Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline railguy  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2022 08:31:10(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
Hello! New to the forum as of today.
Have some old Marklin sets I'm trying to get going, with general success. Having been on the shelf for many years some of the engines are a little tough to get moving.
The most reluctant is the tank engine 30322, which sits on the track and does not much of anything. Has nice headlights though. Found an exploded view at the Marklin site but so far no user manual (mine has vanished over time).
If anyone has a copy of the manual and some suggestions on cleaning tips to try and nudge the engine that should, it would be appreciated!
Thanks BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by railguy
Offline PJMärklin  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2022 10:10:28(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: railguy Go to Quoted Post
Hello! New to the forum as of today.
Have some old Marklin sets I'm trying to get going, with general success. Having been on the shelf for many years some of the engines are a little tough to get moving.
The most reluctant is the tank engine 30322, which sits on the track and does not much of anything. Has nice headlights though. Found an exploded view at the Marklin site but so far no user manual (mine has vanished over time).
If anyone has a copy of the manual and some suggestions on cleaning tips to try and nudge the engine that should, it would be appreciated!
Thanks BigGrin

Hello railguy, welcome to the forumBigGrin

Much information (including manuals) can usually be gleaned from the Märklin Product Database :

https://www.maerklin.de/...f526dbddaa57276d27ca280e

but, unfortunately and unusually, not the actual manual for the 30322 in your case OhMyGod Blushing

A member who has this model and the manual may be able to post a copy for you.

Meanwhile, what information specifically were you looking for in the manual?

You may care to further detail the dysfunctional characteristics of your loco.Wink

Regards,

PJSmile
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2022 10:19:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Welcome to the forum.

The alternate manual to look for is the 29185 loco manual as it is the same loco but from a starter set. There's no manual for either 30322 or 29185 on the Marklin website, but I know at least one forum member (RayF) has a 29185 so he might be able to scan the manual for you.

The loco is a delta loco so make sure you are using a digital controller set to the correct address for the loco.

The forum has a 'Commonly Asked Questions' thread, and while there is no link there to a 30322/29185 manual, there is a link to the Marklin Service Manual which gives a lot of information on servicing Marklin locos. Apart from making sure you are using the correct delta address, the next thing to check is brushes and the Service Manual shows you how to do this.

https://www.marklin-user...ns---requested-documents
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2022 15:44:57(UTC)
bph

Norway   
I scanned my manual: 30322_Digital_FX.pdf
I did not include some of the text pages in other languages.
Please note that the manual covers 30322 locomotives that there delivered with a digital fx decoder instead of a delta decoder. but aside from the address configuration pages, everything else is identical to the delta version.

more information about the 602759 decoders used in some 30322 can be found here:
http://www.web-hgh.de/index_jsm_moba.htm?http://www.web-hgh.de/p03_maedig_6090x-asic-so_29945.htm

https://moba-hgh.de/modellbahn/digital/decoder/fuer-lokomotiven/maerklin/digital/6090x-c90x?id=148#decoder-4

one common problem with locomotives that have not been used for a while is hardened oil/grease.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline railguy  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2022 17:54:49(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
Thanks to everyone, especially bph, for the assistance. Loco has never been used and sat on the shelf for about twenty years. Imagine that hardened grease is an issue and cleaning in detail will be required.
While this is a DELTA loco, it did not come with a DELTA decoder, just an analog transformer. Have all the set pieces except paperwork so don't think anything is missing.
I do have some digital sets so would it be worthwhile trying this loco on one of those?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by railguy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2022 18:10:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

While this is a DELTA loco, it did not come with a DELTA decoder, just an analog transformer.

I suspect you mean DELTA controller. That would be standard for the start sets of the time, when the loco was fitted with a DELTA decoder, in anticipation of the purchaser later getting a DELTA controller or full digital system later on, when they come to expand the model railway.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline railguy  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2022 19:48:55(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
I think this engine must be related to a cat. It wants to run but won't do it and no one will force it to. I have cleaned and lubed, found and repaired a broken wire and still no movement. The wheels run freely when the motor is removed. The front and rear lights come on there there is occasional buzzing from the motor. :(
Wondering if the motor upgrade kit, 60941, would be a good route to take?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2022 20:01:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I think this engine must be related to a cat. It wants to run but won't do it and no one will force it to. I have cleaned and lubed, found and repaired a broken wire and still no movement. The wheels run freely when the motor is removed. The front and rear lights come on there there is occasional buzzing from the motor. :(
Wondering if the motor upgrade kit, 60941, would be a good route to take?

A photo of the insides would be a help at this stage.

Offline railguy  
#9 Posted : 11 January 2022 20:46:42(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
I can sure try. Anything specific you would suggest? Which side or close-ups of anything?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 11 January 2022 23:59:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I can sure try. Anything specific you would suggest? Which side or close-ups of anything?

Just a general view from the side of the loco with the brush holder visible.

Use the paper clip icon at the top of the edit window to load a file, and follow the instructions.

Offline railguy  
#11 Posted : 12 January 2022 03:14:11(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Just a general view from the side of the loco with the brush holder visible.

Use the paper clip icon at the top of the edit window to load a file, and follow the instructions.

Engine 30322.jpg

Here is the side view photo.
Offline Dave Banks  
#12 Posted : 12 January 2022 03:22:12(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Railguy I did this conversion to my #30322. This was done many years ago. By the look of your decoder address 80 should be correct & able to operate in an analog mode. It looks Like you have Marklin #3032

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]
D.A.Banks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 12 January 2022 03:24:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The brushes look OK, but make sure there's enough spring tension against them to hold them firmly in place.

You can test this by applying power to the track when the loco is on it and gently push the brush spring in with a screwdriver. If the loco takes off or show signs of movement, that was your problem.
Offline railguy  
#14 Posted : 12 January 2022 03:51:30(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
Success!!! (in a round-about way)

I checked the springs on the brushes and tried bending them in slightly to try for more tension. No go. Then I removed the left brush (as seen looking at the photo) and reversed it. Still no go.

Finally, I used the tweezer tip to push in slightly on the right side brush and immediately heard a buzzing. Put the engine on the track and off it went! Works in reverse as well...and running now in the background to get a break-in period.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

btw...Dave Banks...I'll keep your suggestion handy in case of doing the digital conversion. Maybe this is a 3032. No paperwork survived the test of time for this set.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by railguy
Offline railguy  
#15 Posted : 12 January 2022 04:00:47(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
engine in action.MOV (828kb) downloaded 29 time(s).

I checked the springs on the brushes and tried bending them in slightly to try for more tension. No go. Then I removed the left brush (as seen looking at the photo) and reversed it. Still no go.

Finally, I used the tweezer tip to push in slightly on the right side brush and immediately heard a buzzing. Put the engine on the track and off it went! Works in reverse as well...and running now in the background to get a break-in period.

btw...Dave Banks...I'll keep your suggestion handy in case of doing the digital conversion. Maybe this is a 3032. No paperwork survived the test of time for this set.

Offline bph  
#16 Posted : 12 January 2022 21:15:44(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Nice that you got it working again :)

as far as I understand the 30322 was delivered in several versions including your configuration. If you want to know more, you can check the running number on this site:https://wiki.3rail.nl/index.php/Sjabloon:M%C3%A4rklin-br81-modellen eg if the locomotive running number is 81 001, then it is most likely a 30322.

Another small thing is that if you later want to upgrade the locomotive, the motor upgrade kit 60941, will probably not fit. Since you have an SFCM motor, a 60943 kit should fit. (together with a suitable new decoder).
Offline railguy  
#17 Posted : 13 January 2022 17:53:46(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
Hey bph, great info and many thanks! The engine number is 81010 which makes the loco a model 3032.5 by the chart in the link you posted. However, that model is not a DELTA engine (if I read the chart correctly) whereas my engine appears to be as it came in set 2964 (Canada) which is marked on the box as being DELTA. Also assuming that the photo I posted is showing a DELTA controller.
Interesting little mystery?
Offline railguy  
#18 Posted : 13 January 2022 18:05:04(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
The chart in the link does mention set 2963 having DELTA and from what info I can find the difference between sets 2963 and 2964 is minimal. So, 3032.5 it seems to be.
Offline David2  
#19 Posted : 21 January 2022 02:42:47(UTC)
David2

Netherlands   
Move each dipswitches a couple of times and try adress 80 then again. Delta decoders are 18 to 30 years old already.
Offline railguy  
#20 Posted : 21 January 2022 18:16:42(UTC)
railguy

Canada   
3032 again.MOV (2,037kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
The chart in the link does mention set 2963 having DELTA and from what info I can find the difference between sets 2963 and 2964 is minimal. So, 3032.5 it seems to be.

Here is 3032.5 in action again! BigGrin