Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Norton1972  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2023 00:00:43(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
I'm using a 60653 controller and the older 5204 switches. What does the yellow wire hook to? I had a large layout I was working on but it got to big. I tore it apart and can't for the life of me remember where the yellow wire connects to.

Thanks all!
Steve
Offline ccranium  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2023 05:00:01(UTC)
ccranium

yellow connects to a constant 16VAC source and powers the light bulb as well as the solenoid. it connects to the neutral (brown connection on the power source) through the outer rails and the trackbed which should get connected to that brown neutral connection at some point. the two blue wires (one with a green plug and one with a red) connect to the device controlling the points; then that device completes the circuit for a short pulse to either the red or green plug, the solenoid is energized and moves the points and turns the indicator with the bulb inside.
Offline Norton1972  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2023 19:30:38(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Thanks!! Have a great day!!

Steve
Offline Norton1972  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2023 20:50:09(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Well I'm only getting 8.4 volts and if I hook the yellow wire to the red wire the light on the unit lights up but the track switch does not work. I know all of these switches worked as they were in my original setup. Why would I only be getting the light to work off of the red. I have a powered track hooked to the switch so I'm not sure why the darned thing won't work. Perhaps because I am only getting 8.4 volts.

And I suppose I need to figure out why I've only got the low voltage. hmmmm

I've been wresting with this setup for 2-3 years and had consistent problems with continuity. I even soldered some connections to gain continuity. But I'm open to any ideas.

Offline ccranium  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2023 21:13:14(UTC)
ccranium

Hmm. Sounds like you have a voltmeter. What AC voltage do you get across the neutral and yellow connections at the power supply? (I'm an analog user so am not familiar with the colors and connections with a 60653) On the older blue transformers it's supposed to be 16VAC but I get as much as 18VAC on mine.

You'll also get a voltage reading across the yellow ("Accessory") terminal and the red ("Track Power") terminal and it will vary as you change the track power (in my analog world; can't speak to digital) so that may explain why the light works since it needs about 16VAC to energize the filament (assuming it's the original incandescent bulb). And you may also have a short somewhere; I chase those starting at the power supply and then through to the feeder tracks and switches. In my case I usually have a Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment....

The solenoid also may not work for a variety of reasons (burned out winding, insufficient voltage or current, more?). Try a continuity check using the amperage setting on your meter between the yellow wire and the blue wires; they should show continuity alternatively as you rotate the light. If they don't then there's a broken connection somewhere internally in the switch. If you remove the bottom cover and look carefully you might see the problem, and possible could resolder a connection. If it's in the winding, you might see discoloration but not always. If that's it then it's tough to repair but replacement windings sometimes show up on eBay.

Good luck!
Brian
Offline nhumps  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2023 22:02:52(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
Hi, I think i'm reading this correctly... Does the 60653 connect into a trackbox (60113/60116) and is powered by 30 VA Switched Mode Power Pack (66365)?

I don't believe the likes of a trackbox 60113/60116 output power will be enough to throw 5204 and similar solenoid devices. However it may be just enough to light up the turnout lantern.

Typically one or more accessory transformers are used with yellow connected to turnouts, signals and lighting accessories with the common brown connected to all transformers and track.

Do you have an accessory transformer? The likes of a 6001 or a 6646 or similar.
Offline Norton1972  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2023 02:01:36(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Yes the 60653 does connect to a 60113. I don't have a 66365 in the loop. I don't think I ever did have one. I still have 3 of the older blue controllers and they are serviceable. Would it behave me to hook all the electrical items, switches, car separators, and other lighting stuff to one of those exclusively? That would be simple to do. And it may have been how I did it before.

I went through a year or so of cancer and now my heart is getting ready for some work. Leaves me really tired so I am operating with part of a brain and part of a body!!!

Thanks for all the help. I went to DC for the newer locomotives and all of the sounds, smoke, and other fun stuff.

Thanks!!

Steve
Offline nhumps  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2023 02:49:46(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear re your health, hopefully all is well for you again soon.

Yes do use one of the blue controllers as your accessory power source; yellow outputs for items you describe. Start with one perhaps to keep it simple, if you expand to two or three you must not connect any transformers yellow outputs together.
Connect all Brown (0) together and feed the track
ignore the red (B) connectors on the transformers if they have speed controllers.

if you have a lot of accessories you may want to create 3x distinct bus wires eg: Transformer 1 Bus: Turnouts, Transformer 2 Bus: lights, Transformer 3 Bus: car seperators.

If they are the blue metal transformers the standard warning about disintegrating power cords apply (this topic comes up often on the forum) eg: https://www.marklin-user...rklin-transformer-repair
If they are the blue plastic type they will likely be fine
Offline Norton1972  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2023 03:20:39(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
I have three of the blue plastic controllers. It must have been how I did it before. So my 60653 is the loco controller and the blue ones take care of the accessories.

That makes sense.

Thanks for the concern with my health - I have a very well miss spent youth and have no complaints. The good Lord will care for me and take care of what I have yet to do in this life.

Be well,
Steve
Offline ccranium  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2023 22:34:08(UTC)
ccranium

Hi Steve, best wishes for your health and recovery.

If you're going to use more than one transformer and are going to connect all the neutrals (browns) together, be sure to check the polarities of each of the wall plugs so they are all going to the neutral side of your AC home wiring. Check section 8/pages 12-14 in this: http://www.macbeth66.com...rklin_Wiring_Booklet.pdf

Brian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ccranium
Offline Norton1972  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2023 23:08:01(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Thank you - I printed the booklet off. I'll go back and check the polarity as I can't get the switches to function. And the switch light doesn't come on. Polarity may be the problem. I know they work - just have no memory of what I did nor how I did it!

Thanks for the best wishes - me too brother on things working out.

Steve
Offline Norton1972  
#12 Posted : 19 January 2023 23:55:15(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Well son of a gun, I had a brown wire from the switch blocks that wasn't hooked up. I thought it was hooked up with the other neutral but apparently it wasn't hooked correctly. The booklet helped as it was in color and all of a sudden the loko started operating correctly, the light in the switch came on and the two blue wires worked the switch correctly. All of you were correct in how things should have been and I just couldn't seem to get it through my thick head what needed done.

Thank you all again!!

I will eat a fudgsicle in your honor this evening - -

Steve
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Norton1972
Offline ccranium  
#13 Posted : 20 January 2023 00:04:43(UTC)
ccranium

Great news! Sounds like nothing's fried!
Just don't drip fudgsicle on the track!
Offline Norton1972  
#14 Posted : 20 January 2023 02:15:16(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Ah Brian - I don't have a single piece of track on the board yet. I'm going to drift over to the layouts section and see about some ideas for a setup. And if I drip fudgesicle my dog will catch it long before it encounters the track!!