters died. Another beta, obviously. This was November or December, and the Hotline has promised several times that the update was coming to put my boosters back to work, the last one bein April 22nd.

Today is April 24 and nothing. Now it's May for the bug ironing update, and the suposedly free DCC update appears to have to be paid. This is an arrogant, incompetent, irresponsible company. No wonder indeed they are bust. They alieanate their customer base that spends several 1000€ per year in their products. I will definitely cut this down from now on and shift to Brawa as much as possible.
Offline RayF  
#50 Posted : 24 April 2009 15:40:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Luis, thanks for clarifying the issue. I did not mean to blame you, as I'm sure you were acting in good faith. It was just a reflection of my personal attitude, which is that I am very cautious about making any changes to something that works OK as it is.

I feel sorry that you now have such a negative attitude towards Marklin. It must be very frustrating for you to have lost functionality on your CS2 and have to wait months to get it back. I hope that, once it's fixed, it restores some of your enthusiasm for Marklin.

Once again, I have to say that I meant no slur on your actions, and I apologise if I implied it.

Ray
Ray