Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stevenh905  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2024 22:51:19(UTC)
stevenh905

Hello everyone!
I am currently going through my grandfather's collection and have come across this locomotive that I can't find much information about. I am trying to confirm the item number for this locomotive for my inventory list and for when it comes time to sell it. From the note he left, it seems like this locomotive came from a starter set # 5519. I can't find any info about set 5519 online. I can find some pictures of the locomotive # 5719, which appears to be almost identical, except this locomotive has Union Pacific badging. My grandfather did occasionally write down the incorrect model number so I thought I would double check with the experts here. I have added pictures of the locomotive and the note from when he purchased the engine.

I'm not an expert about trains, but I'm learning more and more about them while I go through my grandfathers collection. This locomotive appears to be a German diesel switcher, but has Union Pacific markings. From my googling, I couldn't find any information about Union Pacific using German engines. Is it common for Marklin to create these kind of fantasy trains?

IMG_2501.jpegIMG_2503.jpegIMG_2500.jpegIMG_2499.jpegIMG_2502.jpeg
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2024 23:43:13(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Well, the Union Pacific decals have been added at a later date and "5719" is the model number. However, the original printing had just the number "25" under the windows to indicate a "Werklok", an industrial switcher, not necessarily affiliated with any road (and, sorry, not likely part of the UPac stable, although...who knows?) I suppose it could have been some special set created by a dealer. Just my thoughts. And, in addition, without doors and railings...that does lower the value...Blushing
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline stevenh905  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2024 00:50:14(UTC)
stevenh905

Thanks Jimmy for the quick reply! I did just think of another question that you might know the answer to. While doing my research I see some (usually older) items labeled as Spur 1 and some (usually newer) items seem to be labeled as 1 gauge. Is there a difference? Was it just a Marklin marketing term change?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by stevenh905
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2024 00:58:09(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Steven,

You are quite welcome!

Well "Spur 1" is the German, and "1 Gauge" is the English translation. Cool It is possible that some items marked Spur 1 migrated to the US in some fashion. And just to confuse things, it is sometimes refers to as "Märklin I" (as capital "I"/Roman Numeral I)Blink

Whisper Mode On it is also possible that Märklin has broadened the "1 Gauge" designation to other markets Whisper Mode Off
Jimmy T
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2024 02:02:16(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Except for the Union Pacific decals, the locomotive appears to be identical with the locomotive from the starter set 5521. The set was presented in the 1970 catalogue, although no picture of the loco was shown. Indeed it was a greatly simplified version of the 5719/5720 locomotive without lights, doors or railings.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline stevenh905  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2024 17:47:29(UTC)
stevenh905

Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
Except for the Union Pacific decals, the locomotive appears to be identical with the locomotive from the starter set 5521. The set was presented in the 1970 catalogue, although no picture of the loco was shown. Indeed it was a greatly simplified version of the 5719/5720 locomotive without lights, doors or railings.

So do you think this version of the locomotive came from the dealer without the lights, doors, and railings? Or is it missing those pieces?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by stevenh905
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2024 22:20:55(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Back then, the 5521 was the least expensive entry level set to the newly re-established Spur 1 product line, so the locomotive was built like this by Märklin: no lights, railings or doors. I own a copy of the set. Perhaps the dealer added the Union Pacific decals to make the bare bone locomotive more attractive.

Here's a picture of my 5521 set and the locomotive.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2024 23:01:47(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Well, this is where I am off...it would appear to me that there were 2 versions of the set...1 with doors and 1 without...or are there 2 different sets?...puzzled I am

https://hobby-army.hyperinzerce....hod-45mm-nabidka-cela-cr

UserPostedImage

it could also be that 1 lok has been substituted for another...although the catalogues on

https://katalog.dermodellbahnblo...in-katalog/MA1970_EN.pdf

show the lok with doors in the set...just the pictures for the catalogue possibly?? I certainly do not doubt Martii, I am hopelessly undone Confused Confused Just trying to fill in the blanks...
Jimmy T
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#9 Posted : 08 March 2024 02:48:48(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Hi Jimmy, the picture you posted shows the 5520 set. The illustration in the 1970 catalog shows a picture of this set. The catalog text for 5520 states that the set includes a 5720 locomotive.

The 1970 catalog text for the 5521 set states that it includes a "diesel locomotive" without giving a model number, and indeed it had a simplified version of the 5720 locomotive. The catalog does not include pictures of this set.

The 5521 set is not that easy to find, surely it is rarer than the 5520 set.
- Martti M.
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2024 11:48:55(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
ThumpUp ThumpUp
Jimmy T