Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2024 08:11:24(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi all,

So I decided to go ahead with buying 2 of the LS Models SBB Panorama Gotthard coaches, then 3 coaches to with them (LS47372, LS47373 & LS47374).

This will go with the recent Re 460 from Marklon that I have in reservation and should hopefully be available soon.

I checked the minimum radius, I’m told these will work ok with the R1 provided that there is straight between before a curve going the other direction (so, it doesn’t like an S bend if that makes sense, unless it’s R2).

Given the lack of information about these coaches, I’ll change the subject wheelsets when they arrive (I have various sizes on hand).

So the next dilemma…. Lighting! After spending hours looking at photos of the coaches, it seems that the Roco slider might fit the bogie (but I am unsure and probably wrong). I an old product information sheet from LS Models (around 2021) stating that the old version of this coach could accomodate a slider but off course, no part number was provided.

I’m hoping that there are LS Models owners out there who could give me some guidance here. I know that there are restaurant cars with the slider already attached but this won’t work with this set up.

Many thanks as always,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2024 09:11:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Eddie, if you have any photos from the underside of the coaches (bogies) this would be helpful

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Eddie7979  
#3 Posted : 02 March 2024 11:35:41(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Eddie, if you have any photos from the underside of the coaches (bogies) this would be helpful

John

Hi John,

I’m still waiting for the panorama coaches, I will probably receive the other ones June. The place where I bought them from is in Germany, I have them set aside until a couple of locomotives I have on pre-order arrives (trying to bundle an order to save on shipping).

I guess I was just trying to get ahead and ask the community here to share experiences.

I will definately share photos and copies of the instructions on here when I receive them. Hopefully it can help other people.

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2024 18:40:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't have the SBB Panorama Coach from LSM. I can post a photo of the underside of the bogie of a standard SBB Apm or Bpm coach if that would help, but the Panorama coach had different brakes than the regular open seating coaches due to the extra weight of the coach design and I am sure that LSM reproduced this detail on the model too.

I have not added lighting to any of my LSM models. Maybe I will at some point.

Regards

Mike C

Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2024 18:49:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post

So the next dilemma…. Lighting! After spending hours looking at photos of the coaches, it seems that the Roco slider might fit the bogie (but I am unsure and probably wrong). I an old product information sheet from LS Models (around 2021) stating that the old version of this coach could accomodate a slider but off course, no part number was provided.

I think that the Panorama coach requires a different lighting strip than the other coaches.

Here are the photos from one of the recent SBB EC coaches (Bpm):
LSM SBB EC Bogie 2.jpg
LSM SBB EC Bogie 1.jpg

The older generation of models had the two pins similar to the ones that Roco had on the underside of their bogies.
These new ones have a slightly different appearance. According to the instructions, the coach models are already equipped with contact plates (DC). I don't think that these are wired to the coach interior. A cable probably has to be soldered to the contacts and to the lighting strip. The AC slider would have to be mounted on the underside of the bogie.
What you could do is to enquire with Eyro (CH), Huenerbein (DE) or other dealer to learn what they recommend for slider. I had a Flusterschleifer and axle contact from RailTop that I was considering mounting on an older LSM model.

I found photos of the bogies of the Panorama coach on Stummi Forum. You have to be signed in to view them
https://www.stummiforum....uerich-Debuet-Infos.html
The bogies are similar to the ones in the photos I posted above, except that the model comes with a third brake disc. It should still be possible to mount an AC slider on the bogie.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2024 20:35:58(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
Recently i have received my Models World (LS models) CIWL Nord express. With 3rd party AC wheelsets they are now running fien in my layout, since they have lightning ex factory i want them to be lit. But my approach is different, since they are so precisely made i dont even think of a slider in the coaches but rather feed them trough a CC coupler in the loco, it will limit them to be pulled by one or two locos, but that is OK. Standard marklin CC couplers does not work as they hit the buffers, with Fleischmann profi couplers they work well, meaning that i could use 2 pole Viessmann conducting couplers, but they have 2 pole ( i only need one ) and expensive, i will make a try with 72025 from a new marklin set and see if it works, then order the proper couplers and do the wiring.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Eddie7979  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2024 07:09:29(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I don't have the SBB Panorama Coach from LSM. I can post a photo of the underside of the bogie of a standard SBB Apm or Bpm coach if that would help, but the Panorama coach had different brakes than the regular open seating coaches due to the extra weight of the coach design and I am sure that LSM reproduced this detail on the model too.

I have not added lighting to any of my LSM models. Maybe I will at some point.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much, this is really helpful.

The photos are really helpful, my plan was to attach the slider one of the APM coaches and then use the 2 pole current conducting couplers from Viessmann.

I will take your advice and ask the dealer for advice (also check out the recommendations you shared). I emailed LS Models as well, so perhaps I might get some response from them too (though, I’ve emailed them before and never received a response - let’s hope this time I get one).

Just for interest, here is a brochure I found from 2017 that confirms the ability to attach a slider. While the design of the bogie may have changed since then, I would be surprised that this has changed.

https://www.trainsdepot....sbb_eurocity_coaches_pdf

Looking at your photo, I wonder if that part (highlighted in yellow) is removable. Looks like the Roco design underneath - unless it’s all one piece.

IMG_3895.jpeg

I will share any information I find out as it might help you (and any others with the same issue), in the event you wish to go ahead with installing the lighting.

Kind regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eddie7979
Offline Eddie7979  
#8 Posted : 03 March 2024 07:13:18(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hello
Recently i have received my Models World (LS models) CIWL Nord express. With 3rd party AC wheelsets they are now running fien in my layout, since they have lightning ex factory i want them to be lit. But my approach is different, since they are so precisely made i dont even think of a slider in the coaches but rather feed them trough a CC coupler in the loco, it will limit them to be pulled by one or two locos, but that is OK. Standard marklin CC couplers does not work as they hit the buffers, with Fleischmann profi couplers they work well, meaning that i could use 2 pole Viessmann conducting couplers, but they have 2 pole ( i only need one ) and expensive, i will make a try with 72025 from a new marklin set and see if it works, then order the proper couplers and do the wiring.
Regards

Hi,

That’s good to know, are you running these coaches on R1 radius as well? I’d be keen to know because I’d love to have some of these.

Also, the 2 pole current conducting from Viessmann (5048) work so well for me and use them on most of my rolling stock (other than Marklin).

I used to have some issues with this, even trying the magnetised ones but found that the 5048 works best.

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 03 March 2024 15:11:22(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi
When trying with original wheelsets they did not run on R1, they are rated for R2 and above. With the new wheelsets i have being doing the test with 39244, wich can run but does not like R1, you can feel the stress on the drivetrain, so only R2 in my M track layout. Did tried the 72025 couplers but they hit the buffers as well. I have also tested the Piko close couplers and they work fine too, so i will make the gamble with Piko CC close couplers wich have thinner cables than the Viessmann ones, it will be easier to rewire the cars that way
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 03 March 2024 15:32:58(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Update
The NEM pockets on the cars have 2 positions, long and short, did a test drive in the long position, and yes, they run well on R1 also
Regards
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 03 March 2024 18:31:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I equip my LSM and ACME (and other) models with Roco's Universal Coupler as this coupler has a shaft that is about 1mm longer than Maerklin's 7203. I had found that when using Maerklin's close coupler, Roco or Fleischmann's close couplers that there was often an issue with coaches completely coupling to each other. The extra mm of the Roco Universal design solves this issue and the coaches can still be coupled with Maerklin's 7203 or regular hook couplers. The dual position design is also helpful.
I know one modeller whose solution was to equip alternate coaches with close couplers and regular hook ones.
A lot of longer models can handle the R1 radius, but they will hang over the side and may hit trackside objects (signals, masts, etc). They may also have issues with S-curves and require R2 or greater for such operation.
Hag used to have regular hook couplers with varying shaft lengths, which helped with a few models during the early days of NEM sockets.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 03 March 2024 18:38:47(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Usually i use Roco universal couplers and i love them, but with this set i had troubles with them hitting thé buffers.
The lantern of the 2 surviving 5100 series turnouts were removed long time ago to avoid troubles. R1 itself will be completely removed at some point in the future
Regards
Offline Eddie7979  
#13 Posted : 14 March 2024 02:03:48(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi all,

The supplier I bought the LSM Apm and Bpm coaches from made enquiries on my behalf and advised that there is no slider available for these models.

Since the panorama coaches have a similar bogey, I believe they won’t have a compatible slider either.

Thanks to all the information provided by you guys, I decided to source a Roco coach to this consist and use it as the power pick up.

According to the supplier, they have a hard time getting any information from LSM and usually need to contact multiple times to get a response. The supplier mentioned LSM will be sending compatible AC wheels but stated they are not overly optimistic.

I also contacted LSM many weeks ago and never heard anything back.

I have to admit, it’s a shame to see a manufacturer that makes great products be so lousy with providing the most basic information about their products and having some sort of customer service. Being a premium product at higher price bracket, you would think that the pre/after sales service would be really good.

I should mention the LSM are not the only manufacturer I have this kind of experience with.

I hope that they change the way they operate, it’s one way to encourage people to are looking to take on this hobby and the dealers out there.

That’s my rant for the day anyway!

PS - once I receive my LSM products, I will scan the manual and post it on here.

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 15 March 2024 04:00:10(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I get most of my LSM models from Eyro in Switzerland, Huenerbein in Germany or Memoba in Austria. The German importer is Lemke, the Swiss importer is KML-Log. I have found that Eyro is an excellent source for information and parts. Huenerbein and Memoba have also offered excellent service where there were minor issues with the models.
For a lot of models, they are designed by independent designers for LSM. I think that the SBB EC coach models were designed by Tobias Kohler. He is on a number of forums and it may be possible to ask him directly.

Regards

Mike C
Offline franciscohg  
#15 Posted : 15 March 2024 18:24:53(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
In had a hard time sourcing AC wheels for my CIWL coaches, not a word on LS models site and could not find a set with the proper lenght anywhere. That was until i received some AC wheels for some Dekas coaches that i bought,and they were almost the exact length and fits well on the LS coaches wich are now running fine. Part number is DK-879900
Regards
Offline Eddie7979  
#16 Posted : 20 March 2024 10:50:10(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi everyone,

Here is an update on my journey with LS Models.

Thw panorama coaches are almost here, after a long journey from Germany. I made an enquiry with the dealer I bought them from to check the wheel size (since I need AC), I was told that changing the wheels may not be possible unless I remove the whole bogey 🙄

I was told that they could accomodate 10.3mm, so might get some of those. I might also take franciscohg’s advice and source the ones from Dekas.

On a positive note, the dealer I usually buy from has the EC Bpm and Apm I ordered available. After I asked them about the wheel size I needed for AC, they made an enquiry and ended up getting the AC wheels for free from LSM!

I guess the next part of my adventure is going to be figuring out how to replace the wheels - seems like it’s not just a matter of pulling the DC wheels out and inserting the AC ones.

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 20 March 2024 16:32:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You will have to remove the bogies from the chassis (with care) and then either insert the wheelsets from the top side or remove parts (brake discs, etc) in order to access the wheelsets from the bottom. I have not worked on mine, so I am not 100% certain. I will do some research.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Eddie7979  
#18 Posted : 21 March 2024 04:59:40(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
You will have to remove the bogies from the chassis (with care) and then either insert the wheelsets from the top side or remove parts (brake discs, etc) in order to access the wheelsets from the bottom. I have not worked on mine, so I am not 100% certain. I will do some research.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate it. Once the panorama coaches arrive I’ll have to check to see how it’s put together. I am hoping that there is some kind of instructions with it.

I had to replace the wheels on 3 SNCB Eurofima coaches from Piko, these had the brakes as well. With a bit of patience and a few swear words, I was able to do it successfully.

Good thing about this experience is that I can share with anyone else who is considering buying these coaches from LS Models.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail