Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline revmox  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2023 07:20:37(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Here's a prototype road grade crossing for compact layouts or in older rural and industrial areas where the large Marklin item would be problematic or out of place. Also an issue if the way your scenery is set out requires the road to cross the rail lines on a curve - so versions for R1, R2 are also in the mill.

Held in place by C-track screws underneath the white guide posts for Volvo drivers. The bits between the rails are glued in place.

Sorry, the parts were all painted separately as they came off the printer - not in batch like they would be in a final product.

PXL_20230519_044214281.jpg

PXL_20230519_044242219.jpg

Having knocked this one up I can see a few improvements to be made - but it may be some time before I can back to this project.

Here's the zipped stl files. 3D design on TinkerCAD - user revmox.

Marklin GC Posts.zip (9kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
Straight Plate 6.zip (6kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
Marklin GC Ramp Flip.zip (16kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
Straight Track Panel.zip (1kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

Note to anyone printing the files - some parts are printed upside down to avoid having to use supports. Set top and bottom infill to 0 or 90 degrees to get a much better appearance than the default 45 degrees.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline mmervine  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2023 13:41:49(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Nice work! Anyone considering this may also want to think about using the part from Viessmann:

https://www.modellbahnsh...06/gb/modell_206003.html

Or this one:

https://www.modellbahnsh...5102/gb/modell_3268.html
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline revmox  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2023 21:27:23(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Thanks mmervine.

Yes, without special sections of track the height of the regular pukos is a problem for any home-grown crossing solution and those would help a lot.

My end targets are crossings for R1 and R2 curves (when I work out how to do a large radius arc in the TinkerCAD program) but I haven't seen any commercial products that suit.

Happy to hear if any forum members know of a compact solution for C-track curves ...

Mark

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
Offline revmox  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2023 22:03:00(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
New version with easier mounting and now includes single and dual straight track, single and dual R1 - R2, single R3.

For what I'd guess we'd call an unguarded crossing in Australia - going back 50 years to when there was a lot less regulation and apparently the general population was a bit brighter.

GC4 Pic 1.jpg
GC4 Pic 2.jpg
CG4 Pic 3.jpg

Clearance to mounting hole centres is 8mm with 22cm coach on R1.

Have made some dodgy items to go in the 4mm mounting holes but plenty of much better items available out there I'm sure.

GC4 Pic 4.jpg

Files below and 3D models public on TinkerCAD - see original post for notes.

GC4 TinkerCAD.jpg

Hopefully all 12 stl flies in this zipped folder ... ?

Marklin GC 4.zip (237kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

The low height of the pukos remains an issue for any homemade curved design. C track sections are pretty uniform but the range specified in the standard is quite broad. Happy to hear of solutions ...

BTW - Here's what the standard says -

For optical reasons, a row of point contacts is usually used as the middle conductor instead of a continuous rail.
Distance: The point contacts are generally placed at threshold spacing; twice the threshold distance (approx. 16 mm) must not be exceeded.
Altitude: Between 1.8 below SE and 0.6 above SE. (I assume that's the rail surface).
Lateral Deviation:
on normal track: Usually +/- 0,
in turnouts: Individual point contacts can be up to approx. 2.2 mm off center. The lateral deviation is due to the switch geometry. However, it must also not exceed ± 2.2mm.

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by revmox