Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hoover007  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2024 06:58:00(UTC)
Hoover007

Good morning gentleman. It has been years since I have posted to this forum. I am looking to see some advice from the membership. I will be traveling back to North America and thought I would buy my 60th birthday present several years early and purchase a new controller. I am currently using the Marklin 6021 control unit. I know either one of these command stations would be a massive upgrade.

I'm interested to hear the pros and cons regarding both of these units. My intentions depending on the unit I go for would be to buy a 2nd external controller (eg Marklin mobile station) to be used along with the main controller.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Robert
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2024 10:32:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Robert
Here is a Märklin fan from France having a 6021, CS1, CS2 and CS3(since 3 years).
Here is what I believe:
The CS3
- if you are mostly using Märklin locos and their decoders, then the CS3 is the unit for you. It really works FULLY in MFX which is very user-friendly
- the CS3 is also suited to configure / program all your Märklin devices (Turntable, etc)
- it allows the programming of Märklin decoders (mSD3, mLD3, mSD2, mLD2) and their sounds, using a Märklin tool: mDecoderTool3 that you can download on the M Website
- it allows the programming of all previous generations of Märklin items
- it drives MM2 (enhanced Motorola), DCC, MFX and MFX+ (allowing you to become a loco engineer)
- it allows a remote control by your phone or tablet if the CS3 is hooked to a "Box" or a WiFi router.

The ESU Ecos
- is best suited for all 2 rails digital systems and allows Railcom (feedback from locos similar to MFX).
- it is capable of MM2, DCC, M4 (a simplified version of MFX with much less possibilities) and selectrix
- is delivered with the power pack and provides 6A of digital power (the CS3 allows only 5A)
- is more more open to all recent non-Märklin standards

So in short, if you purchase mostly Märklin locos and accessories the CS3 is the unit for you. It is VASTLY more user-friendly for Märklin stuff. It is also upgraded permanently

If you are more in a diversified collection (locos from other brands with different decoders), if you are in 2 rails (the CS3 can also 2 rails) then the ECOS is a good unit.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2024 11:33:29(UTC)
Goofy

Do not buy MS2! MS2 have weak softprogram so i recommended you CS3 if you want control your layout 100% digital. It is expensive system. Ecos new 50220 are also suitable system and works better with the DCC protocol and you can use Märklin trains too with this system. CS3 offer better functions. Good luck!
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2024 12:41:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You will find that those using a ESU will think it best and those with a CS3 think it is best. I have a CS3 plus and it is great for me and works well with all things made by Marklin. If you support Marklin ( they do make your track etc) then go for the CS3. Both do the job but if Marklin bring out any changes then ESU need to catch up. IF you have a local dealer who stocks both then having a look would be good.
ASs with most things there are pros and cons with both.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2024 12:54:39(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Goofy, really? Many are using the MS2 as a primary controller. You just have to do more work than a CS3, and the screen is tiny.
It is a fine auxiliary when connected to the later unit.
As for the CS3 vs. Ecos, the CS3 is also for 2rail digital, but it doesn't have railcom like the Ecos or the Roco Z21.
The Z21 has better cab driver graphics, but it doesn't have a screen, so you must use your phone, tablet or p.c. with it.
Note that the CS3 is a total touch screen, and the Ecos has also buttons like the cs2. I admit that I was tempted to get the Ecos because of the toggle throttle controls, but got a CS3, after the MS2 because I have collected mainly Marklin since 1990.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2024 14:32:28(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Goofy, really? Many are using the MS2 as a primary controller. You just have to do more work than a CS3, and the screen is tiny.
As for the CS3 vs. Ecos, the CS3 is also for 2rail digital, but it doesn't have railcom like the Ecos or the Roco Z21.
The Z21 has better cab driver graphics, but it doesn't have a screen, so you must use your phone, tablet or p.c. with it.
Note that the CS3 is a total touch screen, and the Ecos has also buttons like the cs2. I admit that I was tempted to get the Ecos because of the toggle throttle controls, but got a CS3, after the MS2 because I have collected mainly Marklin since 1990.

You can use the CS3 with a mouse which is better than touch and works better than finger.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2024 14:57:56(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You can't use a mouse with an Ecos? I wouldn't care for that.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2024 16:48:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Hoover007 Go to Quoted Post

I'm interested to hear the pros and cons regarding both of these units. My intentions depending on the unit I go for would be to buy a 2nd external controller (eg Marklin mobile station) to be used along with the main controller.

Whichever way you go, you will be locked into that brand if you wish to expand the controllers used.

The cs3 can use an ms2 or msWLAN as an additional controller. You can also get a Connect6021 to attach your existing 6021 controller as an additional throttle on a cs3.

The ECoS can use an ESU mobile control II as an additional controller. You cannot use an ms2 with an ECoS, and I am not aware that the ESU mobile control II can work with a cs3.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 03 April 2024 16:57:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

Don’t know about a mouse with an ECOS. But as I said it is good with the CS3. and is easier than using a finger or buttons.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 03 April 2024 17:15:07(UTC)
Goofy

It don´t need.
ESU did present a new Ecos 50220 with higher capacitive touch screen and in fact does it works more faster and nicer.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 03 April 2024 17:24:58(UTC)
Goofy

Yes MS2 can be use as primary control but still waste of money if you have CS3 with two control knobs.
Rocos Z21 are just black box but customer do already have phone and tablet to use as control knob and digital functions by configuration by download free app and just start drive train models.
Somebody will say it lacks for some digital system.
Personally i do see Märklins CS3 do have over ride soft program and some of them are waste to use.
If TS wants to use Märklin digital layout i would recommended only use orginal Märklins digital accessories together with CS3 to avoid digital interference.

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Drongo  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2024 03:57:30(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   

This is not quite true.

A mouse can be used to control an ECoS by using a VNC program - I use Tight VNC and it's very good.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline bph  
#13 Posted : 05 April 2024 13:37:23(UTC)
bph

Norway   
You also have the option to use your old 6021 as a 2nd controller.
if you get a CS3 you will need a Connect 6021 60128
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph