Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mman  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2023 17:05:25(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
D7198E06-39D7-471A-B701-4E4568525FD5.jpeg44184874-F13F-4801-8596-E283FF518975.jpeg53C41323-FEEE-42ED-8DB9-40AB70287D6D.jpegSince there is nothing new to buy that appeals to me in Z I have been looking at ebay.
Normally I only go for ‘buy it now’ but before I put the filter on I saw a 88321 at an opening bid which looked interesting with less than 1 hour to go.
This is a USA outline EMD F7 A-B-A with caboose in Pennsylvania livery. Apart from some cabooses I bought cheap for the metal wheels I have not previously bought American. I managed to get the set at the opening price and bid for the 87847 matching 6 coaches, again, getting them for the opening bid price.
They arrived yesterday and I tested them today on the Noch suitcase layout, the locos work, not very well, so a strip down, clean and oil will be necessary, all part of the enjoyment for me!
ChrisG
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2023 18:45:56(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope you are well.

Could you tell me, are all of those units powered? It would be incredible if they are. Pulling power times three. And this should have a five pole motor.

Well done. It proves, deals might be few are far between but if you watch closely, you can find what you didn’t expect. A bit of maintenance should always be expected for an item first released in 2003.

Looks like an impressive string. Like you, I don’t pay that much attention to US models but do you think this one is somewhat rare?

Thanks, take good care.

Dwight
Offline Mman  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2023 19:56:21(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
3CB7E2A4-5DB8-4A9F-90DD-7F30ABA59C8A.jpegD7AD1726-43C5-45C6-97DC-9B9B29777032.jpegBoth A units have 5 pole motors but B centre unit is unpowered, the three units are permanently coupled together. Annoyingly for me the two A units are wired in the same way multiple units such as ICEs are, that is the pickup is always from the leading unit with two wires going through the centre unit to power the rear unit. With my ICEs I disabled this to improve pickup efficiency by shorting out some diodes. I may well do this here.
Referring to recent posts on choice of Z controllers: At the moment this combination does trip out my Rokuhan RC-03 which is rated at 900mA, the headlights at each end are conventional filament lamps and both are on together regardless of direction of travel which certainly ups the current consumption. I don’t know if this is how it is supposed to be, there is no evidence of repairs or tampering.
I still have a couple of the LED conversion items so I will swap the incandescent lamps for those and reduce the power consumption.

Never having shown any interest in the North American stock before I have no idea how common or otherwise these two sets are.
The same vendor has other North American outline Märklin Z gauge stock but I think that I will stop here.

Meanwhile I am awaiting the V320 and the new Class 50 with cab tender and in x years time the model of the battery powered rail car.

ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline parakiet  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2023 09:45:25(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I am planning to add a powered 'b unit' to my Union Pacific A-B-A. Would be a nice project. As mentioned, I will bridge the diodes too. Perhaps add some weight to make it a true beast :]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline Mman  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2023 07:32:25(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
AA0E262A-A1E9-43A9-9E97-B754C8C93A48.jpegTook the body shells off the F7 chassis yesterday to change the incandescent lamps for leds, a great improvement as the number panels light up as well now and they are more or less directional.
I say more or less because the rear led shows very dim although this might be something to do with the RC-03 controller and it’s coach lighting facility.
Looking at the circuit plates for each A unit there are two visible diodes in each, one in the wire going to the other A and one across the circuit board, is this original? I thought it might be in the lighting circuit to only light up in the forward direction but if so then both must be on short, or is it for something else. I have not noticed similar on any other loco.
ChrisG
Offline hennabm  
#6 Posted : 30 January 2023 18:25:18(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post

They arrived yesterday and I tested them today on the Noch suitcase layout, the locos work, not very well, so a strip down, clean and oil will be necessary, all part of the enjoyment for me!
ChrisG

Hi
I’m the same, I love taking them apart and making them better. ThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 30 January 2023 19:12:02(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Interesting project. I also switched a lot of my older Marklin incandescent lighting to LED's from High Tech Modelbahnen www.z-hightech.de My results varied, like you mentioned, in some swaps the difference was great, much improved lighting, but in others it wasn't really worth the change. Achim is very nice to deal with and ships to the states. I particularly like his trailing cars with lighting, so a shout out there. Let us know if the switch to LED's completely resolves the Rokuhan tripping problem as I never thought of the difference lower consumption lighting would make.
Offline husafreak  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2023 23:57:30(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
And just when I think I have everything I will ever want Trainini comes to the "rescue". I go through the periodicals every month and eventually see something I want. This month it was Marklin's 82060 Petroleum Oil Tank Car set, looked pretty neat, unusual tank form, so a quick trip to eBay and my wish was granted for a very reasonable price too, but what's this? The seller has a few others? How about an 82503 6 car set for a steal! This set has it all! No way I'm not having that. There goes the petty cash!
Marklin 82060.jpeg
Marklin 82503.jpeg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline parakiet  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2023 10:11:09(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
And just when I think I have everything I will ever want Trainini comes to the "rescue". I go through the periodicals every month and eventually see something I want. This month it was Marklin's 82060 Petroleum Oil Tank Car set, looked pretty neat, unusual tank form, so a quick trip to eBay and my wish was granted for a very reasonable price too, but what's this? The seller has a few others? How about an 82503 6 car set for a steal! This set has it all! No way I'm not having that. There goes the petty cash!
Marklin 82060.jpeg
Marklin 82503.jpeg

Marklin's 82060 Petroleum Oil Tank Car set goes on my list too now! Great era III set!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet