Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tpedroni  
#1 Posted : 03 May 2002 03:35:38(UTC)
tpedroni

I'm wondering if others share my enduring experience of poor performance by Marklin Z locos. Specifically, even though I clean my track frequently (following a previous suggestion in this forum) my locos still seem run "fitfully" around my layout. That is, they start and stop in fits... never really obtaining a constant velocity. There are specific sections of the layout where this is most common; they are small sections (not even entire track sections, so I don't think it's a "contact" issue with a given individual track piece). I've given these sections particular attention with cleaning, but that doesn't really seem to alleviate the problem. I guess my primary question is-- Is this experience typical in Z? I never experience this in Marklin Ho, were option seems to be invariably smooth and even, and least as far as current conduction is concerned.

Offline KLB  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2002 23:23:35(UTC)
KLB

Hi!
Ok,I don't know much about DC or Z but maybe just a few things to check,....
Are all sections of the track getting enough power,check with a meter.Are the loks wheels also clean?If not the dirt on the wheels will be redeposited on the tracks.
Lok maintenance,is everything lubed,cleaned?

Good luck!

Kevin!
Kevin!

Moderator,Märklin Bar&Grill

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MarklinBandG/
Offline lassepd  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2002 14:50:49(UTC)
lassepd

Actually, I've also got a question regarding z-locomotives.. About 'lubing' the locos; what oil should I use to do it? Does everyone recommend märklin oil or will normal sewingmachine oil do?

thx,
-L

Offline KLB  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2002 22:12:18(UTC)
KLB

Hi L,all,
I wouldn't use Märklin oil,because IMHO it has high viscosity and dries out much too quickly.For my HO loks I use Labelle's 108 oil.Many also say that the Faller oil is very good also

Kevin!
Kevin!

Moderator,Märklin Bar&Grill

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MarklinBandG/
Offline ztrains  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2002 07:41:35(UTC)
ztrains

I agree,

Labelle 108 is a great choice. Also in order not to over oil, see if you can get a hypodermic needle. I actually brought one of my locomotives to my dentist to show him what I was using the needle for! It makes small, single drops of oil a breeze!

John
http://www.ztrains.com