Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2022 00:42:47(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
Hi,
The Marklin 3 rail system, it definitely have it`s advantages but also some drawbacks. Positive - better current conductivity, more points on contact for the locomotive, reverse loops. As drawbacks I would say third rail knobs (which I don`t mind at all), sound and visibility of the slider, and also not compatible with anything else on the market.
The one advantages are the others drawbacks for the Trix system.
Wanted to ask you how much these things really counts for the Marklin system to be better than Trix these days. How much better current conductivity are we talking about, 5 or 100 % percent ?
Points of contacts can be easily fixed now with a capacitor from what I understood.
I`m sure some people experienced both of them, which one do you like more ?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tabacaru.mvlad
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2022 00:56:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: tabacaru.mvlad Go to Quoted Post

Points of contacts can be easily fixed now with a capacitor from what I understood.

Capacitors in digital systems will not fix bad or dirty track. You still need to maintain the track to an acceptable standard. The capacitor modules are really for when it is impossible to maintain good contact, such as a small loco like a Kof or Glaskasten going over a double slip point where it is almost impossible to design a track piece that will always maintain sufficient contact.

As to using two rail or three rail, there are a fair number of manufacturers that make items for use on Marklin three rail systems - Piko, ESU and Roco come to mind immediately, and there are others. But there is certainly a wider selection of locos and rolling stock, along with track systems, for two rail. I would recommend that you decide what you want to model, and what digital system you want to use as the primary deciding factors, along with what you have readily available to you in your country.

Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2022 01:21:46(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
To be honest I think I always preferred Trix System but they have a limited number of locomotives available.
Since I started with Marklin now I have two locomotives and lot of rolling stock, 99% percent I would probably remain with Marklin system, it will be expensive to change now to Trix.
I will never like the sound of the slider, but you can`t have it all. Trix digital is identical to Marklin, best in the market I think.
I plan to do a double track around my living room, on top, near the ceiling, since I don`t have much room to spare with a normal layout. Should be interesting to build :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tabacaru.mvlad
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2022 01:53:12(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello mvlad,

Are you talking about the original Trix 3 rail system (Tris Express made until 1980??), or the models sold now for 2 rail (since 1980??)?.

The Trix 3 rail system conductivity and features was as good as Märklin.
I do not think locomotives are still made for Trix Express 3 rail, but the Märklin factory still produces wagons and coaches for Trix Express in a limited market.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2022 02:34:05(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
Hello,
I`m talking about the new Trix 2 rail Dcc. Trix express have a rail instead of knobs in the middle of the track if I`m correct ?
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2022 09:46:08(UTC)
H0

To be honest I think I always preferred Trix System but they have a limited number of locomotives available.
Trix H0 is compatible with the whole two-rail H0 world and you can use rolling stock from dozens of manufacturers.
It is the Märklin three-rail H0 system that only has limited support from companies beyond Märklin.

Miniatur Wunderland started with Märklin three-rail because they thought it would be more reliable.
For new parts they use two-rail tracks because more rolling stock is available for this system.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2022 12:13:12(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I want to buy some Marklin wagons, and I have the choice to change their wheels free of charge from the retailer. Their version of dc wheels are made especially for Trix, am I right ? In case I choose dc wheels for them I can use them in both Trix and Marklin tracks.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by tabacaru.mvlad
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2022 13:41:56(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Tab, yes, and you can measure the wheels or use the size specs., or charts often given for both a/c and d/c wheels. You can also use Roco wheel sets. They usuall have no problems on C track turnouts.
I guess why Marklin/Trix being under one umbrella offers both? I guess it boils down to prefference. Some may find it easier to make contact track circuits with a two rail system or visa versa? The Marklin S-88 feedback modules are avaialable in both A/C and DC versions.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 25 February 2022 11:57:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
"knobs"

I wondered what you were referring to there for a while. The correct term is "studs" although some folks use the term "pukos" I believe the term 'pukos' is an abbreviation of the German term 'Punktkontakt-System

Sometimes they appear in real life!

274341912_656869872313127_7350085611502297439_n (1).jpg

Depending on which Trix locos you have, you might be able to convert them to 3 rail running. Certainly anything made since about 2005.

In case I choose dc wheels for them I can use them in both Trix and Marklin tracks.

That should be fine unless you want to use the Marklin contact tracks to setup automation and train detection because they rely on the conductivity of the Marklin AC wheelsets to activate.

Edited by user 06 March 2022 03:30:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#10 Posted : 25 February 2022 12:43:11(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
Thank you for telling me, what are studs in real life for ?
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#11 Posted : 05 March 2022 01:50:14(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
Capture.JPG
I played with this Trix layout in Scarm, and I`m not sure if this is working, in my mind I will have reverse polarity at the turnout, am I right ?

Offline vmsysprog  
#12 Posted : 05 March 2022 14:37:27(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
Capture.JPG
I played with this Trix layout in Scarm, and I`m not sure if this is working, in my mind I will have reverse polarity at the turnout, am I right ?

Yes, hence the inherent problem with 2 rail track when it is used to power the lok. Some manufacturers make a “black box” that reverses the polarity when the lok enters that track section. IIRC, Digitrax (not an endorsement) makes such a device.

Steve
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by vmsysprog
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 05 March 2022 19:18:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: vmsysprog Go to Quoted Post
Some manufacturers make a “black box” that reverses the polarity when the lok enters that track section. IIRC, Digitrax (not an endorsement) makes such a device.

Steve

Trix also make such a device. See Trix 66846.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#14 Posted : 05 March 2022 22:13:07(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
Thank you guys, I will check how it works. Definitely 3 Rail System have a big advantage with that middle rail, you don`t have to bother with polarities and potential shorts at turnouts.
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#15 Posted : 06 March 2022 01:52:09(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I ve seen some examples on Youtube, but I only seen the a reverse loop that goes in the same turnout, and the reversed loop is electrically isolated. But in my case, if two turnouts have different polarity, it there a way to make them work with Trix 66846 ? It`s probably a very complicated thing, I figure it`s best to avoid these situations anyway Smile Capture_03.jpgCapture_02.jpg
Offline 60904  
#16 Posted : 21 March 2022 22:50:08(UTC)

Germany   
Thank you for telling me, what are studs in real life for ?

They fix the whole track on the ground. It stops the moving to the side. I wonder why such a foto has nevernbeen in the Märklin catalogue.
Greetings
Martin
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by 60904
Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 22 March 2022 07:51:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My first train set was from Triang. My dad inherited some Maerklin from a colleague who was leaving Canada and heading back to Europe and they left a small assortment with us. At first, I had a choice of a blue NS 1100 with CIWL coaches or a green SBB Re 4/4 with matching coaches. The coach with the opening doors was cool, as were the sliding doors on the baggage car. A few years later, my Dad took the family to Switzerland for a year and I saw the real trains and was hooked.
From then on, I started collecting Swiss trains. Most of the locomotives were for the Maerklin system. Fortunately Maerklin and Hag had a decent selection of Swiss models. Over time, I added coaches and cars from other companies (Liliput, Roco, etc). The cars were either converted for AC or could be used as is. Converting models was more important for coaches like Pilot coaches or if I wanted to install lights in them.

As far as system. There are many companies that make AC models. It can happen that these models exist in limited quantities compared to the original DC versions. Some companies do not make models for AC, especially models of American, UK and other countries where the AC system is not as popular.

The biggest advantage to AC was being able to avoid short circuits on reverse loops and crossings. Today, with digital power, locomotives remember their direction regardless of polarity, so this has made operation on DC layouts easier in terms of loops or crossings. However, it can be problematic if you operate analog DC machines on a layout that is setup with digital operation in mind, as they will have issues with loops and crossings.

At present, I think that I probably have more locomotives than the average Swiss depot (all AC) and mix those with coaches and cars from a wide assortment of companies.

Many people collect Maerklin because it is Maerklin. My passion is Swiss trains. It just happens that I run the Maerklin system.
Other companies have better selection of cars and coaches, but as long as I can run them with my locomotive collection, I am a happy camper.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline phils2um  
#18 Posted : 24 March 2022 00:09:44(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I ve seen some examples on Youtube, but I only seen the a reverse loop that goes in the same turnout, and the reversed loop is electrically isolated. But in my case, if two turnouts have different polarity, it there a way to make them work with Trix 66846 ? It`s probably a very complicated thing, I figure it`s best to avoid these situations anyway Smile Capture_03.jpgCapture_02.jpg

It can be done with a single reverse-loop module but is very tricky. In two-rail systems with reverse-loop modules the track segment(s) that reverse polarity must be at least the length of the longest train if metal wheelsets are used on the wagons. Otherwise, a train that bridges the reversing segment will likely cause a short circuit. The best solution for the particular track configuration you have drawn uses two reverse-loop modules. All this assumes you are using digital control (DCC, or mfx). It is much more complicated to automate the polarity switching with analog control!

Capture.JPG
Phil S.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#19 Posted : 16 April 2022 11:58:51(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I bought a starter set from Trix and an extension track pack because I wanted to test both system before fully commit to Marklin. I was surprised to the power reduction of DC compared to the AC. With Marklin a have a big double track layout, and with Trix I can do only this. I think it`s more then 60% reduction of current flow, did not expected this.
Capture.JPG
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#20 Posted : 17 April 2022 01:29:28(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I also received new lines, and 6 straight pieces not work. My locomotive it`s not getting any current from them, and I don`t understand why, they look fine, a cleaned them with a rag, the same . Anyone have a clue ? Thank you
IMG_20220417_020933.jpg
IMG_20220417_021003.jpg
Offline rbw993  
#21 Posted : 17 April 2022 13:22:51(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
They look like Trix track. There is no center rail. So if you are running Marklin they won't work.

You may just need more feeders to operate with 2 rail power. Marklin has essentially double the power transmission capacity in the track.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Copenhagen  
#22 Posted : 17 April 2022 13:26:03(UTC)
Copenhagen

I have no experience with Trix track (I use C track which have a good current connection).
It sounds strange when you write that you have a reduction of current flow on such a small assembly that the oval is? It is recommended that we use feeder wires to get power all around the track on larger layouts, maybe for every two or three meters. There must be a poor connection somewhere (maybe several places). The Marklin system usually ensures good connectivity between each track piece but it's possible that there are some contact points that have to be checked: they could be out of shape or they could need to be wiped clean. Even if they are brand new things might happen after many years in storage.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#23 Posted : 17 April 2022 13:47:12(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
It`s Trix C track and I run them on Trix system. Thank you, I will try to wipe them with isopropyl alcohol. The connection between tracks looks good, they definitely touch each other from what I can see. Yup, I was amazed as well as the power reduction, if I add more tracks ( which works ) on that small layout the locomotive it`s not running on them, looks like no current flow. My Marklin layout it`s triple that size, with just one feeder point and works fine.
The contact looks fine, i will to clean the tracks and contact points very good. Even if I feed the wires directly into there pieces they don`t work, so it`s something with them that I want to figure it out. Thank you for the responses.
IMG_20220417_144042.jpg

Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#24 Posted : 25 April 2022 10:52:28(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I tested my Trix locomotive and the contact at low speeds it s much weaker, even with the tracks cleaned it can stop randomly. I'm convinced now that the marklin 3 rails system it s much better for me in regards to reliability and current conducting.

Edited by user 25 April 2022 15:35:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Copenhagen  
#25 Posted : 25 April 2022 16:44:25(UTC)
Copenhagen

I tested my Trix locomotive and the contact at low speeds it s much weaker, even with the tracks cleaned it can stop randomly. I'm convinced now that the marklin 3 rails system it s much better for me in regards to reliability and current conducting.

I'm a member of a Danish forum where there is a Maerklin expert. He also uses the Maerklin Trix system. Last week I tried to put a link to this thread in the forum to have him take a look at it but I couldn't get the link to work using my iPad. So I'll try on my PC later on. There shouldn't be this big difference between Maerklin 3 track and 2 track.
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 25 April 2022 17:15:10(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
There shouldn't be this big difference between Maerklin 3 track and 2 track.
With Märklin C Track there are four connectors between two pieces of track, with Trix C Track there are only two.
The rails have different material and different dimensions. I didn't check the impedances of steel and nickel silver yet.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#27 Posted : 25 April 2022 17:32:00(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
It is, big difference in connection between a locomotive and tracks from my test. With Marklin I can run locomotives super smooth at low speeds, with Trix there is always a possibility for the locomotive to stop and to lose contact. That is in my case. Also the Marklin track conduct 60% more current than the Trix from what I tested. For me these are very important facts, and I definitely prefer Marklin now. Thank you all for advices and answers, with your help and my tests I reached to a conclusion.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#28 Posted : 25 April 2022 19:30:38(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I have Marklin trains but I used to buy used Trix locos, the same models were available new, more expensive, in the Marklin range.
It was easy to replace the pickup contacts for Trix with a slider for Marklin. The only two rail tracks I ever used were the Flieschmann profi.
Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline Copenhagen  
#29 Posted : 25 April 2022 23:21:46(UTC)
Copenhagen

The answers from the Danish forum is that Trix can perform just as well as Märklin C track if it is set up correctly with a well working power supply, good track connections and a well working lcomotive.
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#30 Posted : 26 April 2022 08:30:18(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
Maybe my Trix locomotive have weak power connection with the tracks, it s a small steam locomotive with just 4 powered axles. In my case it s definitely not the same with Trix as with Marklin. I also have a 4 axle Marklin locomotive, and combined with the slider it never lose contact with the tracks, never stops.

Edited by user 26 April 2022 16:18:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline marklinist5999  
#31 Posted : 26 April 2022 15:47:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
This can occur, and has for myself as well. Especially with a cold Loc. not been run in a while. I just nudge it sideways until it runs, then let it warm up and it usually runs well after.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Goofy  
#32 Posted : 26 April 2022 18:41:59(UTC)
Goofy

Even to drive Märklin on the three trail tracks there is cons about contact on the rail.
Both two and three rail there is always bad contacts too.
Depends if you are clever to work by clean the tracks from the grease of dust and oil.
Yes even locomotives leaves rubber shit on the rail which makes worse contact between locomotives and the rail.
Märklin provide by self by sell a clean wagon which i use on the K-tracks to make sure no fail about contact on the rail for the locomotives and wagons with lighting onboard.
The more train set you use on the layout, the more dirt it appears on the rail and the wheels too.
I don´t agree that Märklin are better than two rail when it´s easier to clean the rail on the two rail.
I have seen and tested between Märklin tracks versus two rail track system like Peco and Tillig Elite.
In fact does Peco works best to have maximal good contact between locomotive and the rail.
I post here a picture of Märklin clean wagon.
DSC_0010.JPG
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#33 Posted : 26 April 2022 23:17:56(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I have tested Trix after a very good cleaning of the tracks. I have this wagon, but I also cleaned the tracks better with a clean piece of cloth. Maybe it`s my locomotive, but I surely was not impressed by it. Now I like Marklin 3 rail system more than ever BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tabacaru.mvlad
Offline Copenhagen  
#34 Posted : 27 April 2022 02:20:59(UTC)
Copenhagen

Just because the dirt is black it doesn't mean that there is a lot of rubber dirt in it. If it was the case we'd have to change traction tires much more often. Just my thought.
Offline Goofy  
#35 Posted : 27 April 2022 05:47:30(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
Just because the dirt is black it doesn't mean that there is a lot of rubber dirt in it. If it was the case we'd have to change traction tires much more often. Just my thought.

Small thin rubber tire are easily to warm up while the locomotives drive.
In a room temperatur and under hot summer days it quicks stick rubber dirt on the rail.
The more locomotives with the tires the more rubber dirt on the rail.
That´s way you must clean your track often to make sure you have good contact on the rail with your locomotives.
Digital are sensible more than analog.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#36 Posted : 16 June 2022 02:00:47(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I have to come back to this topic, I bought myself a control lamp since my Trix locomotive ran so unreliable, and I found out that I have 14 defective rails. So it was not the system "dc loss of power" it was just defective rails. Since I removed them I can make a quite big layout with no problems, runs very good now. It`s a shame that I had that experience from the start with Trix and I decided to go with Marklin, but I think Marklin it`s better anyway, more points of contact, more reliable. I made a video if someone it`s curios about the problem. I also had a short on one rail, so I did this

httpswe.tlt-KgHZ8SkntY

IMG_20220615_192818.jpg
Offline mvd71  
#37 Posted : 16 June 2022 02:11:53(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I would suggest going with the Märklin track, and convert your Trix locos to Märklin. This will solve most problems you are having.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#38 Posted : 16 June 2022 03:08:50(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
Is it possible to convert Trix rail to Marklin rail? I don't have the center rail, is it possible to buy it separately?
Offline mvd71  
#39 Posted : 16 June 2022 11:42:19(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Is it possible to convert Trix rail to Marklin rail? I don't have the center rail, is it possible to buy it separately?

Would be a lot easier to just sell the Trix rail on eBay and buy the Märklin c track
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline kiwiAlan  
#40 Posted : 16 June 2022 12:58:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I have to come back to this topic, I bought myself a control lamp since my Trix locomotive ran so unreliable, and I found out that I have 14 defective rails. So it was not the system "dc loss of power" it was just defective rails. Since I removed them I can make a quite big layout with no problems, runs very good now. It`s a shame that I had that experience from the start with Trix and I decided to go with Marklin, but I think Marklin it`s better anyway, more points of contact, more reliable. I made a video if someone it`s curios about the problem. I also had a short on one rail, so I did this

httpswe.tlt-KgHZ8SkntY

IMG_20220615_192818.jpg

That looks like Marklin used the wrong parts when manufacturing the track, using the Marklin part for the connection instead of the two Trix parts that are required, hence the short.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#41 Posted : 16 June 2022 18:09:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
That looks like Marklin used the wrong parts when manufacturing the track, using the Marklin part for the connection instead of the two Trix parts that are required, hence the short.
No, they used the correct part, but forgot to cut the bridge. We see the same level of quality (assurance) with all their products.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#42 Posted : 16 June 2022 18:14:58(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
It was cut, but to close and they made contact. I would made two cuts and remove a small portion of that metal, but probably that cost a lot for thousands of items.
Offline LocoLynk  
#43 Posted : 20 June 2022 21:43:16(UTC)
LocoLynk

United States   
Just my 2 cents, I run Märklin but recently got some Trix track as is looks close enough to the Marklin C track and follows the same geometry that I am so familiar with. My plan is to run a loop or 2, of 2 rail track alongside my Marklin so that I can run totally different type of equipment (mostly more modern US types and some Hornby locos)…as my “layout” is temporary and non-prototypical I love mixing different railroads even from different countries together…
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by LocoLynk