Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TomB  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2009 15:00:12(UTC)
TomB

Hi.

Special edition for Switzerland, limited to 999 pieces.

The locos Em 846 and Re 436.
Delivery in November 2009.

http://www.suter-meggen....ten_2009/37346/index.htm
Tom Blikstad
HO, german/swiss trains, Märklin K+C, ECoS I+II,
Viessmann, Kühn, MBTronik, WinDigipet 2012, WinTrack 11
Offline mmervine  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2009 15:17:44(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Tom-very nice...thanks for posting this!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2009 21:18:10(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by TomB
<br />Hi.

Special edition for Switzerland, limited to 999 pieces.

The locos Em 846 and Re 436.
Delivery in November 2009.

http://www.suter-meggen....ten_2009/37346/index.htm

A little more info:

After last year's 37342 Re 4/4II Set (Yes, the one with the incorrect railings) and the year before's 37363 Ae 6/6 SBB Cargo, Maerklin Switzerland has announced this year's Swiss Exclusive Item, which is:

37346 Crossrail Re 436 (Re 4/4III electric) and Em 846 (Similar to the Am 842 shunter)

The Set is also listed at Zuba-Tech and Barp-Tech (List Price CHF 799.-).

The Re 4/4III can be found pulling container traffic on the former RM freight lines in the Bern region, as well as on international traffic on the Gotthard and Loetschberg lines. It has been used in double traction with SBB Re 6/6 and BLS Loks, depending on the assignment.

The Em846 is used for local freight trains, primarily on the former RM (EBT) lines, notably at steel plants around Bern as well as goods shunting at various bigger stations along the line.

The set would go well with the Crossrail container car Set announced by Maerklin in 2009.

Here are some photos and infos on the Crossrail Re 436:
http://www.juergs.ch/bahn/vorbild/cr/re436.html

Thanks to Tom B for posting the initial post.

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2009 22:54:11(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
The Euro is killing me. I'd buy this set in a heartbeat but for $700+ USD its WAY overpriced...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline TimR  
#5 Posted : 03 October 2009 00:18:15(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
I think Marklin Switzerland did this kind of special package every year.

It is very expensive - price too close to a Big Boy!
37363 was probably quite successful,
37342 - still got many left over all over eBay and online shops.

I suppose this one probably do quite well. At the price I prefer getting two steamers though.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2009 13:47:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is a sad fact that Maerklin prices in Switzerland are much higher than they are in Germany.
I picked up my 37356 for around 225 EUR (Actually 189.- No VAT). The same lok in Switzerland is listed for over 450 CHF (on special at Roundhouse for 399.) The price for this lok in America is CAD$ 425 or about US$ 375.
The German price translates to around CAD$ 300 or US$ 275. The Swiss price works out to around CAD$450 or US$400.
The Swiss price should be German Cost (No VAT) plus Swiss Duties and Taxes. I don't know if Model RR is still dutiable on import to Switzerland, but the tax is around 7%. Add a reasonable markup for Maerklin CH and the price should still come out far below it's current level. Maerklin inflates it's prices for the Swiss market and those of us who want these Swiss Exclusive models have to pay that price.

If the model has the correct details, then it may be worth considering. Others will buy it just because it is Maerklin. The decision is up to each potential buyer.

Regards

Mike C
Offline TimR  
#7 Posted : 07 October 2009 09:30:33(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Ok.. finally spotted the picture of the model;

http://stummi.foren-city...ie-fuer-die-schweiz.html

The Re 436 is based on early production batch/unmodernized version of Re 4/4 II with small round headlights...
(why should I be surprised?)

And what's the price they're asking again?

To put it mildly, I'd think of it as an Re 4/4 II with an imaginary paint scheme it never had.

But it's really up to buyers to decide whether it's worth the money they're asking.
Offline DasBert33  
#8 Posted : 07 October 2009 10:04:01(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by TimR

To put it mildly, I'd think of it as an Re 4/4 II with an imaginary paint scheme it never had.

Are you sure?

http://www.railpictures.net/vie...php?id=263849&nseq=0
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 07 October 2009 22:27:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The Re 4/4II/III with the larger round headlights existed with the following railways:

Mittelthurgaubahn (MThB): Re 4/4II #21 - Today SBB 11172 with halogen lights
Suedostbahn (SOB) Re 4/4 Nr 41. - The first Re 4/4 with special gearing for alpine inclines and prototype for the Re 4/4III. Today SBB 11350. The only Re 4/4III with only one pantograph.
SOB Re 4/4III 42-44. In 1985, the SOB acquired 3 additional Re 4/4III loks from the SBB. Those loks were equipped with the larger round headlights as per SOB requirements. The loks (including SOB #41) returned to the SBB after 1996 and have since been equipped with SBB halogen lights.
EBT-VHB-SMB (RM) Re 4/4 111-115. Formerly owned by the individual railways (VHB 1, SMB 1, EBT 3) the loks were part of the merged fleet of the RM (Regionalverkehr Mittelland). With the takeover of passenger services of the RM by the BLS, the loks were transferred to Crossrail when that company took over the freight operations of the RM.

A model with the larger round lights would be interesting, especially if the integrated taillights functioned. Many Swiss modellers are prepared to accept the compromise of having SBB standard round lights. Having such a model with the rectangular (halogen) bulbs is a major faux pas.

Give me a model that looks close to the original and I am happy.
Give me a blatant discrepancy and fuggetaboutit!

Regards

Mike C
Offline TimR  
#10 Posted : 08 October 2009 00:41:22(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DasBert33
<br />
Quote:

Are you sure?

http://www.railpictures.net/vie...php?id=263849&nseq=0

Yup.. the pic is shows the larger headlights of the Re 436 - as explained by Mike.
What the Crossrail package had is just the bread-and-butter Re 4/4 II standard mould with the round headlights (unmodernized version of serries 2 to 4).

Not really saying that Marklin should develop a new mould to accomodate this specific model. Yes, I realize it's too expensive - but pretty sure some sort of cheap plastic clip-on part from China would do as compromise.

The lack of interest posted re this model in Stummi should not come as surprising. I don't think Marklin's Swiss enthusiasts around the world will be jumping up and down with joy with this model (or its price).

Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 08 October 2009 06:24:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />Opposed to some other member I am realistic enough not to expect Märklin changing their mold just for such a small production lot.

If somebody really wants it that way it can be done individually (applies only for those who're willing to touch their models) or simply wait for the release from EMB. Compared to that one the price of this Märklin special offer is "peanuts". biggrin

Lutz:
Which member are you referring to?

I have no problem with the model having the SBB normal round lights instead of the larger ones. My Hag SOB Re 4/4 has the same features. I think a lot of Swiss modellers were not happy that the Hag model of the Crossrail lok had the new halogen (rectangular) lights when it should have had the round ones (wrong mould used for model, sound familiar?) and were hoping that Maerklin wouldn't make the same mistake.

It seems that Maerklin got it right (other than the panto). Explain this one to me. They did not use a Re 421 as a basis, because the 421 has the rectangular lights. They did not use the 34345 as I had at first thought (which is similar) because that one also has the halogen lights even though it also does not have the Swiss crest. This had to be a new mould (no swiss crest on front) and round headlights, which doesn't correspond to any of the existing models. For all purposes, if this was a new mould, they could have designed the larger round lamps, as there are no other Re 4/4 models without Swiss Crest other than the Crossrail models.

I am happy with the look of the models, but unlikely to buy the Set due to the price.

As far as EMB, if they make a nice model in SOB colors, I might go for it. I am waiting for HUI to complete the conversion of a Roco 69841 into SOB Re 4/4(III) #41 with the large round headlights. The conversion price was a few hundred Francs.

Regards

Mike C
Offline TimR  
#12 Posted : 08 October 2009 06:51:24(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
Lutz:
Which member are you referring to?

It's probably me as I brought it up biggrin
Though I never said anything about whether Marklin needs to develop entirely new mould for this model.

Mike, I think the crest at the front of the lok is still there - just painted over. I can only vaguely make it out in the picture.

Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 08 October 2009 21:44:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:

Mike, I think the crest at the front of the lok is still there - just painted over. I can only vaguely make it out in the picture.

What you see is the number of the lok (in white) "113" and the "Crossrail" logo on the right side of the locomotive face. The 5 Re 436 of Crossrail, the BLS Re 420.5 (First Series) and the Prototype livery of the SBB 11276 are the only examples of Re 4/4II where the Swiss Crest has been intentionally removed as part of the livery.

For the Swiss Express loks, the Crest was removed and replaced by the &lt;+&gt; Pleitegeier symbol.

All other loks today have the Swiss Crest on the front. Even 11172, the former Re 4/4II of the MThB has that crest painted on it. I do not understand why they have not since replaced this with the crest from one of the Re 4/4II taken out of service.

The former MThB had the Thurgau crest, the EBT, VHB and SMB had various city/canton crests and SOB 41 had a crest with the cantons of Schwyz, St. Gallen and Zuerich on it.

For more info on the Re 4/4II/III, see www.trainweb.org/re2/ among other resources.

Regards

Mike C
Offline TimR  
#14 Posted : 08 October 2009 23:21:03(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Mike,
what I meant was on the Marklin model - not the prototype.
But the picture is really too small to see to really confirm properly.

I'm pretty sure Marklin didn't modify the toolings and took the shortest shortcut. Funnily I don't really have a problem with the crest; I just think that the headlights betray the lok's identity.
Offline tekin65  
#15 Posted : 09 October 2009 00:45:53(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />I just think that the headlights betray the lok's identity.

I must agree with that. Totally different personality.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 09 October 2009 01:15:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Looking at the photos of the demonstrator (Handmuster) of the Re 436 that was displayed at the SuisseToy Exhibit in Bern, the lok will have the following features:

- Round Headlights
- No Swiss Crest - The Lok number 113 and the Crossrail logo will appear on the lok front (right side under the window).
- Integrated Rear View Mirrors on cab (right side)
- UIC Steps, Platform and Railings

The Round Headlights look to be the standard SBB size and not the larger round headlights with built in red light as used by the Private Railways (SOB, MThB, RM (EBT, VHB, SMB))

The model must be a new mould, because:

- This is the first model with round headlights without the Swiss Cross on the front of the loks. Unlike Hag and Roco, Maerklin included the crest as part of the mould and not as an add-on part.
There has been no other model without the crest, other than the 34345 Re 4/4II 11276 Cargo I, which had no crest, but did have the rectangular halogen lights.

- This is also the first model with the round headlights and the UIC ladder, platform and railings. All previous models with round headlights (34/3734, 34/37341, 37343, 26534 and 83434) have not had this feature.

Thus, it appears likely that this is a new mould. This raises the question that, as there are currently only the 3 Crossrail (or their earlier RM livery) loks with this appearance, why Maerklin could not have designed the model with the correct larger headlights? The only reason here would be to be able to use a common part for the lighting channel. I would think that for a part that costs maybe a few Euros, that expense could have been justified as well.

It is possible that Maerklin CH instructed Maerklin to go the extra mile (new mould) in compensation for the shortcomings of last year's 37342 model, although at this point, this is pure speculation.

The other models from competitors:

Fleischmann's model is Crossrail Re 436 112 and comes with round lights (No UIC step/platform/railing). At the time the model was released, this locomotive had not yet received the Crossrail logos and appeared as shown in the Hag model* (below), so the Fleischmann model has the wrong livery, wrong headlights and missing details:
http://www.roundhouse.ch...O/Fleischmann_433901.jpg

Hag's models are Crossrail Re 436 113 and 114
The model of 436 113 has the halogen headlights (not per prototype) but does have the UIC Step, Platform and railing. The model of Re 436 114 has the same mistake.
http://www.roundhouse.ch...-crossrail-436-114-3.jpg

Hag also announced a model this year of Re 436 112 in it's complete red livery (no Crossrail logo).*
http://www.roundhouse.ch...-crossrail-436-112-7.jpg

I would recommend the Maerklin Re 436 113 and the Hag Re 436 112 as the two models that are closest to prototype. The others all have the wrong lights or other details that are blatantly wrong.

If you are willing to overlook the fact that the Maerklin model has the SBB regulations headlights instead of the Privatbahnen norms, I am sure that you will be pleased with this Set.

Now if only they would charge around 100 CHF less...

Regards

Mike C