Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Kiko  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2023 18:15:10(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Hello Everyone,

I'm very much interested in attending the IMA (Marklin Days) in Germany this coming September (15-17). It was cancelled last year, but the "Marklin 2023 New Items" brochure advertises this event on the back page. Does anyone know where I can get more info?

Can someone who's been to this event in the past provide a short description of what I can expect. Do I need to make a reservation for the Marklin Factory Tour?

I've already made a hotel reservation in Göppingen and plan to book my flights in the next couple of weeks. Any info / guidelines will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Andry
Ottawa, Canada

Edited by user 27 January 2023 22:56:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Kiko
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2023 20:07:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Views messages in topic : 8,082
Originally Posted by: Kiko Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm very much interested in attending the IMA (Marklin Days) in Germany this coming September (15-17). It was cancelled last year, but the "Marklin 2023 New Items" brochure advertises this event on the back page. Does anyone know where I can get more info?

Can someone who's been to this event in the past provide a short description of what I can expect. Do I need to make a reservation for the Marklin Factory Tour?

I've already made a hotel reservation in Göppingen and plan to book my flights in the next couple of weeks. Any info / guidelines will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Andry
Ottawa, Canada

OK, I hope you have made your reservation to be at least from the Thursday night, as the first thing to do is to do the factory tour first thing on the Friday if you wish to obtain the factory tour wagon, as these will be sold out by the end of the day.

The whole event covers five separate sites, with free buses that circulates around them all. There is the factory/museum, the stadium where the LGB layouts are, the Leonid Weiss depot, the station (which is always thronged with people) and the main exhibition halls where all the manufacturers have their stands, and where you go to get your Insider gifts if you are an Insider member. The main exhibition halls are the only area where you pay to enter, so with judicious choice of where you go you can minimise your entry fee. On second thoughts you may also need to show your armband pass at the LGB stadium. You can buy the armband pass (one for each day) at any of the venues.

Closer to the time Marklin will advise what the factory tour wagon will be, and what are the 'exhibition wagons'. The exhibition wagons are also purchased at the main exhibition hall. They will also publish a little brochure (A4 page that folds into three) showing the bus route.

In the past we have tried to get as many forum members as possible to meet on one of the station platforms for a group photo. If you search back through the forum you should find group photos from past visits.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Kiko  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2023 20:47:51(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Hello kiwiAlan,

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed reply. I'm a long time "lurker" on a couple of Marklin forums and have seen previous "Marklin Days" group photos. I've used those photos to "put a face to a name" -- especially the experts that help everyone with good answers to our modelling questions.

Some years ago I did visit the Marklin factory, but that was not part of "Marklin Days". It was a wonderful experience. On a side note -- I was in Goppingen this past September (2022), but unfortunately Marklin cancelled the event. However, I took the opportunity to visit the new Marklin Museum, which is really beautiful and so much better than the old one. They even have (finally) a georgeous massive model railroad with full room light effects and automated operations -- very impressive.

Now, for this year's event, I've already made hotel reservations (from Thursday to Sunday) but your info will help me prepare myself for this "onslaught" of activities. What do you mean by "minimizing your entry fee"? I thought that you said the only entry fee is for access to the main exhibition halls? What about rides on steam locos? Are there line-ups and tickets required? Any other good tips to make the most out of the three full days?

Once again, any and all info is welcome -- thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

Andry
Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Kiko
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2023 16:46:37(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I’ve been to three of these events and they are well worth it… be sure to wear comfortable shoes! I’m wondering: with all the interest in this year’s event, is Maerklin possibly planning another to commemorate their 165th anniversary next year?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2023 17:01:35(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I'd love to go someday. We'd plan our european trip to include it, along with Hamburg, etc.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2023 20:20:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Eurobahnfan Go to Quoted Post
I’ve been to three of these events and they are well worth it… be sure to wear comfortable shoes! I’m wondering: with all the interest in this year’s event, is Maerklin possibly planning another to commemorate their 165th anniversary next year?

There may be some low key celebrations, but I would think they would be more likely to wait for 170 years.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2023 21:17:24(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
There will more than likely be a special lok and some wagon sets I’m sure, but we’ll just have to wait and see. My old squadron mates and I are planning a reunion back in Berlin next October, so a quick trip out to Goeppingen before or after would be possible either way.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2023 22:30:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Looks like the information page is now online, with admission prices etc. However it doesn't (yet) contain a link to the information brochure they normally put up.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#9 Posted : 29 May 2023 00:09:43(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Arriving early on Friday morning, around 9:30, is a big plus. Less crowd and plenty of opportunity to take pictures. If you walk out of the train station and turn left and walk to the end, there is a waiting area where you can ride a steam engine in the cab for a short distance. You can experience the sound, smoke and the heat from the burner. The line gets long very quickly since they can only take five people at each ride. We did that in 2017, but we're late getting there in 2019 and the line of people was very long.

Not meant to hijack this post. I got a copy of Neuheiten 2023 and there is a picture of Marklin Day 2019 in the back. I saw myself in the yellow jacket and I think some of you are there. Can you see yourself in the picture?

T

Document_20230528_0002.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MKOpSeattle
Offline sidblack  
#10 Posted : 30 May 2023 03:05:24(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Hi Andry and T,
Yes I'm in the photo with the red and black backpack near the front of the 241. My partner is in the distinctive green raincoat next to me. This was in fact 2017 and Ian C organised a catchup on the Saturday on Platform 4 at 4pm.

Andry, there is a great post:
IMA & Marklin Tage 2017

which has contributions from many people who have been previously. I found it invaluable for getting the most out of my first and only trip to the Marklin Tage and IMA in 2017.
I'm sure you'll have a great time.
John
Offline IanC  
#11 Posted : 30 May 2023 09:13:47(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
G'day Sid, Greetings to you and your wife. We'll be keeping up the Platform 4 @ 4 tradition on the Saturday in Goppingen. See you again then - or in the queue for the factory tour on Friday morning! IanC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline swisstrains  
#12 Posted : 28 July 2023 07:21:56(UTC)
swisstrains

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Looks like the information page is now online, with admission prices etc. However it doesn't (yet) contain a link to the information brochure they normally put up.

Hi guys,

Märklin has finally web published the activities happening at the Göppingen Station during the Märklin Days; however, at this time, it is only in German. Below is the link through the Google Translator:

https://www-maerklin-de....hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Who's in for the Treff Saturday 4@4 (Platform 4 at 4pm) get together?

Tak

San Francisco Bay Area, USA
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by swisstrains
Offline IanC  
#13 Posted : 30 July 2023 12:21:52(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
I'll be rallying folk to meet up face to face and for a group photo 4@4 on the Saturday. If tradition follows, we'll probably all pile into the Gran Duca restaurant for a beer and something Italian later, around 7.30? It might be a good idea to get some indication of numbers and make a reservation.

IanC
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline scarfo  
#14 Posted : 30 July 2023 17:13:03(UTC)
scarfo

India   
Hi guys, i will be there for the group photo and the Gran Duca in the evening - hope to see you all there
Best
Charles
( on my way to Goa!)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by scarfo
Offline sidblack  
#15 Posted : 06 August 2023 03:55:18(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post
I'll be rallying folk to meet up face to face and for a group photo 4@4 on the Saturday. If tradition follows, we'll probably all pile into the Gran Duca restaurant for a beer and something Italian later, around 7.30? It might be a good idea to get some indication of numbers and make a reservation.

IanC

Hi Ian,
I wasn't sure whether I was coming this year but can now confirm that I am so looking forward to seeing you at 4@4 on the Saturday and probably beforehand. Looking forward to catching up with other Märklinistas over the weekend as well.
Cheers,
John (Sid)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline IanC  
#16 Posted : 06 August 2023 23:13:49(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi Sid,

Are you bringing Lisa with you too? Should I include you both in for the Gran Duca? It'll be good to meet up again on Saturday 4@4, in the queue for the factory tour on Friday morning and around the other venues.

Best wishes

IanC
Offline sidblack  
#17 Posted : 07 August 2023 09:17:46(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Unfortunately Lisa can't make this trip. I'm making only a short trip this time to share a voyage around the Harz mountains with a friend who is going to be in Germany at the end of September. Then I thought I could come over a couple of weeks earlier and catch the IMA in Göppingen. Lisa is staying home to keep the wheels of industry turning. But hopefully next year we'll do a trip to Austria and then maybe the UK as well...
Offline IanC  
#18 Posted : 07 August 2023 10:55:12(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi John,

Looking forward to meeting up again in Goppingen. Regards to Lisa. Enjoy the HSB.

IanC
Offline Keith Hayward  
#19 Posted : 07 August 2023 16:40:15(UTC)
Keith Hayward

United Kingdom   

IanC

I plan to be there for my first visit. I hope to visit the Marklinium on the 14th if it is open, before the IMA start. I am building my late 1950’s layout again after 26 years of it being boxed up. Hope see you on Saturday at 4@4.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Keith Hayward
Offline IanC  
#20 Posted : 07 August 2023 17:17:20(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Greetings to all those proposing to attend the IMA / Marklin Treff in Goppingen 15th-17th September 2023.
The two links below contain just about all the information you require.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ience/maerklin-days-2023
https://www.marklin-user...arklin-Tage-and-IMA-2017

Please join us on the Saturday for a face 2 face meet-up gathering and group photo opportunity on Platform 4@4 at Goppingen Station and also:

Please let me know if you intend to join us for a pint and a pizza or something else similar Italian at the Gran Duca restaurant again at 7.30 on Saturday so I can have a rough estimate of numbers for making an informed reservation.

Thanks

IanC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline sidblack  
#21 Posted : 08 August 2023 06:53:55(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Hi Ian,
I didn't actually state before that I'd be coming along to the Gran Duca on Saturday night but I will be coming for sure.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 12 August 2023 04:42:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
We decided not to come this time around but there is quite a bit of enthusiasm in our Club for making the trip in 2025.

We were also wondering about visiting Houten in late August for ModellSpoor!
Offline swisstrains  
#23 Posted : 28 August 2023 22:09:18(UTC)
swisstrains

Greetings to all those proposing to attend the IMA / Marklin Treff in Goppingen 15th-17th September 2023.

Please join us on the Saturday for a face 2 face meet-up gathering and group photo opportunity on Platform 4@4 at Goppingen Station and also:

Please let me know if you intend to join us for a pint and a pizza or something else similar Italian at the Gran Duca restaurant again at 7.30 on Saturday so I can have a rough estimate of numbers for making an informed reservation.

Thanks

IanC

I just found the PDF of Marklin Days 2023 brochure in German on the German language section of the Maerklin(dot)de website:

https://www.maerklin.de/...023_online_28-8-2023.pdf

The brochure has images of the event wagons and their prices, as well as the shuttle map and the floor plans of the venues.

Looking forward to seeing everyone attending the 4@4.

Regarding the Gran Duca dinner, thank you for the invite, but unfortunately I cannot make it this time. I recall having a nice dinner with everyone there in 2017.

Tak

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by swisstrains
Offline garben  
#24 Posted : 06 September 2023 18:58:58(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: Kiko Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone,

Thank you.

Andry
Ottawa, Canada

Hello Andry,

Just saw your post and recognized your name. You actually helped me bunch with learning and using Train Controller earlier this year. I'm making some great progress and learning something new all the time.

Anyway, I'll be attending the IMA/Marklin Days event next week. First time for both. Looks like there is a gathering on Saturday at the station at 4 pm. Maybe I'll see you there. Have fun!

P.S. Any chance they will have Beaver Tails there...lol.

Offline Kiko  
#25 Posted : 06 September 2023 21:26:24(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: garben Go to Quoted Post

Hello Andry,

Anyway, I'll be attending the IMA/Marklin Days event next week. First time for both. Looks like there is a gathering on Saturday at the station at 4 pm. Maybe I'll see you there. Have fun!

P.S. Any chance they will have Beaver Tails there...lol

Hi!

I will probably miss the 4@4 but will try to make the dinner date at the Gran Duca. Not sure at what time people will start gathering for supper. I'll keep an eye open for more info. It will be fun to meet everyone.

Till next week!
Andry
Offline IanC  
#26 Posted : 06 September 2023 22:18:24(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi Kiko et al,

Saturday 4@4 followed by Gran Duca around 7.30.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon

IanC

Just to repeat the previous posting:

Thanks

IanC

Offline Kiko  
#27 Posted : 06 September 2023 22:51:59(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Hello,

Please count me in (plus my wife) for dinner at the Gran Duca @19:30.

See you all there next week.
Andry
Andry
Offline auntmartha  
#28 Posted : 08 September 2023 07:47:51(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
Finally got flight ticket booked. See you at platform 4 at 4 on saturday. Please, if still space at Gran Duca - also Saturday at about 19:30. Is there any means of keeping in touch during the treff ? - Whatsapp - Signal - Facetime ?
Greetings from aunt marthas nephew
Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Bien cordialement
Mr. Christian Vinaa
http://www.vinaa.dk/trains
...... Meanwhile, aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the woods,
is lying in a ditch at the edge of town .........................
Offline auntmartha  
#29 Posted : 08 September 2023 07:57:55(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
Just made this condensed timetable of speciels events during the treff - just FYI. Overview.pdf (1,294kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
See ya'
/ Da nephew
Mr. Christian Vinaa
Offline Kiko  
#30 Posted : 14 September 2023 18:52:40(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Saturday 4@4 followed by Gran Duca around 7.30.

Hello all,

Is the Gran Duca supper Saturday at 19:30 still a go? Do we need to make reservations individually?

Thanks
Andry
Andry
Offline sidblack  
#31 Posted : 14 September 2023 20:23:53(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Hi Andry, I’m sure Ian C has noted your post and has booked you in. I’ve just flown in from Australia and looking forward to seeing the IMA tomorrow. And see you on Saturday!
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline cookee_nz  
#32 Posted : 15 September 2023 10:35:22(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
The MMRC (Wellington, NZ) had a moderate contingent attend the 2019 event, it was my first Marklin-Days event although I had been to the Museum previously in 2007.

I have to be honest, I was overwhelmed at first. There is just so much to see, even 3 days may not be enough for some if you tend to immerse in the experience or spend a lot of time absorbing the many displays.

It's true that there is something for everyone, but equally true that not everything is for everyone. It really helps if you have a clear idea in your mind of anything you specifically want to see and be sure to do those as early as you can.

The Factory tour 100%, top of the list for me. Then I was mainly interested in Marklin H0 displays, as well as some of the outdoor stuff, for example, a ride in the old red Railbus was awesome.

Personally I quite liked a lot of the displayed around vintage items, restoration etc. Marklin also had a small stand where they were demonstrating the possibilities of producing small-run parts by 3D printing and I'd love to see how this has developed in the years since.

There will be some stands that will just capture your imagination that you may want to return to more than once but also dont underestimate the enjoyment of meeting others from around the world. If you can, I'd recommend a large name tag, makes it easy for others to approach you and if you have some obvious identifier such as your country flag etc even more so.

Very envious of you, we're hoping for maybe 2025 but that's a way off yet.

Enjoy

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 18 September 2023 21:57:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I'm now on the 'return to UK' part of the trip (spent today recuperating from being on my feet for three days with minimal sitting down during the day) and will upload some photos when I get back home - including a couple I took especially for cookee .. BigGrin BigGrin

thanks 11 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#34 Posted : 19 September 2023 21:52:05(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
My first IMA/Marklin Treff and it was pretty darn splendid, heh!

Just as good, was meeting so many of you guys in person.

Will post some pictures later when I start breathing again lol

Darnell
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Cuthbert 80
Offline Keith Hayward  
#35 Posted : 19 September 2023 22:08:57(UTC)
Keith Hayward

United Kingdom   
Glad you arrived back in the U.K. safely. Yes the IMA was great. So good to meet the team in person. See you on Wednesday in our zoom session.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Keith Hayward
Offline IanC  
#36 Posted : 20 September 2023 14:42:09(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Arrived back home at 04.00 so missed today's Zoom session. 23 hour drive but mission successfully accomplished. Unloading and recovery today. Mike - got you a railbus on the way! Glen - I have in my possession a mysterious large box. Great to meet so many of us in person. at the various dinners and the 4@4 photo opp. gathering. Great sense of friendship, group identity and community building up here amongst the English speaking community (mainly Brits).

Formal announcement of a slightly more modest UK Insider Stammtisch here in the UK 6-8th September 2024 @ The Sun Felmersham MK43 7EU. www.thesunfelmersham.com All welcome.

IanC
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline sidblack  
#37 Posted : 21 September 2023 08:48:26(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Well done Ian for organising the catch-up in Platform 4. It was great to see so many Marklinistas from around the world. I enjoyed the camaraderie at the pub afterwards. My travels have continued and I’m off to the DB museum in Nürnberg this morning.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline IanC  
#38 Posted : 21 September 2023 11:46:50(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
For those of you who haven't already seen it:

?si=0FuJF5h-oKvOJRyh

at 19 minutes

IanC

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline GlennM  
#39 Posted : 21 September 2023 12:00:42(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Arrived back home at 04.00 so missed today's Zoom session. 23 hour drive but mission successfully accomplished. Unloading and recovery today. Mike - got you a railbus on the way! Glen - I have in my possession a mysterious large box. Great to meet so many of us in person. at the various dinners and the 4@4 photo opp. gathering. Great sense of friendship, group identity and community building up here amongst the English speaking community (mainly Brits).

Formal announcement of a slightly more modest UK Insider Stammtisch here in the UK 6-8th September 2024 @ The Sun Felmersham MK43 7EU. www.thesunfelmersham.com All welcome.

IanC

Ian,

Thank you very much ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#40 Posted : 22 September 2023 11:19:29(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Here are some pictures I took

Nice event, I probably wait until 2029 for the next visit...
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jonas_sthlm
Offline auntmartha  
#41 Posted : 22 September 2023 15:08:29(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: sidblack Go to Quoted Post
Well done Ian for organising the catch-up in Platform 4. It was great to see so many Marklinistas from around the world. I enjoyed the camaraderie at the pub afterwards. My travels have continued and I’m off to the DB museum in Nürnberg this morning.

Great meeting you all

We should do it more often
;-)
Mr. Christian Vinaa
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by auntmartha
Offline IanC  
#42 Posted : 22 September 2023 20:20:58(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
There's always the Marklin UK Stammtisch Christian, 6-8th September 2024 @ The Sun Inn Felmersham Bedford www.thesunfelmersham.com All welcome
Offline cookee_nz  
#43 Posted : 23 September 2023 00:04:45(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I'm now on the 'return to UK' part of the trip (spent today recuperating from being on my feet for three days with minimal sitting down during the day) and will upload some photos when I get back home - including a couple I took especially for cookee .. BigGrin BigGrin

Still waiting with baited breath......................... BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#44 Posted : 23 September 2023 02:01:44(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Curious, were they offering again this year the opportunity to buy a 'Vanity" wagon, ie your digital photo printed on it.

I got mine done in 2019 and wondered who else did (then or this year) and cares to share? Don't be shy..... I'll start BigGrin

4415-669.JPG
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#45 Posted : 23 September 2023 18:00:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Curious, were they offering again this year the opportunity to buy a 'Vanity" wagon, ie your digital photo printed on it.

I got mine done in 2019 and wondered who else did (then or this year) and cares to share? Don't be shy..... I'll start BigGrin

4415-669.JPG

I didn't get one, but did talk to the girls in the factory who were printing the reverse side with a picture of the factory. It takes 5 minutes to do that side, and they were putting only one wagon body in the printer at a time, despite the width of the printer bed.

The wagon as offered this year ...
IMG_6805.JPG

and the printer doing the obverse side ...
IMG_6806.JPG

They have set up a 'green screen' area in the museum shop for the purpose of taking the photo to print on the wagon - I had the impression it is a semi-permanent setup so not just for special occasions such as the Treff.

I was more intrigued with the possibility of having a 3D image taken and then getting a 3D printed figure of oneself up at the Staufer Park. This was being done by another company, and I think they just took the pictures, then printed the figure off site and mailed it to you. They would also supply a STP file (at extra cost) so you then print yourself at home. I'll think about doing that another year maybe.

The prices for getting your 3D scan done. I'm not sure if the cost of the figure includes the cost of the scan, or if the two have to added together - apologies for the photo quality ...
20230917_144230.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#46 Posted : 23 September 2023 19:05:20(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Oh, alright then, you don't need to do an Asterix (story further down) ...
IMG_6934.JPG
IMG_6936.JPG
IMG_6935.JPG

This is an original demonstration of Marklins 00 scale items as shown at the 1936 Nurnberg Toy Fair, as I understood the item, as described by the gentleman in the first picture. The wiring is all original, but he had had to clean some green verdigis from the wiring when he received it to get it working. The two trains with coaches were going at great speed, but the CM800 on the top track was feeling very tired, and he didn't know why.

The bulbs around it are sections of 8 bulbs is series, which I think would make them 2.5V bulbs. he had them turned off most of the time unless actively demonstrating the feature.

The transformers and rheostats all look to be authentic originals as well.

Apparently after the announcing the 00 range in 1935, they didn't have anything in the way of support items such as bridges, signals and stations, so they built these to demonstrate what they did have. It would have been a '7 day wonder' at the fair back then. I presume they already had quite a range of items in Marklin Metal to be able to build such structures - I don't know when Marklin Metal was first introduced.

If you had managed to come you would have had quite a conversation with the gentleman who spoke quite good English. Jealous yet? Laugh Laugh Laugh
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline cookee_nz  
#47 Posted : 24 September 2023 01:57:37(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Oh, alright then, you don't need to do an Asterix (story further down) ...

This is an original demonstration of Marklins 00 scale items as shown at the 1936 Nurnberg Toy Fair, as I understood the item, as described by the gentleman in the first picture. The wiring is all original, but he had had to clean some green verdigis from the wiring when he received it to get it working. The two trains with coaches were going at great speed, but the CM800 on the top track was feeling very tired, and he didn't know why.

The bulbs around it are sections of 8 bulbs is series, which I think would make them 2.5V bulbs. he had them turned off most of the time unless actively demonstrating the feature.

The transformers and rheostats all look to be authentic originals as well.

Apparently after the announcing the 00 range in 1935, they didn't have anything in the way of support items such as bridges, signals and stations, so they built these to demonstrate what they did have. It would have been a '7 day wonder' at the fair back then. I presume they already had quite a range of items in Marklin Metal to be able to build such structures - I don't know when Marklin Metal was first introduced.

If you had managed to come you would have had quite a conversation with the gentleman who spoke quite good English. Jealous yet? Laugh Laugh Laugh

Hi Alan, thanks for the photos. Actually the gentleman is Norwin Rietsche from Switzerland, he and I have had many a conversation. He was at the same stand in 2019 when I quite by accident took a photo with him in, but I had not 'met' him at that stage. I made contact some time later on a different matter, swapped stories and the rest was history. I've got a video of that "Weltkugel" in operation taken by someone else and just waiting permission to share it and possibly put on Youtube.

I only wish I had spoken to him in 2019, he's a lovely and very friendly guy, and could have also assisted in translation with the only person I did try to speak with, Bodo Schenck, also a well-connected legend in Märklin circles.

Had you dropped my name in the conversation you'd probably have been talking another quarter-hour Laugh .

Norwin is doing well noting he's well into his 80's and has some other magnificent Shop-Window models, but as is typical for that era, they are simply enormous, just the world-globe cannot be appreciated in size unless you are next to it.

Really appreciate the photos 100%

1936-M577-p03.jpg

DESCRIPTION.... (image from the 1936 "Märklin Modelle" dealer catalogue M 577)

M 857 Weltkugel 300.—
with 48 colored lights, without trains. Height 112 cm, diameter 84 cm.

A very practical and effective model for demonstrating our miniature trains. In a small space 3 different types of tracks can be shown at the same time. The model is supplied with the rails fitted, while the trains are only supplied on request at a fixed cost. (Price of the shown tracks add RM. 48.50 gross).
Connection sets: 1 transformer X is required for each train and 1 AG for the lighting.

M 855W air swing with changing light 350.—
with electric motor 1301 for 20 volts and 88 colored light bulbs 3 1/2 volts, without dolls. 80 X 30 cm, height 112 cm. (Required connection set BG).

Front cover...... note that some of the other display models in this (and other catalogues) also show the Nazi Swastika (HK), Märklin were not alone in doing this but that's a topic for another discussion.

1936-M577-p01.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Keith Hayward  
#48 Posted : 24 September 2023 09:33:14(UTC)
Keith Hayward

United Kingdom   
I spoke the gentleman and he told me he had burnt out one of the engines as he said he applied to much voltage for a such a long running time. So someone will have a repair job to do. He was a very interesting person and so was the whole stand. For 87 year old equipment it is not too bad.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Keith Hayward
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#49 Posted : 26 September 2023 21:25:08(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Some snaps from my iPhone...more to come later from my main camera:

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

thanks 17 users liked this useful post by Cuthbert 80
Offline IanC  
#50 Posted : 26 September 2023 22:29:45(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Nice pics Darnell, really captures the essence of the Marklin days. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by IanC