Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dreadnought  
#51 Posted : 01 October 2023 21:35:00(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Home after our post Treff wanderings. Having given my impressions of each Treff since my first in 2013, I thought I should add my 2023 impressions.

I think everyone was delighted to finally see the event come back to life. We delighted in renewing old contacts and meeting new Marklin fans. (Hello Darnell)

I was told that there was great uncertainty about whether to hold the event, and as a result it was later than usual before invitations to exhibitors and participants went out. As there were fewer exhibitors at Stauffer Park, and fewer locomotives at the station this may well be true.. The crowds were lighter notably on the Sunday at Stauffer Park. The heat may have been a factor. Apparently there was also a "steam event" in Ulm. This might explain why there were no 44 class locomotives, and only one 01 class this year. Overall it was a smaller show than previous years.

I was delighted to finally see a 38 class in the flesh. While I have the model, and have long thought it beautiful, to see the real thing was a delight. It embodies the concept of the compact, reliable, utility locomotive. The Bavarian S 3/6 was present, as it always has been. To me it is the most beautiful of the locomotives. It embodies sped and grace just sitting at the platform. It is industrial art in its highest form.

Herself and I took the 75 class ride with the Thunder Box cars. It was fun. It was also a reminder of the inconveniences of seam power. Both of us had cinders in our hair. I got a souvenir one in my eye. A beer was the cure, followed by a shower back at the hotel. We also did the Railbus to Leonard Weiss.

Stauffer park had fewer exhibitors. I did not see the technical school with its layout that is used for computer control classes which is usually there. There were fewer stalls, and as a result we spent less than in prior years.The private vendors of loads for freight cars were absent, and many other similar private vendors. I was interested in a system that would let you use cloud based computer systems to control trains. I gather it does not need any controller. Time and language kept me from really understanding it. Perhaps others can add information. It seemed an interesting concept.

Having seen Munich station on our way to Goppingen, Herself wanted pigeons for the layout. We did find some, but the whole flock could hide under a fingernail . They will look as if I had not dusted the layout for a year. The Marklin stand had a place to build a locomotive. That is always fun, but I was not tempted by any of the offerings. We did buy all the souvenir and collector cars in both Z and HO. We had no trouble finding them.

Highlights: Finally getting to share the Treff with Herself. She has seen my models for years, but never the real thing. on seeing the 38 class as we came into the station she exclaimed, "My God, they are real". The second, hearing the 75 class pull out of the station, she exclaimed :" My God. They do go 'Choo Choo Choo'. It was wonderful to meet Stacey Cousins from Marklin U.S.A. She is long familiar from e mails, but never met in person before.

Above all it was a pleasure to see so many old friends, and to make new ones.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline kiwiAlan  
#52 Posted : 01 October 2023 22:11:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
Home after our post Treff wanderings. Having given my impressions of each Treff since my first in 2013, I thought I should add my 2023 impressions.
Apparently there was also a "steam event" in Ulm. This might explain why there were no 44 class locomotives, and only one 01 class this year. Overall it was a smaller show than previous years.

I was delighted to finally see a 38 class in the flesh. While I have the model, and have long thought it beautiful, to see the real thing was a delight. It embodies the concept of the compact, reliable, utility locomotive. The Bavarian S 3/6 was present, as it always has been. To me it is the most beautiful of the locomotives. It embodies sped and grace just sitting at the platform. It is industrial art in its highest form.
Highlights: Finally getting to share the Treff with Herself. She has seen my models for years, but never the real thing. on seeing the 38 class as we came into the station she exclaimed, "My God, they are real". The second, hearing the 75 class pull out of the station, she exclaimed :" My God. They do go 'Choo Choo Choo'. It was wonderful to meet Stacey Cousins from Marklin U.S.A. She is long familiar from e mails, but never met in person before.

Hi Dreadnought, it was great to meet up with you again, to meet your wife, and have some interesting discussions with you both. I remember quite vividly seeing carious prototypes of the models I was familiar with for the first time as we travelled through Europe while on our way from New Zealand to the UK in 1997.

I am always interested in going on the factory tour, and collected some of the giveaways that are available there, as well as taking pictures of the manufacturing processes.

Some of the freebies I picked up ...

IMG_6961.JPG
The typical selection of shopping trolley tokens, as well as a couple that had printing on them. They were also producing the tumblers with a plastic that looks like it will glow under UV light (but I haven't tried that yet). Doing the tumblers seemed to be also a scheme to advertise the manufacturer of the plastic material.

The other bits I'll explain elsewhere.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#53 Posted : 02 October 2023 22:01:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Cuthbert 80 Go to Quoted Post
Some snaps from my iPhone...more to come later from my main camera:

Many thanks for the photos, brings back memories from 2019 - good to see the BR50 in Marklin Metal is still there!

Is it OK if I reproduce some of your photos in our Club magazine, 'The 3rd Railer'?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#54 Posted : 03 October 2023 21:56:52(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post

I think everyone was delighted to finally see the event come back to life. We delighted in renewing old contacts and meeting new Marklin fans. (Hello Darnell)

I was told that there was great uncertainty about whether to hold the event, and as a result it was later than usual before invitations to exhibitors and participants went out. As there were fewer exhibitors at Stauffer Park, and fewer locomotives at the station this may well be true.. The crowds were lighter notably on the Sunday at Stauffer Park. The heat may have been a factor. Apparently there was also a "steam event" in Ulm. This might explain why there were no 44 class locomotives, and only one 01 class this year. Overall it was a smaller show than previous years.

Herself and I took the 75 class ride with the Thunder Box cars. It was fun. It was also a reminder of the inconveniences of seam power. Both of us had cinders in our hair. I got a souvenir one in my eye. A beer was the cure, followed by a shower back at the hotel. We also did the Railbus to Leonard Weiss.

Stauffer park had fewer exhibitors. I did not see the technical school with its layout that is used for computer control classes which is usually there. There were fewer stalls, and as a result we spent less than in prior years.The private vendors of loads for freight cars were absent, and many other similar private vendors. I was interested in a system that would let you use cloud based computer systems to control trains. I gather it does not need any controller. Time and language kept me from really understanding it. Perhaps others can add information. It seemed an interesting concept.

Having seen Munich station on our way to Goppingen, Herself wanted pigeons for the layout. We did find some, but the whole flock could hide under a fingernail . They will look as if I had not dusted the layout for a year. The Marklin stand had a place to build a locomotive. That is always fun, but I was not tempted by any of the offerings. We did buy all the souvenir and collector cars in both Z and HO. We had no trouble finding them.

Hey Dreadnought, was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. Haha...love the impressions from you and 'Herself'!Laugh

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Cuthbert 80 Go to Quoted Post
Some snaps from my iPhone...more to come later from my main camera:

Many thanks for the photos, brings back memories from 2019 - good to see the BR50 in Marklin Metal is still there!

Is it OK if I reproduce some of your photos in our Club magazine, 'The 3rd Railer'?

You're most welcome! Sure, please feel free to use those images mate. Cheers! ThumpUp

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Cuthbert 80
Offline Cuthbert 80  
#55 Posted : 16 October 2023 23:02:02(UTC)
Cuthbert 80

United Kingdom   
Here's more pics mainly of the 1:1 real things at Göppingen station and a few other bits and bobs in other places:

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Cuthbert 80
Offline sidblack  
#56 Posted : 16 October 2023 23:49:37(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Great photos and great memories Thanks Darnell. I particularly like the photos of the S 3/6 as that's a favourite of mine. I was disappointed on the Sunday that they had swapped it for the Br01 for the climb up the Geislinger Steige but when I saw the BR01 in action I was happy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline Ausipeet  
#57 Posted : 17 October 2023 03:59:10(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
I have many fond memories of my visit to the 2017 Marklin weekend it is a shame that 2021 was cancelled i nearly ahd enough saved up for an other visit to Europe which would have coincided with the Marklin weekend, Perhaps i will make it for the 2025 event.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ausipeet
Offline Dreadnought  
#58 Posted : 17 October 2023 04:42:18(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Wonderful pictures. Thank you Darnell
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline sidblack  
#59 Posted : 27 January 2024 01:59:22(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Hi fellow travellers from the last IMA, especially those that I travelled with up the Geislinger Steige on the Sunday, behind the BR01 066
Here is a Youtube clip of that trip (filmed a few years earlier) but showing what it's like to be in the cab of BR01 202( yes a different BR01 to the one we had on the day).
It's certainly a different experience from the one we had from sitting in our compartment admiring the view - and the sound!
Geisling Steige 2016 in the cab of BR01 202
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline kimballthurlow  
#60 Posted : 29 January 2024 00:05:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Sid,
Thanks for the video link. Pretty special.
I often have to remind myself that a steam engine (unlike the models) was a dirty, hot and confined space to work for 8 hours plus or minus every day.
And it could be a rough ride for which reason it was called the Iron Horse.
The springing had to cope with a 80 tons more or less.
I salute enginemen.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline sidblack  
#61 Posted : 29 January 2024 00:27:21(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Yes Kimball, hats off to those in the cab making it all happen. I imagine one shift in there would do me for life - let alone making a living from it in all kinds of weathers.