Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2008 02:54:59(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi all,

As some of you may know, I’ve got this thing for the Bavarian GT 2 x 4/4 Mallet locos. Some might know that a lot more Bavarian Mallets used to be in service in this area during the earlier days of railroading. One of them is in Roco’s program for many years. Frustratingly enough, never in AC. I’m talking about the BB II. For years I’ve been contemplating converting one to AC, but I never got about to actually perform this trick of which I do not know who pulled it off. (If you have experience with this exact conversion, I would love to hear how you pulled it off, perhaps I could use your insights once)

This year again, a re-issue of the model appeared, again not in AC. At somewhat the same time, I got in possession of two of the older versions of this little gem. (The 43281 and 43286). So, the time had come to try fitting one with a pickup shoe and a decoder. For the ones interested, I’ll try to keep you informed on the progress made in this little yet not easy project.

First of all, I have to confess that I personally forgot to make a picture of the loco before starting off, luckily, a friend of mine did and posted pictures on his website (highly recommended to browse through, by the way, http://www.osterthun.com), see:

http://www.osterthun.com...s97-99/Baureihe~98.7.htm

After some consideration, I’ve chosen the more recent (and somewhat less pretty) 43286 to convert first. This for the simple reason that the model is more recent and therefore might be less likely to be made out of a more brittle type of material. (And of course to make the most beautiful one also the most perfect one… wink )

So, off we go, after several hours of delicate work, using a small hand powered drill, several sharp hobby knifes and sanding paper, I’ve managed to create some space for the slider (Roco flüsterschleifer, short version) to fit in. A lot of space is needed for that, as the slider has to have the room to move up a little on turnouts, where the centre studs are significantly higher in order to lift the slider over the crossed rails. This required two additional holes in the bottom, besides the one needed to attach the slider itself to the model. Besides that, it needed to be made sure that it is not possible to get a short when the slider touches the chassis of the loco on a turnout. Some pictures of that are attached here. My sincere apologies for the rather humble quality, I've taken them with my phone, as it was the only photography device at hand during the conversion.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The second step was to mount the slider, connect both sides of the wheel sliders that used to be isolated (as it used to be a DC loco), and getting to wires to the drivers cab where a very little space is planned to place the Lokpilot Micro Multiprotokoll. Some more pics:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

In order to check whether there really is enough space for the slider now, and more grinding and milling is unnecessary, I made a little test run over some C-rail switches, pushed by another loco. It seems to work! [#9786;] By the way, probably this model will not be suitable to use on K-track, due to the small flanges of the model, changing that would be a little too laborious to my taste)

The main share of the work seems to be done, as there are only four wires needed, since the model is not equipped with functional front lights or other fancy features.
Unfortunately, this is where the work stops for now, as I do not have a suitable decoder present at the moment, neither do I have more time for the next couple of weeks.
For the ones among you who are not bored yet: I’ll keep you informed!

Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Sander van Wijk
Offline efel  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2008 13:27:28(UTC)
efel

France   
Good work, Sander.
And thanks for the link to that great site!

Fred
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2008 13:28:50(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Keep it coming Sander
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Osterthun  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2008 18:58:54(UTC)
Osterthun

Netherlands   
Thanks, Fred.

I shot Sanders model of the Roco BB II (and many other Era 1 models at the shop) some weeks ago.
At the moment I'm on vacation in Switserland, but in say a week I will add Sanders model in specific.

(See: http://www.osterthun.com...tic/0.Static~Dealer.htm)

Frits
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2008 11:50:06(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
A very short update: today I've found out that Roco originally supplied additional "Schilder" in brass with the model in order to create real relief in the indications of running numbers and such. These were unfortunately not with the model, so, I've ordered a spare set. Hopefully they're still available.

Otherwise, I might have to turn to Kuswa, this company offers a whole range of brass stuff and can be found here: http://www.kuswa.de (only in German)

Update (15th of August): the ESU Lokpilot Micro (52687) just came in, hopefully, I'll have time to install it sometime next weekend.
Sander
---
Offline jonquinn  
#6 Posted : 15 August 2008 04:43:13(UTC)
jonquinn

thanks for bringing up this link to the super detailing items. looks like some really nice stuff - now just have to figure out how to order from this maker.
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2008 12:02:06(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Ordering at Kuswa can be done through e-mail or phone, afaik there is no webshop selling these products.
Sander
---
Offline Osterthun  
#8 Posted : 17 August 2008 21:23:18(UTC)
Osterthun

Netherlands   
Here's the picture, taken before Sanders assembling.

UserPostedImage
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#9 Posted : 17 August 2008 22:49:17(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
@ Osterthun: Thanks a lot! But, this is actually the model that I have not started converting yet, I'm working on the 2510 (43286) instead of this - more beautiful - 2502 (43281)...

@ all: yesterday I've conducted a first test running it, using provisional wiring, it seems to work and it negotiates several switches in a row quite well. Hopefully, I'll have time to finish the conversion next week and post some pictures.

Sander
---
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#10 Posted : 22 August 2008 22:56:21(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Short update again:

HELP! After building in the decoder, it runs like a dream on straight and curved tracks, however, on C-rail switches it just stops. It seems like the little puller is not having enough torque to drag the pickup shoe over the significantly higher puckos,it just slips, although no real "lift" is notable. Any thoughts on how to solve this one? (Could it be that broadening the slightly narrower gauge of the DC wheel sets solves the issue?) Your help would be highly appreciated!

I'll do some more experimenting tomorrow and hopefully solve the issue. As soon as there's progress to report, you'll read it here... wink
Sander
---
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#11 Posted : 24 August 2008 16:35:13(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
FINAL UPDATE: SUCCESS biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

After a friendly inquiry of a friend, "whether I considered using a pickup shoe used for the lighting of coaches, as those are - like the BB II - not very heavy" I again searched through a big pile of different pickup shoes and found out that a slight modification of the M* 7198 slider would be an option to solve the initial issues on turnouts. After grinding off parts of the mounting base of the slider, it fitted perfectly in the space created for the Roco Flüsterschleifer. After mounting it carefully and fully isolated of the chassis in order to prevent from shorts, the first test was conducted; It turned out marvelous. The engine ran lovely and very, very slowly over turnouts, even under the load of several - small - cars.

This is what it looks like now:
UserPostedImage

After that, the four wires have been connected to the decoder (ESU Lokpilot Micro), note that I've used a fourth wire for the ground, instead of the chassis, as in the original set up by Roco, this for the simple reason that running a wire to the original ground is not possible due to space reasons. A picture:
UserPostedImage

The wires are later on painted black and the decoder has been mounted against the roof, almost out of sight.

Finally, a picture of the loco itself, I realise that it doesn't even look nearly as good as in Osterthuns photo, I'll just blame my mobile phone camera for it... wink
UserPostedImage

After conducting a lot of tests, I have to say that I'm enjoying this model to the fullest, it's a great runner, smoothly and slowly, just great. The BB II found a new home in a wonderful state, like the former owner would have wanted it to be...
So, the 43281 is likely to follow shortly with a similar conversion. I'm pretty sure it will take considerably less than the 25 hours this conversion approximately has taken. Therefore, I'll possibly order the newly released 63299 (link: http://www.roco.cc/index.php?id...tail_artikelnummer=63299) as well.

If anyone is considering doing this conversion him/herself, just let me know, more detailed pictures are available on request.

I hope you've enjoyed reading and watching along!

Sander
---
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 25 August 2008 01:18:16(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Very Good Sander.
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline tekin65  
#13 Posted : 25 August 2008 17:15:30(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Very nice work Sander,

It's such a shame that this model have no functional lights - this would have been great!

For future conversions: remember that you have the option of housing the decoder in a van behind the loco. You can even use Roco 4 line current conducting couplers to separate the loco and the van (this way you can use the van to power more locos).

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#14 Posted : 25 August 2008 18:38:18(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Cem, Nev,

Thanks for your kind remarks and suggestions.
On this page http://www.hp-pfeiffer.de/digi_...o/br98_7_roco_licht.html, there is a tutorial on how to add functional lights to this model, I'm not going to try that though, too much effort and complexity for too little effect, in my view. For now, I am very glad with it, even without lights, as the running characteristics are even a lot better then genuine Märklin locos of comparable size, like the T3 and the Glaskasten. But I agree, it would have been nice to have it with lights.
About using a separate car behind the loco to place the decoder into; that is exactly what I tried - and managed - to avoid, as this loco was also used for shunting purposes, it would be rather unrealistic to have it running in a fixed combination. But here again, a nice suggestion!

Sander
---
Offline DasBert33  
#15 Posted : 25 August 2008 18:56:39(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
How does it go through R1 curves? Do the Marklin couplings fit without touching the buffers in curves when cars are attached? How much would a DRG version be worth when looking for it on Ebay?

If it were my loco I would attempt the lights upgrade, I think it has a very big effect, and you immediately see in which direction your engine is going/pointing. But without it it is also quite nice offcourse.

Bert

Offline Sander van Wijk  
#16 Posted : 25 August 2008 19:51:47(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DasBert33
<br />How does it go through R1 curves? Do the Marklin couplings fit without touching the buffers in curves when cars are attached? How much would a DRG version be worth when looking for it on Ebay?

If it were my loco I would attempt the lights upgrade, I think it has a very big effect, and you immediately see in which direction your engine is going/pointing. But without it it is also quite nice offcourse.

Bert

Runs smoothly through every curve, including R1 (haven't checked Industriekreis 5210 M-track though). Even at the slower speeds, it can pull up to five (2-axle) cars up an R1-curved gardient, about 3% inclination. A steeper gradient is going to be difficult as the model is not equipped with any traction tires.
It is running with Märklin couplers, no troubles, there's not much clearance, but enough is enough, I would say.

It should be possible to acquire a brand new BB II (or Zuckersusi) for about 80 Euros, with the additional parts still sitting in their package. wink

Sander
---
Offline DasBert33  
#17 Posted : 25 August 2008 21:12:33(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Thanks for the reply, too bad it has no traction tires. Running on my layout will be a disaster due to the too steep gradients. Despite that, if I ever find the DRG version for a good price, I will have to try it for myself Smile

There is one on ebay now but it costs way too much (158 euros).
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#18 Posted : 25 August 2008 22:51:33(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
You're welcome. 158 Euros is indeed a bit too much, but, seek and you'll find... wink In case you need more information on this conversion, just let me know. I've got a couple more pictures and tips.
Sander
---
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#19 Posted : 26 August 2008 10:10:18(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Ow.... needless to say perhaps, but if you would convert it with lights, I would love to see a how-to here. wink
Sander
---
Offline DasBert33  
#20 Posted : 26 August 2008 10:51:55(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Sander van Wijk
<br />Ow.... needless to say perhaps, but if you would convert it with lights, I would love to see a how-to here. wink

Will do! Cool
Offline Osterthun  
#21 Posted : 08 September 2008 17:38:49(UTC)
Osterthun

Netherlands   
Quote:
quote:Finally, a picture of the loco itself, I realise that it doesn't even look nearly as good as in Osterthuns photo, I'll just blame my mobile phone camera for it...

[size=2]OK, Sander, since you asked for it wink

Here's Sanders very own BB II 2510 taken at the shop last Saturday.

I saw it run! In two words: marvellous!!!

UserPostedImage
Offline tekin65  
#22 Posted : 08 September 2008 18:06:41(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Very nice - good work too!

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline mvd71  
#23 Posted : 09 September 2008 14:02:22(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Prehaps you could try running on the K track as it is to test the theory?

Cheers....

Mike.Smile
Offline Osterthun  
#24 Posted : 09 September 2008 16:06:25(UTC)
Osterthun

Netherlands   
Hi Mike,

Sander van Wijk is going to run his BB II on my K-track layout, soon. I saw it run on C-track last Saturday. I guess it will be no problem at all.

Frits
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#25 Posted : 09 September 2008 23:21:00(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Mike, all,

Good point you're raising here! I guess it won't be a problem as I've - even - adjusted the gauge of the loco to negotiate Märklin tracks optimally. However, I haven't tested it yet on K-track turnouts and as Frits mentioned, I will do that, shortly. Perhaps even with both BB II's, the 2502 is waiting for its decoder to arrive, besides that it is completely converted like the 2510. As soon as more results are found, these will without any doubt be presented here.

Sander
---
Offline RDRBerry  
#26 Posted : 09 September 2008 23:37:16(UTC)
RDRBerry

Hi

I have commercial version in DR livery, so its fascinating to see this.However mine has real return current issues on some stretches of track [overcome if you wire up the points to a relay to enhance the return conduction]. The issue for so many of these seems to be phosphor bronze strips and the wide axle lay ,and the fact the wheels are isolated..

How have you overcome this, as I may try and copy as its such a fine model..
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#27 Posted : 10 September 2008 00:14:05(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Ralph,

Basically, I haven't experienced any return current issues at all. It might be worthwhile to mention that I've connected the wheelsets by connecting the wheel contacts of both sides, this can easily be done as a connection is already nearly there; some sort of component (condensator?) is present, I've simply bridged this connection as the Lokpilot requires "clean" connections anyway, without any special components. Besides that, the gauge of the loco has been adjusted to suit the Märklin gauge, which is slightly wider compared to the DC standards. Hopefully this helps you a little...
Sander
---
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#28 Posted : 09 October 2008 11:15:12(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Osterthun
<br />Here's the picture, taken before Sanders assembling.

UserPostedImage

Small update: yesterday I've finished the conversion of this second BB II as well. Runs almost as nicely as the first one. Almost, as the motor is - with similar CV settings of the exact same decoder - a little more noisy. Perhaps the motor is worn to a larger extent as this second BB II is of an older series and run more by its first owner. I'll have to look into this...
Sander
---
Offline laalves  
#29 Posted : 09 October 2008 12:25:56(UTC)
laalves

Great work Sander! I never noticed that loco in the Roco line but it is beautiful.
Offline Seetal  
#30 Posted : 15 November 2008 06:40:30(UTC)
Seetal

Hi Sander,

Thanks for sharing this topic. Always interesting to see "personalization", it does make the loko more special also.

The Mallets are indeed a good looking design. I particularly like the 4X4 ones. I do not have any unfortunately. Maybe one day...

John
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#31 Posted : 08 December 2008 10:52:13(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mvd71
<br />Prehaps you could try running on the K track as it is to test the theory?

Cheers....

Mike.Smile

It took a while, but finally I've had a chance to test run the model on a K track layout. This resulted in the conclusion that K track is no problem whatsoever to this little engine. It manages to run over switches although it does need some speed as it will get stuck otherwise. (Note that this model is capable of running only 3 cm / minute without jerking, so "some speed" is actually still very slow. Considering that the model runs even at the lowest speedstep over the C track switches, C track is a little more suitable compared to K track)

There is one other little issue though; due to its total lack of traction tires, steep slopes (+ 2,5%) are an absolute impossible barrier to overcome. Currently, I'm - again - trying to get some spare wheelsets to try fitting it with traction tires, which is not easy as it will require making a groove in the wheel surface to accomodate the traction tire. As I do not want to experiment with the loco itself, I'm planning to try it on a spare wheelset first.

Despite this weakness, I'm still really pleased with the model and perhaps it will be possible to correct the issue. If so, I'll post the results here.
Sander
---
Offline Macfire  
#32 Posted : 15 December 2008 20:55:59(UTC)
Macfire

Nice Sander.
Thanks for the progress reports.
Looks fantastic.
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline Manfred  
#33 Posted : 03 July 2011 09:24:45(UTC)
Manfred

Hello .
How did you isolate the engine?
Regards
Manfred
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#34 Posted : 03 July 2011 14:36:26(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Manfred,

Good to see you managed to find this topic, after such a long time...
Actually, I have forgotten how I have isolated the motor. It must have been very straightforward. As I am at the moment working on another conversion of a BB II (as I have sold one of my earlier ones, I 'needed' a new second one), I hope to be able to tell you for sure shortly. This new conversion I am working might also come with functional lights, working on that still...

For now: only one of the two connections of the motor was directly connected to the chassis, and I seem to recall it was very easy to isolate it with a little patch of tape. The other connection was made through a small resistor, which had to be removed anyway. In terms of isolating stuff, I found it most difficult to mount the pick up shoe correctly without creating a connection to the chassis. Please check this carefully with a multimeter when replicating the conversion.

Are you planning on doing this conversion yourself?

Regards,
Sander
---
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#35 Posted : 15 January 2014 16:11:50(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi all,

Even though it has been a long time since I posted an update on these BB II conversions, it has still been on my mind and activity list to perform another one. This time, with ESU Loksound. That has turned out the be perfectly well possible, a little griding made way for the small square ESU speaker (ref no. 50326) on the bottom of the cabin, while the Loksound Micro (ref no. 55800) was positioned out of sight in the roof. As a consequence, all electronical components are fully out of sight and - of course - working. As this model was not mine, but an acquintances', I will have to repeat the procedure on my own BB II's, still.

Perhaps I'll also make an attempt to add working front and tail lights to one of my BB II's shortly... To be continued.

Kind Regards,
Sander
---
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Sander van Wijk
Offline Eifelrandbahner  
#36 Posted : 22 September 2021 14:44:32(UTC)
Eifelrandbahner

Germany   
Goede Mittag, Sander,

bedankt voor de mooije Report - hartstike vijn gedan!

Groeten vanuit het Noordern van de Eifel, Helmut
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#37 Posted : 23 September 2021 12:20:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Firstly, welcome to the forum Eifelrandbahner.

Secondly, this is an English speaking forum so anything you post should be in English. If you post in Dutch you also need to include an English translation.

Thirdly, Sander hasn't posted on this forum for a long time and his last visit here was at the end of February this year. You might need to email him using the 'email' button in his profile.