Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2022 01:25:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I received my 39199 SBBCI 193 524 yesterday. I had a chance to test the functions today and to do a quick comparison with the Roco 79917 193 521.
Both models are well done. The new Maerklin body is much better than the earlier Hobby versions (Thank you Maerklin).

Right away, I noted that the Roco model has a lighter shade of pale blue for the sky part of the side panel. The Maerklin one has a slightly darker tone to it.
Roco
IMG_3533.jpeg
Maerklin
IMG_3531.jpeg

These photos seems to suggest that the Roco model is more accurate:
https://railcolornews.co...amNeckar20200424dfph.jpg
https://assets.new.sieme...abe-sbb-cargo-int-04.jpg

In any case, the new arrival will allow me to shift the Roco model to multiple unit operation with either one of the red (LokRoll) Vectrons or with the expected ELL machine. I will have to do some testing with the ELL unit as that will be AFAIK my first Roco Vectron with the new motor.

The Maerklin Vectron will be normally hauling a short container train on it's own or could be used in combination with either my SBB Cargo Re 474 or MRCE/SBB ES64F4.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2022 21:05:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I just received my Roco ELL Vectron leased to SBB Cargo International (79955). This locomotive will look very nice in tandem with one of my Südleasing (Blue) or LokRoll (Red) SBB Cargo Vectrons at the head of a container train.
What makes this model very special is that Maerklin and LSM already released models of an ELL SBB Cargo Vectron, but they chose to model the version with 2 pantographs (Germany/Austria/Hungary?/Romania?) and not the international version (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Holland). I would think that the multi system version would be more appealing as a model because it appeals to a greater market than the Germany/Austria variant would and that is why I waited for this model so long.

https://www.elektrolokar.../basic/siem_22154_03.jpg

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2022 14:01:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Vectrons are the latest trend, and I have two. The MRCE "Lea" and the DB Gruen, so I think that is enough, although most of them have very attractive colors and motif's.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2022 21:44:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Right now, the Vectron is probably the leading design for modern electric locomotive in Europe. Siemens now focuses on the Vectron family and is no longer producing the ES64 U (Taurus) and ES64 F (189) series. Bombardier Transport (Rail) (ex-ADtranz/ABB) was acquired by Alstom and they continue to market the Traxx series, but it seems to me that most railways are now preferring the Vectron to the 186/187 machines.
With more and more Vectrons coming into service, they will soon be the most common machine on rails throughout Europe. Expect to see more and more Vectrons in passenger traffic as well.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2022 14:23:23(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I didn't know the Taurus had ended production, and it seems Siemens wants to make anything Adtranz related obsolete, and the 101 is gone as well.
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2022 17:17:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I didn't know the Taurus had ended production, and it seems Siemens wants to make anything Adtranz related obsolete, and the 101 is gone as well.

Each company maintains a product line. In the case of Siemens, the Vectron has supplanted the Eurosprinter Series, which began with the ES 64P (DB BR 127) which went into service as the ES64 F (BR 152) and later the ES64 F4 (BR 189) (Multisystem). The OBB had specific requirements for their planned locomotive and this became the Class 1016 (Taurus) which was marketed internationally as the ES64 U (BR 182). Later versions made for the Belgian SNCB (Class 18/19) and the Portuguese CP (Class 4700) led to the exterior appearance of the Vectron class.

Once Siemens began marketing the Vectron series, production on the Eurosprinter series wrapped up when the final ES64F4 and ES64 U (1216) were delivered.
Siemens now focuses on the Vectron and other models which are now described as being part of the Sprinter series as the market has expanded beyond Europe.

The 101 was a product of ADTranz (ABB/Daimler). Like the SBB Re 460, the BR 101 saw limited life outside of it's original market. The design was adapted for use by NJ Transit (ALP 46). Elements of the BR 101 were also used in the development of the DB Cargo Class 145, which went on to become the prototype for the Bombardier Traxx series (145/146/185/186/187/etc).

Siemens and Alstom are now the leading rivals for locomotive traction with Stadler and CRRC (China) as lesser rivals.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Copenhagen  
#7 Posted : 18 October 2022 17:45:05(UTC)
Copenhagen

How are the Marklin sounds compared to Roco?
Sometimes the Marklin horn sounds are truly embarrasing because they sound like a cheap toy hoot.

I have a Roco DB Vectron and the Danish DSB Vectron from Piko. I think the DSB Vectron has a beautiful color, a deeper red than DB red and with som grey on top. It's a beautiful sight to see in real life and a true power house. We are getting 40 plus engines for regional traffic.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 18 October 2022 23:52:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Right now, the Vectron is probably the leading design for modern electric locomotive in Europe. ....
.. they will soon be the most common machine on rails throughout Europe. Expect to see more and more Vectrons in passenger traffic as well.

Regards

Mike C

Yes I saw a Vectron 193 in Berlin in CD colours on a Czech international train (with CD coaches) in 2018.
I think it might have been a daily train Prague to Hamburg.
The BR193 is on lease from ELL.
UserPostedImage

Thanks for the review.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 19 October 2022 07:43:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2022 06:52:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have Vectrons by Roco, Maerklin and LS Models. The LSM one is going back to the dealer due to a problem with the LEDs. Once I get it back, I will update this thread with a comparison of the three models.
Compared to the Roco and LSM models, the Maerklin sounds leave a lot to be desired. Still, the newer Maerklin (non-hobby) ones (DB and SBB) from 2021/22 have some nice features.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mmervine  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2022 20:04:19(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Mike-I hope all is well up north! Question for you...Roco says that their Vectrons only have one traction tire. Can you confirm? I have not purchased any as they would not make it up my helix with a consist and only one traction tire. Also, do you know what decoder they are currently using?

mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 20 October 2022 00:53:55(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I've also read that, in my 2020 catalogue for every Roco Vectron. Their A/C versions usually have one less geared axle than the D.C. because of the slider. My 78749 A/C br 218 diesel has 2 tires. The D.C. veriosn lists 1.
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 20 October 2022 04:28:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post
Mike-I hope all is well up north! Question for you...Roco says that their Vectrons only have one traction tire. Can you confirm? I have not purchased any as they would not make it up my helix with a consist and only one traction tire. Also, do you know what decoder they are currently using?

mark

The Roco Vectrons have Zimo OEM decoders. I really like the sound on these.
From what I can see on my new ELL machine, the AC version seems to have at least 2 traction tires.
Mine actually seems to have one axle with traction tires per bogie
IMG_3899.jpeg

I will have to check my other models. The ELL one is the first Vietnam (new motor) model.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 20 October 2022 04:35:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I've also read that, in my 2020 catalogue for every Roco Vectron. Their A/C versions usually have one less geared axle than the D.C. because of the slider. My 78749 A/C br 218 diesel has 2 tires. The D.C. veriosn lists 1.

As I stated to Mark, my ELL SBB (AC) [Vietnam] has 4 traction tires, 2 axles with tires on each bogie and all four axles powered.
I have to check my Südleasing (Blue), Hupac (Blue) and LokRoll (Red) SBB machines to see if the earlier models were the same.

The Roco catalog usually mentions how many axles powered and how many traction tires for AC and DC versions.
The 2022 New Items states 3 axles powered and 1 axle with traction tires for most of the Vectrons.
I will have to look into this. The photo of my new ELL one shows 2 axles with traction tires and I could not manually rotate any of the axles, suggesting that all four are powered.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mmervine  
#14 Posted : 20 October 2022 13:21:35(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Mike-thanks for the info!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Copenhagen  
#15 Posted : 27 October 2022 13:25:48(UTC)
Copenhagen

From a thread in a Danish forum it seems that there is sound related problem with Maerklin Vectrons in the 39xxx series.
The way to see the problem is to have it placed on the track at stand still then follow these steps:

Activate motorsound
Drive a bit back and forth
Come to a halt
Deactivate motorsound after a few seconds
Wait about 30 seconds (20 to 40 seconds)
Activate motorsound
Try and drive forward or backwards - the train doesn't move, but sound works.

To get the train to work normally again either turn power off and back on (the STOP button) or wait a full 60 seconds.

The person reporting the issue is a experienced Maerklin user. He has downloaded the Vectron sound project into an older locomotive and it's getting the same, faulty behavior. He found the problem in the Danish DSB Vectron item 39331 and has later tested the sound projects from a German and an Austrian Vectron where he gets the same fault. There is a Danish Maerklin representative in the thread who is informed about the problem, and he will look into it.
There was just an update in the forum. The user has done some more testing and found that if the waiting time is between 0 and 22 seconds everything is fine. From 23 to 45 seconds there is a problem. No problem above 45 seconds.
The reason he found it is because he uses Windigipet and has a special routine for trains stopping and departing from platforms.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 27 October 2022 20:34:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have not encountered any issues with my 39197 (DB) and 39199 (SBBCI) units.
I suspect that the issue is that the decoder is probably still processing the sounds for the stop when it is shut off and then there is a delay before the train starts moving again as the decoder goes through the sound/acceleration start cycle.
I have no experience with Windigipet and am using either a 6021 or MS2.

What happens if you try to start the train with sound off? Does it move right away?

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Copenhagen  
#17 Posted : 27 October 2022 21:39:20(UTC)
Copenhagen

Without sound on there shouldn't be any problem, based on his description.

He has a youtube channel, some of the videos have English subtitles. The video showing the problem can be seen with German subtitles over the Danish text.
https://m.youtube.com/wa...?v=NqgTxXdsA-8&t=60s

The name of his layout is "Kælderkøbing" which translates to something like: Cellartown because it's located in his cellar.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#18 Posted : 28 October 2022 05:44:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
The reason he found it is because he uses Windigipet and has a special routine for trains stopping and departing from platforms.

Hopefully (and seems likely) the problem is indicated only when using Windigipet or perhaps another computer control system.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Copenhagen  
#19 Posted : 28 October 2022 08:32:38(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post

Hopefully (and seems likely) the problem is indicated only when using Windigipet or perhaps another computer control system.

Kimball

No he found out about the problem because he has a special Windigipet routine for running in new locomotives. When he saw that the two new engines of the same type didn't run as expected he then performed manual tests on both a CS2 and an Ecos station.
It's a bug that most users probably won't see - but a bug anyway. The Danish Maerklin guy has already informed the German team about it and we'll see what happens.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline mike c  
#20 Posted : 09 January 2023 23:58:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I just received my latest delivery, the Roco 78727 MRCE SBB Cargo International 193 658 "Shadowpiercer" "Vierwaldstättersee".

Compared to my most recent delivery 79955 ELL SBB Cargo International 193 258, this model is labelled Made in RO (Romania).
I found it interesting that one model came from Romania while the earlier one (a few months prior) came from Vietnam.
I would have expected that the tooling for a specific model would be assigned to one manufacturing site and not split between facilities.
It would seem to me more effective to have all the Vectron parts at one place and not have it in dual facilities.

I am going to do a full comparison of the various Vectron models so I can figure out which ones can be used in Multiple operation.
I noticed that there seems to be some differences in the function assignments on some models.

Stay tuned for more details and a full head to head report on the Maerklin, Roco and LSM Vectrons in my fleet.

Regards

Mike C
Offline marklinist5999  
#21 Posted : 10 January 2023 00:12:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
How odd of the Romania/Vietnam co production of Roco Vectrons. Unless your box was mislabeled upon recipet in Austria? Is it possible? However, Roco does have Locos assembled in Vietnam, like my 78749 br 218 citybahn. This model by the way is heavier than my new Marklin 39187 218, and has no problem pushing a 4 car passenger train up a 4% grade. The Marklin hesitates just a bit up the curve. I think the Zimo motor controlds are better. The turbo sound of the Roco is quieter.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 10 January 2023 04:50:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Roco says that their Vectrons only have one traction tire. Can you confirm? Also, do you know what decoder they are currently using?

My Roco 79927 Rail Force One Vectron looks like it has 4 tyres - 2 front and 2 rear. It also has a Zimo decoder.

Roco79927-01.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 10 January 2023 08:16:45(UTC)
H0

Roco says that their Vectrons only have one traction tire.
Do they?
Roco usually indicate the number of axles with traction tyres, but do not indicate if there are one or two tyres.
Often the number applies to the two-rail version only, while the three-rail version has more tyres.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#24 Posted : 11 January 2023 17:32:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
A lot of Roco DC models will have a traction tire on one side of an axle only, so one tire will be on the left on one axle, but there will be a corresponding tire on a second axle on the opposite side.

Regards

Mike C
Offline GlennM  
#25 Posted : 12 September 2023 12:12:02(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Mike

Any update on the LS Models Vectron, I am interested to know what you think of the model and its running characteristics vs the Roco?
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline jcrtrains  
#26 Posted : 12 September 2023 16:47:21(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Glenn;

I am sure Mike will respond but I will also give you a perspective.

I have three Roco Vectrons and have recently purchased a LS Models Vectron.

The Roco Vectrons are very good. However, the LS Models version is actually better. The LS Models version detail is sharper and more comprehensive, particularly on the roof and on the bogies. In addition, it has very few add on parts. Note many of the Roco details are add ons - wipers, some handrails etc.

From a running perspective, the LS Models version is smoother at lower speeds. My layout does have hills and I regularly run long freight trains. Interestingly, the Roco Vectrons do a better job of having a consistent speed across the whole layout. They slow a bit on the upward hill, but the LS Models version slows considerably.

My only nit with the LS Models Vectron is really as a result of my layout design and build. The bogies are very prototypical so there are components that are extremely close to the rail. I have had to remove some (they do clip off) as they were catching on some hill transitions. Note I have two other LS Models engines, SNCF CC 6517 and SBB Bm 4/4, that do not have the same problem.

Note all models are DC analogue so I can not give digital insight. A picture of the LS Models Vectron attached.

PXL_20230912_142350423.JPG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline GlennM  
#27 Posted : 13 September 2023 06:34:57(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
Glenn;

I am sure Mike will respond but I will also give you a perspective.

I have three Roco Vectrons and have recently purchased a LS Models Vectron.

The Roco Vectrons are very good. However, the LS Models version is actually better. The LS Models version detail is sharper and more comprehensive, particularly on the roof and on the bogies. In addition, it has very few add on parts. Note many of the Roco details are add ons - wipers, some handrails etc.

From a running perspective, the LS Models version is smoother at lower speeds. My layout does have hills and I regularly run long freight trains. Interestingly, the Roco Vectrons do a better job of having a consistent speed across the whole layout. They slow a bit on the upward hill, but the LS Models version slows considerably.

My only nit with the LS Models Vectron is really as a result of my layout design and build. The bogies are very prototypical so there are components that are extremely close to the rail. I have had to remove some (they do clip off) as they were catching on some hill transitions. Note I have two other LS Models engines, SNCF CC 6517 and SBB Bm 4/4, that do not have the same problem.

Note all models are DC analogue so I can not give digital insight. A picture of the LS Models Vectron attached.

PXL_20230912_142350423.JPG

Thanks for replying, I always welcome anyone's thoughts, and I was interested to read that you prefer the LS over Roco, I have a Roco Vectron which I am impressed with so I am now very tempted by the LS version. Goof food for thought

Many thanks

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline mike c  
#28 Posted : 15 September 2023 03:23:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My first Vectrons were the pair of SBB locomotives with the red cabs. I then added the first blue one, followed by one from the more recent series. I have since added the ELL and MRCE ones. I opted for the Roco models because at the time, Maerklin was only offering the hobby model and other companies were only offering models with two pantographs. Once I had the Roco models, I decided on other Roco models so that they would match if run as a multiple unit consist.
I have since added the more recent SBB locomotive from Maerklin (39199) and the LS Models "Ceneri" special livery. Both of these are very nice, but will likely spend most of their time running solo with their trains. I also have a pair of Roco BLS Re 475 Vectrons, which can be run solo or in tandem.
The Roco models came with a lot of parts that were to be added, but Roco's packaging does not really allow for models with added parts to be put back in the box. The Maerklin model is slightly less detailed and the LSM locomotive can be boxed as the parts are mostly already mounted.

Regards

Mike C
Offline GlennM  
#29 Posted : 15 September 2023 06:47:11(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
My first Vectrons were the pair of SBB locomotives with the red cabs. I then added the first blue one, followed by one from the more recent series. I have since added the ELL and MRCE ones. I opted for the Roco models because at the time, Maerklin was only offering the hobby model and other companies were only offering models with two pantographs. Once I had the Roco models, I decided on other Roco models so that they would match if run as a multiple unit consist.
I have since added the more recent SBB locomotive from Maerklin (39199) and the LS Models "Ceneri" special livery. Both of these are very nice, but will likely spend most of their time running solo with their trains. I also have a pair of Roco BLS Re 475 Vectrons, which can be run solo or in tandem.
The Roco models came with a lot of parts that were to be added, but Roco's packaging does not really allow for models with added parts to be put back in the box. The Maerklin model is slightly less detailed and the LSM locomotive can be boxed as the parts are mostly already mounted.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks Mike

What about running characteristics?

Offline mike c  
#30 Posted : 15 September 2023 20:56:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have to say that the LSM Vectron is definitely a smooth runner. I have not yet had the chance to let it run a long period of time. At the time, the only other manufacturer making the "Ceneri" model was Piko. I thought I would try the LSM model as I was pleased with my earlier SBB Bm 4/4 shunter.

I would have bought the ELL Vectron from LSM, but they only released the version with 2 pantographs (Germany/Austria) and not the one that goes through Switzerland (DACHINL) with 4 pantographs, so I waited for that model and Roco was first.

Regards

Mike C
Offline GlennM  
#31 Posted : 19 September 2023 05:56:44(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I have to say that the LSM Vectron is definitely a smooth runner. I have not yet had the chance to let it run a long period of time. At the time, the only other manufacturer making the "Ceneri" model was Piko. I thought I would try the LSM model as I was pleased with my earlier SBB Bm 4/4 shunter.

I would have bought the ELL Vectron from LSM, but they only released the version with 2 pantographs (Germany/Austria) and not the one that goes through Switzerland (DACHINL) with 4 pantographs, so I waited for that model and Roco was first.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks Mike, you have given me some food for thought, should I wait for Roco or go with LSM????

Thanks
Online river6109  
#32 Posted : 22 September 2023 16:01:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
not completely part of the topic but i like to know waht will happen 10 years down the track,will we see any other locos than the Vectron ? and with international border crossings will we see Vectrons from different countries entering foreign countries more often, food for thought

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#33 Posted : 22 September 2023 17:26:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
not completely part of the topic but i like to know waht will happen 10 years down the track,will we see any other locos than the Vectron ? and with international border crossings will we see Vectrons from different countries entering foreign countries more often, food for thought

John

John,

this should actually be it's own topic. At the moment, the Vectron (193) has shown itself to be a very successful machine, both as an actual locomotive and as a model.
There are other locomotive designs, be it the BR 186, the BR 187 both Alstom (ex-Bombardier) Traxx. The BR 145/146/185 are still there too. There are also the Siemens Euro Sprinter family, including the 152, 189 and 182 (Taurus 1016, 1116, 1216).

Further down the list, you can see that the Spanish built Stadler (ex-Vossloh) Euro Dual is also getting some interest, although not in the numbers of the models above. That locomotive is a beast. https://www.bahnbilder.d...dual-159-227-1294978.jpg
I think that SudExpress has models of this 6 axle model in H0.

I would have loved to see a follow up to the Re 460/465. The later ADTranz/Bombardier/Alstom models were all based on the 145.

I wonder if we will see a new product line from Alstom or modifications of the Traxx series now that they have taken over the product line from Bombardier.

For now, the Vectron seems to be the dominant choice for electric locomotive in Europe and elsewhere.

Regards

Mike C