Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline revmox  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2024 06:25:50(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Having come up for my first traction tire replacement, on a 36244 and having a few locos with the same size connecting rod screws, I had look at the Marklin 70900 tool kit. I was a bit suspicious that it didn't look right so I contacted my supplier who advised that it had the right tool to remove those screws.

Of course, when it arrived it didn't, the screws are 2mm on those locos and the smallest nut driver in the set is 2.5mm. Confused

It seems like this is a major omission from the tool set for recent locos. The latest advice is to try a small pair of pliers.

Fortunately, I do more than enough small mechanical work for me to easily justify buying extra tools - a Wiha 26592 set of miniature metric nut drivers is on its way. If you just want the single 2mm one it's a Wiha 26520.

What do others use or recommend?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2024 11:39:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Revmox
French Märklin fan since 1961 here.
I agree that the Märklin toolkit is not complete at times (but quite rarely).
For instance I tried to access wheel tires on a 2023 Märklin steamer and I had the surprise to see that the hex screw was smaller than any of hex screwdrivers in the kit.

That said the vast majority of my locos (approx 150 from 1949 till 2024) can be serviced.

IMO the most needed parts that are not in the kit are:
- a pair of clockword tweezers (I got mine from a visit in Switzerland in 1955 DUMONT factory)
- a very thin screwdriver (less than one mm) to install correctly a traction tire and also to dislodge a wheel tire (yes it goes also very well by pinching the tire with tweezers)
- as earlier explained a set of female hexscrewdrivers of very small metric dimensions
- a LED large magnifier

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline revmox  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2024 04:43:32(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Just a follow up.

Full Wiha set 1.5,1.8,2.0,2.5,3.0,3.5,4.0 mm - very nice but a little pricey.

Also, available from a proper model railway company BigGrin , Hornby R913 Con Rod Spanner 2.0,2.5 mm - will fix that glaring gap in the Marklin tool set.ThumpUp

PXL_20240216_032407895.jpg
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline Paul59  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2024 10:04:32(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
I've got a couple of locos from 2000 or 2001 with 2mm crank pins.
To be fair to Marklin they've only had 24 years to realise that their own tool kit doesn't fit their own locos so give them a chance!
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Paul59
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2024 11:24:32(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Those Wiha screwdrivers are very good ThumpUp

last year i bougt Micro Combination spanner/wrench set from Donau Elektronik, as a suplement to my Wiha set. mostly for easier acess to some nuts on wheels etc.
Coupler and smoke generator for size reference
R5_B7647_s.jpg

I have this Wiha 92092 set (ESD safe version): I use it quite often, not only on my Märklin but on many other things as well.
Wiha 92092.jpg
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline revmox  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2024 11:27:18(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Don't worry Paul, I'm sure they're working on it.

I'm glad that Marklin isn't one of those companies where marketing, finance and human resources have triumphed over good engineering and quality control.

Offline Paul59  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2024 12:20:05(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Absolutely - perish the thought should that ever happen eh? BigGrin BigGrin
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2024 04:49:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: revmox Go to Quoted Post

Also, available from a proper model railway company BigGrin , Hornby R913 Con Rod Spanner 2.0,2.5 mm - will fix that glaring gap in the Marklin tool set.ThumpUp

PXL_20240216_032407895.jpg

Well Mark
I have the Hornby Rod Spanner, so that will suit me.
In fact having run Märklin trains now for 19 years, I can only remember once or twice having to remove a rod nut to replace a tyre.
And in one case, the loco (an Insider) was brand new, and the tyre was all twisted so the loco jumped along the track.
But I use the 70900 tool kit tweezers and screwdrivers constantly so I have one in the layout room and another in my workshop.

An alternative to the Wiha is the Expo 78040 small spanner set of 6 drivers which they call a Nutrunner set, very reasonably priced.
I purchased the set from an English model shop when ordering other stuff.
Maybe it is available in Australia, I never checked.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline teerex  
#9 Posted : 20 March 2024 03:18:57(UTC)
teerex

Norway   
I never got to order the 70900 kit, but I have now ordered the Wiha 26592 set.
A bit expensive but free shipping from Amazon. Seems like the best set out there for all kinds of super small nuts and hex head screws.

I just bought two used 36244 locomotives (one with and one came without smoke generator).
Both in need of some repairs, previous owners screwed up, but they never told me.
One has probably fallen to the floor and needs a few new parts.
The other one has some serious trouble with the valve gear rods. Probably been driven with some part of the valve gear dislocated for a while.
All the tiny rod shoulder bolts (E129451) were almost worn through, one was broken. And they all have 2.0 mm heads.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by teerex