Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jcrtrains  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2022 00:42:03(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Folks;

The Hag forum has pointed out that Ae 8/14 11801 is doing a passenger service across the old Gotthard line from Erstfield to Bodio and back on June 26, 2022. This engine is not out very much so it is definitely a special event. Tickets for the event can be purchased at the following:

Ae 8/14 11801 tickets

I have purchased a ticket and am now making arrangements for the trip from Toronto.

Is anyone else from the forum planning to attend? It would be nice to do a meet up at this event.

Thanks

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Mark5  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2022 05:35:11(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Lucky you! JCR... We will be expecting photos...
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 05 May 2022 17:29:48(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I think the link is incorrect, or maybe the trip sold out? There is a small chance I might be able to go on the back of a business trip, so I'm very curious!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mario54i  
#4 Posted : 05 May 2022 19:19:57(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Offline jcrtrains  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2022 19:43:47(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
My itinerary is now set. It will be a fast trip of three nights. I will be riding trains, watching trains and going to train stores - the triple crown of trains!

I fly overnight from Toronto to Zurich June 24, arriving at 8 am in Zurich on Saturday June 25th. From there I will rent a car (train stores are not necessarily well serviced by rail given the time available).

On Sat June 25th, I drive from Zurich airport to Wetzikon to visit stores Hobby Huesli and Amiba Lokshoppen. From there, I continue south to Rapperswil to visit store Modellbaustudio Born. From there, I continue south to Altdorf to watch trains and stay overnight.

On Sunday June 26th, I drive over to Erstfeld for the event that starts at 9:40 am and goes to 5 pm. All additional time will be spent watching trains. I return to Altdorf to spend the night of June 26th.

On Monday June 27th, I am up early and driving north to Arth-Goldau to watch trains. From there, I continue north to store C-Gleis Plus in Schenkon. From there, I have a long drive across to St.Gallen to visit store Zuba-Tech. From St-Gallen, I go to Zurich. If I have time, I will visit Zuri-Tech in Zurich. Any available extra time will be spent at Zurich Station watching trains. I stay overnight in Zurich and leave at 9:30 am to Toronto on Tuesday June 28th.

Note stores need to be chosen carefully as many have a half day on Saturday and are closed the first part of the week.
Offline Unholz  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2022 21:09:48(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post

On Sat June 25th, I drive from Zurich airport to Wetzikon to visit stores Hobby Huesli and Amiba Lokshoppen. From there, I continue south to Rapperswil to visit store Modellbaustudio Born.

Are you aware of the (Swiss typical) rather limited opening hours especially of Hobby-Hüsli (9 to 12 on Saturdays) and of the fact that Born is no longer located in downtown Rapperswil but slightly "out in the sticks"? Wink
Offline jcrtrains  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2022 21:35:04(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I did see that. Hobby Huesli first then Amiba (open til 230). And I did see the move of Born - might be a residence now.

I will confirm hours of these three prior to departure.

Thanks
Offline Mark5  
#8 Posted : 12 May 2022 02:11:22(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
My itinerary is now set. It will be a fast trip of three nights. I will be riding trains, watching trains and going to train stores - the triple crown of trains!

I fly overnight from Toronto to Zurich.....
On Sat June 25th, I drive from Zurich. .......
.....I continue south to Altdorf to watch trains and stay overnight.
On Sunday....
On Monday June 27th,.....
.....and leave at 9:30 am to Toronto on Tuesday June 28th.
Note stores need to be chosen carefully as many have a half day on Saturday and are closed the first part of the week.
(redacted).....

I read your itinerary outloud over dinner for our vicarious pleasure...we laughed out loud.

My daughter says its sounds like you are planning a well organized heist. Reminding her of "The Italian Job."

My wife says she is worried about your lack of sleep for driving.

I'm just hoping you bring sturdy hardcover suitcases to bring back all your loot.

I'll just content myself with my packet from Lippe today.

Bon Voyage.
Buon Viaggio
Gute Reise
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Unholz  
#9 Posted : 26 June 2022 19:44:27(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
I just saw a picture of today's excursion train with Ae 8/14 no. 11801 near Wassen, so it actually ran and I hope that you had a memorable trip. ThumpUp

© by André Niederberger, excerpt from a Facebook post

11801_Wassen.jpg
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#10 Posted : 27 June 2022 18:48:56(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
What a delight, I wish I could have made it! Thanks for sharing the image Stefan- I have to look for more as this would be a fun train to model on a layout!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline jcrtrains  
#11 Posted : 28 June 2022 23:59:39(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Stefan;

I did manage to make it. I executed the exact itinerary described in one of the earlier posts.

The scheduled day itself was spectacular. The engine, the scenery, the engineering of the route and the SBB Historic team from Erstfeld made for an incredible day long ride. However, following the completion of the schedule and return to Erstfeld, the day actually moved from epic to mind blowing. The Erstfeld team realized that given I had travelled the farthest and arrived two hours before departure for pictures, my enthusiasm for the event was on the 'rabid' end of the spectrum.

As we headed back to Erstfeld, I was told to hang around quietly after the guests departed. While guests are not allowed in locomotives while operating, there is a bit of leniency in shunting. I was allowed to be in the cab for the entire shunting of all of the carriages into their tracks in the historic depot. There was lot's of back and forth, switching and cab cell chatter. Once we parked the Ae 8/14 on it's shed track, I was then given a quick personal tour of all of the other occupants of the Erstfeld Historic Depot. The Depot is truly the holy grail of SBB electrics and I was able to inspect and look in most of the cabs for all of Ce 6/8 II 14253 Krokodil, Köfferli, Be 4/6, Ae 6/6's Uri and Zug and the BDe4/4. It was truly a remarkable day.

Note the Erstfeld team were pleased with how the locomotive ran on the day. They were however, disappointed with the guest turn out. There were three carriages which were about 2/3 full. This was both disappointing and surprising for them, as the previous week's steam outing had 7 carriages full.

As the itinerary indicated, there was also many stores visited. There were some planned purchases, an unplanned purchase and a 'much better than I thought it would be when physically I saw the item, but will need to buy it on the web as the box is too big for my luggage and carry on'. I will provide more detail on this later.

Thanks

Ae 814 Bueler.JPGAe 814 Me.JPGAe 814 2.JPGAe 814 Faido.JPGAE 814 cab.JPGAe 814 Faido 2.JPG

Ae 66 Shed.JPGBe 66 Shed.JPGKofferli.JPGCrokodil.JPG

thanks 20 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Mark5  
#12 Posted : 29 June 2022 22:04:25(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Stefan;
..... the guest turn out. There were three carriages which were about 2/3 full. This was both disappointing and surprising for them, as the previous week's steam outing had 7 carriages full.

So glad you had a great time! ... with serious cab view!

Reminding me that we so easily take for granted what is in our own backyard and I must visit Exporail in St. Constant, Quebec again. A fine collection of the real thing, let me know if you are ever in Quebec/Montreal and want to visit.

Offline Crazy Harry  
#13 Posted : 01 July 2022 03:01:15(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Nice pictures Jon and congratulations on receiving the special treatment!

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline jcrtrains  
#14 Posted : 04 July 2022 01:08:00(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Just to close out the thread on stores visited:

I managed to visit the six stores as per the prior post.
Hobby Huesli in Wetzikon
Amiba Lokschuppen in Wetzikon
Modellbaustudio Born in Rapperswil-Jona
C-gleis-plus in Schenkon
Zuba-Tech in St-Gallen
Zuri-Tech in Zurich

In general, the stores were excellent. It was a reminder that Swiss model rail stores are the opposite of what we often normally see which is a big flashy web site and a small physical store. Swiss stores tend to be the opposite - the web site is small and the store itself is very impressive.

The depth of the Swiss stores allowed me to plan out items in advance. There were two essentially planned purchases. The first was the Liliput - Arwico partnership that has produced the BLS EW passenger set. I have had a negative experience with Liliput in the past (a BR 05 when they were re-starting in the 1990's that I bought online that was really weak). I needed to see this item to make a decision. In viewing it, I saw it was an excellent set. I dithered a bit on whether to buy the Nina or the Kamby version but the fact that I had a Hag BLS Re 4/4 II Nina already made the decision to purchase the Nina version easier.

The second planned purchase was the LS Models Bm 4/4. On inspection, I found it very detailed and in a test, it ran great. This is my first LS Models item and I am very impressed.

The unplanned purchase came at Modellbaustudio Born and was an Ade (sub-brand of Hobby Trade) Henschel DH 500 Ca. This version has the rod drive and I am a sucker for that feature. It runs well and while the company is defunct, it is my first Ade item.

As you are likely aware, my collection is fairly diverse. The two new engines represent my sixteenth and seventeenth loco manufacturers.

It is worth noting two other items. I wanted to see the Liliput BLS Dosto. On inspection, while interesting, the prototypes roof line and roof top electrics were a bit dull. Additionally, the bogies looked like cheap plastic - yes at 600 CHF you can be picky. The item that I did find that was excellent was the Le Models ETR 220/231. This is one of those classic Italian almost art-deco unit trains. Zuba-Tech had the ETR 231 and it was excellent. I did not buy it as it wasn't quite the version I wanted (ETR 231 has a large roof air-conditioning bump that looks a bit odd) and the box was too big for luggage. While the firm Le Models is defunct now, I will try and find an ETR 220 as I do still see them in Italian retailers.

One final observation is many of the store owners are a similar demographic to the hobby they serve - aging. Amiba Lokschuppen pointed out that this was the last year of the store being open full time as they slowly wind down and head to retirement. There were other stores with aging proprietors.

A couple pics to finish off.

Thanks

Henschel 1.JPGBm 44 2.JPG

bls EW 2.JPGBLS EW 1.JPG

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline steventrain  
#15 Posted : 04 July 2022 18:27:27(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Nice pictures, Thanks for sharing.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Mark5  
#16 Posted : 05 July 2022 17:27:16(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
If this is the one you were looking for, I would agree its a very handsome unit. ...the thing that I fell in love with in Italian stations was all that art deco lettering and the clean lines of the Santa Maria Novella station in Florence and at the Roma Termini. That unit certainly looks like it would fit there.
https://valestelor.alter...otreno-etr220-le-models/

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5