Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2014 06:57:09(UTC)
Goofy

I can´t use CV adresses with MS2 to program mfx+ decoder.
When i scroll down in the MS2 to start program,it stands a line over CV protocol in the MS2. Huh
It only stand so for mfx+ decoder.
Why??
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2014 07:39:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Why??
They want you to buy a CS2.

Programming can be done with CS2, CS1, or ECoS.

And even CU 6021 or MS1 can change settings with mfx decoders the MS2 cannot access.

Märklin only want your best - they want your money!
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2014 09:23:09(UTC)
Goofy

It really sucks with bad respons from Märklin.
Thanks Tom!
I didn´t even know about others controls.
But will Märklin start an new upgrade again for the MS2,so customer can use CV protocol with mfx+ decoder...??
H0
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2014 15:57:03(UTC)
Goofy

I was in the local hobby store today and it confirm problems by use MS2 with mfx+.
But also with CS2 there was some trouble shoot.
I give up...
H0
Offline TimR  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2014 18:20:46(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
This is a newly identified issue for MFX+ for me.

Thanks Anders, for bringing this up.

This is yet another reason why the older generation Marklin-Motorola 6090x is actually better.
No compatibility issues with any generation digital train controller...
Any future train controller will be compatible to MM.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Märklin only want your best - they want your money!

So they give us modern decoders with inferior load control, yet still want us to invest even more $$$ on their chosen compatible controller?

It is a very funny joke....

Note to self: Don't touch any new Marklin loco until they fix the issue...

Wait, it will never happen...

....they have assured us once again, that they will continue to pursue the strategy adopted in 2013, and give their product sufficient time to sell through in the marketplace...
Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2014 20:37:27(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, mfx+ should not work fully with MS2 (the cab drive display & resource stuff) but it should behave like a normal mfx regarding operation & programming with MS2...

Just my 2 cents...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2014 04:34:40(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Well, mfx+ should not work fully with MS2 (the cab drive display & resource stuff) but it should behave like a normal mfx regarding operation & programming with MS2...

Just my 2 cents...

I don´t get it...
It stands a line over CV protocol in the MS2 for mfx system.
So does for mfx+.
Mfx and mfx+ has common togehter and is to use CV protocol.
The difference is that mfx+ is for to use cabinet display with CS2.
So to use all CV adresses with mfx decoders is not possible with MS2!!
This in version 1.83.

H0
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2014 09:00:12(UTC)
H0

I don´t get it...
That's not unusual.

With DCC it is called CV programming.
With MM it is called register programming.
With mfx you use configuration space.

Three different names for the same task - but also three completely different techniques. The menu item CV is disabled for mfx decoders because they do not support CV programming - and the MS2 cannot access the configuration space beyond the few settings that are explicitly showing in the menu (volume, max. speed, acceleration and braking delay).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2014 19:21:12(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
So you should disable mfx on the MS2, and register your locos as MM, then you could access CV configuration, am i right?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2014 19:37:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
So you should disable mfx on the MS2, and register your locos as MM, then you could access CV configuration, am i right?
Theoretically you are right.

Practically I found that this works for Märklin locos with ESU mfx decoders, but not for Märklin locos with "universal genius" cost-optimized mfx decoders.
Anybody's free to try it - could have been my fault that it didn't work.

The really interesting settings (IMHO) are not accessible from MM anyway: you can not change the speed curve or the brightness of the headlights, not to mention function mapping.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#11 Posted : 01 February 2014 19:37:41(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
And a doubt, if in MM mode you modify say the lights brightness, will this modification stays if you re-register later using mfx protocol?

ohhh, already answered....crossed postBigGrin
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 01 February 2014 19:42:15(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, they really want you to buy a CS2BigGrin lucky me that i have one......
But cahnging the speed curve or do function mapping with an MS2 if it could be done, it dont seems to me to be very practical due to the hardware limitations.
At the end i must say that i really dont like the MS2, have one that came from a starter set and never really love it.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 01 February 2014 19:44:41(UTC)
H0

And a doubt, if in MM mode you modify say the lights brightness, will this modification stays if you re-register later using mfx protocol?
Most values apply to all protocols. The MM address however is stored independently of the DCC address (for mLD/mSD with all protocols).

One brain fart about mLD/mSD: the value stored in CVs 3 and 4 is multiplied by 0.25 seconds with mfx and with 0.9 seconds with DCC.
ESU uses 0.25 seconds for all protocols.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#14 Posted : 01 February 2014 19:45:46(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Again, with ESU decoders you have the manual for doing the mapping in the "long" way, it is a little annoying procedure but with patiente and practice it become easier......
That kind of information is not availble for marklin decoders somewhere?
Since i own a CS2 i never had the need to do the search, but perhaps someone did....
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 02 February 2014 08:59:56(UTC)
H0

That kind of information is not availble for marklin decoders somewhere?
Factory-installed decoders are crippled: they do not support all protocols (at least not with H0 locomotives) and not all CVs can actually be changed.

Decoders sold separately support all protocols and all settings can be changed with an MS2, but for the CU 6021 there still are limitations (while ESU decoders support a long mode that even allows a CU 6021 to change all settings - but with V4 decoders this can be really complicated when you have to write a value larger than 80 into a CV above 256).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 02 February 2014 09:05:56(UTC)
Goofy

Nope it didn´t worked,since mfx and mfx+ decoder has unique adress.
It won´t work with CV configuration anyway even if you use MM adress(with the MS2).
If you disable mfx,locomotivs with mfx will register automatic anyway when you place model on the track.
H0
Offline NZMarklinist  
#17 Posted : 02 February 2014 14:18:38(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
With a MS2 and Marklin factory MFX decoders you can only alter the limited settings as detailed above by Tom, end of story !Bored

If you have a Marklin factory MFX decoder you can do a lot more with a CS2, but not alter the sound file at all apart from volume Bored

All Marklin factory decoders have their sound projects locked, so people that might meddle, don't delete them OhMyGod

If you have an MSD you can do all sorts of programming with the CS2 but I think the programming tool is probably easier to use, especially when your loading sound files/projects but you still cannot alter them intrinsically the way you can an ESU sound file with Lokprogrammer.

With ESU decoders you can use a lot of controllers to programme/tune them.
If you are doing conversions using an ESU decoder it is best to have the ESU Lokprogrammer and programming is a few mouse clicks, very simple !!Smile

My summary FWIW

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Goofy  
#18 Posted : 02 February 2014 14:44:18(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
With a MS2 and Marklin factory MFX decoders you can only alter the limited settings as detailed above by Tom, end of story !Bored

Truth!
But if you want to disable mfx,you must have adress CV50 by do this,so you can use DCC protocol alone instead.
In this case as an exemple,you can´t do that with MS2,since there is an line over CV protocol.
That´s way i did created this topic to find answer,about why Märklin is doing like this.

H0
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 02 February 2014 15:00:00(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I guess that Märklin prefer to have their locomotives run on either mfx or mm, rather than dcc which is not a Märklin protocol.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 02 February 2014 15:27:37(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I guess that Märklin prefer to have their locomotives run on either mfx or mm, rather than dcc which is not a Märklin protocol.

Mfx and mfx+ do have DCC function too.
It´s all about you must buy CS2 to use other CV adresses.
So why not to use CV protocol too with MS2...?

H0
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 02 February 2014 15:54:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

You can use the DCC protocol with the MS2. I do it all the time, especially with non-Marklin locos. In fact I use DCC to programme my Piko locos as it works better than MM for those locos.
Ray
Offline NZMarklinist  
#22 Posted : 02 February 2014 15:59:45(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

This is where you are totally confused Goofy, MFX is MFX, it is a recognition protocol, it is MM type in operation.

DCC is quite another protocol, that only recently has railcom (invented by Lenz/ESU) as a recognition protocol.

OK so some very recent decoders can be programmed to use either protocol, but Marklin factory decoders in Marklin Loks only use MFX, even tho some features in say, the CS1R ands Ecos are programmed as a DCC item. Sneaky
But you'll have to wait till you get either of those to worry about it or be bothered even discussing it !RollEyes
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline NZMarklinist  
#23 Posted : 02 February 2014 16:10:17(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

This is where you are totally confused Goofy, MFX is MFX, it is a recognition protocol, it is MM type in operation.

DCC is quite another protocol, that only recently has railcom (invented by Lenz/ESU) as a recognition protocol.

OK so some very recent decoders can be programmed to use either protocol, but Marklin factory decoders in Marklin Loks only use MFX, even tho some features in say, the CS1R ands Ecos are programmed as a DCC item. Sneaky
But youy'll have to wait till you get either of those to worry about it or be bothered even discussing it !RollEyes

So children or beginners cannot disable the operation of their Loks Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 02 February 2014 17:06:01(UTC)
H0

But if you want to disable mfx,you must have adress CV50 by do this,so you can use DCC protocol alone instead.
In this case as an exemple,you can´t do that with MS2,since there is an line over CV protocol.
You can do that with MS2: just disable mfx protocol in the MS2 and you will be able to program mSD/mLD with DCC - incl. CV 50 to disable mfx in the decoder.

Once mfx was disabled in the decoder, you can run the locos with DCC even if mfx is re-enabled in the MS2.

With factory-installed H0 decoders you cannot disable mfx in the decoder.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#25 Posted : 02 February 2014 18:10:53(UTC)
Goofy

You can do that with MS2: just disable mfx protocol in the MS2 and you will be able to program mSD/mLD with DCC - incl. CV 50 to disable mfx in the decoder.
Once mfx was disabled in the decoder, you can run the locos with DCC even if mfx is re-enabled in the MS2.

And how do you that,if there is line over CV protocol???

H0
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 02 February 2014 18:30:54(UTC)
H0

Select any DCC locomotive entry and the CV menu item will be available.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#27 Posted : 02 February 2014 19:27:56(UTC)
Goofy

Select any DCC locomotive entry and the CV menu item will be available.

No no no...i mean mfx decoder!!
H0
Offline franciscohg  
#28 Posted : 02 February 2014 19:32:31(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Anders:
As Tom pointed out before, if it is a factory installed mfx it cannot be done.
It has to be an mLD or mSD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
H0
Offline Goofy  
#29 Posted : 03 February 2014 07:05:52(UTC)
Goofy

Anders:

That´s exactly what i did start topic about mfx and mfx+ decoder.
It cannot disable mfx with MS2,since there is a line over CV protocol!!
That´s why i did asked too about why Märklin is doing like that.

H0
Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 03 February 2014 08:34:07(UTC)
H0

Anders:

That´s exactly what i did start topic about mfx and mfx+ decoder.
It cannot disable mfx with MS2,since there is a line over CV protocol!!
That´s why i did asked too about why Märklin is doing like that.
The question of this topic is not quite clear.

1. mfx decoders never support CV programming. The CV menu item is stroke out for all mfx decoders (including ESU decoders).
  2. With Märklin mfx decoders you cannot disable mfx while programming with mfx (the protocol used for programming will never disable itself).
  3. With factory-installed decoders you cannot disable mfx in the decoder at all (neither for Märklin locos nor for Trix locos).
  4. The CS2 has a CV button that also can be used with mfx decoders (but it doesn't start CV programming, instead it takes you to an editor for the mfx configuration space).
  5. The MS2 cannot edit configuration space beyond a few explicitly supported entries (speed, volume, acceleration delays).
  6. mLD/mSD sold separately (or with Trix locos) support DCC CV programming and thus allow sophisticated changes to be applied even with an MS2

You ask "why"? Well, everybody's happy.
Some users happily buy the CS2 to make changes.
Some users happily buy different decoders to run Märklin locos with DCC.
Some users happily live with the restricted capabilities of the MS2 and the crippled factory-installed decoders.
Some users happily buy locos that support DCC ex works.

Anders, I guess you are disappointed. Probably you expected too much from the MS2 (still a starter set controller) and its mfx capabilities.
The MS2 can be used to operate two-rail and three-rail locomotives with DCC and with full CV programming support (including POM).
The MS2 was designed to make people desire more - and to buy the CS2 in the end.
mfx+ was designed to have features unique to the CS2 (the ECoS or CS1 are an alternative for mfx, but not mfx+).

50 % of the market are small companies that mostly adhere to open standards and allow to mix products from different suppliers.
50 % of the market is a market leader that tries to boost a closed system, protected by patents and such.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#31 Posted : 03 February 2014 11:21:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Perfectly summarised, Tom. Thank you! ThumpUp

For myself, I am happy to accept that a starter set controller is restricted in the facilities it offers compared to the much more expensive CS2.

I'm also OK with the restricted adjustments I can make to MFX locos with factory installed decoders. I believe this is so that inexperienced users do not totally mess up the settings on a new loco. Those who wish to do so can easily swap the factory decoder for about €30 (mLd or LP V4), or a bit more with sound.
Ray
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 03 February 2014 23:22:02(UTC)
H0

The chapter "Programming a Locomotive" (page 17 of the MS2 manual) clearly states that this is supported for DCC locos only.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TrainIride  
#33 Posted : 28 January 2022 09:55:01(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Anders:

• mLD/mSD sold separately (or with Trix locos) support DCC CV programming and thus allow sophisticated changes to be applied even with an MS2[/list]

• Hi everybody,

So what about today's 60985 MSD3 decoder to be programmed with a MS2 ?

I need help how to program CV on this decoder Confused .
    Is it necessary to disable MFX on the MS2 ? And in this case, how to ?
    Or do I need to create manually a new DCC loco, only to access to CVs ?

Well, that's the story:

I recently converted an old Br74 from the 29177 starter set which delta decoder was fried.
    I used the 60985 MSD3 Decoder and the 60943 motor and a 756080 m2x10 silver narrow head screw...

Everything is ok, except the factory settings of the decoder are not corresponding to this loco.
    I needed
    • to change max speed (180 -> 120)

• to change deceleration (12 -> 32)

• to change acceleration (12 -> 32)

to obtain a smooth behavior similar to my other locos.
    I used this menu:

Change_loco.jpg

But The break sound (this horrible thing everybody is talking about on several topics) has disappeared.

I tried to find how to reach some CVs :

Program_CV.jpg

But I didn't found anything about the CV64 !

So the question is: How to reach CV64 (and others if necessary) to adjust break sound threshold with my MS2 ?
    Please help !

Best Regards
    Joël

Offline H0  
    #34 Posted : 28 January 2022 10:07:40(UTC)
    H0

Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post
    So the question is: How to reach CV64 (and others if necessary) to adjust break sound threshold with my MS2?
    If you want to use DCC programming, temporarily disable mfx in the MS2 and manually create a DCC loco in the MS2.
    When you are done with the setting, you can enable mfx again.

Regards
    Tom
    ---
    UserPostedImage
    Offline TrainIride  
    #35 Posted : 28 January 2022 10:09:58(UTC)
    TrainIride

France   
    So the question is: How to reach CV64 (and others if necessary) to adjust break sound threshold with my MS2?
    If you want to use DCC programming, temporarily disable mfx in the MS2 and manually create a DCC loco in the MS2.
    When you are done with the setting, you can enable mfx again.

Thank you Tom ThumpUp

Can you give me the instructions to disable MFX ?

Best Regards
    Joël
    Offline H0  
    #36 Posted : 28 January 2022 10:12:29(UTC)
    H0

Can you give me the instructions to disable MFX?
    For the setting of active protocols in the MS2 select either "MM, DCC" or "DCC".
    Regards
    Tom
    ---
    UserPostedImage
    Offline TrainIride  
    #37 Posted : 28 January 2022 10:14:00(UTC)
    TrainIride

France   
    Can you give me the instructions to disable MFX?
    For the setting of active protocols in the MS2 select either "MM, DCC" or "DCC".

Thank you !
    I will try this !

Best Regards
    Joël
    Offline TrainIride  
    #38 Posted : 28 January 2022 15:01:03(UTC)
    TrainIride

France   
    Thank you for your help ThumpUp

So what I have done:

Loco_protocols.jpg

Program_CV_DCC.jpg

Well my Brake Sound is back !

But one limitation I have :
    I can this way modify the CV values.
    I cannot this way read the CV values.
    The value shown for each CV at "Step 2" is the last modified for the last one, but not the value in the decoder.

Best Regards
    Joël
    Offline H0  
    #39 Posted : 28 January 2022 16:18:10(UTC)
    H0

I cannot this way read the CV values.
    CVs can be read for DCC locos, but not MM locos.

If the catalogue or loco manual shows DCC for the loco, better try DCC. With MM it is write only - and in some cases more "trial and error".
    Regards
    Tom
    ---
    UserPostedImage