Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline KeithLForMarklin  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2010 20:04:47(UTC)
KeithLForMarklin

Hi all.

I have two tubes of precision lubricants under the brand-name of Hob-E-Lube by Woodland Scenics. One tube is the ultra-lite oil for bearings, and the other is the dry white lub with teflon for gears.

They were used used very briefly for a very small collection American brand of model trains that I had and both tubes are still full. I had those American brands for less than a year and then I decided to just sell the entire collection for next to nothing, because compared to the quality of brands from Germany, Switzerland, or Austria (like Marklin, Trix, Fleischmann, HAG, Roco, etc...), it is almost as if those American brands have no value.

I want to know whether these lubricants would be suitable to use for Marklin locomotives. Or would I have to use the lubricants specificaly made for Marklin?

Keith.

Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2010 22:06:38(UTC)
Webmaster

Bearings and gears are universally similar, so they will do fine...
Maybe add their "light" oil (I presume "ultra-light" is silicone) into your assortment, this one would be the best for motor axle bearings as I see - will probably keep lubrication for a longer time than the "ultra-light".

I myself use Faller lubricants, and even plain synthetic car motor oil...
No need to use Marklin-branded products.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline sudibarba  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2010 02:19:01(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />Bearings and gears are universally similar, so they will do fine...
Maybe add their "light" oil (I presume "ultra-light" is silicone) into your assortment, this one would be the best for motor axle bearings as I see - will probably keep lubrication for a longer time than the "ultra-light".

I myself use Faller lubricants, and even plain synthetic car motor oil...
No need to use Marklin-branded products.

I believe the old manuals even stated what weight motor oil to use. Probably not an issue, but a bottle of HAG oil or two bottles of Marklin last a long time.
Eric
Offline tekin65  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2010 09:09:30(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hi,

Since we are talking about lubricants; somebody told me that using grease helps reducing gear noise considerably. I know it is not recommended to use grease but would it do much harm if I use?

Also, can it be that grease really helps with the noise?

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2010 11:21:00(UTC)
Goofy

I´m using "Super Lube".
This lubrication is one of the world´s best you even can have for yours locomotivs!
Check at this:
www.ultraglozz.com
www.amko.dk
info@ultraglozz.com

Smile
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2010 16:58:23(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />Hi,

Since we are talking about lubricants; somebody told me that using grease helps reducing gear noise considerably. I know it is not recommended to use grease but would it do much harm if I use?

Cem.

This topic really interests me, since I have several loks with numerous gears. They do make a racket. Has anyone ever found a satisfactory silencer? Once, many years ago, a service advisor from Marklin USA told me to use petroleum jelly. I balked at that, but it may have worked. Another problem is that the body shell amplifies the gear noise tremendously. Is inserting foam the best way to handle that?

Regards,
Tom Cox
Offline tekin65  
#7 Posted : 04 January 2010 17:06:33(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tommyheadleycox
<br />Another problem is that the body shell amplifies the gear noise tremendously. Is inserting foam the best way to handle that?

Hmmmm,

This might be a very good idea. Must try this.

Say, if I cover the motor with a sort of isolator would that increase the heat as to harm it?

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2010 17:33:07(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I've found that Labelle XL (Heavy) works well for axles and armatures, while their 102 Gear Lubricant is great for the gears. Both are plastic compatible and neither seem to harden like the factory-applied "cement" lube Maerklin uses. biggrin

Steve
Offline Caplin  
#9 Posted : 04 January 2010 17:53:52(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tommyheadleycox
<br />This topic really interests me, since I have several loks with numerous gears. They do make a racket. Has anyone ever found a satisfactory silencer? Once, many years ago, a service advisor from Marklin USA told me to use petroleum jelly. I balked at that, but it may have worked. Another problem is that the body shell amplifies the gear noise tremendously. Is inserting foam the best way to handle that?
Firstly the matter of lubrication:
worm wheels and cogwheels should have grease applied, <u>but never on the axles</u>, for axles (bearings) any kind of thin oil (sewing machine oil) will do, but very lightly, because excessive oil might penetrate into unwanted areas like the brushes or down onto the tracks. Personally I use Super Lube (syntetic grease with PTFE) for greasing.

Secondly using foam or like: make sure that the decoder (if any) is not covered up, it needs to get rid of excessive heat. I am not sure if the motor is affected unless used for constant running.
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline Ranjit  
#10 Posted : 10 January 2010 12:36:36(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Keith,

I would avoid the Faller oil. I have found this oil to harden over time, and not suited for Marklin locomotive lubrication.

I would strongly recommend the Modellbahnöl SR24. I have used it for many years and I have found it be a well suited light, non-hardening oil for locomotive lubrication.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline TimR  
#11 Posted : 10 January 2010 12:44:31(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
tekin65 wrote:

Say, if I cover the motor with a sort of isolator would that increase the heat as to harm it?

Cem.

It's a bit scary actually considering the motor do get quite warm usually after 10-15 minutes running..

Maybe use the sound deadening material as normally found under the car bonnet?
.. and only cover part of the body shell..

Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline Marius in Africa  
#12 Posted : 11 January 2010 19:13:42(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Ranjit wrote:
Hi Keith,

I would avoid the Faller oil. I have found this oil to harden over time, and not suited for Marklin locomotive lubrication.

I would strongly recommend the Modellbahnöl SR24. I have used it for many years and I have found it be a well suited light, non-hardening oil for locomotive lubrication.

Cheers,
Ranjit

Hi fellow members

I respect every member's right to choose which lubricant they want to use on their locomotives and rolling stock. This product (Modellbahnöl SR24) is however NOT a lubricant. It is a cleaning- & smoking generating fluid. As per the link below; it is not suitabe for axle bearing and gear lubrication.

http://www.lokdepot.de/d...4-mit-100-ccm::2414.html

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline Deborail  
#13 Posted : 24 January 2010 12:39:52(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
Although I use marklin oil for lubrication on my trix locos, I would like to know what other types of commercially available oils could be used instead because I only have a small quantity. Would sewing machine oil be good?

Confused
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
Offline nevw  
#14 Posted : 24 January 2010 13:28:44(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Deborail wrote:
Although I use marklin oil for lubrication on my trix locos, I would like to know what other types of commercially available oils could be used instead because I only have a small quantity. Would sewing machine oil be good?

Confused

You must be careful as in most cases the oil must NOT react with the Plastic.

There Is the M oil and others which I cannot remember without a bit of searching bit I am sure will appear after this post.
Unsure RollEyes
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Brakepad  
#15 Posted : 24 January 2010 18:20:14(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
Deborail wrote:

Confused

I've been using singer sewing machine oil for some years now and I have had absolutely no problem.
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 24 January 2010 23:27:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I'm using Labelle 108 oil, it comes with a long metal tube for application. Labelle also produce grease suitable for MRR.
Offline Macca  
#17 Posted : 25 January 2010 02:05:15(UTC)
Macca

Bigdaddynz wrote:
I'm using Labelle 108 oil, it comes with a long metal tube for application. Labelle also produce grease suitable for MRR.

Hi Dave,
Where do you get this Labelle 108 oil in NZ?
Quite a few Loks & bits & pieces but no layout yet, hope I never grow up
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 25 January 2010 02:42:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The MMRC has a supply of it Macca. We used to obtain it from Derek Townsend (one of our club founding members), who ran a Marklin and other MRR repair business. Sadly he has had to sell because of ill health. I can check with Julian to see if we can still get it.
Offline Macca  
#19 Posted : 25 January 2010 02:56:41(UTC)
Macca

Bigdaddynz wrote:
The MMRC has a supply of it Macca. We used to obtain it from Derek Townsend (one of our club founding members), who ran a Marklin and other MRR repair business. Sadly he has had to sell because of ill health. I can check with Julian to see if we can still get it.

Cheers,thanksSmile
Quite a few Loks & bits & pieces but no layout yet, hope I never grow up
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 25 January 2010 03:07:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
tekin65 wrote:
Hi,

Cem.

The only problem with grease is, it is exposed to the elements and unless you apply it in the same way as a tiny drop of oil you may find all the dirt quickly will mix with the grease.
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode