Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2022 01:57:17(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
In order to reduce noise created between trains and plywood base, I want to use foam insulation between the track and plywood. What is the best way to attach the M-track to the foam as it won't hold screws? Will construction adhesive hold the track to the foam? Using longer screws would defeat the purpose of the foam. Besides small screws don't come in longer lengths.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2022 02:32:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
In order to reduce noise created between trains and plywood base, I want to use foam insulation between the track and plywood. What is the best way to attach the M-track to the foam as it won't hold screws? Will construction adhesive hold the track to the foam? Using longer screws would defeat the purpose of the foam. Besides small screws don't come in longer lengths.

Hi Ron
adding a cork base force you to select extra long screws to reach the plywood under it.
The other negative effect is that the M track is alredy high above the base plate and the cork base adds to it.
My suggestion is to use, under the metal roadbed either a thin plastic foam as for insulation or a layer of felt.
This forces you to "dress" the steep sides of the M rails to hide this insulation material
There is an excellent video for adding realism to M track

One last thought: avoid large flat surfaces of plywood as they act as drums to amplify the rail noise.
A frame struture with transverse vertical ribs, adapted to the scenery landform, with trees, grass etc will damp the noise a lot.
Compare this noisy naked version of my layout with this type of construction (except where the turntable is)

with this with the decoration, which absorbs the noise a lot

Note: I also had those rubber bars developped by Märklin 7171 around 1965 to insert inside the roadbed and the noise reduction was not great.
Sans titre.png
I hope this helps a little

Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Mr. Ron  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2022 18:51:29(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Hi Ron
adding a cork base force you to select extra long screws to reach the plywood under it.
The other negative effect is that the M track is alredy high above the base plate and the cork base adds to it.
My suggestion is to use, under the metal roadbed either a thin plastic foam as for insulation or a layer of felt.
This forces you to "dress" the steep sides of the M rails to hide this insulation material
There is an excellent video for adding realism to M track

One last thought: avoid large flat surfaces of plywood as they act as drums to amplify the rail noise.
A frame struture with transverse vertical ribs, adapted to the scenery landform, with trees, grass etc will damp the noise a lot.
Compare this noisy naked version of my layout with this type of construction (except where the turntable is)

with this with the decoration, which absorbs the noise a lot

Note: I also had those rubber bars developped by Märklin 7171 around 1965 to insert inside the roadbed and the noise reduction was not great.
Sans titre.png
I hope this helps a little

Jean

Thank you, Jean, for your input. Your layout looks good, but unfortunately one solution does not fit all situations. My track is now fastened down to a plywood deck, but I'm thinking to raise all the track 18 to 25 mm for a home insulation board. The reason for the foam board will be two-fold. To reduce noise and to hide wiring. I want to run wiring above the plywood, so I would be embedding the wires in a trench in the foam. At 87, I cannot crawl under a layout to do wiring. It looks to me that I will have to attach the track to the insulation board with a construction adhesive. I have watched and enjoyed all of Martin's videos. He has an exuberant presence that makes watching him most enjoyable. I guess I'm one of those trying to re-invent the wheel. Unfortunately, that ends up in a waste of time, that in my case I cannot afford. But I look at building a layout as an engineering challenge. I may never complete my layout, but I am constantly trying to build, learn and experiment along the way. By the way, I understand layouts are never complete, but always a project-in-progress. Even Wunderland in Hamburg is undergoing changes all the time. It sounds silly to be comparing my layout to the Wunderland layout. I always enjoy reading your posts here, as you show interest in other people's work.
Offline ccranium  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2022 18:52:48(UTC)
ccranium

I'm using felt as well; I got a big piece of under-rug felt from Ikea and put it down double thick. It cuts the M-track noise from the drum effect quite well, but M-track is still M-track as far as the metal-on-metal sound. I screw it down using the M-track screws so I can remove sections easily if needed to add circuits and blocks later, or work on finicky turnouts. I trim the sides using a circular fabric cutter as much as possible, and then finishing with a sharp razor knife where the circular cutter can't reach. In areas with ballast, I mix my own color from Woodland Scenics' colors and do the white glue and sprinkle method, followed by careful spraying of white glue & water to hold down the loose grains (avoiding the trackbed). Catenary wires go back on the masts after the tracks are vacuumed and cleaned one "final" time. A lot of work but I find it's worth it.

I just saw your reply to Jean about the need to wire above the decking, so this may not work for you.

Good luck with the method you choose!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2022 19:27:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ron Hi everybody
I don't know about you but on my layout, each time I had wiring in a non accessible way I regretted it. In some place I had to have it because of the 3 levels on at least 40% of my layout.
So, just in my opinion, duct the cable to under the table and have them free so any future addition or repair is easily possible. above is good as long as you don't add scenery

regarding M track and noise:
- M track is inherently noisy (steel drum like in the CarribiansCursing )
- damping the noise has been tried by Märklin by using the 7171 rubber support, bands of foam to insert inside (7172 around 1958) the track but the results are not convincing.
- screws are usefull but make a link between the rail and the plywood that transmits noise. They are standard 1.7 mm by 15 mm countersunk heads - longer if cork or foam is used
- the best solution is to use lightly glued foam and lightly glued rails in limited places to have the maximum damping. Best is also to have foam (styrofoam? styrodur?) against each side of the metal ballast. Alas its a lot of work but sound and visual results are excellent
Using the Noch "Hin und Weg" glue (Noch 61121) allows to make an elastic link with the noise insulator. You may remove it without deteriorating the M track when making changes

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline 1borna  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2022 20:54:38(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
I used 2 thin layers of Styrodur of 3 mm each or 5 mm thick foam insulation (substrate for laminates) as a base.
UserPostedImage
every second or third rail is attached with one 1.7x20 mm screw not fully tightened.
The ride is somewhat quieter, but you can't expect the old metal wagons to drive as quietly as the newer ones with plastic undercarriage. After all, the real railway is quite noisy!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Mark5  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2022 00:43:12(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: 1borna Go to Quoted Post
I used 2 thin layers of Styrodur of 3 mm each or 5 mm thick foam insulation (substrate for laminates) as a base.
[img....]
every second or third rail is attached with one 1.7x20 mm screw not fully tightened.
The ride is somewhat quieter, but you can't expect the old metal wagons to drive as quietly as the newer ones with plastic undercarriage. After all, the real railway is quite noisy!

Hi Borna,
This looks quite interesting!
Would love to see how you continue to develop this and how you manage to maintain sound dampening.
Looks like a long folded dogbone. And as you say the metal cars are much more noisy.
No sound decoder needed to add extra effects... Love

I am curious if your cars will be side-swiped with those very close rails at the right if there would happen to be two trains going side by side. That may not be an issue as it looks like your intention is to merge traffic up ahead, but am thinking about these issues in my current plans for staging areas.

Jean,
a bit OT but thanks for sharing those videos of your layout in what appears to be an older state.
I am curious if you are using an R1 for your helix? I have thought of only using R2 and R3 for my helix out of concern for longer cars not being about to manage the curves well.

- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline 1borna  
#8 Posted : 09 August 2022 21:10:00(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
There is plenty of room near the tracks, everything has been tested before permanent installation.
UserPostedImage
This is how it looks after placing another layer of insulating material with a glued screed
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline polabear  
#9 Posted : 10 August 2022 04:03:13(UTC)
polabear

Canada   
Another possible solution, that worked great for me.......
Poke a small hole through the track with the tip of the intended screw to mark the spot where you need to anchor. Remove the track. Glue a small thin square of wood to the foam centered on the mark. I used popsicle type sticks from a craft store, (about 3/4" wide cut into squares), and builder's adhesive in a caulking gun. In some situations you might have to install one below grade, (around switches and signal baseplates), but just hack out an area and fill it with enough adhesive to fill any gaps. Once the glue is dry reinstall the track. Drill a small pilot hole, (either directly or by marking the screw locations and removing the track).
Now your screws will bite nicely into wood without losing any of the sound deadening qualities of the foam.

Regards, Dave

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by polabear
Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 10 August 2022 16:52:50(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I am doing this with C track, but the same approach could be used for M track, too:

3 mm cardboard "roadbed" glued onto white rigid styrofoam boards with white glue. Once the glue is dry, track segments are fixed with screws driven into the 3 mm cardboard.

(I once used Liquid Nails adhesive to glue C track directly onto foam boards for a former layout. Worked well, but track removal was a mess when dismantling: not so good.)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline gmeb  
#11 Posted : 12 August 2022 05:20:36(UTC)
gmeb

"Besides small screws don't come in longer lengths" Really! Can it be so?
Offline PMPeter  
#12 Posted : 12 August 2022 18:30:53(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: gmeb Go to Quoted Post
"Besides small screws don't come in longer lengths" Really! Can it be so?

Yes it can be so. What he meant to say is small diameter screws don't come in longer lengths. Perhaps you can find longer lengths made out of SS in online specialty stores, but not generally in hobby shops or hardware stores here in North America.
Offline Secret Experiment  
#13 Posted : 14 August 2022 06:33:07(UTC)
Secret Experiment

Australia   
Originally Posted by: polabear Go to Quoted Post
Poke a small hole through the track with the tip of the intended screw to mark the spot where you need to anchor. Remove the track. Glue a small thin square of wood to the foam centered on the mark. I used popsicle type sticks from a craft store, (about 3/4" wide cut into squares), and builder's adhesive in a caulking gun.

Thank you polabear, I think I'll try your sugggestion. For what it's worth (and this isn't original, of course), I cover the entire layout surface with 5mm polyester felt bought from a fabric store - it's quite cheap. The sound deadening is excellent, you get a pleasant "hiss" from the train rather than the high pitched clattering. A good thing is that it is quite "grabby", that is, the rails don't slide around on it very easily so you need far fewer screws etc and you can even screw some smaller items directly into the felt without going into the wood below. However, I think I'll combine the felt with polabear's idea, might be the perfect solution and easy to do with a quick setting glue.

One comment about wiring, I've just successfully built an experimental track with automatic train control for 5 engines/6 signals/4 home signals (be gentle, I'm new to this hobby! It's Fig 34 in the Signal Manual and I'm using predominately 1950s equipment which is a story in its own right). Since it's a test track, the wiring is just lying on top of the felt. What struck is just how much wiring is needed I'll attach a pictureIMG_4690.jpg! It's extraordinary, and if I get bored one day, I might measure it all, just to see how many meters there are. And that's without the catenary wiring and the lighting which I'm going to add in. I suppose I mention this because the thought of chiselling out grooves to make channels for this wiring in the foam would fill me with dread! I'm not sure what the solution is if you can't get under the table easily.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Secret Experiment
Offline BenP  
#14 Posted : 16 August 2022 11:16:48(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Secret Experiment Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: polabear Go to Quoted Post
Poke a small hole through the track with the tip of the intended screw to mark the spot where you need to anchor. Remove the track. Glue a small thin square of wood to the foam centered on the mark. I used popsicle type sticks from a craft store, (about 3/4" wide cut into squares), and builder's adhesive in a caulking gun.

Thank you polabear, I think I'll try your sugggestion. For what it's worth (and this isn't original, of course), I cover the entire layout surface with 5mm polyester felt bought from a fabric store - it's quite cheap. The sound deadening is excellent, you get a pleasant "hiss" from the train rather than the high pitched clattering. A good thing is that it is quite "grabby", that is, the rails don't slide around on it very easily so you need far fewer screws etc and you can even screw some smaller items directly into the felt without going into the wood below. However, I think I'll combine the felt with polabear's idea, might be the perfect solution and easy to do with a quick setting glue.

One comment about wiring, I've just successfully built an experimental track with automatic train control for 5 engines/6 signals/4 home signals (be gentle, I'm new to this hobby! It's Fig 34 in the Signal Manual and I'm using predominately 1950s equipment which is a story in its own right). Since it's a test track, the wiring is just lying on top of the felt. What struck is just how much wiring is needed I'll attach a pictureIMG_4690.jpg! It's extraordinary, and if I get bored one day, I might measure it all, just to see how many meters there are. And that's without the catenary wiring and the lighting which I'm going to add in. I suppose I mention this because the thought of chiselling out grooves to make channels for this wiring in the foam would fill me with dread! I'm not sure what the solution is if you can't get under the table easily.

The approach I used in an earlier layout is connection of main board to a wall with hinges. When working on wiring, the upturned board gives easy access. Do remove loose items :-)
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline blid  
#15 Posted : 16 August 2022 12:31:44(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
If you like BenP’s idea of hinges to the wall and have room for it. Mount the hinges on some sort of “shelf” on the wall. I once did that. Then the signals etc by the track close to the wall didn’t have to be removed. There was a gap to the wall when the main board was tilted.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline Secret Experiment  
#16 Posted : 16 August 2022 23:54:17(UTC)
Secret Experiment

Australia   
Of course, tilting the table, thanks bild and BenP! I should have worked that out for myself...... ! OK, I'm off to investigate the studs and beams in the wall in my train room to see where I can mount the shelf bolts!!
(random thought: if I choose nice, colourful wiring, I can always tell visitors that the table (when folded up against the wall) is a Jackson Pollock painting too!)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Secret Experiment
Offline dominator  
#17 Posted : 17 August 2022 00:27:56(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have covered my base ply with what is/was called Pinex. Its a soft board and makes the layout much quieter. I have screwed some of my track down but found that a PITA when I had some trouble with the points. I had soldered longer lengths of wire to the blue and yellow ones making it too hard to remove the points. In the end, I removed the solenoids and swapped them over when replacing the points. I then came up with the idea of placing sewing pins in beside the m track, at an angle so they [ pins ] were not seen. I did this only in areas where the track tended to migrate. Most of my track is now not screwed down.

I realize this may be no help to Ron with folding his layout up against the wall. I do recommend drilling holes under the track to bring the wire through to underneath to make it easier to maintain. I have now used very small plug/sockets on my wires to facilitate removal as necessary but so far all has worked well. In Ron's case, he could roll a length of suitable material down to cover the wiring when the table is raised against the wall.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline BenP  
#18 Posted : 17 August 2022 00:41:28(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
If you like BenP’s idea of hinges to the wall and have room for it. Mount the hinges on some sort of “shelf” on the wall. I once did that. Then the signals etc by the track close to the wall didn’t have to be removed. There was a gap to the wall when the main board was tilted.

Exactly. I bolted 2x6 beam to wall studs with corner pieces and used heavy door hinges, but needed extra support under it. I added 2 legs, as metal corner pieces were not strong enough to support the weight of upturned base (plywood). Very sturdy.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline Mr. Ron  
#19 Posted : 17 August 2022 01:11:12(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
A thought just came to me about running wires under a board. Why not route the wires through the space between the track and the board. Of course, this would only work with M-track.
Offline dickinsonj  
#20 Posted : 18 August 2022 00:51:35(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I managed to make wiring under C track work on a large carpet bahn, but it was a PITA and I do not recommend it.

It was mainly about my irrational devotion to model trains, than any type of suggestion. BigGrin

It seems that it would be pretty easy running wires under M track, with all of that room, although I never tried it.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline BenP  
#21 Posted : 18 August 2022 02:06:20(UTC)
BenP

United States   
A thought just came to me about running wires under a board. Why not route the wires through the space between the track and the board. Of course, this would only work with M-track.

M has cutouts for this, but practically you can't get all wires to transformer or decoders this way. Too many wires and too long. Still need to cut through base eventually.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline Mr. Ron  
#22 Posted : 26 August 2022 01:28:14(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I like the way "Iborna" did it by running the wires alongside the track. That will keep the wiring above the board and easy to run and maintain. I can keep the wires tight against the board and cover them with scenery. I'm thinking to secure the wires to the board with duct tape or other high stick tape.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron