Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnmarklin  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2022 13:37:05(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Good afternoon fellow enthusiasts.

Once again I am seeking your help. Last week I took delivery of an unused mint condition Marklin Tunnel Rescue Set.

Everything works on the train except for the volume of the horns, they are barely audible.

Does anyone know how to adjust the volume? There is no reference made in the owner's manual as to how to adjust the volume.

The decoder that controls the sound is Marklin early version with 8 dip swithches. There is no adjustment on the board.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

John
Offline thomasm  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2022 15:31:55(UTC)
thomasm

Norway   
Hi,

According to the manual from Märklin page 40, https://static.maerklin....0d09942df31434541698.pdf It seems to be a volume switch in the Lok nr.1. Lok nr1. is the unpowered one.

.thomas
Märklinist, hobbyist and collector. || Trains are meant to be driven.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by thomasm
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2022 18:45:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

@ Thomas: Thanks for the documentation of this tunnel rescue set I dreamed having.
@John: there is ambiguity about the switch (controls a tone change or a strength change).
If it does not go stronger you may want to replace the loudspeaker with another one after checking the impedance the one you have with a multimeter.
Having a few locos with separate sound modules, I experienced one of them dying too
Here are two Märklin locos with separate sound modules (the one on the bottom failed and sadly they can't be repaired / replaced by Märklin)
SoundModules.png (1,045kb) downloaded 27 time(s).

Cheers

Jean
Offline johnmarklin  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2022 22:33:46(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Thomas and Jean,

Thank you for your replies. Re-reading my first message I think I did not make it clear that the sound is working but it is very very low. I have turned the volume up but it does not make a difference. I suspect the speaker might be the problem but I wanted to check with forum members if there was another solution before I change the speaker.

The low tone is very low and hard to hear. The stronger tone is only a very small amount louder/stronger.

John
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2022 22:51:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi John
It may indicate your loudspeaker is defective (not moving freely) hence the low sound.
Checking its resistance before ordering a new one in important. Standard Märklin loudspeaker (delivered with sound decoders) is 8 Ohms.
You may ask your dealer about free speakers coming from installing a sound decoder (2 LS of different types with each decoder.
Cheers
Jean
Offline johnmarklin  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2022 23:57:41(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Jean,

Thank you for your reply. I have a few spare speakers from decoder upgrades which I will try after I have tested the speaker that is fitted.

Yours sincerely

John
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2022 02:02:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
As Jean points out you need to check the impedance of the speaker before you replace it. The latest mSD3 decoders use 8 ohm speakers but older decoders used 100 ohm speakers. Make sure you get the correct one.
Offline johnmarklin  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2022 11:26:56(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Bigdaddynz,

Thank you for that important piece of advice. I hope to check the speaker in the next few days after I have finished all of my other repairs.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnmarklin
Offline johnmarklin  
#9 Posted : 12 January 2022 20:07:43(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Bigdaddynz and all who have made suggestions, thank you for your help.

I removed the speaker from the locomotive and tested it. While the speaker works it is barely audible. I re-soldered the wires of the moving coil in the hope that a dry joint was the problem but that made no difference. The impedence of the fitted speaker is 8 ohm and fortunatley I had an 8 ohm speaker from a digital conversion set . I have fitted that speaker and all is working perfectly.

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnmarklin