Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2022 17:04:23(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Dear All

I have a six coach SBB Panoramic express train for the Gothard. I bought all the lighting kits from marklin
including the copper piece to fix in one bogey on each coach, the current conducting couplers and installed them in each coach.

I now find that because of the added friction in the bogeys my Marklin SBB 420 has not got the power to pull the
train round the corners (R3).

I also have bought two of 42175 Lotchberger sets (one without the driving coach), these include factory fitted lighting and find a six coach train cannot be pulled by my BLS 465.

Do people have similar problems? is there a solution?

Tim
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2022 20:59:54(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would look at replacing the Maerklin current conducting close couplers with a solution by Roco, Piko, Krois, Viessman or other. Two pole wired couplings would allow you to avoid having the axle contacts on each coach and would reduce the drag when the consist was being pulled. You could even run wired couplings all the way to the locomotive and avoid requiring a second slider for the coach should you so desire.

It may also be interesting to note that the SBB frequently operates long trains on the network with a pair of Re 420 in MU.

The 42175 Set has OEM lighting, but also suffers from the drag caused by the return axle contacts. The same solution mentioned above would allow you to reduce the number of sliders/contacts in your consist.

The other solution might be to run those consists with older Maerklin locomotives (37356 and 3763/37461) with the classic motors or to pull them with Hag locomotives ;)

Regards

Mike C
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 29 July 2022 23:43:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Never had a problem with the return springs causing locos not pulling coaches. To be fair the most is six coaches and the baggage coach just uses battery operated lighting. It is possible to use only half of the spring on one axle which may help.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline revmox  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2022 02:25:07(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
I have been pondering a similar issue for a while and agree with Mike C that getting several coaches to share one or two pickups may be the way to go for this and other situations.

I came up with a hollow NEM drawbar to pass many wires from one coach to the next in my post on 5/7/22. It has the downside of permanent coupling but running passenger coaches in connected pairs or triples is doable - it also only costs a couple of cents.

I have also used a wire guide that simply slips over the NEM socket and is held in place when you push in the coupler (I use Roco universals). With black wire the connection is near invisible.

This works for up to 6 wires but, once again, it is a permanent connection.

PXL_20220729_232139990.jpg

I plan next to try to make a holder/retainer for the "mini micro" JST-SH connectors found in some of my quadcopters. The 2 pin version is only 4mm wide and there may an answer there somewhere.

JST-SH.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
Offline BenP  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2022 18:03:51(UTC)
BenP

United States   
To reduce shoe drag (like on helix) I run a thin wire across units using a small (arduino-style) slip connector that allows disconnecting of individual wagons. I cannot use conducting couplers as most carriages are metal or use older couplers.
20220730_115417.jpg
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2022 19:07:26(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2022 23:34:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

Hi Mike. Have you tried the ones from Almrose as they look interesting.

All best

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 01 August 2022 00:01:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have tried the Piko ones as they were OEM with the Goldenpass coach set. I had additional ones installed in some NPZ coaches where there was movement issues due to insufficient play in the wires. I have a model or two with the Roco four pole couplers. I did not adapt further models with those couplings.

I know of some modellers who have used circuits, LEDs and other parts from Almrose. I have read some good reviews of their couplers, but if I recall correctly, there were some concerns about magnet couplers detaching, which could present a risk in operation.

I remember there were some posts about the Hag, VI Trains and Almrose couplers on the Swiss Hag Forum over the past few years.
As I don't have too many consists with lighting, I have not adapted too many other than OEM or for testing.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mario54i  
#9 Posted : 01 August 2022 18:55:16(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

I know of some modellers who have used circuits, LEDs and other parts from Almrose. I have read some good reviews of their couplers, but if I recall correctly, there were some concerns about magnet couplers detaching, which could present a risk in operation.

I used tens of these magnetic couplers from Almrose (Hag and Vitrains are just different brands for the same part), I don't remember I've ever seen any unwanted uncoupling, even with long consists on slopes, in normal operation. I've seen some uncoupling only when the tail of the train gets stuck (e.g. derails) and the engine continues pulling, but this is not bad.
Electrically most of them behave well, but I have a few that lose electrical connection. Sometimes reversing the coach or changing position in the consist helps, probably there is a better match, but I have a BLS EWIII NINA consist where electrical disconnections are frequent in three coaches out of six and I haven't found why so far. Coupler or coach dependent problem ? Who knows.

Regards

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#10 Posted : 01 August 2022 19:59:15(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
This is a hot topic for me. Without spending a ton of money I don't think there is a good answer on the market yet.

What I would love to see (as a possible alternative) is even a micro 2 pole wire connector and leave the factory couplers in place. The micro JSTs I've seen are simply too big (and often ugly/visible white plastic)

I remember someone had posted a german ebay option once, but I can't seem to find it, and I don't remember seeing it in action

for permanantly coupled drawbars, there are options out there which work reliably and leverage the coupler drawbar to make the wires look like brake lines, which is quite slick!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 01 August 2022 21:57:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Based on your last post, I would think that the Viessmann solution is probably the best option. They are basically the Fleischmann Profi Coupling with one or two pole wiring.

Regards

Mike C