Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Edo73  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2023 11:44:43(UTC)
Edo73

Italy   
Good morning everyone. I apologize in advance for any errors or inaccuracies in presenting this post. I'm a new member and not yet familiar with the forum. I have a question that I can't find the answer to. I have two analogic 3030 locomotives, the first purchased by my father in 1962 and the second purchased some time ago on the internet. looking under the body I noticed that there is the writing "made in Germany" on the older one while on the one that should be more recent, it says "made in west germany". How is this possible? shouldn't it be the other way around? I'm asking you who are certainly more historically prepared. (inside the two locomotives look similar, but the older one has a lighting system with three bulbs in each direction. the one purchased on the internet has one bulb in the direction of travel.) thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some explanation on the matter. Edoardo
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Edo73
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2023 13:23:55(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome Eldo, Edward! Western Germany denotes made before the 1990 reunification of east and west. There is some crossover as some tooling and or companies were later in relabeling.
The Piko company in Sonneberg was in east Germany and bought by a doctor in 90 or 91. The town was where the "closing of the gap" was celebrated with connecting the DB and former DR railroads.
Marklin as a west German company used both labels. Some models like the 3000, 3030, and others with die cast bogies may have not been updated due to retooling costs. It was a waste of money to make a new die just for a different label. I have a Danish diesel my blue printed circuit version from 1990 that says west Germany, and with the Nuremberg toy fair award stamp from years earlier on the bogie.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Edo73  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2023 14:18:07(UTC)
Edo73

Italy   
Thank you for these informations. However a 1962 model 3030 should be marked "made in west germany" and not "made in Germany". this marked should be correct after the 1990! do you know if the 800 series has the same marked? this could be answer.
Moral, how can I understand, from this wording if a locomotive is actually from the 60s? if I sold the second locomotive as and original model from the 60s (when in reality it Is from the 70s or/and 80s) no one would understand the difference. Only openig them both, I see construction differences regarding the lighting system for example..
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2023 14:53:20(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
No, I have only seen one 800, at a shop/museum in Ohio. It was ridden with zinc pest and crumbling.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2023 16:36:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Edo73 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for these informations. However a 1962 model 3030 should be marked "made in west germany" and not "made in Germany". this marked should be correct after the 1990! do you know if the 800 series has the same marked? this could be answer.
Moral, how can I understand, from this wording if a locomotive is actually from the 60s? if I sold the second locomotive as and original model from the 60s (when in reality it Is from the 70s or/and 80s) no one would understand the difference. Only openig them both, I see construction differences regarding the lighting system for example..

You will need more than the wording on the loco to decide what year it was made. I suspect that anything made up to the building of the wall will say made in Germany, and anything after the wall was built will say Made in Western Germany. But the addition of 'Western' may have happened before then, but the year will vary by loco as noted above, as models are updated for other details.

The definitive definitions come from Kolls catalogues, which note the various differences between models and the years in which they were produced. Details include colour - and this can involve subtle shades of the same base colour, differences in pantographs on electric locos, road number of loco, different colour of badges, and so on. Get yourself a copy of Kolls, it need not be the most recent for the model you are looking at, and determine from that just which years your models were produced.

There is the possibility that they were both produced in the same year, although I would doubt that. There is also the possibility that someone has mixed and matched parts between locos to make a good one, so you may find that you cannot find an exact description, or end up being confused by the description and what you have in your hand.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Edo73  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2023 17:34:03(UTC)
Edo73

Italy   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

The definitive definitions come from Kolls catalogues, which note the various differences between models and the years in which they were produced. Details include colour - and this can involve subtle shades of the same base colour, differences in pantographs on electric locos, road number of loco, different colour of badges, and so on. Get yourself a copy of Kolls, it need not be the most recent for the model you are looking at, and determine from that just which years your models were produced.

This Is a good informazioni and I'll look for a Copy of Kolls
quote=kiwiAlan;66523
There is the possibility that they were both produced in the same year, although I would doubt that. There is also the possibility that someone has mixed and matched parts between locos to make a good one, so you may find that you cannot find an exact description, or end up being confused by the description and what you have in your hand.

Probably for the second loco bought on the internet.

Tks for your clarifications
Offline Henrik Schütz  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2023 09:18:01(UTC)
Henrik Schütz

Sweden   
Märklin wrote "Germany" for yers after the country was divided in 1945.

Then it was "West Germany" about 25 years until 1990.

And then back to "Germany"

In german, irs been "BRD" Bundesrepublik Deutschland since 1949.

The marking "Germany was made mandatory fir export in the Versaiilkes treaty after ww1, so people could avoid german products.

Henrik

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Henrik Schütz
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2023 12:11:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi everyone

Germany got offgicially separated in 1948 when the 3 occupied zones decided to create the DM (DeutschMark) while the USSR-occupied zone decided to go its way with the Reichsmark.
Germany got re-united following the fall of the iron curtain in 1989

And Märklin in all this?
When checking on some of my old Märklin models:
- a 3012 loco 1957 shows Made in "Western Germany"
- a 3003 loco 1959 shows "Made in Germany"
- a 3015 loco 1960 shows "Made in Germany" and twice "Germany" on sheet metal parts underneath.
- a 3001 (CEB800) loco 1959 shows "Made in Germany West"
- a 3038 loco 1979 shows "Made in Germany" on its 2 axle motor bogie
- a 3055-3 loco 1972 shows "Made in Western Germany" on its 3 axle motor bogie

- and so much more

So it is fair to say that there is no really consistent Märklin policy and it seems Märklin didn't update this marking on any given model over the years (once marked in molded parts, it stays that way.. More precisely, I think one cannot deduce a production year from these markings
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2023 12:57:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Can I just ask does it matter because of any differences in the models and the way they work.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 16 October 2023 13:25:12(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
No, nor does it seem to reflect any collectable values. Just a confusion on year of manufacture of some.
Offline Edo73  
#11 Posted : 16 October 2023 18:37:36(UTC)
Edo73

Italy   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone

Germany got offgicially separated in 1948 when the 3 occupied zones decided to create the DM (DeutschMark) while the USSR-occupied zone decided to go its way with the Reichsmark.
Germany got re-united following the fall of the iron curtain in 1989

And Märklin in all this?
When checking on some of my old Märklin models:
- a 3012 loco 1957 shows Made in "Western Germany"
- a 3003 loco 1959 shows "Made in Germany"
- a 3015 loco 1960 shows "Made in Germany" and twice "Germany" on sheet metal parts underneath.
- a 3001 (CEB800) loco 1959 shows "Made in Germany West"
- a 3038 loco 1979 shows "Made in Germany" on its 2 axle motor bogie
- a 3055-3 loco 1972 shows "Made in Western Germany" on its 3 axle motor bogie

- and so much more

So it is fair to say that there is no really consistent Märklin policy and it seems Märklin didn't update this marking on any given model over the years (once marked in molded parts, it stays that way.. More precisely, I think one cannot deduce a production year from these markings
Cheers
Jean

If you have several models in your collection with different markings despite the post or pre unification period. you are confirming what I thought: a constructive period with use or reuse of old markings. In practice you have demonstrated this by physically analyzing various locomotives. the solution in the end to understand the details of a 3030 model and trace the year or construction period was given by Kiwialan:
"The definitive definitions come from Kolls catalogues"! I don't see any other solution. I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who responded to my question and took the time for. I'll wait a little before marking the post as solved.