Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2022 16:41:52(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
From what I see on most « how to » channels, you first paint your tracks and then clean the top with what ever methods they like to use.

I was thinking that it would save time and aggravation in the futur since you could scratch the track c;earning them, to use a narrow masking tape on the top side of the track to protect it.

Anyone tried this before, any down side to it?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2022 16:43:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
From what I see on most « how to » channels, you first paint your tracks and then clean the top with what ever methods they like to use.

I was thinking that it would save time and aggravation in the futur since you could scratch the track c;earning them, to use a narrow masking tape on the top side of the track to protect it.

Anyone tried this before, any down side to it?

I suspect the time involved in applying the masking tape would outweigh the time required for cleaning.

Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2022 12:02:09(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I just ran a finger inside a cloth on top of the rail, immediatly after painting it. -While the paint is still wet. So easy and fast.
If the paint is beginning to dry, then a wooden block inside the cloth instead of the finger, will also do the trick.
I painted the whole shebang with an airbrush.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2022 12:30:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi
Everyone its method. I use acrylic paint to cover the side of the rails. The excess paint on top of the rails is removed using a rubber (eraser like Staeddler) or a tissue.
Abrasive is not to be used excess in grade 1000 or 1500 water abrasive. Otherwise, it creates small grooves that help dirt to stick to the rail. Masking tape or adhesive, leave a residue that is helping to collect dirt.
Jean
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2022 12:41:15(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
The Staedtler eraser seems like a good idea for a non abrasive way.

Specific dedicated track cleaning eraser, Wallthers and others, get mixed reviews as to the non abrasive nature of them.

I was thinking of using 99% isopropyl alcool to remove any glue left behind by masking tape but the Staedtler eraser might be less work.
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2022 12:42:49(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
I just ran a finger inside a cloth on top of the rail, immediatly after painting it. -While the paint is still wet. So easy and fast.
If the paint is beginning to dry, then a wooden block inside the cloth instead of the finger, will also do the trick.

Now this is what I was looking for since I was planning to use an airbrush too. If I am too slow I will use the Staedtler eraser.
Offline CYHU  
#7 Posted : 25 February 2022 19:05:16(UTC)
CYHU

Canada   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

Now this is what I was looking for since I was planning to use an airbrush too. If I am too slow I will use the Staedtler eraser.

I also clean rails with a cloth just after applying paint. But, at the end of the whole weathering process, I use a contact cleaner abrasive block.

UserPostedImage

More information (in French) on my website.Cool

Pierre.

Offline Puttputtmaru  
#8 Posted : 25 February 2022 21:42:58(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Quote:
I use a contact cleaner abrasive block.

That is what I want to get away from. The idea of the Staedtler eraser seems less abrasive
Offline Dave Banks  
#9 Posted : 27 February 2022 00:11:06(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

I did every track by hand using a N0.1 paint brush & Humbrol "Matt 113" & wiped the top rail with thinners afterwards. Painting was done by holding the track upside down in the hand & painting it. It took months & many friends had a paint brush put in their hands when visiting OhMyGod
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks