Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grnwtrs  
#51 Posted : 24 January 2022 02:14:43(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I found this 1972 catalog on Z world if you find it interesting. It shows the original locomotive releases, wagons and track etc.

http://www.z-world.com/c...s/pdfs/1972-brochure.pdf

I wonder if Boyd Models is still in business.

Take good care.
LOL
Dwight

I thought Boyds Models was a California outfit connected with (somehow) with Marklin.
Anyway when I started in 1968, never knew exactly where they were located, other than Los Angles ca.

I started buying in local hobby shops in Berkeley CA, and Oakland ca., sometimes in San Francisco.
not many shops around then for retail.

Mid 1970's got a issue of ModelRailroader and saw a ad for Marklin in Germany.
The ad turned out to be for Matschke.de. now a leader in hobby shops.
Stayed with Matschke for 10 years, left because of them shipping a Euro car of 35.00 with frt of 15.oo euro!

Matschke not bad, all dealers will do the same. They are ruthless when the time comes. either suck it up (I won't) or
find another Dealer. I did. I went to Schweickert. LOL

Enjoy the price changes have hit!!

Regards, gene

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Zme
Offline Zme  
#52 Posted : 25 January 2022 02:24:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone. Hope all is well.

I located a z catalog which includes the introduction of the Railbus!

Check this link:

http://www.z220.org/catalogs/marklin73/index.shtml

The Railbus model has been in the Z Scale Marklin product line for a long time. I agree, everyone should have at least one in their collection.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#53 Posted : 25 January 2022 17:53:10(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks for the links guys, I’ve really enjoyed looking at these old catalogs!
Offline husafreak  
#54 Posted : 25 January 2022 17:58:35(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I think the best thing Märklin could have done for this 50 year anniversary is a book or something going back through the years. Maybe the bankruptcy made it so that they cannot display this old material. They are certainly proud of their fifty year achievement but they don’t seem to archive any of it. These old catalogs are just the ticket.
Offline Zme  
#55 Posted : 25 January 2022 18:37:05(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, Hope all is well.

You are right, the old catalogs are great viewing. From 1972 until 1984, the Mini Club line was incorporated into the HO Marklin catalog. From 84 on, the Mini Club line had its own catalog and these are the ones more difficult to find.

Here is a link which has the regular Markin catalogs:

https://dermodellbahnblo...atalog-pdf-download.html

Sometimes the Mini Club items are listed at the front, but most often, these items are listed more towards the back of the catalog.

Browse as you wish, enjoy! I will see if I can locate the separate Mini Club catalogs someplace, but cannot guarantee I will find them.

Take good care.

Dwight

Offline kiwiAlan  
#56 Posted : 25 January 2022 20:35:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
I think the best thing Märklin could have done for this 50 year anniversary is a book or something going back through the years.

Well, they announced a book about 50 years of Miniclub in the 2022 new items brochure - but (at the moment) it is only in German. Maybe if all Z scalers wrote to Herr Sieber you could convince them to release it in other languages in the summer or autumn NI brochures.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline husafreak  
#57 Posted : 25 January 2022 22:35:19(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Worth a try!
Offline Zme  
#58 Posted : 27 January 2022 23:08:47(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

I have been checking out the catalog achieve, and I also find it very interesting. The various models, track, and buildings show a very dedicated approach to the Z Scale gauge which we should not overlook. There have been many innovations since the introduction back in 1972. I might be wrong, but it does not seem possible the gauge would be abandoned any time soon.

One thing I would like to point out when I looked over their old catalogs: When a new model is released, say the BR216 in red and grey. In a few years, this same 216 model was announced in blue and tan livery. Just think about the BR 110. Perhaps no other model has so many color releases than this one. It can be had in green, blue with a silver roof, another with a roof with the same blue color. The latest release of this blue model has a red and white DB logo on the side. There is also a red one with a white nose and those used for airport service and an early release with the orange stripe on it. I believe the many colors available reflect the actual color variations used on the DB. One thing about the DB is that there seems to be a never-ending development of improved models and Z models are released to reflect these improvements. Look at the Ludmilla BR 232, there must be five or six colored models and eras reflected already.

My point is, the DB has many dozens of models which are released and used in different settings, different ERS and have different colors. Is it wrong for Markin to release Z Scale models to reflect this? I believe the customers would want these modeled. What is wrong if the new colors come out, seemingly year after year, when perhaps another model seems neglected? I never thought the ICE would come out with four different versions, but I would not like to miss an opportunity to get one added to my collection.
This year, it seems the Hectorrail BR 151 will be released with the new motor. To an individual who collects the BR 151 models, this might be a welcome addition. Who knows how many Privately owned BR 151s will be released? Anyone interested in this model doesn't care, bring them on.

I appreciate how Marklin Z is marketed. I am certain other Marklin scales are produced using the same methods. Not sure of other manufacturers, but I bet they do the same thing. We just notice it more when looking at Z because there is essential only one consistent large quantity producer. I admit I make jest of the Railbus, and a red railbus seems redundant, but I would not want to miss out on this model. Yes, Z is expensive and sometimes we need a break between model releases, so we can afford to purchase the next one. It is a bit disappointing when another red railbus is released for what will be three red railbus variations in a row. Honestly, I think I would not want it any other way.

Just my opinion.

Take good care.

Dwight

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline wildstix  
#59 Posted : 07 February 2022 05:34:49(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Hey beautiful people in the mini world, happy 50th living in it!!!!
I made a simple video to celebrate it and I've shared it in the facebook page, check it out here

If you are not in the facebook realm, I also put it here

This forum lacks feature to put video, so if you are not in both environments above, well...happy 50th!!!! 😁🎂🎊🎉
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wildstix
Zme
Offline Zme  
#60 Posted : 07 February 2022 06:13:35(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Thanks for the post. That ICE looks great. You have a nice variety in your collection.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Fluegelmeister  
#61 Posted : 17 February 2022 02:50:05(UTC)
Fluegelmeister

United States   
My father made me a 8910 Toporama when I was about 12 years old. I destroyed it and then held onto it for about 40 years though high school, college two wives and four moves. I decided to restore it and finished it last year, meaning to give it back to my father but he died just before I finished it. Fortunately I did a bunch of youtube videos so he could watch me work on it. It's been a fun journey and the highlight was sharing it at the Amherst train show last month. It is fantastically reliable.
Offline Zme  
#62 Posted : 17 February 2022 07:13:03(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well.

Appreciate your input, it is amazing how a spark of interest in model trains can slowly build into a lifetime of interest and enjoyment. My father also got me going and I am proud to say I still have the original locomotive he got me at a young age. No it was not Z scale, but served as an inspiration for me. Z just happened to make more sense, when I learned about it. I am sure others have had the same experience.

I watched and enjoyed all of the videos on your build. Great job and amazing finished layout. I especially liked your electronic controls. Your father would be proud.

Take good care

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#63 Posted : 05 March 2022 01:06:04(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone.

Came across this short early Marklin Mini Club advertising video, you might like to check out.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme