Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fje  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2022 20:38:10(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hi, once the S88 was solved, now I start to have problems with one of the rotary knob/throttle.

Question then is: Did any one replaced one of the rotary knobs? Is there a reference to search for it? It seems to be a "rotary encoder", but I have been told there are many of them and I was not able to find any external reference of it on it (maybe in the bottom, but I didn't unsoldered it yet)

Additionally, how can the plastic knob be taken out of the rotary axe? It seems to be really very hard to do...

Thanks for any help.

Regards
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2022 00:49:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: fje Go to Quoted Post
Hi, once the S88 was solved, now I start to have problems with one of the rotary knob/throttle.

Question then is: Did any one replaced one of the rotary knobs? Is there a reference to search for it? It seems to be a "rotary encoder", but I have been told there are many of them and I was not able to find any external reference of it on it (maybe in the bottom, but I didn't unsoldered it yet)

Additionally, how can the plastic knob be taken out of the rotary axe? It seems to be really very hard to do...

Thanks for any help.

Regards

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed on this forum before, but BigDaddys commonly requested links thread doesn't list it. I have seen a spare part number for the encoder, but don't think it was on this forum.

after searching my folders I have found what I believe is the data sheet for the encoder used (see attachment), and from my understanding the shaft used by Uhlenbrock is a standard length and form.
04-CI-11v04.pdf (161kb) downloaded 39 time(s).

From memory the one used is the first one listed in the notes just under the block that tells you how to decode the part number. If not then it is the third one.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2022 01:54:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed on this forum before.......

The only reference I can find is H0's comment in a 2014 thread - #56

https://www.marklin-user...ot-complete-system/page2

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Intellibox is also very good. Mine has version 1.55 as I didn't bother (yet) to buy version 2.0. Speed knobs are a bit unreliable, so hardware is not the best (I've heard from others who replaced the speed knob encoders, so I'm not the only one).

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
BigDaddys commonly requested links thread doesn't list it.

I've added a reference to this thread in the Commonly Asked Questions thread.
Offline fje  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2022 07:54:49(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hi, thanks to all of you. Yes, I did a search for "Rotary", "Knob", "encoder" etc, mixed with Intellibox and didn't find it.

The CI-11 reference seems to be a good one.

I also found a thread in the IBX group in groups.io (maybe coming from the old yahoogroup one) that seems to be very helpful and has a reference to the same device, after a recommendation of first do a cleaning of the rotary with contact clean as WD-40.

So, I will do a try to the cleaning and later one, if there is no good result, will look for the CI-11, the remaining question is "which model of the Piher CI-11 to order?. I will send a PM to HO for advice.

Thanks again

Regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fje
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2022 10:33:25(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
If it helps, you could take a look at this thread - https://groups.io/g/IBX/...hrottle_encoder/85036387

They discuss this topic and one of the suggestions made is to clean the encoder, with apparent success, but the essential thing here would be the quality of the cleaning agent you use.

DISCLAIMER - I'm only repeating this here because it's reported to have worked. At the bottom of the discussion mention is made of using WD-40. I would definitely NOT use that because of the residue left behind. You really want a high quality non-residual spray suitable for electronics. Advantage to that is that you need only remove the knob to access the shaft. The encoder is sealed but a quick spray at the axle of the shaft should be sufficient. My personal take on this would be that you have nothing to loose trying this to see if it helps. It's definitely proceed at your own risk. Allow time for the cleaner to evaporate before judging the outcome.

Alternatively, if you wish to attempt repair yourself you can search for a replacement Encoder (image from the group link above)

I have two faulty ones here that are identical to the one shown, they are ALPS brand, but no other markings. Looks like the important details are the number of pulse steps (30), the shaft length and type, and that it includes the push-button for reversing and menu selection.

A further option is repair by Uhlenbrock themselves.... https://www.uhlenbrock.de/de_DE/service/index.htm

And I noted this kit that was listed a while back - https://picclick.fr/Set-...ibox-1-192428140670.html

So there are a few options

RotaryEncoder.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2022 10:37:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: fje Go to Quoted Post
Hi, thanks to all of you. Yes, I did a search for "Rotary", "Knob", "encoder" etc, mixed with Intellibox and didn't find it.

The CI-11 reference seems to be a good one.

I also found a thread in the IBX group in groups.io (maybe coming from the old yahoogroup one) that seems to be very helpful and has a reference to the same device, after a recommendation of first do a cleaning of the rotary with contact clean as WD-40.

So, I will do a try to the cleaning and later one, if there is no good result, will look for the CI-11, the remaining question is "which model of the Piher CI-11 to order?. I will send a PM to HO for advice.

Thanks again

Regards

I just posted a message that I started before being called away to dinner - just finished sending it but see you replied in the interim.

I repeat, I would AVOID WD-40, it has it's uses no doubt, but IMHO it's not suitable for this task due to residue.

Cheers

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline fje  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2022 12:28:01(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Cookee, thanks a lot. Yes, this is exactly the conversation in IBX grooups.io I was referring to. Thanks for your advise. I do have a contact cleaner that "claims" not to have residues, will try it first and, if it doesn't work, nothing is lost, because I will have to replace the encoder anyway.

Thanks again

best regards.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fje
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2022 15:17:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

I have two faulty ones here that are identical to the one shown, they are ALPS brand, but no other markings.

No markings - that's a shame. IIRC it was that IBX thread that put me onto the Piher data sheet that I posted. I have looked for the Piher part on RS, Farnell, etc, but haven't found a source, so may have to wander down the Alps product guide to see what is available that may be equivalent and available.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2022 15:31:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

And I noted this kit that was listed a while back - https://picclick.fr/Set-...ibox-1-192428140670.html

And he still advertises on ebay (although he doesn't seem to have that item listed currently) so it would be worth emailing him to see if he still has the required parts. Nice that he included the plugs to put the case back together.

I found him by looking for Marklin 3796x series locos, for which he currently lists a heap of parts, so you could use 'contact seller' from one of those.