Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zme  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2022 07:24:49(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone hope all is well.

A noteworthy reminder, Marklin Mini Club was released in 1972. This year marks the 50th year since the beginning of our hobby. We can likely expect to see some special items or events to recognize this significant time. Trainini has developed a special logo to mark this year. Take a look at it on their home page, you can even download it if you want.

It is truly amazing to think of all the different innovations and items which have been developed in support of this model railroading scalar. What was it which made you decide to make Mini Club your hobby?

I remember an article in Model Railroader magazine somewhere around 1986 or so, which showed a z scale train layout which was in the shape of a pedestal and the train would run from the mountain setting to a desert setting and an industrial area as it circled around. This article turned into an entire series of articles which documented the concept and making of this evolutionary z scale layout. This series was inspiring to me because so much detail and variety could be packed into such a small space. I liked the small scale because the z scale items were small and could be packed and moved easily and at the time this was an important consideration. It is interesting to note, sometimes you can find these magazines for sale on eBay if you are interested. The mid 80s was the time I started my hobby.

I was living in Goeppingen at the time so had access to the Marklin factory and museum and seeing the z scale train running around a huge modern layout was truly a sight to see. I think this was when the z scale steam locomotive was setting some kind of record for the longest continuous run, or something like that. The layout was modern because acrylics was all that was used. No houses or trees in the conventional sense, but it was still interesting as I had never seen model trains this small before, yet there it was going around and around. This was an early time for the museum and unfortunately there were no direct sales from the factory, unless you knew someone who worked there. Fortunately, a person I worked with did know someone and the first set purchased directly from the factory was the large #8158 set. Lots of track, switches and a BR74 locomotive with about five wagons. It was a great start. Still have that complete set.

It has been an interesting and exciting experience and I find z scale a calming and enjoyable hobby ever since.(especially now) Taking time to operate the trains is to me like taking a trip to Germany without leaving the house. Or going to another time period when a steam engine is on the track. Having this forum of like minded hobbyist only enhances the hobby and adding the internet has also made monthly publications like Trainini such a valuable and inspiring aid for all of us.

I went out on a limb here and spilled my guts in a sense and I could go on and on, but I won’t. It is your turn to share if you want. It is surprising how many z scale items can be accumulated over a number of decades of steady interest. Maybe you have that special item, perhaps few other have, or you took an interesting trip which by the way included a Z scale purchase. What is your story. Others may find your story interesting, but remember no brag, just facts.

Take good care. I look forward to anyones contribution.

Dwight
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2022 09:07:44(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I had no interest in trains, but in 1986 while in Germany seeing relatives in Radolfzell, by accident saw the quality of these trains in a shop. That's when the slippery slope began!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Bahner  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2022 13:16:28(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
When very young I vaguely remember seeing a Z scale setup in a retail store during one of our infrequent family trips to Germany. Although my father was more interested in N scale, the uniqueness of the tiny Z setup had me thinking "I wonder if I can create a Z scale layout one day, too?". And so here I am 50+ years later trying to complete my first Z layout while I can still see the small details well enough.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahner
Zme
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2022 14:15:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone hope all is well.

A noteworthy reminder, Marklin Mini Club was released in 1972. This year marks the 50th year since the beginning of our hobby. We can likely expect to see some special items or events to recognize this significant time.

Dwight,

I would be expecting a model of the marklineum Br44 which has so far only been released in H0. I suspect that marklin would make this a 50 years of Z loco, complete with the same CD that comes with the H0 loco, and probably in a suitable wooden case, so probably not cheap, but a 'must have'.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Zme
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2022 16:12:54(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
I have a small z scale set set up on my desk. I received a Christmas set for Christmas 2015 and then when in München in summer 2016 I purchased a BR 41 from a Märklin store near the top of a München mall. I'll have to post some more photos but I've attached one from running both trains around Christmas this year. I'm interested to see some of your z scale stuff. Does anyone have any photos of the acrylic layout in Göppingen?

IMG_20211227_014953820.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by AmalfiCoast
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2022 16:14:25(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Sorry about the photo being sideways. How can it turn the photo right side up?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AmalfiCoast
Zme
Offline LeoArietis  
#7 Posted : 04 January 2022 17:40:01(UTC)
LeoArietis

Sweden   
Wouldn't a fitting 50-year present be announcing going digital for the z-scale?

Happy 50 anniversary!
Current layout:
http://www.svensktmjforu.../index.php?topic=10990.0
The former project:
http://www.svensktmjforu...forum_posts.asp?TID=1097
With Pictures and trackplans, but in Swedish
Transitation-curves in C-track:
https://www.marklin-user...9-on-75-cm.aspx#post9281
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by LeoArietis
Offline Mman  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2022 18:24:00(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I discovered Märklin H0 in the 1990s and steadily built up a large (ish) collection by making frequent trips to Ford. On each visit I noticed that they always had far more Z than H0. Frustrated by not being able to get the H0 items I wanted and with my children’s waning interest in model railways I made the switch. One source of used Märklin in another town, from whom I had bought much H0, one day had an unused large freight starter set in Z (81862) which he had got from someone who had enthusiastically bought it and found that his eyesight wasn’t good enough. Around the same time I bought a ‘fun’ set 00815 which had one (class 89) loco and one wagon, an oblong of track and a battery holder. Then, suddenly, the supply of Z dried up, the shop manager said that Märklin had cleared its warehouse of Z at the time after the company had changed hands but the UK didn’t get a look in at this bargain bonanza. I started buying from shops that had some Z whether I needed the stuff or not at the time and later buying up lots from eBay including a small and large cased Noch layouts.
So now I have far more track, locos, wagons, coaches, buildings, signals and relays than I could ever use at one time - I have become a collector and take pleasure in having these superb models as well as running them and always look forward with anticipation to the next new releases should Märklin deign to supply the UK with them.
I am hoping for great things in this 50th year.
ChrisG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mman
ZmeDonb
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 04 January 2022 18:39:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, thank you for your input.

First of all, I need to let you know, in my opinion the best way to commemorate 50 years of Z, is a special railbus, this time not the red ones. Perhaps one representing a small regional line with a different colored paint scheme and an appropriate side panel. I realize this will not happen since there have been new railbus releases seemingly year after year recently.

I know I am mixing Eras here but here is a shot of the East side of my layout. I am still learning about photo posting too, they seldom are presented the way I expect.

UserPostedImage

Quote:
by accident saw the quality of these trains in a shop. That's when the slippery slope began! (and)

the uniqueness of the tiny Z setup had me thinking "I wonder if I can create a Z scale layout one day, too?"

I agree, just seeing these small little trains for the first time, really grabs you. So small and still operational, it is almost hard to believe. Great detail and more powerful than ever. And just think how many other related businesses, suppliers and new innovations sprang from this concept in miniature.

Quote:
Referring to BR 44 which is on display outside the museum. I suspect that marklin would make this a 50 years of Z loco, complete with the same CD that comes with the H0 loco, and probably in a suitable wooden case, so probably not cheap, but a 'must have'.

I agree, if there is such an outstanding locomotive out front, I should be able to take one home too. In all scales. Especially in the packaging described, but please see my comments about the railbus above. I am just saying . . . Seriously, I think it should be logical that a BR44 be produced in all scales that Marklin has. Seems it would make a great heavyweight addition to their product line. Particularly in Z.

Quote:
does anyone have any photos of the acrylic layout in Göppingen?

I believe this layout was used for a theme for one of their z scale catalogs about the mid to late 80s.

Yes, I think we will get a digital model soon as long as it also works in analog too. For we who lag behind.

Thank you all. Appreciate it.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 04 January 2022 21:48:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Quote:
Referring to BR 44 which is on display outside the museum. I suspect that marklin would make this a 50 years of Z loco, complete with the same CD that comes with the H0 loco, and probably in a suitable wooden case, so probably not cheap, but a 'must have'.

I agree, if there is such an outstanding locomotive out front, I should be able to take one home too. In all scales. Especially in the packaging described, but please see my comments about the railbus above. I am just saying . . . Seriously, I think it should be logical that a BR44 be produced in all scales that Marklin has. Seems it would make a great heavyweight addition to their product line. Particularly in Z.

Oh, I'm sure every Z model in the NI brochure will have a '50 years of Z' label on the box, I suspect there will also be at least one wagon in H0 will have a suitable decoration to mark the event as well - how about a glass tanker with a Br89 inside as a nod to the light bulb they did in the early days.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 05 January 2022 01:03:34(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

You are right. I have a few packages with the 40 years of Mini Club logo. We should expect to see a similar marker.

A Br89 was one of the first locomotives released and was a major advertising tool for them. What about one in gold!?

Thanks

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2022 04:30:39(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Nice idea Zme, I would like to contribute.
A little less than 3 years ago I decided it would be fun to build a "coffee table layout". I had no experience with model trains of any kind (since my uncle Bob gave me a Lionel set as a kid, probably about 50 years ago)... My research led me to the NOCH Cortina layout and the various Z scale forums. I started to realize how expensive this would be and waited for a big train show in my area so I could see the various scales and layouts with my own eyes. I decided at the show that the BAZBoys Z scale layout was absolutely the most realistic to my eyes. It looked amazing to me me, something about the scale was captivating, anything larger looked toylike to me. Hard to describe really. Maybe I just love a birds eye view. I have one friend who is into trains big time and has a dedicated room, he tried to convince me that Z was a flawed scale without much product support but that did not deter me. I decided to go for it. So I found a helpful shop in the form of Z Scale Hobo and started buying stuff. I still have my unfinished NOCH Cortina and all the track for it. But up until now I have focused on the aspects of the hobby that fascinate me now. Collecting Z scale trains and building Z scale structures. Hanging out on the forums and figuring out how to keep my loco's running. I absolutely love being a Z scale mechanic. Besides my Marklin Z stuff I have some American trains and operate them on DCC which is another fascinating and involved aspect of the hobby. I do enjoy running my trains and switching and marshaling them but I do it on a test type track, it is fascinating for me to watch them go if a bit child like! A beautiful and realistic layout is my "pie in the sky" but I also realize now how much effort it will be to get the scenery and track looking scale like. So for now I stick with small challenges and projects that I can do in smaller chunks of time. It is hard for me to believe that these trains have been available for 50 years. But I'm glad to have finally joined the party.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#13 Posted : 05 January 2022 06:24:04(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, thanks for your input. I also like that Cortina layout. It is so well planned and designed it is a perfect starting point. This past year, I also became a bit more focused on the collecting aspect and managed to pick up some items which are perhaps rare.

I can appreciate the intriguing aspects of model building. With the fantastic laser cut structures, now available, they are like putting a puzzle together, but keeping it permanently. They are such a challenge and the results are spectacular and really make a layout. It is just like building your own world with everything that you want. I too have accumulated a number of structures for a layout expansion, or perhaps I will put a few together because they are just plain fun to do.

I also have enjoyed learning the maintenance and repair aspect of our hobby too. This is one thing you seldom hear someone mention as something to actually enjoy. It can be a challenge or just a simple routine but it is what I would (perhaps wrongly) equate to old watch repair. This is another puzzle, which provides ultimate satisfaction or frustration and hopefully temporary failure. When you get an old locomotive, perhaps nearly 50 years old working again, it is so special. It confirms your knowledge and skill in disassembling something and putting it back together correctly. Seeing an old locomotive that someone gave up on working around a layout after your efforts is like taking a victory lap it is so exhilarating.

There are so many facets to our hobby, perhaps some taken for granted. Perhaps this is what makes it so darn enjoyable,

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#14 Posted : 07 January 2022 22:58:10(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I've been interested in model trains since quite an early age, but especially the smaller scales. I was quite charmed with N gauge when I first became aware of it back in the early 70s, I suppose. I guess it was the promise of quality engineering (never realised in the Lima models that were all I could afford) but the toy-like quality of smaller scales has a charm of its own. For me this even extends to the couplers - the N gauge "Rapido" couplers and Marklin's Z equivalent invoke certain charisma for me in their own right.

With my liking for small scales it was inevitable that I'd be drawn to Z and I remember planning layouts in the mid 70's - forever out of reach of my very limited budget. I remember becoming frustrated, even with N gauge, that the impossibly tight curves could never look close to realistic and I think this was another reason that Z scale appealed - the possibility of building a model with something approaching prototypical radii.

I gave up modelling for 30 odd years, pursuing other interests in music and drinking, though I'd always have a look in a model shop window if I was passing one and would flick through the magazines whenever I was in a newsagent's shop.

The renaissance for me was made possible by a new relationship, a new house and a holiday to Sóller in Mallorca. I was absolutely bowled over by its line to Palma. The way it climbs the mountainside passing through countless tunnels and over bridges and an impressive viaduct is delightful and an absolute gift to the modeller. Before I'd even got home, I'd started thinking about what might be feasible by way of a model and it was a forgone conclusion that whatever it was would be in Z scale! Luckily, my budgetary restrictions are nowhere near as tight now, and Marklin is within my reach, so I've been able to be a bit more indulgent this time round.

It's been a fascinating journey - lots of mistakes, but some gratifying successes and I'm pretty pleased with how Sóller has turned out. The layout was featured in one of the UK magazines and has received some complementary comments on the few occasions I've exhibited it. Building it has certainly kept me occupied and engaged and has been the perfect antidote to a stressful work situation on many occasions! In the back of my mind I have another, more ambitious, layout brewing and I seem already to have started collecting rolling stock for that. Perhaps one day it will see the light of day!

In case anyone is interested, there is some video of the layout in operation on it's latest outing : Epping Railway Circle Exhibition 2021

Hope this is of interest, all the best

Chris

Edited by user 08 January 2022 13:41:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
ZmeDonb
Offline Zme  
#15 Posted : 08 January 2022 00:38:33(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, great comments. I think it highlights some of the experiences we all have had with the hobby. I always thought HO was the way to go but quickly discovered how much space it takes up. I even bought the Tony Tiger train set off the back of my dry cereal box.

After seeing z scale, I knew it would work best, and fit right in. A steady collection of running gear and scenery ensued and as many of us have experienced, work got in the way a bit. I am glad I started when I did because there seems to be a steady price increase year after year. I remember being able to pick up an unboxed or wrong box wagon for less than $5 and shipping was about $4. Yes those days are long gone. Without work, I would not have have been able to make it. It is certainly a marathon and not a dash to the finish line. But actually, I don’t think we ever finish, but have an expansion or modification in mind and might carry it around with us waiting to act.

I think I have seen your Soller layout before and my opinion remains the same. Exceptional and I gotta love those trees. That railbus looks fantastic too. A 74 will climb if only it were as heavy as a 94. Don’t the kids really love it too. Maybe we are all just a bunch of big kids.

Take good care. Thanks

Dwight

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#16 Posted : 08 January 2022 13:40:18(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I am glad I started when I did because there seems to be a steady price increase year after year. I remember being able to pick up an unboxed or wrong box wagon for less than $5 and shipping was about $4.

Doubly so here - the UK having left EU the Pound has lost ground to the Euro and buying direct from Germany is no longer straightforward and tax (and stress) free. I'm happy to support our UK distributor by buying from them (especially locomotives which seem often to require a return visit) but I do flinch a bit at having to pay 50% or more on top of the price I'd pay in Germany.

Quote:
Yes those days are long gone. Without work, I would not have have been able to make it. It is certainly a marathon and not a dash to the finish line. But actually, I don’t think we ever finish, but have an expansion or modification in mind and might carry it around with us waiting to act.

I have to say I proceeded very gingerly until I was confident things would work to my satisfaction and that I wouldn't lose interest part way through!

Quote:
I think I have seen your Soller layout before and my opinion remains the same.

Yes, I'm sorry - I can be a championship self-publicist!

Quote:
I gotta love those trees.

Forgive me if I've been through this before, but the trees were definitely not something I was willing to spend a lot of money on, given the quantity I needed, so I bought a load of inexpensive Chinese manufactured things from Ebay. With a bit of abuse to make the shape less uniform and re-foliation to improve and give a bit more variation to the colour they have turned out alright. An awful of lot of work, but the kind of non-taxing activity that is very relaxing and therapeutic!

Quote:
That railbus looks fantastic too.

Thanks - I think it was you that encouraged me to buy that and I'm very glad I did - suits the layout well and a nice runner, too

Quote:
A 74 will climb if only it were as heavy as a 94.

My BR74s can just about manage 3 bogie coaches on the layout, which is all the passing loops will accommodate so that works fine. As you say, the BR94s will pull whatever you want to stick behind them - absolutely love those models!

Quote:
Don’t the kids really love it too. Maybe we are all just a bunch of big kids.

Yes, the layout is always very popular with the younger audience! I think there must be something about very miniature things that intrinsically appeals to youngsters. I have to own up to being a big kid myself. I also have a growing collection of LEGO, though I've been doing less free-style building since the layout appeared on the scene!

Thanks for the nice comments, have a great weekend and take care yourself!

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline Mman  
#17 Posted : 08 January 2022 15:00:11(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I think your Z layout was the best of the show with its sweeping lines and movement. Yes the trees are magnificent and look worth the effort. The apartment buildings remind one of Soviet Eastern Bloc housing, is it set in the former DDR?
In the dim and distant past when I exhibited my Hornby Dublo shop window display type layout the public were always more interested in the movement and familiarity of the models than the super realistic station or yard only layouts with ‘the hand of the gods’ descending from above to fiddle with the couplings or keep prodding the locos to get them to move. This attitude has been repeated at other shows I have attended where layouts similar to my Hornby Dublo one were exhibited along with other types. Each to his own, though.
I remember the sheer amount of effort and hassle in getting a layout to a show and running it for the day and admire you for it.
I looked at the 2019 Epping video as well but didn’t see a Z there.
Well done
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#18 Posted : 08 January 2022 22:42:12(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
I think your Z layout was the best of the show with its sweeping lines and movement.

Well, it was definitely the best Z scale layout there!

Quote:
The apartment buildings remind one of Soviet Eastern Bloc housing, is it set in the former DDR?

You're not the first person to say that! I was trying to invoke a Mediterranean feel, by lowering the pitch of the roofs. The kits are from Kibri but I should probably be thinking about replacing them with something a bit more authentic.

Quote:
remember the sheer amount of effort and hassle in getting a layout to a show and running it for the day and admire you for it.

I'm very reliant upon my wife who helps me load and unload everything into the borrowed van and entertains everyone whilst I try and keep the trains running. I find the whole exhibition thing quite stressful so I very much ration myself. I'm not planning on taking the layout again, although I may weaken if I feel I've committed myself!

All the best

Chris

Zme
Offline wildstix  
#19 Posted : 19 January 2022 05:37:29(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
And did you know what Märklin came out with for the special item of the Z scale 50th anniversary?
A FREAKIN' CROCODILE IN SILVER!!!

I mean...we already have green, copper, gold, bronze, black...now silver, what's next? Pink? Rainbow? And it's a freakin' crocodile! A model that has frustrated many (or at least plunged the owner into love-hate relationship)...what a way to celebrate 50th anniversary 🤣😅
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by wildstix
Offline Zme  
#20 Posted : 19 January 2022 05:54:01(UTC)
Zme

United States   
What? Does this mean there will be no special Railbus?

I agree there seems to be enough Crocks in Z.

Now a red railbus, that is what is needed to have a meaningful observation of this special time! Maybe a bright DB logo on the front, that’s the ticket.

Yuk, yuk.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Carim  
#21 Posted : 19 January 2022 10:36:56(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I get the feeling that Märklin is almost giving up on Z; most of the stuff is just a repaint of existing models. Maybe it's just a cash cow for them as they don't have to invest in new moulds. Well, it saves me money as there is nothing that I really want to buy, but I can't help feeling disappointed.

Carim
Offline Mman  
#22 Posted : 19 January 2022 10:58:49(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Don’t forget the white crocodile wildstix! If the proposed silver croc had the other type of drive gear I might have been interested.
Went to a model railway exhibition on the outskirts of Guildford on Sunday, no Z gauge whatsoever. One exhibitor had several N gauge layouts in various size cases and he seemed to have never heard of Z ones. The most interesting exhibit was of Roco on-track-machines - a tamper and a Kirov crane that were operated from his ‘phone.
None of the sales stands had any Z for sale either, although one had, encouragingly, a length of Z track amongst all the other gauges on his test board just in case any Z came his way.
There were several stands selling small engineering supplies and although you could buy BA bolts etc down to microscopic none had small metric to address the missing screw that should hold one of my BR10s together.
ChrisG
Offline husafreak  
#23 Posted : 19 January 2022 16:41:08(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
My feeling after doing this a few years is that Z is not a money maker for Marklin. They limit production to ensure they can sell what they produce and probably are just mandated to break even and justify keeping the line open. And so we should be happy they make Z at all. In their defense they have put out some really neat stuff since I’ve been doing this. But yeah, a crock that is purely a collectors item and not fit for a layout (silver?) is not what I was hoping for in a 50 year celebration.
Offline IanC  
#24 Posted : 19 January 2022 17:08:22(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Chris,

If you'd like to pack your van and head over the border to The Sun Inn Felmersham Beds. for the weekend of 23 24 25 September 2022 (provisionally) we'd be pleased to see you.

IanC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline Mman  
#25 Posted : 19 January 2022 20:48:09(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post
Chris,

If you'd like to pack your van and head over the border to The Sun Inn Felmersham Beds. for the weekend of 23 24 25 September 2022 (provisionally) we'd be pleased to see you.

IanC

It’s in my diary.
ChrisG
Offline Zme  
#26 Posted : 19 January 2022 23:28:36(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

Seriously I have been waiting for the 88168 railbus set for going on two years now and this is just another red railbus set. I was told it would be out this year, but my order was already canceled once.

I have to say the UP Alco locomotive is impressive but it does not look like an F7 with a new shell. To bad I am not modeling an American layout.

The BR 320 is all new I think. Looks like a real heavyweight. There are some positives if production will actually be completed this year.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#27 Posted : 20 January 2022 00:51:49(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I’ll have to see what railcar set I got about two years ago. I was lucky to get it new from my dealer. It looks just like the 88168, interior lighting in both the motorized and non motor car. I believe it has a can motor and I know it has very fine detail, sure looks the same.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Zme
Offline Zme  
#28 Posted : 20 January 2022 01:46:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

The 88168 is a different railbus model BR796. The other models were BR 798(VT98). It is highly detailed with a bold red and white DB logo on the front. At a quick glance, it would seem identical to any other red railbus. Maybe the railbus is a good seller, but since the 88166, the 88167 and now pending 88168, they offer very little to generate interest. Just three versions of the red railbus. It is time for something different, I would think.

This is the kind of repetitive production which prompts negative comments, like those above.

I like the railbus though, I cannot have enough. I am sure I am in the minority.

Take good care.

Dwight

Offline husafreak  
#29 Posted : 20 January 2022 02:04:37(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
No Marklin Z scale fan should be without a rail bus!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#30 Posted : 20 January 2022 19:46:18(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hello.

Seriously I have been waiting for the 88168 railbus set for going on two years now and this is just another red railbus set. I was told it would be out this year, but my order was already canceled once.

I have to say the UP Alco locomotive is impressive but it does not look like an F7 with a new shell. To bad I am not modeling an American layout.

The BR 320 is all new I think. Looks like a real heavyweight. There are some positives if production will actually be completed this year.

Where are you getting all of this new product information from? I see there is a banner on the front page of Marklin's website, but it links to fall 2021 new items.

Cheers

Chris
Zme
Offline parakiet  
#31 Posted : 20 January 2022 21:11:50(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline parakiet  
#32 Posted : 20 January 2022 21:24:48(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
click to play

Z part of the 2022 winter new stuff show
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline husafreak  
#33 Posted : 20 January 2022 21:25:32(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Also check out the latest Marklin video in English 43 minutes of new stuff all scales, Episode 114? Can’t remember but link is under News From Marklin here in the forum.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline kiwiAlan  
#34 Posted : 20 January 2022 21:58:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Also check out the latest Marklin video in English 43 minutes of new stuff all scales, Episode 114? Can’t remember but link is under News From Marklin here in the forum.

I can't understand why we now have a third set of links to the Marklin new items brochure - does no one read the thread headed 2022 marklin new Items?

Note that the video is rather short on the number of items in it - it certainly doesn't cover all the items in the NI brochures.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#35 Posted : 20 January 2022 22:00:23(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Dank je wel, Parakiet, thanks very much HusafreaK!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline wildstix  
#36 Posted : 21 January 2022 09:47:34(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
I have the one from Trainini, but I love that Märklin 50 years logo, any idea where we can get them?
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
Offline Zme  
#37 Posted : 21 January 2022 16:44:43(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

It says they may be downloaded here.

https://www.trainini.eu/magazine/downloads

I agree, it is a nice 50 years logo.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline veloboldie  
#38 Posted : 21 January 2022 21:53:41(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   
Not sure why Marklin is treating their Z scale as "red headed step child." I was hoping that for the 50 year anniversary, we would see a roll out of a digital versions of Z scale. I was underwhelmed. Not sure if it's the technology issue, however, I always look with envy at the HO locos, being able to make sounds, etc. and a mobile station, able to run several trains, etc. Does anyone know, why Marklin is not rolling out digital Z scale? Thanks.
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#39 Posted : 21 January 2022 22:41:12(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: veloboldie Go to Quoted Post
Not sure why Marklin is treating their Z scale as "red headed step child." I was hoping that for the 50 year anniversary, we would see a roll out of a digital versions of Z scale. I was underwhelmed. Not sure if it's the technology issue, however, I always look with envy at the HO locos, being able to make sounds, etc. and a mobile station, able to run several trains, etc. Does anyone know, why Marklin is not rolling out digital Z scale? Thanks.

I beleive that when Minitrix became a part of the Märklin family, they didn’t feel the need to push any further development of the Z scale. N scale is only 30% bigger, it can easily be digitalized and used together with other brands. If the demand was bigger for Z models they would have more to offer.

K-G / H0 and Z model train user
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kgsjoqvist
Offline Zme  
#40 Posted : 22 January 2022 01:03:33(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Ralf likes the logo too:

Wish I had thought of that.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Carim  
#41 Posted : 22 January 2022 11:46:48(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: veloboldie Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know, why Marklin is not rolling out digital Z scale? Thanks.

If you want digital sound in Z, visit https://velmo.de/html/english.html for conversion boards.

Carim

Offline husafreak  
#42 Posted : 22 January 2022 18:05:40(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
You are very lucky in Europe to have access to Velmo boards. In the US I have not been able to get them.
Offline Zme  
#43 Posted : 22 January 2022 18:07:41(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone. Hope all is well.

The interest in digital has been growing and growing. Maybe in the 50th year of Z, it is the time when a leap to digital might be considered.

If I wanted to make such a move, how would it best be done and what would my shopping list include? Would this be best applied to an entirely new layout?

I have always considered the digital switch as a move which would be too expensive. I believe the programmer or controller might be costly.

Does Marklin make these items?

Thanks.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Carim  
#44 Posted : 22 January 2022 20:22:23(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
You are very lucky in Europe to have access to Velmo boards. In the US I have not been able to get them.

Have you tried dropping them an email? They might sell direct to you.

From their website:

"You want to place an order or a request?

Just write an Email with all your wishes and questions to:

info@velmo.de"

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Zme
Offline Mman  
#45 Posted : 22 January 2022 21:31:38(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Do the North American Z gauge companies do digital?
In the middle 1980s Märklin issued a catalogue listing digital Z locos and the same control equipment that digital H0 uses but the locos never hit the shops. Presumably they either couldn’t get it to work reliably or they didn’t think they could make any money out of it.
I’ve always been intrigued by the general statement on instruction leaflets about radio interference which changed to be USA specific, warning about FCC compliance.
I wonder if digitizing these Märklin locos could fall foul of the USA electro-magnetic regulations. Would any supplier care about that?
ChrisG
Zme
Offline blid  
#46 Posted : 22 January 2022 21:57:10(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I think AZL made some digital engines a couple of years ago. Now the engines have analogue boards that can be replace by digital boards from Digitrax and others. I have managed to to that and then anybody can do it.
I have gone all out and use a PC program (TC) to control the trains. The main problem has been to get components that are OK with 10 – 12V DCC. I already had an ECoS for my OneGauge outdoor layout so I got me a DSR lowering the DCC track voltage to an acceptable value. Velmo used to recommend 11V DCC but now 12V DCC. Modules needing more than 12V DCC get the track output before the DSR.
Freudenreich makes digital engines out of the box. One model with sound!
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline parakiet  
#47 Posted : 22 January 2022 22:34:01(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I am tempted to get that platinum croco.

Already have that V320 ordered and the V188 on its way...

I am in on the ERA III stuff, they got more than enough these last years :)
I heard a rumor about a V36 post train.. if that's true, I will have to provide extra funds :')
Offline cookee_nz  
#48 Posted : 22 January 2022 22:53:43(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
In the 1972 special dealer catalogue, Mini-Club was introduced with two Shop Window Display layouts, one being the well-known Top-o-Rama...

1972 - Shop window displays 1972-p08.jpg

1972 - Shop window displays 1972-p09.jpg

And some advertising items, displays, print mats etc... (from the Werbehilfen / Publicity Aids catalogue)

0142440 - 010.jpg

0142440 - 011.jpg

0142440 - 025.jpg

0142440 - 028.jpg

0142440 - 031.jpg

0142440 - 032.jpg

Edited by user 23 January 2022 03:30:20(UTC)  | Reason: Add images

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#49 Posted : 23 January 2022 00:15:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hello everyone. Hope all is well.

The interest in digital has been growing and growing. Maybe in the 50th year of Z, it is the time when a leap to digital might be considered.

If I wanted to make such a move, how would it best be done and what would my shopping list include? Would this be best applied to an entirely new layout?

I have always considered the digital switch as a move which would be too expensive. I believe the programmer or controller might be costly.

Does Marklin make these items?

Thanks.

Take good care.

Dwight

I would suggest that the following be considered if you are seriously considering attempting to digitize z scale items.

1. How well does the loco run? Digital will not fix a poor performing loco. The loco needs to be running well before starting down the digital route, so perform any maintenance before you start modifying a loco - this goes for any scale item, not just Z.

2. Is there room in the loco to fit a decoder? It may be that some milling of the frame will be required to get enough room, and will almost certainly be required if you are wanting to fit sound - but the problem there will be finding a small enough speaker. Check that fitting a decoder will not foul any screws fixing the body shell, or any other parts. Also remember that the loco may not have quite the same pulling power if you need to mill some of the frame away to fit the decoder. The weight of the decoder will not totally replace the weight of any metal milled away. You may want to fit extra weight where you can with lead sheet squeezed into every available nook and cranny to compensate.

3. Having satisfied 1) and checked out 2) then ESU offer suitable small decoders that are likely to fit - look at the ESU Lokpilot/Loksound 5 Nano range. Zimo may also have decoders that are small enough. There may also be other decoders that will fit that I am not aware of.

4. Having worked out what decoders are of a suitable size, do these decoders handle multiple protocols, or only DCC. Also what protocol do you want to use? I believe the ESU and Zimo ones will work with MM and may do mfx. If this is the case then a Marklin mobile station is likely to be sufficient for a good sized layout in Z. The ms2 will also do DCC if this is the only protocol the decoders will use. Otherwise if the decoders are DCC only then almost any DCC control unit should work. If there is an option I would check to see if the control unit can be set to limit the output voltage to that suitable for N gauge items.

5. If you are interested in using computer control then you will a different control unit to a mobile station. A Marklin central station would be a rather costly solution, I believe there would be more financially justifiable solutions in the DCC world that would allow you to achieve this.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
ZmeMman
Offline Zme  
#50 Posted : 23 January 2022 21:42:33(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, I found this 1972 catalog on Z world if you find it interesting. It shows the original locomotive releases, wagons and track etc.

http://www.z-world.com/c...s/pdfs/1972-brochure.pdf

I wonder if Boyd Models is still in business.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme