Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pBonavoglia  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2023 17:04:10(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   
I am rebuilding an old Marklin system born in 1957 with M tracks grown through the years and in 2010 enlarged with C tracks and turnouts, digital decoders and the mobile station . Turnout decoders got digital addresses setting 10 pins on the card and the two digitized turnouts worked fine. For lack of space the whole thing was later dismantled and stored into boxes. Now in a new home with space I'm rebuilding and enlarging the whole.
I also bought a new turnout with a digital decoder and here comes the bad surprise: the new decoder has a ten pin set like before, but the coding is changed, pin 10 is used to commute from Mmx to CC, the others like binary numbers, different from old coding (2010) . I'm going mad, trying to configure turnouts from the old mobile station, nothing to do, the turnout does not give any sign of lile!

The instruction leaflets do not say nothing about this change of protocol and this is very bad!

Does somebody know a simple way to fix this problem?

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 31 May 2023 17:24:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: pBonavoglia Go to Quoted Post
Does somebody know a simple way to fix this problem?
It's not a problem. The old turnout decoders come with old coding tables that let you set the address.
The new turnout decoders come with new coding tables that let you set the address.
Set addresses 1, 2, and 3 and you're done.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 31 May 2023 18:16:40(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The new decoders for turnouts are mfx and register themselves. I have several new ones including the three way decoder and all register without doing anything.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 31 May 2023 18:28:52(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
The new decoders for turnouts are mfx and register themselves. I have several new ones including the three way decoder and all register without doing anything.
Do they do that with MS2 also? Or just with CS2 and CS3?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 31 May 2023 20:50:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Good point Tom. No idea as I dont have a MS. May well be with a MS2 you have to set the address manually.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline pBonavoglia  
#6 Posted : 31 May 2023 21:14:28(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   
Indeed it is a problem : of course the first thing I did was to set the new turnout using the new coding table: pin 1 2 3 on, all others off, that means number 7, but using mobile station and device no 7 the turnout does nothing ... even changing pin 10. I am still in the fog ...
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 31 May 2023 22:55:33(UTC)
Goofy

Indeed it is a problem : of course the first thing I did was to set the new turnout using the new coding table: pin 1 2 3 on, all others off, that means number 7, but using mobile station and device no 7 the turnout does nothing ... even changing pin 10. I am still in the fog ...

What mobil station do you use?
MS1 or the new MS2?
Pin 10 are to set protocol for the turnout decoder, so if you use MS2 you must set protocol in the MS2 keyboard MM or DCC protocol.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 31 May 2023 22:59:03(UTC)
Goofy

Good point Tom. No idea as I dont have a MS. May well be with a MS2 you have to set the address manually.

MS2 cannot register mfx turnout or switch decoder.
You must use Pin codes on the m83/m84 if you use MS2 keyboard.

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline rhfil  
#9 Posted : 31 May 2023 23:25:56(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Make certain that you are looking at the pins correctly. The numbers are very small and I once was activating the wrong pins. Also make sure you have thrown the pins completely. Throw them all off or on. I have found that making sure every thing is working correctly by first installing the turnout on a stub avoids tearing it out of a layout. Lastly I would go so far as removing the turnout completely from the layout and attaching it to the MS2 with nothing else and seeing if it works that way. This eliminates all other possible interference.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline pBonavoglia  
#10 Posted : 31 May 2023 23:59:40(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

What mobil station do you use?
MS1 or the new MS2?
Pin 10 are to set protocol for the turnout decoder, so if you use MS2 you must set protocol in the MS2 keyboard MM or DCC protocol.

As i wrote it is a MS bought in 2011, no number, so I presume it is MS1. So maybe is that is the problem ? I see everybody here has MS2 ... at least.Sad

I did many trials, pin up and down , nothing to do. With the old coding I had no such problem

Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 01 June 2023 08:50:11(UTC)
H0

As i wrote it is a MS bought in 2011, no number, so I presume it is MS1.
MS1 cannot handle turnouts at all, so I presume it is MS2.
Four buttons left of the display, four buttons right of it, big red speed knob in the centre under the display, display is white on blue? That is MS2.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline ocram63_uk  
#12 Posted : 01 June 2023 09:59:54(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
a photo of the MS would clear all doubts 😊
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
H0
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 01 June 2023 10:13:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
And maybe a photo of the installed decoder.
Turnout decoders usually do not work if red and brown wires have been swapped. Red wire goes to "B" and brown wire goes to "0". Connect brown to "B" and most decoders will fail.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline pBonavoglia  
#14 Posted : 01 June 2023 19:17:48(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   
As i wrote it is a MS bought in 2011, no number, so I presume it is MS1.
MS1 cannot handle turnouts at all, so I presume it is MS2.
Four buttons left of the display, four buttons right of it, big red speed knob in the centre under the display, display is white on blue? That is MS2.

On the web I found the same identical booklet, labeled MS2, or instance here: https://issuu.com/modelt...lub/docs/60653manual-eng

So I 'm even more puzzled. Shouldn't an MS2 have number 2 on the cover?
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 01 June 2023 20:02:43(UTC)
H0

Shouldn't an MS2 have number 2 on the cover?
No. The info screen should show hardware version 2.0 or 2.1.
Mobile Station 1 shows "märklin systems" while Mobile Station 2 shows "märklin digital".

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline pBonavoglia  
#16 Posted : 01 June 2023 20:38:06(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   

Here are a few photos

Mobile Station
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 01 June 2023 20:51:38(UTC)
H0

Here are a few photos
I only get error 404.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline pBonavoglia  
#18 Posted : 01 June 2023 21:23:31(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   

For some reason this system does not show my photos. Too large?
Offline marklinist5999  
#19 Posted : 01 June 2023 21:26:12(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Doesn't load! Icon just spins
Offline pBonavoglia  
#20 Posted : 01 June 2023 21:35:51(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   
For some reason this system does not show my photos. Only link to photos, just click on them to see them in large.

Mobile Station

Instructions

Pins
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pBonavoglia
Offline marklinist5999  
#21 Posted : 01 June 2023 22:07:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Clearly, you have an MS2.
Offline pBonavoglia  
#22 Posted : 01 June 2023 22:29:14(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Clearly, you have an MS2.

Ok, thank'you, but what it means? Do I have to buy a CS3 to get the new decoders working?
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 01 June 2023 23:32:03(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Although you will get a lot of help on here I would suggest you buy the Marklin book on their digital system. It covers the MS and CS3 plus all the other digital items and explains how they work and how to connect them. It is a mine of information on Marklin digital.
Offline marklinist5999  
#24 Posted : 01 June 2023 23:57:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The MS2 can control turnout decoders. The issue you have is that yours likely isn't updated with the latest software version, and that can limit what it can do. You need a CS3 to update it, or find someone who has one.
However, it's worth a try to put yours into the DCC protocol, and try loading the turnout decoders manually. Not only using the digital book, but referring to Youtube tutorials by "Modeltrainfun", etc. I found him by Googleing "how to" ......... on a Marklin MS2, etc.
Offline Goofy  
#25 Posted : 02 June 2023 06:17:00(UTC)
Goofy

I must tell to you that never ever have power switch on if you shall switch pin codes in the m83/m84. Märklin recommended it. Read careful manual of the m83 and the MS2.
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 02 June 2023 06:40:47(UTC)
H0

The issue you have is that yours likely isn't updated with the latest software version, and that can limit what it can do.
I don't think that's an issue here if the old turnouts work.

You need a CS3 to update it, or find someone who has one.
That's not true.

@pBonavoglia: You do not show how the new decoder is connected to the track. It will not work if red and brown are swapped or yellow does not connect to "B" (centre rail).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline pBonavoglia  
#27 Posted : 02 June 2023 18:14:23(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   
The issue you have is that yours likely isn't updated with the latest software version, and that can limit what it can do.
I don't think that's an issue here if the old turnouts work.

That's not true.

@pBonavoglia: You do not show how the new decoder is connected to the track. It will not work if red and brown are swapped or yellow does not connect to "B" (centre rail).

Ooops the yellow cable! I thought it was there for the light, that was something new and strange. Why two cables, red and yellow, going from the same card to the same potential (B third rail)? It id difficult to guess why, but now it works! And that is what matters. Thank you very much!

Offline H0  
#28 Posted : 02 June 2023 18:47:29(UTC)
H0

Why two cables, red and yellow, going from the same card to the same potential (B third rail)?
Yellow is the power for the motor. If you have many turnouts, yellow can be connected to an external power supply to reduce the load on the digital track current.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Jay
Offline kiwiAlan  
#29 Posted : 03 June 2023 00:08:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

That's not true.

I believe he was talking of updating an ms2 Tom, and i would agree that currently access to a cs2 or cs3 is required to do so.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#30 Posted : 03 June 2023 14:36:57(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I knew it Alan!
Offline H0  
#31 Posted : 03 June 2023 14:37:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

That's not true.

I believe he was talking of updating an ms2 Tom, and i would agree that currently access to a cs2 or cs3 is required to do so.

The update can be transferred from MS2 to MS2, so neither access to CS2 or CS3 is required to do the update.
But it is definitely not true that a CS3 is needed for the update, right?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#32 Posted : 03 June 2023 14:55:59(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Ok, but the transfering MS2 must be updated by a CS2 or 3. He has neither, so he needs someone with a current version MS2 at least.
Offline pBonavoglia  
#33 Posted : 03 June 2023 23:09:10(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   
Why two cables, red and yellow, going from the same card to the same potential (B third rail)?
Yellow is the power for the motor. If you have many turnouts, yellow can be connected to an external power supply to reduce the load on the digital track current.

Okay, now having connected the yellow cable to B everything works fine, so I do not need to update to CS3 or MS3.

On the contrary it seems that one of my big problems in rebuilding this Marklin system, the tangle of cables needed to control all the switches, now three C-type and ten M-type, may be solved without throwing away all M-tracks and turnouts, and buying the C-equivalent.

Using 74491 Electric turnout mechanism for C-track and a 74462 Built-in digital decoder (C-track), the same used for the C-turnout, I was able to digitize an old M.turnout, see photos:

M-turnout digitized

M-turn is now working

I would like to know if someone did the same thing, and how.

At first I didn't want to use the soldering iron, for various reasons, but in the end I had to resign myself to it; this is the only way to get good quality contacts. Then I had to play with bits of cardboard and double-sided tape to best position the mechanism.

But maybe, opening a new topic is more appropriate,
Offline pBonavoglia  
#34 Posted : 03 June 2023 23:14:56(UTC)
pBonavoglia

Italy   
[
Offline marklinist5999  
#35 Posted : 04 June 2023 16:59:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Glad you sorted it out!
Offline H0  
#36 Posted : 04 June 2023 18:13:41(UTC)
H0

Ok, but the transfering MS2 must be updated by a CS2 or 3. He has neither, so he needs someone with a current version MS2 at least.
The issue was resolved without updating the MS2. There can be a long update chain of MS2s with CS2 or CS3 at the end. Knowing all update options (MS2, CS2, CS3) makes it more likely to happen when an update is needed.

But when two decoders work and the third one does not, then it is very likely that it can be resolved without update at all.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage