Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2009 23:34:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello,

I have the Roco Crossrail 185 (MRCE) as well as the 66566 Container Car. I also have some other container cars (47106 NS "Geest" and 66982 AAE "P&O Nedlloyd".
Most of the films I have seen have the Crossrail loks pulling either car transports, or unit trains made up of Crossrail and Ewals containers.
Is it normal to see varied containers and semi trailers or are these trains made up of only Crossrail and related companies?
I could not find any container cars with Ewals containers. I do believe that a few companies may have made Ewals Container Trucks and Semis. Would any of these be compatible with Roco, Fleischmann or Maerklin container cars?

Regards

Mike C
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Offline LeoArietis  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2009 01:06:32(UTC)
LeoArietis

Sweden   
I think you can be farily "free" in your MR with regards to what different brand to put on your container-loads, let it be Geest, Maersk, P&O Nedlloyd, Hangartner, Hanjin... various trains get remixed at the yards and then sent out further to different destinations.

Surely if you always look at a very few trains at certain time on a specific location they might look the same every day or week, but Speditors come and go on the routes. Next year some other speditor will be cheaper and the containers will shift brand-name, but likely not contents.
Current layout:
http://www.svensktmjforu.../index.php?topic=10990.0
The former project:
http://www.svensktmjforu...forum_posts.asp?TID=1097
With Pictures and trackplans, but in Swedish
Transitation-curves in C-track:
https://www.marklin-user...9-on-75-cm.aspx#post9281
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2009 01:11:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by LeoArietis
<br />I think you can be farily "free" in your MR with regards to what different brand to put on your container-loads, let it be Geest, Maersk, P&O Nedlloyd, Hangartner, Hanjin... various trains get remixed at the yards and then sent out further to different destinations.

Surely if you always look at a very few trains at certain time on a specific location they might look the same every day or week, but Speditors come and go on the routes. Next year some other speditor will be cheaper and the containers will shift brand-name, but likely not contents.

The container trains that I saw on trips to Europe (Switzerland) in 1985 and 1998 were very mixed, even some cars included in mixed goods trains.
The days of trains coming in to the Muttenz yards and then being recomposed according to destination are over. Most trains these days operate on specific routes from specific terminals.
The Hangartner, Ewals/Crossrail, Ambroggio and other similar trains run a fixed route on a daily or other fixed schedule between two points (container terminals), ie Antwerp to Gallarate(?). these trains haul goods for a specific company between those two hubs, much in the same way that a UPS Semi hauls that company's packages between two points via the Interstates in the USA.

For this reason, a modern (post 2002) container train would likely have either uniform containers or containers from cooperating companies or partners/affiliates.

That is why I wanted to know specifically what kind of container you could find with a "Crossrail" train.

I have a very nice mixed container train headed by a Nordcargo ES64F4, including containers from "Geest", "Nedlloyd", MSC and others as well as a Maerklin Hupac consist made up of Dreier, Bertschi, Schoeni and Capital to name a few, pulled by a Re 482.

I was thinking about checking out the Hupac and AAE cars from Kombimodell as well as the newly announced SBB Postal Container Cars (finally) from Liliput:)

Regards

Mike C