Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 1borna  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2023 21:10:51(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
A week ago, around 1:30 a.m., a freight car loaded with a transformer station overturned at the railway station in Zidan Most, and a woman was seriously injured, according to the announcement from the Protection and Rescue Administration. Traffic is blocked, the firefighters also inspected the surface of the Sava river as far as Radeč as a precaution for possible spillage of oil derivatives.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
It's very lucky in that accident that the load overturned right where the extension is, otherwise it would all have ended up in the river
UserPostedImage
On Facebook Europe Trains Railways ECC posted:
"Slovenia, January 6, 2023;
As on a model railway: A loading bridge with a 290 t transformer for Finland from a thirty-two-axle low-floor platform, which can also be converted into a road chassis, overturned last night in the Brick Bridge (Steinbrück bogies ) and almost fell into the Sava. The train (from Ljubljana in the direction of Zagreb) probably drove over the deflection with the bridge thrown to the side (due to the platform) at a speed higher than walking speed. The bogies are undamaged on the track. The wagon bridge and the transformer will probably be cut on the spot."
In his comments on why the transformer and wagon bridge must be cut, Žarko Milovanović says: "probably because the embankment on which it is located cannot withstand the weight of the cranes and transformers."
Until today, everything is at rest because according to the information I have in Z. Most, preparations are being made for the lifting of the transformer. The memorial locomotive and memorial to NOB fighters is moving. A crane that can lift 1000t comes from Austria. On the plateau where the locomotive is, concreting of the base is or will be done. For this reason, the Z.Most station will be closed to all traffic through the passenger section towards Ljubljana for several days.
The monument locomotive was towed to a new location
The ground is being prepared for the installation of a large crane
UserPostedImage
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Mark5  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2023 05:58:00(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Impressive bit of destiny to fall on the support. I surely hope the woman has not suffered too much. If you manage to find photos of further developments moving the transformer and car please post them. Thanks again for all the informative posts!
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline 1borna  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2023 09:29:25(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
I didn't notice that google translate had translated it wrong for me because it was about a man who was in a small cabin that ended up at the edge of the river!
He received numerous bruises from the overturning of the cabin, but his life is not in danger.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Another picture of the first day after the accident, you can see the park where the locomotive that was moved is and the terrain in the park is being strengthened for the crane
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2023 11:57:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The thump of that falling over would have woken the town up ... Scared Scared Scared

They say it was doing 10kph, which is faster than a quick walk, but not running speed. I wonder how slow it needed to be to not fall over.

It is going to need to be some crane to lift that. I assume they will be bringing it right down onto the tracks as close to the transformer as possible. I wonder if the transformer is recoverable, or if it has suffered irreparable damage.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2023 12:38:41(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I was at a customer by chance (unrelated) and a 3 tonne CNC lathe was been craned in. They had put it on blocks for a temporary position and then the whole machine fell over sideways.

Fortunately no one way injured in any way. The noise when it hit the ground would wake up the dead. I think the whole machine would have been chucked out.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2023 15:08:44(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I can see how one could derail more so than ighter, shorter, tighter turning radii loads. Anyone who has a model knows so. I don't see how many have the room meeded for the outswing on curves.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline 1borna  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2023 20:55:01(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Today, Bojan Dremelj from Slovenia published pictures of the arrival of a strong team of cranes
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2023 21:59:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 1borna Go to Quoted Post
Today, Bojan Dremelj from Slovenia published pictures of the arrival of a strong team of cranes
UserPostedImage

Oh nice, now it is snowing ... out with the fur gloves and hats ... Crying

Hope someone is detailed to keep the kettle hot ... BigGrin
Offline 1borna  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2023 17:52:05(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
I received more earlier pictures from Mr. Bojan
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
The preparation of the ground for the installation of the cranes has begun
The locomotive monument has been moved to a temporary location
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline 1borna  
#10 Posted : 20 January 2023 20:50:18(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
UserPostedImage
It is crowded on small roads because there are many large and heavy vehicles
Numerous cranes are being prepared
UserPostedImage
Additional weights are placed
An example of placing weights
Adriaports from Italy published an article about this accident:
Slovenia, a 300-ton transformer derailed: one employee was seriously injured
Next week, the intervention to remove the special cargo that blocked the railway for several hours will begin

TREST – In Zidan Most, in central Slovenia, south of Laško and Celje, on January 7, a special wagon with a transformer weighing 300 tons overturned.
The operator who managed the maneuver was seriously injured.
The removal operations of the exceptional load produced by Kolektor ETRA, which was destined for Finland after crossing Austria, will begin next week.
The causes of the accident are still being determined, and the person in charge of driving the wagon, a Czech citizen, who participated in the overturning of the wagon, was hospitalized.
That part of the railway - recently modernized - is strategic because it forms the intersection of two Slovenian railway corridors. The first from Austria to Croatia, the second from the tracks: one towards Budapest, the other from Vienna and Graz via Maribor all the way to Ljubljana, from where you can reach the ports of Trieste (via Villa Opicina), Capodistria and Rijeka.
Offline Mark5  
#11 Posted : 20 January 2023 23:47:32(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I have been faithful showing my wife and girls the updates. Always interesting to see what they will humour me with. My wife actually shows interest and asks questions maybe since she knows it makes me happy. BigGrin

So we ended up watching a clip of the earliest footage taken of Ljubljana off of the wikipedia page from 1909. Quite another world. It's common commons media so I can post here, but it does not embed. From the Ljubljana wikipedia page. I find it hard to imagine how different the world was from that era.

https://upload.wikimedia...29_removed_watermark.ogv
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline 1borna  
#12 Posted : 21 January 2023 22:05:48(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
UserPostedImage
Removal of parts of the special wagon began yesterday
UserPostedImage
Trains continue to run through 2 free tracks
UserPostedImage
I found a longer article on 24ur.com about the works at the station:
Two weeks after the accident, the nearly 300-ton transformer is still lying upside down next to the railway station in Zidan Most, while workers are using two freight elevators to remove parts of the wagon on which it was loaded. A 1,000-ton crane will be delivered from Austria to lift the load - which, together with the frame, weighs as much as 380 tons. Director of SŽ-Infrastructure Matjaž Kranjc clarified the details.

In Zidan Most, they started removing the wreckage two weeks after the train accident, when a wagon with a 300-ton substation overturned. "Today, all parts of the wagons on which the cargo
was transported are being collected. We expect that during today and tomorrow, by Sunday at the latest, all parts will be removed, only the transformer will remain," said the director of SŽ. -Infrastructure Matjaž Kranjc.
In order to disrupt traffic as little as possible, the works take place in breaks between train arrivals, delays are minimal, he added.
UserPostedImage
The biggest job, the transformer weighing 290 tons, which together with the special construction weighs an additional 90 tons, is expected next weekend. Until then, it is necessary to carry out a series of preparatory works so that the lifting is safe and the load is not damaged, said Kranjc.
An Austrian company will take care of the lifting, and next week a 1000-ton crane will arrive in Zidana Most. "According to our information, it is about 25 tractors of extraordinary cargo," said Kranjc. Compilation should have taken two days.
UserPostedImage
But everything must be prepared earlier, he added. First remove the wagon parts, then remove the track on track 3 in the length of the transformer, prepare the plateau, then bring in and install the elevator. The transmission line will also have to be removed, which will otherwise be disconnected from the network from today until Sunday, when the wagon is lifted.

The transformer will be raised to the plateau, where the elevator will stand, and then they will have to repair the rails, along which the new specially adapted train will arrive. A load will be lifted on it, and according to information from Kranjec, it should not continue its journey, but will be returned to the factory.
UserPostedImage
Let's remember. The accident happened on the night of January 6-7. A substation weighing several hundred tons slipped off one of the wagons and tore off the cabin of the wagon that rumbled down the Sava embankment. A Czech citizen was seriously injured in the accident.
Railway traffic near the Brick Bridge should run without problems in the first week of February.

The damage to the fleet is estimated between 200 and 250 thousand euros, but the final bill will be much higher. "The biggest damage in this whole event is all the preparatory measures and measures for lifting the load, what will happen in the end, it is difficult to forecast at this moment," said Kranjec. He is convinced that the person responsible for the accident will have to pay for it, or that the insurance company will pay for it in the end.

The investigation is still ongoing. "We know that the train stopped eight meters before it overturned, that it moved stepwise and that the load was being pulled. It is a load whose volume exceeds the load profile of the track, so the wagon is adapted to allow the load to be moved to the left and right, it is pulled on columns of the rolling stock, platforms, signals, and during this movement, the load's balance is disturbed and it falls on the track," Kranjc described the events that led to the accident.

"Five transformers of this size were transported via the same route over Zidan Most. The team that carried out the transport already successfully transported four, the other team had one, and the sixth overturned," said Kranjc.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 22 January 2023 00:13:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Removal of parts of the special wagon began yesterday
UserPostedImage
Trains continue to run through 2 free tracks

Yikes, trying to operate a crane like that over the top of live catenary ... Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared

Offline 1borna  
#14 Posted : 22 January 2023 09:19:34(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
One day later, the contact network was disconnected so that diesel locomotives pulled electric locomotives through the station
We worked until late at night
Yesterday, the entire special wagon was dismantled and transported
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline DTaylor91  
#15 Posted : 22 January 2023 20:49:46(UTC)
DTaylor91

I wonder which model RR manufacturer will be the first to have a replica of this transformer and transformer transport car on their Summer 2023 or 2024 new items list?
Offline 1borna  
#16 Posted : 22 January 2023 21:42:11(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Roco had something similar many years ago
Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 23 January 2023 00:22:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
UserPostedImage

That blue frame looks like it is not symmetrical anymore, I guess this makes the wagon a right-off ... Crying
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline 1borna  
#18 Posted : 23 January 2023 14:05:09(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Late yesterday evening, I found Mr. Dremelj's post:
On a snowy morning, Celje firefighters helped the Felbermayr team with a boat to quickly raise the cabin from the Sava.
Then the wagon slowly disassembled and, except for the side where the transformer lies, loaded into trucks and sent home.
In the late afternoon, the track next to it was also removed lying transformer, so that it could be more easily received and
lifted and lifted by a large crane that has not yet arrived
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 11 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline 1borna  
#19 Posted : 24 January 2023 17:39:29(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
A Slovenian metal industry MI helped with the disassembly of the wagons, so they also published a lot of their photos
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Everything that was disassembled was taken away immediately because there is little space at the station
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline kiwiAlan  
#20 Posted : 24 January 2023 18:15:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
A Slovenian metal industry MI helped with the disassembly of the wagons, so they also published a lot of their photos

Thanks for keeping us up to date on the progress of the recovery. That MetalIndustry site has a heap of other interesting photos once you scroll down through all the ones of this incident.

I hadn't appreciated that the rail wagon is also a Felbermayr item, makes sense though as they are a heavy haulage company. It looks like they can probably reuse most of it once they get it back to base and check the various parts over.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline 1borna  
#21 Posted : 24 January 2023 20:21:38(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
There are a lot of pictures so I will continue
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Working train of Slovenian Railways (SŽ)
UserPostedImage
And their track crane had work to do
Offline 1borna  
#22 Posted : 27 January 2023 18:34:13(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
This part got stuck on the fence and had to be cut off
UserPostedImage
Night is falling
On the second day, the work continued with the dismantling of the other side
It is necessary to separate the wagon part from the transformer support
You can see the control point of the hydraulics, as it is at the other end of the wagon
UserPostedImage
The largest crane that will be brought disassembled will arrive only in about 10 days, and then it will take some time to assemble it.
Offline marklinist5999  
#23 Posted : 27 January 2023 22:30:14(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Twelve days in!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline 1borna  
#24 Posted : 28 January 2023 15:56:24(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
It moved to the other side
Another night has come
Offline 1borna  
#25 Posted : 30 January 2023 19:14:40(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
The next day, firefighters from nearby Celje came
They came to help remove the small cabin that had fallen into the river
Next in line is the upper part of the transformer support
Traffic through the station continues, but much reduced
UserPostedImage
Offline 1borna  
#26 Posted : 01 February 2023 16:08:15(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
I found 2 pictures taken shortly after the accident when the train was still complete
Today, the delivery of the largest crane started earlier than expected
The pictures are from Mr. Dremelj and the following was published by metal industry
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline kiwiAlan  
#27 Posted : 01 February 2023 16:34:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Good grief, what a logistics exercise to get that lot on site. Just as well they have some room there to set it up, and not trying to squeeze through between some buildings.
Offline rbw993  
#28 Posted : 01 February 2023 16:42:08(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
A lot of impressive engineering going into this project. We used to have riggers to lift heavy equipment when we were building a Polaroid factory. Compared to this their stuff was children's toys.

Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline marklinist5999  
#29 Posted : 01 February 2023 20:07:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Is it a full recovery now? I don't want to highjack this thread, nor bury it with a new topic. Another 9 car freight train derailment is in the recovery phase in Detroit. A CN freight consist of 9 empty cars derailed this morning. It is between Clark st., and West Grand blvd. This is in the center of where the Cadillac assembly plant was. There is a multi track Y junction. Amtrak has suspended it's Detroit-Chicago service until Staurday as a result.
Offline bph  
#30 Posted : 01 February 2023 21:12:13(UTC)
bph

Norway   

That is one massive crane they are bringing in for the final lift, is it the LR 11000?. How are they going to transport the transformer away? are they bringing in a new tragschnabelwagen?
(and as a side note Trix/Marklin has released several Tragschnabelwagen's eg: 23994/24019/24020/24338/48295(there might be more....?)

Thanks for posting, quite interestingCool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline 1borna  
#31 Posted : 01 February 2023 21:48:51(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
There are more pictures from today
Track width
UserPostedImage
Track height
When assembled will it look like this?
UserPostedImage
Offline bph  
#32 Posted : 02 February 2023 16:25:11(UTC)
bph

Norway   

When assembled will it look like this?
UserPostedImage

My personal guess is that they will probably mount the LR 11000 in a similar way, as they did when they performed this job: https://www.felbermayr.cc/en/press/debut-for-felbermayr-1000-tonne-crawler-crane
But the crane is highly flexible with many options.....https://www.liebherr.com/en/ind/products/mobile-and-crawler-cranes/crawler-cranes/lr-crawler-cranes/lr-11000.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline 1borna  
#33 Posted : 02 February 2023 17:32:43(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Thanks, here are more pictures from yesterday
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Mark5  
#34 Posted : 03 February 2023 01:08:36(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Question we have been asking ourselves as we follow the odyssey, will it be installed on another train car due to weight, or will it go on a super-rig truck of some sort?
Offline 1borna  
#35 Posted : 03 February 2023 08:55:08(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
It must go on a special wagon for that purpose, the roads in Zidan Most and the surrounding area are narrow and winding, so transportation by special road vehicle is not possible.
UserPostedImage
Yesterday's pictures of Mr. Dremelj
UserPostedImage
He wrote:
Today, the focus was on the removal of power lines across the Sava river and the continuation of the assembly of the large elevator. In the meantime, the trains ran mostly with different diesel traction
UserPostedImage
Benjamin Kampuš also responded with his pictures:
Offline 1borna  
#36 Posted : 04 February 2023 16:49:07(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Today they raised the transformer, so far only one picture has appeared from Fast Processing Bra-Mar d.o.o. They wrote:
Lifting the 300-ton transformer, with the power of the minds of our technologists and partners, with the hardworking hands of our craftsmen, success is guaranteed!!!
UserPostedImage
Some famous members of our club from Zagreb took pictures nearby, so I expect their pictures later?
UserPostedImage
Offline 1borna  
#37 Posted : 04 February 2023 18:52:26(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
I received a report from the Slovenian Press Agency
(STA) in which the infrastructure director of Slovenian Railways says:
Tomorrow they will clean up the area of the emergency event and install the rails. On February 18, they will load
the transformer onto the same wagon that brought it to Zidani Most. A day later, they will take the transformer to
the transformer warehouse in Črnuče, where they will inspect it and perform all the measurements, said Kranjc.
Kranjc also announced that by February 20 at the latest, track three, where the accident happened, will be
operating normally.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline 1borna  
#38 Posted : 05 February 2023 17:48:39(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Yesterday, the big transformer was finally erected, lifted and movedUserPostedImage
The railway station is full of railfans
UserPostedImage
Bojan Dremelj captured everything beautifully with a telephoto lens from the neighboring hill
One video is on link
Offline 1borna  
#39 Posted : 05 February 2023 17:56:02(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
The team from our club in Zagreb also published pictures (Dragutin Staničić).
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline 1borna  
#40 Posted : 05 February 2023 17:59:00(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
These are the angle brackets that were used for lifting or straightening
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline kiwiAlan  
#41 Posted : 05 February 2023 18:21:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
These are the angle brackets that were used for lifting or straightening

How did they get those under the transformer? Did the jack it up or lift it just enough with the crane?

Offline 1borna  
#42 Posted : 05 February 2023 18:31:03(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
I don't know exactly, maybe they just undermined it to push the corner or raised it a little along with the remaining side support?
That is not recorded.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline rbw993  
#43 Posted : 05 February 2023 19:05:01(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Thank you Borna, for providing a fascinating photo essay on this event. I really looked forward to the new daily pictures.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline 1borna  
#44 Posted : 05 February 2023 19:27:23(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
I searched among the earlier pictures I have (because I haven't posted them all) and found the following:
UserPostedImage
The transformer overturned on a thick layer of shoder, which was not difficult to dig through
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage[img]http://[/img]UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline 1borna  
#45 Posted : 05 February 2023 19:30:41(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#46 Posted : 06 February 2023 00:32:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I searched among the earlier pictures I have (because I haven't posted them all) and found the following:
The transformer overturned on a thick layer of shoder, which was not difficult to dig through

ah, thanks. That also explains why they removed the tracks there.

UserPostedImage

You know you are dealing with some weight when the lifting eye and the wire rope are as thick as a persons arm ... OhMyGod OhMyGod OhMyGod
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline 1borna  
#47 Posted : 15 February 2023 20:00:01(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
3 days ago, Robert Kaše from Slovenia climbed the steep hill above the station
UserPostedImage
This is where you go towards Ljubljana
UserPostedImage
and this way towards Celje
UserPostedImage
Turn right towards Zagreb
It's quiet in the station these days
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
The transformer is still attached to the crane (to prevent someone from taking it away?)
UserPostedImage
Offline Mark5  
#48 Posted : 16 February 2023 05:18:03(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I imagine its still attached since they are waiting for the right train car to "pop" it on to. It too bad they couldn't do it directly onto a new transformer carrying car. I suppose they have to check a few things and could not be sure when to bring it until they could verify that the transformer was ready to put in place on the new car. Anyone else care to speculate about the process?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline kiwiAlan  
#49 Posted : 16 February 2023 11:55:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

The transformer is still attached to the crane (to prevent someone from taking it away?)

Yep, you can bet that if it isn't held down in some way there will be some critter wanting to take it away for the copper ... OhMyGod OhMyGod OhMyGod

Offline 1borna  
#50 Posted : 17 February 2023 21:31:28(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Bojan Dremelj took a picture of the railway repair 2 weeks ago
UserPostedImage
The turnout was restored to a new base
UserPostedImage
He was in the control room
UserPostedImage
It's a good overview from here
UserPostedImage
The transmission line has been reconnected
UserPostedImage
About 10 days ago, a train with a transformer of "only" 160 tons passed by at night
UserPostedImage
Today, Jurij Kozar saw the wagon that came to pick up the transformer
Here comes the transformer