Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2022 15:22:35(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good day everyone, I've mounted the decoder following the instructions but as soon as I place the loco on the programming track there is a short and the Ecos goes into protection mode. If I place the loco, coming from 29185 set, on the programming track without the contact shoe all is well. I have placed a thin piece of plastic inside the well where the red cable is soldered so that the little PCB doesn't touch it. Still it generates a short. I have cut all the little brown discs as the e instructions don't show them at all. This is the first time something like this happens to me. Ideas?
Offline ocram63_uk  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2022 15:31:17(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
SOLVED!!! I had mounted the pickup shoe the wrong way so that one part was touching the PCB with the red cable and the other end was touching the body of the loco thus generating the short. Simply rotating the pickup shoe solved the issue.
Cool thing this decoder is MFX too 😊
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
bph
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2022 15:38:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
This is a shoot in the dark but my best guess is the slider is non-symetrical and has been mounted the wrong way so that the other slider clamp around the insulation base touches the loco frame.
Another possibility is the slider screw is not the good one and links the slider with the chassis

Other possibilities but contradicted with your description are:

- the red wire linking the small PCB (normally in contact with the slider) to the B power input of the decoder is shorted to the ground (sharp edges in the conduit lead to shorts when pulling the wire)
- the decoder is faulty and creates a short

Cheers
Jean
Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2022 10:29:43(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
The decoder works fine, the rotor and the field magnet have remained the old ones, yes it is a bit noisy at low speed but acceptable and the noise level can be improved by playing with the Acceleration setting. By default the decoder selects MFX.

From the manual I discovered that the DCC CVs that have the POM label beside them can be changed, at least on the Ecos, by accessing the settings in the Edit Loco menu while the loco is still on the programming track.

Nice feature I wasn't aware of.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 21 September 2022 10:46:01(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
From the manual I discovered that the DCC CVs that have the POM label beside them can be changed, at least on the Ecos, by accessing the settings in the Edit Loco menu while the loco is still on the programming track.
All CVs can be changed on the programming track, some (marked POM) can also be changed on the main track.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline ocram63_uk  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2022 18:58:23(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
maybe we are not understanding each other 😊

I placed the loco on the running track and tried changing CVs directly, the Ecos's response was 'no loco on track'
maybe because it is setup to use MFX?

I placed the loco on the programming track and using the Ecos's interface I managed to change those parameters I was trying to change via direct CV programming.

In my opinion POM means that you can yes program the loco while running bit ONLY using the graphical interface of the Ecos, in my case 😊
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 22 September 2022 19:42:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
In my opinion POM means that you can yes program the loco while running bit ONLY using the graphical interface of the Ecos, in my case 😊
"POM" means "can be programmed anywhere" (any track, any screen).
CVs without "POM" can only be changed on the programming track. But any screen should work.

mfx can interfere. But "POM" entries should work on the main track with "M4" disabled in the ECoS.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline ocram63_uk  
#8 Posted : 24 September 2022 11:46:20(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
you mean to say that if I disable M4 with the loco running on tracks I can actually set CVs with POM beside them by accessing the CV directly on the Ecos and not via the specific screen?