Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dannyboyz  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2022 23:09:34(UTC)
dannyboyz

Ireland   
I am still planning my first z gauge layout and have been reading about High Frequency Electronic Track Cleaners, something like the Gaugemaster HF1.
https://www.gaugemasterr...gaugemaster-gmc-hf1.html

Do z gauge modellers use them and what, in general, are peoples impressions of them and are they necessary? I am aware of the need to keep track and wheels clean, but was wondering if this type of thing was needed? I would appreciate your opinions.
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2022 22:15:23(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello hope all is well.

I guess there aren’t many using the Guagemaster device.

There are wagons with a pad under which cleans the track. Many say these work very well.

I just use a cleaning type wand because I have a smaller layout and it doesn’t take that long.

Users said the best cleaning liquid was the contact cleaning spray like that made by WD 40. It seems to have less water in it.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2022 22:46:16(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I filled this wagon with a block of lead and tow it around with two heavy locos. A bit of cleaning cloth wrapped around 2 layers of Wettex kitchen dish cleaning cloth/sponge https://www.vileda.com.au/cloths/wettex-wet has about the right pressure on the rails.

You can get a lead diving weight from a diving shop or large fishing weight, bash it with a hammer or use jewelry rolling mill. A wood chisel to cut to size. Re hammed to fine tune dimensions.

Screw taps into lead, if keen tap a thread.

I have had no issues pulling it over points. Dab it on paper towel to clean sponge.

_MG_3054_062857.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Mman  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2022 23:13:05(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I have a couple of 8002 track cleaning railcars which work very well keeping the tracks clean and the special track cleaning gondola with the pad underneath.
Yet at any time if I wipe around with a piece of kitchen roll it will always pick up black marks from the railhead.
I don’t suffer from poor electrical pickup anywhere on the layouts so these cleaners must be doing some good.
ChrisG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline Carim  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2022 11:30:44(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I would check with GM first before installing a HF-1. I know it doesn't work with some power clips, so I think there might be a problem if you use 8590 as the interference suppressor may inhibit the HF-1. Also, whilst the instructions for the HF-1 say that it can be used for Z scale, I wonder whether there could be any impact on the capacitors in the locomotives themselves.

Carim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline parakiet  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2022 10:32:11(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
You should also do some trials.
Sometimes it are specific loco types or a specific loc who doesn't want to play nice.

Sometimes you can tinker with the loc to get it working. Or perhaps you need to add two of em together to double the electrical pickup.

Worst case scenario, you just have a non compatible loc. That's not the end of the world. There are different manufacturers and even more loco types.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline daveoZ  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2022 19:18:13(UTC)
daveoZ

United States   
I agree that you should do some trials and see how much, or little cleaning you might need. A lot will depend on the size of your layout, meaning track accessibility. I use three different means for my track cleaning: one 8802 track cleaning car, one 86501 track cleaning pad car, and for in-depth cleaning a metal wand, pad, and solvent. The best cleaning kit, in my opinion, with wand, pads, and solvent comes from Germany. No surprise there.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by daveoZ
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 16 August 2022 19:43:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Danny
Nothing beats a clean layout and smart ways to keep the dust away.
In case of bad contacts:
- the rails must be clean
- the wheels must be clean
- the contact tongues must be clean and in good shape
- a regular use of the layout is the best way to have great performance

Sorry to remind all this but it is true
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB