Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pmgsr  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2022 21:23:46(UTC)
pmgsr

Hi there,

In my come back to my layout (stopped for many many years at the beggining) i found out that there are now m84 and not only k84.
I'm very impressive with the possibilities of m84 for controlling and feedling my lights (with exterior power supply). My question is if it's compatible with CS1? I can't fin any issue unless the mfx compatibilitie because at the time of the last update of CS1 there were only mfx locos.

Thanks.
Pedro.
Pedro Rosa.
Linda-a-Velha / Lisbon, Portugal.
My Layout (Marklin, C-Track, Digital)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pmgsr
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2022 22:12:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Pedro
I am far from being an expert. Here is the little I know:
- the CS1 is MFX-compatible but its version is a bit old (2008 to 2010). Mine has the software version 2.0.4 (Märklin last one after the hardware update 2.0.3 and before the ESU upgrade (which I don't have) and I don't use the CS1 much now as I use a CS3 (60226) with a 5A power supply 60101.
- there seem to be 2 variants of MFX: one for locos and one for devices (such as 60842). On my CS3, there is a different procedure to discover or erase MFX items for locos or for devices. On the 60842 manual MFX is mentioned for CS2 and CS3 but not the CS1. Mine can register locos but I never tried registration of M83 or M84.
- I don't remember seeing MFX things on the CS1 when dealing with accessories (it did not exist at the time) as it appears on the CS3

BUT, the M84 60842 can perfectly be used in MM2 (Motorola) and customized using CVs as per the user's manual.
The M84 is superior to the K84 as it can drive Märklin start-up signal and control locos (2 independent contacts per output), it can also be controlled by an external control terminal ADDITIONAL to the digital control.

Note: the M83 is also special as it can be set to blink or generate various signals (Mars light, random/fire, etc). For a reason I don't know this was explained in the 60831 manual (check Märklin website for download) but not anymore in the newer 60832 version
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline pmgsr  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2022 23:11:11(UTC)
pmgsr

Jean,

Thanks for the excelent reply.

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Pedro
BUT, the M84 60842 can perfectly be used in MM2 (Motorola) and customized using CVs as per the user's manual.
The M84 is superior to the K84 as it can drive Märklin start-up signal and control locos (2 independent contacts per output), it can also be controlled by an external control terminal ADDITIONAL to the digital control.
Note: the M83 is also special as it can be set to blink or generate various signals (Mars light, random/fire, etc). For a reason I don't know this was explained in the 60831 manual (check Märklin website for download) but not anymore in the newer 60832 version
Cheers
Jean

That's exactly my thoughts. I guess that it's much better to buy a m84 now because i will eventually have an CS3 (not so urgent because i use Rocrail a lot more then CS1).
Thanks for the info on the m83 also, i think i already saw those new options also. They're great.

Pedro.

Pedro Rosa.
Linda-a-Velha / Lisbon, Portugal.
My Layout (Marklin, C-Track, Digital)
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2022 01:55:16(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: pmgsr Go to Quoted Post
not so urgent because i use Rocrail a lot more then CS1

Pedro, I know what you mean because I am a big fan of Rocrail
Here is what I do with it Video on Rocrail in control