Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2022 17:44:38(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
421A2BA2-997D-4046-9AAB-7B8549CF9938.jpeg
IMG_3499.MOV (17,780kb) downloaded 25 time(s).

Here we have the Swiss, Germans, and Swedes all passing a Zmodell equipped entertainment car at a station in Europe somewhere, in my world! I am very happy with my new SBB Re420. I needed a Swiss loco to pull my Marklin 82417 WASCOSA set. It is beautiful, with a charming livery and plenty of detail. It runs as well as anyone could hope for. It is a fairly slow mover in comparison to others, but not slow. I cannot guess at its pulling power. I note one discrepancy, Marklins description says white/red lighting in the Swiss code but there are no red lights, just three white forward and one white rearward changing over, which is correct for most situations. From the instruction sheet it looks like it would be easy to maintain. It is built in Hungary and has a one piece chassis with the trucks held in with pins in the usual (older) Marklin style. It has a distinctive look on the track too.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2022 01:10:19(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello,,hope all is well

Great looking locomotive. It has a distinctive paint scheme. It looks like it would share performance similar to a Br110/111. (New models)

Having observed the pilots which swing out, (described as a feature of this model), could you describe this innovation for us.

Thanks, take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2022 05:52:01(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
From Wikipedia:
“A cowcatcher, also known as a pilot, is the device mounted at the front of a locomotive to deflect obstacles on the track that might otherwise damage or derail it or the train.”
So on this loco the trucks have the pilots molded in and they swing “out” just as the truck swings. It’s hard to see this on the track so I took pictures off track to make it clearer.
560D17A4-9FE8-49A0-B8EA-0DF82F74DC14.jpeg486D2013-F6BC-4A9F-B0CD-C5025204CD72.jpeg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
ZmeDonb
Offline Schelly  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2022 06:03:57(UTC)
Schelly

United States   
I'd also like to add that this loco benefitted from Z Scale Hobo's "test drive" feature. It was run on his test track and a video clip taken prior to shipping. Kind of nice to receive a loco with complete confidence :)
AKA husafreak
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Schelly
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2022 06:35:49(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, thanks.

If I am understanding, that “V” shaped piece at the front, is a part of the bogie. It moves along with the bogie as it moves on the track.

It almost looks like the snow plows you see on locomotives in northern regions. Seems SBB locomotives would need this type of feature also. Now it is modeled! Sweet. Let us know the results of your wagon pulling test if you get a chance. Could be a good reason to add to my SBB collection.

Thanks, I believe I understand it now. Nice locomotive. There is something to be said about a vendor who takes the time and extra effort to make certain you are a satisfied customer.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 15 April 2022 08:01:08(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Yup
Offline Schelly  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2022 16:08:59(UTC)
Schelly

United States   
Here are some Wiki pics showing the pilot on the Re420. It does not look like they "swing out" on the real loco? Probably it is not necessary. Pure speculation but our models benefit from having truck mounted couplers on the sharp curves we use. I'll bet many of us have had problems with stationary pilot mounted couplers on our trains and in fact AZL ships some of their loco's (like the E7 A unit) with a spare truck that has a coupler mounted, the user is instructed to remove the fixed pilot and its "non swinging" coupler and swap out the truck assemblies if it is to pull cars. The leading loco would not get this modification so to have the prototypical pilot and coupler look out front on, for instance, an ABA set. Perhaps Marklin is saying the pilot of the Re420 "swings out" to tell us that this feature is modeled but will not restrict operation of the coupler due to the mechanics of our small scale.
SBB Re420 1.jpegSBB Re420 2.jpeg
AKA husafreak
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Schelly
Zme
Offline rbw993  
#8 Posted : 15 April 2022 16:45:03(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
They do not swing out on the prototype. This is done on the model because of the unnaturally sharp curves on MRR track.
Regards,
Roger

I just did the math. A sharp prototype curve of 630 meters scales to about 3 meters in Z scale.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline husafreak  
#9 Posted : 15 April 2022 18:49:44(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Probably not much help but I put the Re420 on my 220mm loop pulling six long and two shorter cars, all cars have 2 axle bogeys so 32 axles. It pulls or pushes them fine at slow or fast speed. I can definitely hear the drive wheels spinning when I throttle up quickly but after acceleration it seems fine, not slowing around the curves.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Schelly  
#10 Posted : 27 May 2022 01:44:55(UTC)
Schelly

United States   
Interesting development last night when my Re420 stopped moving. Lights but no motion. I was not able to run it at 9v on my test stand so I took it apart removing the pins and trucks. I found a small bit of plastic flash binding the gears in one truck and removed it. So now it was running again on my test stand but I noticed if one truck was rotated to the stop in one direction it would bind and stop turning. To rephrase the truck would not swing freely to the stop and continue to run in one direction. I took a good look at the truck and on top there is a circular shape molded into the plastic, this is where the pin goes through the top gear. There is a circular shape to the metal chassis that receives it. It was a poor mould I guess, sort of mismatched with a ridge in the molding and more plastic flashing needing to be cut away. So I sanded and carved a bit and got it nice and smooth, no plastic ridges, and on reassembly it swivels smoothly stop to stop without binding. The loco is running well again on the track. So just in case anyone has this happen please take a look at the plastic trucks. I don't know if they are all going to have this mould defect or bits of flashing hanging into the gears, but mine did.
AKA husafreak
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Schelly
CarimMmanZmeDonb
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 30 May 2022 06:00:27(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope you are well.

Glad to hear a bit of investigation lead to a solution others might benefit from. Your alternative might have been to seek repairs and perhaps not have your locomotive for a while.

Thanks for sharing, not certain if quality control is what it used to be. I have never returned a locomotive for warranty repairs. I guess I am lucky.

I have had something get pulled up into my gears before and slow the mechanism. (Usually loose vegetation material). I have to keep my track cleaner but sometimes I am not diligent enough.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline kiwibonds  
#12 Posted : 22 July 2022 12:25:43(UTC)
kiwibonds

New Zealand   
I had this problem a few years ago:

https://zwassen.blogspot...el-issues-marklin-z.html
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwibonds
Offline Schelly  
#13 Posted : 22 July 2022 18:15:17(UTC)
Schelly

United States   
That is it then, as you say "a casting glitch"! And thanks for the pictures.
Mother Marklin does put us to the test doesn't she? It is a shame that owners of these loco's couldn't be notified by the manufacturer of this solution, but then it's all "lawyers, guns, and money". I commend AZL (American Z Lines) for being willing to post problems found and solutions for their line of locos.
Probably a lot of these Re420 locos will languish, "blacklisted" by their owners, or traded on auction sites. Well, if the price is right, more for me...
AKA husafreak
Offline Schelly  
#14 Posted : 22 July 2022 18:25:26(UTC)
Schelly

United States   
Whether readers are interested in this loco or not I am looking forward to reading kiwibonds blogspot linked above, looks like tons of great stuff there!
AKA husafreak