Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bph  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2022 23:24:15(UTC)
bph

Norway   
On my 39027, the original traction tires were a bit uneven
here is a video on how it was before I replaced them: (the roller test stand makes it very visible, but even en on normal track it vas visible.)
https://www.hovland.net/filer/39027_s.mp4

After I replaced them, the driving improved and become normal.

But when I received the new spare traction tires I noticed that the spare traction tires listed by Märklin are quite a bit smaller in comparison to the original ones fitted. So instead, I used E225024 as they are closer in size to the ones originally fitted from the factory.
This picture shows the original compared to Märklin listed spare part E656520.
Traction_rings.jpg

And the new 39491 (DSB E 991) also has the same "jumping" running behaviour, so I'm going to replace the traction tires on that one as well. Ans it sounds like the flange is touching in part of a wheel turn. so that also indicates that the rubber is not above the flange and gripping the track.

Anyone else who has noticed the same uneven traction tires?

And why the difference in size, original vs spare part? possible error?
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2022 00:22:15(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

Anyone else who has noticed the same uneven traction tires?

And why the difference in size, original vs spare part? possible error?

Hello bph,

Yes I have had 2 locomotives with uneven tyres noticed when new.

My 26928 Rheingold set locomotive jumped along the track.
I investigated closely and the tyre had been placed on one wheel in-correctly by the assembler.
It is not easy - you have to use a magnifying glass.
The tyre had rolled at one point on the wheel, just like stationery rubber bands roll when put around an object.
So I straightened it and no more problem.

I had the same problem a few years ago on another loco, but I can't remember which one.
And on that the tyre was also damaged, so I replaced it.
The replacement tyre was a different size as I recall but it went on OK.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2022 18:56:22(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Hello bph,

Yes I have had 2 locomotives with uneven tyres noticed when new.

My 26928 Rheingold set locomotive jumped along the track.
I investigated closely and the tyre had been placed on one wheel in-correctly by the assembler.
It is not easy - you have to use a magnifying glass.
The tyre had rolled at one point on the wheel, just like stationery rubber bands roll when put around an object.
So I straightened it and no more problem.

I had the same problem a few years ago on another loco, but I can't remember which one.
And on that the tyre was also damaged, so I replaced it.
The replacement tyre was a different size as I recall but it went on OK.

Kimball

Thanks for the answer, it got me thinking a bit more Smile

My 39027 traction tires did not have a visible twist/roll, checked that first, but I did not use a magnifying glass. And looking at the original tires does not reveal any obvious fault/damage.

I also notice that several users on stummiforum.de have also reported similar running behaviour with the 39027 and replaced the traction tires.

I tried to swap tires with an IV h, 26922 (listed with the same spare traction tires as 39027), but the traction tires from 39027 did not fit the wheels on the 36922, the rubber was a bit wide so it did not settle properly in the groove, so I abandoned that. and the IV h tire was a bit hard to get on the 39027, and seemed to stretch too thin. That's part of the reason why I decided to try E225024.

Sho could the reason actually be that the original traction tires for the 39027 are slightly too large? causing the traction tire to grip along the edges of the groove and causing an uneven stretch, and subsequently small bumps ?.

I don't have spare tires for the 39491, so I will wait to investigate that properly until I have the spares on hand. It's a bit delicate locomotive, so I will try to minimize its handling of it. I have a propper foam cradle, but it still has the risk of breaking some fragile parts. might take a while.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2022 03:56:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello bph,
Thank you for the appraisals.
My son-in-law in Denmark has a 39491 but has not reported any fault so far.

Mine just arrived and I have not tried it but will report if there is a problem.

Kimball from Brisbane (211mm of rain in 5 days, which is 1/3rd of our yearly allocation. And in other years we can get 5mm of rain in 211 days). Mellow
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
xxupbph
Offline QQQ1970  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2022 00:44:02(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
My SNCF 39243 wheel spins on the track at low speed when pulling Simplon Orient Express on flat track. If I press my finger down the boiler to increase traction then it runs. What could be the issue?
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2022 01:09:03(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
When I lubed a steam loco once I accidentally applied some grease to the traction tires. It had run fine for years and suddenly it just stopped and spun on dead level track. I cleaned the tires and the track where it stalled with isopropyl alcohol and everything ran perfectly again.

It can also happen if the traction tires are not properly in place, are the wrong size or there is any grease or oil on the track.

I have a 39241 and it has never had any traction issues at all, so it is not inherent in the design of the model.

Good luck. These are such beautiful locos. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline foumaro  
#7 Posted : 24 May 2022 11:06:07(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am running 39241 and 39243 locomotives with a combo of ten wagons,42795+42796+42791 without any problem at all.