Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2021 03:30:05(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Good evening.

I am operating an ECOS Command Station, Hardware Version 2.0, with Firmware update version 4.2.8. When looking at Operation Settings and looking at my internal booster (don't have an external booster) the temp reading for my ECOS eventually climbs to about 78C (after about an hour of running trains). Is that normal?

Would appreciate any feedback from other ECOS users.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2021 06:45:03(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
What is your ambient temperature?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2021 07:38:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
You sure its 78° C ? this is almost boiling point (100°C)., however 78°F would be about 25.5°C and this temperature would be exceptable

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Chris6382chris  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2021 12:01:49(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
The room temp is very mild 69F. But the temp reading on the ECOS reads 78C, to be clear this the internal booster reading. I agree about the boiling point comment and 78C being so hot that is that is why I was shocked to see it.

When I turned it off for about 20 minutes and then turned it back on it read 39C. After 20 minutes of use it climbed back up and stayed at 78C.

The outside of the unit on the bottom is slightly warm to the touch but nothing unusual. Someone on the ESU forum said that was a normal reading, but to me it seems high. I was wondering what others saw on their ECOS after 30 or so minutes of usage.

I have about 40 digital engines on the layout. I only run 4 at anyone time, all using LEDS, and done with sound. The other36 engines are sitting, lights off waiting for their turn. I do not have an external booster. I will start removing engines and see if the internal booster temp drops. I’ll also look to see if the ecos has vents for air circulation and see if those are clogged.

Thanks, Chris
Offline Zosch  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2021 12:58:57(UTC)
Zosch

Hi Chris,

Yes, it is normal because the temperature is measured directly on the new booster output stage, so you have different temperature values ​​compared to the old ECOS!

Regards from Switzerland

Roland

www.reichs-bahn.ch
http://reichs-bahn.ch
Corresponding in English and German
Offline Chris6382chris  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2021 15:44:45(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks for the response. That’s reassuring but wow that seems hot.
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 12 December 2021 20:50:56(UTC)
Goofy

Something is wrong here.
The system should be shut off automatic if the temperatur increase more than 45 C°!!
There is a cooling element that will shut the system off if it overheat.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Chris6382chris  
#8 Posted : 12 December 2021 23:53:38(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Hi Goofy. Thanks for responding. When you look at the manual for the ECOS you will you see that an image of the current monitor and in that image it shows at least 50C so I don't think you are correct about it shutting off above 45C. Also, as pointed out above, after the firmware updates the temperature is now measured directly with the new booster power amplifier. I honestly don't know what that means but it seems to mean something.

If my ECOS was truly 80C which is what the internal booster temp is showing me, I would think my ECOS would be very hot to the touch. It is only mildly warm if I place my hands directly on the screen or under it, similar to a laptop, but not even as warm. The sides and dials are cool to the touch.

I have now been running trains for almost 2 hours as a test and the temp for the internal booster has maxed out at 80C and stayed there and as I have said earlier I have 40 plus engines and some lighted (LED) coaches on the track and have been running four trains the whole time, one on the mainline (with sound) and three using the shuttle function of the ECOS.

I have not had any issues or problems. Also, I have set my transformer to about 18.1V. I continue to show about 2755 mA of 3580mA being used.

I know I started this topic by saying I think my Ecos is running hot but now I think it might be normal. Can any other ECOS users that have all the firmware updates please tell me what your temp is reading for your internal booster.

Thanks,

Chris
Offline Donb  
#9 Posted : 13 December 2021 03:39:03(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
Hi Goofy. Thanks for responding. When you look at the manual for the ECOS you will you see that an image of the current monitor and in that image it shows at least 50C so I don't think you are correct about it shutting off above 45C. Also, as pointed out above, after the firmware updates the temperature is now measured directly with the new booster power amplifier. I honestly don't know what that means but it seems to mean something.

If my ECOS was truly 80C which is what the internal booster temp is showing me, I would think my ECOS would be very hot to the touch. It is only mildly warm if I place my hands directly on the screen or under it, similar to a laptop, but not even as warm. The sides and dials are cool to the touch.

I have now been running trains for almost 2 hours as a test and the temp for the internal booster has maxed out at 80C and stayed there and as I have said earlier I have 40 plus engines and some lighted (LED) coaches on the track and have been running four trains the whole time, one on the mainline (with sound) and three using the shuttle function of the ECOS.

I have not had any issues or problems. Also, I have set my transformer to about 18.1V. I continue to show about 2755 mA of 3580mA being used.

I know I started this topic by saying I think my Ecos is running hot but now I think it might be normal. Can any other ECOS users that have all the firmware updates please tell me what your temp is reading for your internal booster.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Why not sign up to the ESU support Forum and ask there?
https://www.esu.eu/en/forum/forums-overview/

Don

Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline Chris6382chris  
#10 Posted : 13 December 2021 04:02:57(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Hi Don. I have and am waiting to here back. I just thought I’d check on here as I know many people use the ECOS.

And I think Roland has the answer. It has to do with a firmware update. But I just wanted to hear from ecos users to see if they experienced the same.
Chris
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 13 December 2021 09:32:24(UTC)
Goofy

Thanks,

Chris

Did you try to touch the Ecos if there is unnormal high heat?
If so you have serious problem about your Ecos.
In fact shall the system shall shut off if there is overheat.

H0
Offline Chris6382chris  
#12 Posted : 13 December 2021 18:10:49(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Thanks,

Chris

Did you try to touch the Ecos if there is unnormal high heat?
If so you have serious problem about your Ecos.
In fact shall the system shall shut off if there is overheat.

Hi Goofy. The unit isn't hot to the touch. If anything the unit feels like a laptop computer but not even that hot.

Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 14 December 2021 05:48:54(UTC)
Goofy

It is possible that you read with Fahrenheit instead that the symbol should stand F and not with the C.
H0
Offline JohnjeanB  
#14 Posted : 14 December 2021 14:02:36(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I don't know about the Ecos but on my CS3 a temperature from 25°C up to 50°C is normal (also the same on my 2 CS2s). My CS3 is used with a 5 A current output.
So I believe a temperature of 70°C or more, is not normal. Of course, the Ecos or CS3 must be installed on a flat hard surface allowing air convection for cooling.
Question: When you start your Ecos what is the temperature reading? It may be that the temperature reading component is lousy.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Chris6382chris  
#15 Posted : 14 December 2021 20:06:41(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I don't know about the Ecos but on my CS3 a temperature from 25°C up to 50°C is normal (also the same on my 2 CS2s). My CS3 is used with a 5 A current output.
So I believe a temperature of 70°C or more, is not normal. Of course, the Ecos or CS3 must be installed on a flat hard surface allowing air convection for cooling.
Question: When you start your Ecos what is the temperature reading? It may be that the temperature reading component is lousy.
Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean. The ECOS starts at room temp and then climbs as it is used over time to the 78-80C reading for the internal booster. I have checked on the ESU site and people on there assure me it is normal as it is reading heat generated as described in my previous posts.

I have ordered an ESU 7A booster. So we will see what that reads when installed ans how that impacts the builder in 4A booster of the ECOS.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 14 December 2021 23:10:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean. The ECOS starts at room temp and then climbs as it is used over time to the 78-80C reading for the internal booster. I have checked on the ESU site and people on there assure me it is normal as it is reading heat generated as described in my previous posts.

I have ordered an ESU 7A booster. So we will see what that reads when installed ans how that impacts the builder in 4A booster of the ECOS.

This certainly the order of temperature I would expect to see at the chip while operating at ambient air temperature. The thermal resistance between the chip and air is quite high - this is why things that dissipate a lot of heat have big lumps of metal to conduct the heat away, and then have lots of fins to convect that same heat into the air, and why things that have serious heat dissipation have fans that move a lot of air.
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 14 December 2021 23:28:54(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Maybe it has built in heating to keep the train room warm in winter.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Chris6382chris  
#18 Posted : 15 December 2021 00:08:58(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Maybe it has built in heating to keep the train room warm in winter.

Indeed, an additional heat source for the basement. It seems to be running fine and nothing has melted so I am going to go with it is normal and leave it at that. I appreciate the feedback I received. Thank you.

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline xxup  
#19 Posted : 26 January 2022 07:04:02(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Being Australia Day and bugger all meat for the BBQ available thanks to COVID, I got to run the trains today.

The train room is set at 23C with a low humidity of 45% (for this part of the world) and the eCOS 2 reads 52C with version 4.2.9 installed.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Chris6382chris  
#20 Posted : 26 January 2022 16:24:19(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Being Australia Day and bugger all meat for the BBQ available thanks to COVID, I got to run the trains today.

The train room is set at 23C with a low humidity of 45% (for this part of the world) and the eCOS 2 reads 52C with version 4.2.9 installed.

Thanks for this feedback. I am going to install the new firmware update later today and run some trains so I will see what kind of readings I get.

Thanks again.

Chris

Offline Donb  
#21 Posted : 26 January 2022 22:07:39(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi,

I have only had my new 50210 for about two weeks, after fixing an issue with a Viessmann brake module that was giving RailcomPlus fits, its running pretty good.
HW 2.1.1
SW 4.2.9
Running two trains with lights, sound etc drawing about 470mA avg for about an hour temp is 52C.
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ