Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline revmox  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2022 07:26:33(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
The handbooks I've seen simply suggest a height clearance of 75mm for non-catenary rolling stock on C track. For access between two levels of track to rerail a train or clean track that seems pretty tight even if it is right at the board edge - that is, you don't have to reach in very far. Obviously, I have thought of providing access holes from below and removable scenery sections on the top where possible but that might be tricky in some places.

What has long term experience taught the forum gurus is the practical, bearable minimum if you have to reach in the full depth of a forearm - say 400mm?

Or just don't do it and redesign?

Offline French_Fabrice  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2022 08:18:22(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

I've just done some changes in my layout Trossingen III. See https://www.marklin-user...I---Evolution#post651285

12cm minimum between levels (K-track) allows you to work, especially using small screwdriver.
If you have to drill (small diameter holes), then a fine pin vise is also required.
But it is not easy...

Otherwise, 20-25 cm allows to pass an arm...

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2022 12:58:26(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
On my layout, (no catenary there) I picked 90 mm between levels with a 10 mm plywood and C track (so this leaves only 80 mm working height)..
I did this because of lack of space and the 3% maximum climb rate but it is definitely too little.
The layout structure is made of frames with open access to "things" and 3 "man holes": places usually located at the center of helixes.
The border of a track path is sided with thin, flexible, transparent plastic sheets to prevent falling vehicles.
Now for a new layout, I would keep the 3% max incline but definitely increase the level height (yes 12 cm seems a good compromise).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline BenP  
#4 Posted : 29 September 2022 19:17:52(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I've just done some changes in my layout Trossingen III. See https://www.marklin-user...I---Evolution#post651285

12cm minimum between levels (K-track) allows you to work, especially using small screwdriver.
If you have to drill (small diameter holes), then a fine pin vise is also required.
But it is not easy...

Otherwise, 20-25 cm allows to pass an arm...

Cheers
Fabrice

Get corner piece for screws and holes (any brand) ...
41FXBgH-aLL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline revmox  
#5 Posted : 01 October 2022 03:26:13(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Thanks everyone - some good ideas and advice.

I will revisit SCARM to maximise the access through removable upper layer scenery. I have also changed my beginner's thinking about the lower level - I had simply assumed a solid lower-level board but will now make it a strip design with flexible safety fences that will allow me access from below without too much reaching. In my small layout I don't think I can get much over 100mm between levels without gradients becoming too steep.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 02 October 2022 07:35:37(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I have 20cm free height in my shadow-stations, and it is juuust enough for me. 25cm would be better.
I wouldnt want to have less though, as it would be impossible for my hand to reach over the trains on the tracks!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa