Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Issus  
#1 Posted : 24 March 2024 00:14:04(UTC)
Issus

Spain   
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

I have finally managed to set up a small space for me to start converting some of my locos from analog/delta to digital. During the pandemic, I started reading on the various kits and materials I would need. Whats more, since a few of my nephews have also been graced with their own Marklin starter sets, converting old locos (which I can find for very reasonable prices on the second hand market) is now a usefull skill to have.

To identify the motors I have, I will be relying on this post found in this forum: https://www.marklin-user...ml/service/SEmotors.html

My intention with this post is to document my progress, as well as to seek help in the form of making sure that I am identifying the components that I am upgrading correctly.

The first loco that I am going to upgrade is one that was gifted to me, I believe that the set number is 3395, a steam loco with number 003 131-0. The reason I am starting with this one is because it is big, therefore I can work confortably with it (and in it). Furthermore, I have a similar loco, set number 37953 that I can use as a sort of reference.

Now, for this conversion, I believe I have a DCM motor. To replace it, I have a 60760 Digital High Efficiency Propulsion Set, and I also have ready a decoder that I ordered from ESU (a loksound 5 decoder). I also have a Hamomagnet from ESU (reference 51962). I ordered it for a reason, but that was 4 years ago and I cant remember what I was going to use it for. I believe that I was going to substitute the magnet that came with the 60760.

I will also need LED lamps, to replace the ones in older models. Suggestions as to which lamps are recommended to use, as well as extra bits that one should have handy (ie. resistors, capacitors, etc) are most welcome!

My first step will be to remove the DCM motor from the chasis, along with the reverse mechanism, in order to install the new motor.

Here is a close-up of what I believe to be the DCM motor
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-23 at 23.57.10.jpeg

Below, the complete motor, along with the reverse mechanism.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-23 at 23.57.10 (1).jpeg

I will post again, once I have cleaned and oiled the loco, as well as installed the new motor. Sugestions, and more importantly, corrections, are more than welcome.

Cheers!
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Issus
Offline cintrans  
#2 Posted : 24 March 2024 14:31:10(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Issus

Welcome to the forum
The 60760 kit has a complete motor kit in it to replace the DCM motor, no need to substitute the magnet from the kit with the ESU Hamomagnet.
You use the ESU magnet only if you want to keep the 3 pole rotor and motor shield to turn your A/C motor to DC

Good luck with the conversion, its fun to do! Did many of them over the years!

Regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2024 07:31:50(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Issus something to look at to give you an idea of how I did my BR03 a long time ago when you didn't have such a great selection for speakers & ESU decoders were best at the time:

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

D.A.Banks
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Issus  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2024 19:28:11(UTC)
Issus

Spain   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Issus

Welcome to the forum
The 60760 kit has a complete motor kit in it to replace the DCM motor, no need to substitute the magnet from the kit with the ESU Hamomagnet.
You use the ESU magnet only if you want to keep the 3 pole rotor and motor shield to turn your A/C motor to DC

Good luck with the conversion, its fun to do! Did many of them over the years!

Regards
Jean-Pierre

Thank you for the welcome.
You are correct, the magnet was purchased to upgrade a swiss loco type Ae 3/6II (I found my notes when digging around for the oil to lubricate the current project).

I hope to gain a bit more insight into electronics, and not bungle anything up!
Offline Issus  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2024 19:30:01(UTC)
Issus

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
Issus something to look at to give you an idea of how I did my BR03 a long time ago when you didn't have such a great selection for speakers & ESU decoders were best at the time:

Hello Dave, thank you for the images. An excellent source to get an idea on how to place the components. I hope you dont mind if I copy you on some or all aspects!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Issus
Offline Issus  
#6 Posted : 25 March 2024 19:55:27(UTC)
Issus

Spain   
So today I took the old motor out, and desoldered the old lamps. They will be substituted by 2 white leds (with attached 680 ohm resistors, I believe that are needed)

Once I cleaned out the gears from some heavy gunk that had accumulated, I procedeed to instal the new motor:
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-25 at 19.06.02.jpeg

I'm missing the second (resistor) choke, which I will install tomorrow when I get my hand on some colored wires.

I will also need to figure out how to attach the new ESU decoder to the tender chasis, since the box does not include a support of any kind. Not much of a problem there, but I am worried about the installation of the decoder. I not yet sure if I'm reading the instalation instructions right. I will most likely do a dryfit before soldering, to make sure everything is wired the way it's supposed to be.

I have a question, hopefully someone will be able to iluminate me. The instructions contained in the Marklin 60760 mention that you must remove 2 condensors from what I can only assume is the motor brush plate. My electronics is a bit rusty, but I'm pretty sure that the brushplate contained in the 60760 kit only has one condensor. Are the instructions recycled from another kit?

Until next time!

Edited by user 26 March 2024 21:06:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Issus
Offline cintrans  
#7 Posted : 26 March 2024 00:26:54(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Issus

Those are not resistors, but chokes / inductors to eliminate interference in radio & TV
They are talking about the capacitors on the old motor shield, so nothing to remove on the new one that comes with the kit.

Regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline Issus  
#8 Posted : 26 March 2024 21:04:00(UTC)
Issus

Spain   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Issus

Those are not resistors, but chokes / inductors to eliminate interference in radio & TV
They are talking about the capacitors on the old motor shield, so nothing to remove on the new one that comes with the kit.

Regards
Jean-Pierre

You are correct, my apologies. They looked like resistors when I first opened the box, and the term stuck in my head.
Offline Issus  
#9 Posted : 26 March 2024 21:20:08(UTC)
Issus

Spain   
Painful progress was made today. The second choke was soldered in place, and the motor was tested successfully.

I then started to replace and install the new wires, which were much too thick for the job (but that was a thin as the had then in my local electronica store). With a bit of green thumb know how, I managed to sit the cables comfortably and installed the head lamp, auxiliary function 1 and return cable.

17114842819985271149427341161776.jpg1711484308783527116010604217422.jpg

I then focused my attention on the tender. I replaced the existing wire that went to the pick up shoe, and then attempted to run a wire to the back wheel drive for the left track connection. However, the solder wont stick. I will give a fresh attempt tomorrow, and proceed to dry fit the decoder, before final soldering.

17114843501632920948742116641465.jpg

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to attach the decoder. I was sure that the kit would come with a plastic casing of sorts in order to attach it to the loco, but it is not the case.

My first idea would be to isolate the area with electrical tape, and then attach the decoder with double sided tape, but I wonder if there is a more practical or elegant solution?
Offline Dave Banks  
#10 Posted : 27 March 2024 03:23:29(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
The vertical post in the middle of the tender with the screw will do. Cut a rectangular piece of plastic maybe a bit thicker than a 2 litre Milk bottle & make it a bit longer than your decoder & drill a hole in the one corner aligned with the hole in the vertical post & put the screw in securing the plastic. Make sure the bottom of the plastic is flush with the bottom of the vertical post. Then having left yourself enough space attach your decoder to the plastic surface via double sided tape. Make sure the screw is visible to you after you have stick the decoder to it so you can remove if needed & the decoder does not make contact with that screw. That would be the cheapest way of doing it. Some of our experienced team may have better ideas & maybe they can show some via a photo or two.
We used to click older decoders like #6090 in to holders like this :

https://picclick.de/M%C3...tml#&gid=1&pid=1
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Issus  
#11 Posted : 28 March 2024 15:40:17(UTC)
Issus

Spain   
A quick search through the internet yielded a 3d file that I could print in order to sit the decoder on the tender section. I think it works quite well.

Soldering the wires to the decoder was NOT fun. I could never get a clean soldering point, because the solder stick to the tip of my iron, no matter how clean I try to be.

The wire shield retracting because of the heat that needed to be applied to the decoder in oder to attach the wires results in a poor job. I will most likely have to redo the entire installation, with thinner wire and a smaller soldering point.

IMG20240328151824.jpgIMG20240328151835.jpg

I can move ahead with the programming, which I will do tonight or tomorrow. If anyone has experience with the ESU lok programmer, is there anything I should watch out for?

Im setting up a small section of track, red wite connecting to the B terminal and black to the O terminal in Marklin tracks.

Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 28 March 2024 16:44:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Of course everyone has their own idea how to convert locos, I've found in the past if there is not enough room for the chokes I'll see if there is room in the tender, one has to look at every spare space and than decide which component fits in the spare space, this will take a while until you get used converting locos, when I have some time I'll show you some pictures of my method

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Issus  
#13 Posted : 28 March 2024 18:04:46(UTC)
Issus

Spain   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Of course everyone has their own idea how to convert locos, I've found in the past if there is not enough room for the chokes I'll see if there is room in the tender, one has to look at every spare space and than decide which component fits in the spare space, this will take a while until you get used converting locos, when I have some time I'll show you some pictures of my method

John

In this case, I have enough room for the chokes, but the diode on the shield plate needs to be shortened. My main problem is the wires I'm using. Much to big for this particular loco.

I've already decided to substitute them for thinner wire. Hopefully, it will be easier to solder onto the decoder.

That being said, I will hold off on programming the decoder until I'm satisfied with the installation.

Offline Dave Banks  
#14 Posted : 28 March 2024 22:16:27(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Issus you need to use a good quality solder station & they are not expensive to do fine delicate soldering. What ESU decoder are you using & what Aux outputs are you going to use. On mine its Smoke & Wheel running gear lighting & my decoder is a Loksound V3.5 decoder.
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Issus  
#15 Posted : 29 March 2024 21:49:29(UTC)
Issus

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
Issus you need to use a good quality solder station & they are not expensive to do fine delicate soldering. What ESU decoder are you using & what Aux outputs are you going to use. On mine its Smoke & Wheel running gear lighting & my decoder is a Loksound V3.5 decoder.

I think I have a suitable soldering station. Not the best, I did buy it when I was in college, but I do believe that the issue is more in my skill than the soldering iron.

Offline dickinsonj  
#16 Posted : 30 March 2024 00:20:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I bought a quality soldering station and suddenly my skill was greatly improved.

Working with the right tools is always a plus.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj